It’s Geoff Johns’ universe, we just live in it. That’s how it feels these days for DC fans who find the prolific and passionate creator playing a key role in the feature film (“Green Lantern,” which hits theaters on June 17), on television’s (“Smallville,” which ends it decade-long run on Friday), in cyberspace (DC Universe Online) and, of course, the comics, where he’s filled entire bookshelves with tales of Flash, Green Lantern, Superman and many, many others. If you want to meet Johns, here’s the brightest day to do so: Saturday is Free Comic Book Day and the chief creative officer of DC Entertainment will be appearing at Earth 2 in Los Angeles from noon to 2 p.m. at the Sherman Oaks location (15017 Ventura Blvd.) and from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. at the Northridge location (8967 Reseda Blvd.). He’ll be signing a special edition of “Green Lantern,” which includes a preview of the “Flashpoint” miniseries that launches later this year.
Johns is just one of the industry stars on the scene Saturday. The FCBD website can help you find the nearest store and some of the special events, but here are few in Southern California that caught our eye. If you run a store and would like us to include you in this list, leave a message in the comments section and we’ll update as Saturday draws closer.:
- Mike Mignola (creator of “Hellboy,” “BPRD,” “Baltimore“ ) and fellow horror master Steve Niles (“Criminal Macabre,” “30 Days of Night,” “Doc Macabre“) lead a deep list of writers and artists who will descend on The Comic Bug (1807 Manhattan Beach Blvd.) in Manhattan Beach between noon and 3 p.m.
- Hollywood’s Golden Apple (7018 Melrose Ave.) will have longtime “Star Trek” star Walter Koenig and “The Walking Dead” creator Robert Kirkman among their many guests. There’s also a Thor scavenger hunt and poster signing and free Green Lantern Lipton Tea (?)
- Meltdown Comics (7522 Sunset Blvd.) will, appropriately, have the The Grilled Cheese Truck in attendance, along with signings by David Petersen, writer and artist of the “Mouse Guard,” and Brian Holguin, writer of The Dark Crystal series for Archaia, among others. Life-sized “Dark Crystal” movie statues of Skeksis will also be on display.
- Collector’s Paradise Comics & Gallery (7131 Winnetka Ave., Canoga Park) welcomes Image Comics co-founder Whilce Portacio, artist Tomm Coker (“Five Ronin” and “Daredevil Noir”), artist Tone Rodriguez (“Radioactive Man” and “Shadowhawk”) and more. Another truck sighting: Calbi Truck. The store also has a Pasadena location (319 S. Arroyo Parkway, formerly the site of Comic Odyssey) that artist JT Krul and Wolverine creator Len Wein will visit.
Additional signings/events (from the comments):
- Len Wein at Galaxy of Comics (17306 Saticoy St. Van Nuys, CA)
- Mike O’Hare at Geoffrey’s Comics (15900 Crenshaw Blvd., Gardena, CA)
- Jim McCann at DJ’s Universal Comics (11390 Ventura Blvd, Studio City, CA) from 11am-3pm, then at Collector’s Paradise Comics & Gallery (319 S. Arroyo Parkway Unit 4, Pasadena, CA) from 4-6pm.
- James Silvani at Nuclear Comics and Skate (28985 Golden Lantern #b107, Laguna Niguel, CA)
- The Secret Headquarters (3817 W Sunset Blvd. in Silver Lake) will have the Patty Wagon.
– Jevon Phillips and Geoff Boucher
RECENT AND RELATED
COVER GALLERY: Five decades of “Thor”