Comic-Con: Superman still ‘jewel in the DC crown’

July 15, 2012 | 9:05 a.m.
man of steel Comic Con: Superman still jewel in the DC crown

A striking image from Warner Bros. featured on a “Man of Steel” poster at Comic-Con International (Warner Bros.)

Is “Man of Steel” laying the groundwork for a Justice League movie? Director Zack Snyder may have been hinting at that during the Warner Bros. panel at Comic-Con International on Saturday.

“Superman is the jewel in the DC crown,” Snyder told the Hall H audience of about 6,500. “And really what we’re trying to do is get his house in order, and then who knows what’s possible.”

red son1 Comic Con: Superman still jewel in the DC crown

Red Son (DC Comics)

Snyder and actor Henry Cavill answered audience questions after screening footage from the film, slated for a June 2013 release.

The footage began with glimpses of Clark Kent’s hometown and his childhood while a voice narrated, “What if a child dreamed of being something other than what society intended? What if a child aspired to something greater?”

The clip continued to explore the theme of Kent trying to find his place in a world unready to accept him; early on, his apparent rescue of children in a submerged school bus is seemingly met with suspicion. Later, Superman was shown in handcuffs, flanked by military.

The Clark Kent in the footage seems a far cry from Christopher Reeve‘s earnest, guileless and goofy character in Richard Donner’s 1978 film. Snyder said he wanted to make Superman more accessible.

“Superman’s always this kind of big, blue Boy Scout up on a throne, that nobody can really touch him,” Snyder said.

Cavill said he aimed to change that.

“You guys who know everything about him,” Cavill told the audience. “You’re there through thick and thin. It’s for everyone else out there as well who hasn’t quite experienced what Superman can be, hasn’t gone through comics books, hasn’t felt that world and seen how it changed. And with this, hopefully it can bring a modern version which everyone can associate with.”

deathofsuperman Comic Con: Superman still jewel in the DC crown

“The Death of Superman.” (DC Comics)

“I felt like they really clarified sort of what Superman is and what lengths he was willing to go to,” he said.

Snyder said “Man of Steel” isn’t based on a particular comic.

“When we started to work on the movie, I think the thing that we decided was we knew that the comic books existed, but the movies are their own thing,” he said. “We have great respect for the canon and great respect for the mythology of ‘Superman.’… I would say it is a mashing of stories and ideas.”

Snyder said it was a fitting project to follow “Watchmen,” his 2009 adaptation of Alan Mooore and Dave Gibbons‘ iconic comics epic.

“I just felt like that having done that, and having taken the masks so far off superheroes of what they’re all about … then to do something like this for me, and it’s all about being awesome and making him work and making him cool,” Snyder said.

An audience member asked Snyder who would win in a fight between his Superman and Christopher Nolan’s Batman. For Snyder, the answer was clear.

“I love Batman, right? He’s awesome,” Snyder said. “Literally awesome. But, like … really?”

portrait Comic Con: Superman still jewel in the DC crown

Henry Cavill., star of “Man of Steel” (Genaro Molina / Los Angeles Times)

Cavill said he felt the pressure of taking on the Last Son of Krypton’s mantle.

“It is pretty intense. I’m not going to lie. I’ve just been looking at that throughout this thing while you’ve been asking questions,” Cavill said, gesturing to a projection of the Superman logo on one of the Hall H screens. “I get to wear that on my chest. I just really, really hope that I’ve done everything that I need to do to please you guys.”

— Noelene Clark

zack snyder ladder Comic Con: Superman still jewel in the DC crown

Snyder: ‘There have been no other Superman films’

‘Man of Steel’: Can Superman still soar?

Snyder says Superman film has ‘date with destiny’

‘Man of Steel’: Cavill and speeding bullets

Snyder: Superman is a tough one to crack

Henry Cavill, raised to fly?

Henry Cavill: ‘Red Son’ was ’essential’ for me

‘Superman’ photos: The stars of Metropolis

Gay comics characters enjoying new prominence

Comic-Con: Fun on the fringes, no badge required

30 Responses to Comic-Con: Superman still ‘jewel in the DC crown’

1. mikyzptlk says:

"Cavill said he woke up an hour early and went to bed an hour late to exercise and prepare physically for the role. He also pored over comics — basically anything I could get my hands on,” he said, citing “The Death of Superman” and “The Return of Superman” as his favorites."

Cavill has officially earned my respect! I'm getting more and more excited about this as the news comes out.

2. david says:

no no no the are missing the whole point. superman is a boyscout, truth justice and yes the american way, hi is the light of the dc universe as Batman is the dark. thats what makes these 2 heros unique in all of comics lore to change either one is not to be true to there base charachter

3. flashtrum says:

Well if they are going to do a Justice League movie then they need to do something about the Flash. Always my favorite character and never a movie treatment (I do remember the short-lived TV show). One thing is for sure, Marvell knows how to get their characters in movies – and DC is really behind in that department. Maybe a dark Green Arrow movie as well. If Marvel can bring "Daredevil" and "Thing" to life, surely DC can do the same with more well-known characters as Flash and GA.

4. Chris says:

Everything about this interview suggests to me that Man of Steel is going to suck

5. The Vision says:

Under the DC canon of Superman/Batman stories, Supes has never once won a fight with Batman. Supes is tough, but Bats is crafty, and when it comes to crafty vs. tough, crafty wins every time. The standard recipe (it's been done a hundred times) is that Bats sees the fight coming long before it happens, packs his Kryptonite, and Supes doesn't stand a chance. My favorite variation on that theme was by Frank Miller, in one of his newer Dark Knight graphic novels, where Bats assembled stone gauntlets from Kryptoinite, and beat Superman to a bloody pulp. His face was *all* swelled up.

If Snyder doesn't know these things, he hasn't sufficiently studied the DC canon, and he needs to do some more coursework. Besides, the two shouldn't be fighting in the first place, because they're on the same team. It was all just a big misunderstanding, manufactured by Luthor for his own nefarious ends, and when Supes and Bats work out their differences, Luthor now has two elite superheroes pursuing him, rather than just one. Once again, Luthor is defeated by his own machinations, and balance is restored to the DC universe. Comic books are formula writing.

6. Trippydoo says:

Let's be real if superman really fought batman it would be over immediately the superman never uses his powers to the fullest.. but were talking a man who can move faster than u can see… he'd just whip into batman at mach 5 and make batman splatter art

7. Mark says:

This movie is going to "kick azz" in a way that no other movie about superman has been done before!! :)

8. Eddie Lee says:

What Superman desperately needs is a villain other than Luthor. Spiderman and Batman have rolled out a variety of bad guys and I believe that has really helped at the box office. Like so many long time greats Supes has a gallery of foes. I say drop Lex and bring on basically anyone else.

9. kushan says:

its never gonna work as long as he wears his costume…… i mean…. how do u trust a guy who wears a red underwear on top of his tight trouser

10. pondersunlimited says:

Hmmmmm having multiple doubts on the costume concept, I'm just not down with it.

11. I've had my doubts about casting and storyline prior to almost every superhero movie coming out. It's been since the horrible George Pal "Doc Savage" travesty since I've ended up really wanting my money back. That said, 1) The Superman costume thing: Why does an invulnerable alien need chain mail? 2) Nolan's Batman being dumbed down : Certainly no one would call him a "detective." 3) A GA movie? too late. The Avengers Hawkeye is already out there. 4) A Flash movie? Long overdue, but let's face it, they blew it on Green Lantern by aiming to sell Hot Wheels to the kiddies. If that's the level they're aiming for I'd rather they leave the Flash alone. 5) Superman vs Batman: This is the classic setup of plucky crafty humans overcoming seemingly invincible aliens and it's getting pretty boring. I wasn't a huge fan of Skyline, but nevertheless, if you accept the notion of an alien/aliens able to cross the galaxy to Earth, you have to concede that they would totally kick our asses, as Supes would totally kick Batman's sans Kryptonite.

12. Rob says:

Superman is the jewel in DC's crown? I think Batman might disagree.