DC Comics: First look at ‘The New 52’ commercial

Aug. 16, 2011 | 7:28 p.m.
superman DC Comics: First look at The New 52 commercial

Superman in a scene from DC Comics' "The New 52" commercial. (DC Comics)

Ready or not, the New 52 is coming. The massive (and controversial) DC Comics initiative — which will have the entire DC line of comics “start over” in numbering, beginning with Justice League No. 1 on Aug. 31. — is being promoted with a trailer, which you can see below for the first time anywhere. It will air in movie theaters as part of National CineMedia’s “FirstLook” pre-feature programming.

The preview spot features covers and inside art from issues such as Justice League No. 1, written by Geoff Johns and drawn by Jim Lee; Action Comics No. 1, written by Grant Morrison and drawn by Rags Morales; Batman No. 1 written by Scott Snyder and drawn by Greg Capullo; Wonder Woman No. 1 written by Brian Azzarello and drawn by Cliff Chiang; and Aquaman No. 1, written by Johns with art by Ivan Reis.

Hero Complex is also debuting a 2-minute extended version of the trailer, below, which will also be posted on DC’s website and Facebook.

— Noelene Clark

superman DC Comics: First look at The New 52 commercial ‘Superman’ first look: The new Man of Steel

DC will restart all of its titles with No. 1 in Sept.

Morrison to Hollywood: Make Superman a ‘brawler’

Milton Caniff’s ‘Steve Canyon’ flies again

Morrison’s twist: Wayne partners with Batman

Bridges: ‘R.I.P.D.’ movie is ‘really out there’

Morrison on class: Bruce has butler, Clark has boss

Morello’s ‘Orchid’: Suicide Girls meets Joan of Arc

Morrison takes Batman away from ‘blue-collar’ rage

Jim Lee and Geoff Johns seek DC’s heroic future

Grant Morrison: Superman is ‘our greatest-ever idea as a human species’

Comments

18 Responses to DC Comics: First look at ‘The New 52’ commercial

1. hall442 says:

Lame. Plain and simple. EPIC failture. Stop the rebooting; it pisses EVERYONE off.

Re-set the universe to Pre-Crisis. At least it WORKED then. It's been nothing but a MESS since that point, requiring re-writes and re-boots every few years.

Stop band-aiding the problem and FIX it the right way for a change.

• Earl Gray says:

Stop being such a hater, of course it's gonna be simple. DC don't want to scare people who have never heard of this reboot out of buying. I loved the way DC handeld Comic-Con, giving people a chance every day to ask and recieve reassurance from creators. I understood the fear when we first heard of it but come on, we know so much now that it's impossible not to be excited by at least a few creators. It opens the door to new comics even for me. And some people I bet are just wanting good stories and thats all they care for.

2. Brian Jacoby says:

Come on, get us the embed code!

3. Matías Nieto says:

Wow! A lot of panels and covers with background heavy metal music!!! Who's the creative genius who came up with this???

4. SHAZAM says:

You forgot about Captain Marvel aka SHAZAM! I think he deserves a comic, more than most of the DC Heroes.

5. Jason says:

Ummm If they're trying to hook new readers in, shouldn't they EXPLAIN what a "new #1" issue is to NON-comics savvy people? Maybe saying something like "START READING HERE" or whatever.

DC cracks me up. They act like they DON'T want new readers. They preach to the choir. To comics readers who already know how the thing goes down. Someone who's NEVER picked up a CB in his life won't get that this is a jumping on point unless you tell them… DC needs a marketing/PR department cuz apparently it's just Didio, Johns and Lee sitting in a room coming up with whatever they think works.

6. J ROCKA says:

So I showed this to a few people in office who are completely not comic book readers (DCs target audience)

Superman is wearing jeans?
    Aquaman looks cool.
    How come there are so many Batgirls
    Green Arrow is a Green Lantern
    I may check some of it out.
    Where is a comic shop
    So DC and Marvel are not the same

Interesting reactions. Not sure if a reboot was necessary, but hopefully it works. I thought the trailer was well done.

7. Blackhawk says:

If you don't like this new take on the DCU, don't worry, they're sure to do another reboot in a few years. And if you like this new rebooted continuity, don't get too attached to it because they're sure to throw it away and start again in a few years.

8. J(CREEPFREAK)SMITH says:

So many people hating on this!!! Bring it on DC. I applaud you for doing something different. I for one, will be buying all 52 number 1s to see what is good. Can't say how many I will continue picking up, but I am super excited. I have always liked marvel over dc, but it seems times are changing. BRING ON THE NEW 52!!!!

9. Steve says:

Woow, that was exciting, but there's almost no actual information at all. It doesn't even mention that every comic will be released digitally. Instead of citing the DC or regular Comixology apps for android, iOS, and Chrome it just gives the web address for a few seconds hoping someone will memorize it even though it's not clever or simple at all. Who ever thinks "OMG a website on a commercial I must go to it!" They probably should've just given the address for their main website, but even then finding their digital store from their is a bit of a chore… Take advantage of the social networks too. I know they're making these pages available later, but put them in the commercial if you're going to have that. Also, the music wasn't that great. Why not use some licensed music? Something that the audience will recognize and get them a little more excited.

• Andrew Johnson says:

Gotta agree with you there. IMO the music is very dark almost foreboding not music to say welcome to a new era. Also by omitting web addresses is not very useful at all — I suspect many readers who are tempted to get back into comics like myself but who are married, have kids, divorced etc haven't got the time or the inclination to journey into a comic book store. I think the DC is repeating the same mistake that decimated the music industry by not bringing their business model into the 21st century. Personally I do not the re-launch will encourage a massive new intake of new and young readers but I liked to be proved wrong.-

10. Needmovietrailers says:

Not sure rebooting the whole universe. I hope this idea brings stability in the DC Universe.

11. Jay says:

To find out more on the DCnU – Check out – http://www.comicbookandmoviereviews.com/

12. Ben Reilly says:

I want to read this stuff. I will read this stuff. YOU can't stop me.

Ben Reilly was the real Spider-man and he won't be back until they get a new EIC.

13. GeekBoy says:

In all fairness I think these were released mainly for feedback purposes. Hopefully they'll take in what people are saying an improve on it.

14. Dinthiar says:

What a terrible ad! It looks like those semi-animated Marvel cartoons from the 1960s. Way to move forward into the 20th century, DC!

15. Shannon says:

I don't read comic books, and I would like to. The problem: they're not easy to find and follow. I'd pay $30-40 a month for a digital pass that would let me read all of them.