Comic-Con 2011: Joss Whedon talks ‘Avengers,’ ‘Buffy’ on Broadway

July 23, 2011 | 5:04 p.m.
joss2 Comic Con 2011: Joss Whedon talks Avengers, Buffy on Broadway

Joss Whedon (Annie Wells / Los Angeles Times)

The ensemble of A-list actors starring in his upcoming “Avengers” movies makes a better team than the actual Avengers in the Marvel comic book that inspired the film, director Joss Whedon told fans at his Comic-Con International panel Saturday afternoon.

“What I find is that these characters mesh through these differences really well,” he told the capacity crowd at the Hilton Bayfront’s Indigo Ballroom. “And what I also find is these actors have a great time playing against each other, and they are, as a troupe, actually a much better team than the Avengers are.”

He said working on “Avengers” has been easier than he expected. “In fact, the only problem I’ve had with ‘The Avengers’ is: Where is the 14-year-old girl with superpowers?” he joked.

The creator of the wildly popular television series “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and its spin-off “Angel” gave a quick update on the Dark Horse comic book series featuring the same characters, then devoted the rest of the time to answering questions from fans. The new “Angel & Faith” series launches in August, and Season 9 of the Buffy comic series hits shelves in September, bringing the vamp-staking superhero back to the sort of world she inhabited in the TV show, Whedon said.

Season 8 took the “Scoobies” and new slayers out of a destroyed Sunnydale and made them part of a worldwide demon-fighting operation — a choice that ultimately “became an albatross,” Whedon said. “Kind of the point of Season 8 for me was, ‘Hey, we’re a comic, and we can do these things.’ People were more interested in her life than the fact that we could draw bigger things…. Having discovered that we can do more than the television show, I’ve discovered that I don’t really want to.”

Whedon also told fans he would love to take “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” to Broadway.

“I can’t say that I will, or that by the time I try to, anyone would want me to, but yeah, I think she belongs there,” Whedon told a cheering audience. “In the theater across from ‘Dr. Horrible,’” referring to his popular Web series “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog.”

He teased the “Dr. Horrible” sequel, saying that some songs have already been written and that they are “so good.” He also said he would love to do more with “Firefly,” though he has no projects on the front burner. “I’m waiting for someone to call me to make a ‘Serenity’ sequel,” he said, but after two minutes of thunderous applause, added: “… but they won’t.”

One fan asked Whedon whether he regretted creating or killing any of his characters.

“Every character that we had, we got to milk for some really interesting stories,” Whedon said. “If people didn’t like them, we either found a way to make them like them, or play that up as part of their persona…. I’m not big with regret. It’s not on my schedule.”

– Noelene Clark

buffy Comic Con 2011: Joss Whedon talks Avengers, Buffy on BroadwayDowney: Whedon brings ‘depths of discovery’ to ‘Avengers’

Sarah Michelle Gellar back in action on ‘Ringer’

Summer Glau reflects on Whedon, sci-fi women

Jed Whedon: Captain Hammer is comedy gold

‘Avengers’ assemble in New Mexico

‘Firefly’ farewell?: One Browncoat’s viewpoint

Hemsworth: Will hammer hit a shield in ‘Avengers’?

Branagh on the ‘crazy Marvel universe’

Guillermo del Toro, Tom Morello launch comics

My Chemical Romance: Our band was saved by comics

Comments

14 Responses to Comic-Con 2011: Joss Whedon talks ‘Avengers,’ ‘Buffy’ on Broadway

1. Kitty says:

I love Buffy, but I can't imagine a Broadway version of it. That said, when I read Wicked many years ago, I couldn't imagine it on stage, yet it's wonderful. How would they dust the vamps?

2. paul lane says:

Maybe he could film Green Lantern 2 and make it a lot better.

3. cynic says:

A whole lot of guys in Hollywood apparently never grew past the days when teenage girls controlled their minds and hormones.

• Susan says:

He's not a pedo, you moron. He just likes the idea of a "helpless" young girl being able to kick the ass of every guy who'd underestimate her, only a complete loser would assume anything else. . . unless you still think about underaged girls that way?

4. BloodEnvy says:

I loooove Buffy! And a broadway thing would be awesome, but I dee a few problems I would have with it.

Once More With Feeling would really be the only original type thing to do

I wouldn’t be able to see it,(I live in Aus)

And I wouldn’t want any replacement actors. mUch like the possibility of the new movie I say original cast or No WAY!

5. brettghampton says:

What's he going to say: "These Avengers aren't as good as the ones in the comics"? He's defining hubris. I hope he delivers. The post-credits trailer at the end of "Captain America: The First Avenger" looked promising, though.

6. cljoyner says:

I think Firefly and Serenity was totally "Cowboys and Alien" can't believe Favreau and Spielberg bill it as their new idea. You were the creator of cowboys and aliens. Serenity and Firefly showed it to best advantage….it was all there. They merely picked out a bit of your creative genius.

• brettghampton says:

Adulation is one thing, but don't get carried away. "Star Trek" was "Wagon Train" in space, according to creator Gene Roddenberry. So, Whedon didn't "invent" anything with "Serenity" and "Firefly" with respect to the "western in space" idea. Additionally, as was recently featured in the Times, there have been several "cowboys and aliens" movies dating back to the 1940's. Finally, where have you seen that Favreau "and Spielberg" are billing "Cowboys and Aliens" as "their new idea"? It's acknowledged that the film is based on someone else's graphic novel.

• Holly says:

Cowboy bebop, 'nuff said

7. Whedon is Great says:

Cowboy Bebop? Ehhh, I'd say Outlaw Star, and especially Trigun, have a more space-western feel than Bebop does, but it has a little of that feel too.

8. Guest 1138 says:

Actually there was a cartoon called Marshall Bravestar when I was a little kid. It was Cowboys and Aliens.

9. robin loves spike says:

There are no aliens in firefly nor in setenity. Revers are human. its just a simple futuristic space show/movie in the style and attitude of a western.

10. robin loves spike says: