Marvel’s Joe Quesada on New 52: DC’s set ‘entire house’ on fire

March 07, 2012 | 2:06 p.m.
"Avengers vs. X-Men" No. 1 (Marvel Comics)

"Avengers vs. X-Men" No. 1 (Marvel Comics)

The entire Marvel Universe will feel the impact on April 4 when war breaks out in “Avengers vs. X-Men” No. 1, the publishing “event” that features two storied super-teams and — in a real-world rivalry — represents Marvel’s bid to reclaim the spotlight that shifted to DC Comics with the New 52, the landmark relaunch of every DC title that made national news in August and September.

But Joe Quesada, chief creative officer of Marvel Entertainment, scoffed when asked if “Avengers vs. X-Men” could be viewed as a response to the New 52 or any other DC initiative, for that matter. The Marvel exec said he’d been hearing those half-baked theories but that’s all they are if you look into the history of the planned showdown series.

“Yeah, of course — that’s what people want to think,” Quesada said. “But let’s be clear: The DC relaunch is a response to everything Marvel’s been doing, and not the other way around. You don’t set fire to your entire house for no good reason. And by the way, I tip my hat to them. They did something daring and it worked for them. They boosted sales of some of their books. But ‘Avengers vs. X-Men’ is something that’s been on our docket for publishing for several years now.”

Joe Quesada on stage. (Todd Wawrychuk / D23 Expo)

Joe Quesada onstage. (Todd Wawrychuk / D23 Expo)

The confrontation between the two super squads is keyed by very different views of the Phoenix Force — the Avengers see it as a global threat, the X-Men believe it could be the salvation of mutants everywhere. Marvel will be previewing “X-Men vs. Avengers” at WonderCon in Anaheim on March 17. Marvel’s executive editor, Tom Brevoort, and writer Jeph Loeb (now also the head of Marvel’s television projects, both live-action and animated) will be onstage for that presentation.

Quesada said the series couldn’t be launched before some other dominoes fell.

“It’s something that we’ve talked about I’d say for three to four years, but it wasn’t a story that we were ready to pull the trigger on yet because the X-Men had to go through a certain metamorphosis,” Quesada said. “You’ve seen that metamorphosis happen with Cyclops’ role changing, and characters like Hope had to be put into place. There was a lot of stuff that had to get to where it needed to be. So whether it was Spider-Man vs. Wolverine or some other event that Marvel is doing, someone’s going to say that it’s a response to DC. They can say what they want.”

– Jevon Phillips and Geoff Boucher

Darwyn Cooke found career in Spidey comic

Andrew Garfield: Fame terrifies me

‘Spider-Man’ ARG: A mystery arrives in the mail

Romita’s ‘Spider-Man’ more amazing than ever

Neal Adams: The monster genius of Spidey

Marc Webb feels ‘responsibility to reinvent’

Why the web-shooters are back

‘We’re reclaiming the poetry of the hero’

Raimi: ‘I would have done everything differently’

Kirsten Dunst: Spidey cast has ‘a lot to live up to

Comments

18 Responses to Marvel’s Joe Quesada on New 52: DC’s set ‘entire house’ on fire

1. Jamie Williams says:

Marvel's entire existence is a response to DC.

2. Joshi says:

For the last 10 years Marvel has been publishing "world changing" events which lastet about three months when they published the next "story of the century" event. This is getting old. In a few months we will then see the "death of a legend in avengers vs. avengers", or something like that…. So, for me it is nice to see what DC is doing these days with the new 52

3. dave says:

dc's charecters are set in no real world environments and other than the batman movies of recent times and green lantern all of their titles lag when it comes to the story telling aspect which marvel has had on lock since house of m… dc has become old and stagnant which is why they constantly need to reboot its titles and cannon every few years..hard to compete with over 50 years of nonstop stories and a continuem which has been a constant spanning multiple generations.. add that to the fact that marvels charecters have human flaws as opposed to dc's golden boy line up and slam!! there it is.. other than green lantern which has constantly had superior writting dc just cannot compete with the characters or the story telling..

• Golden Boy says:

That is the biggest pile of crap that I have ever read in my life. You do realize that most of Marvel's characters are rip offs of DC's minor characters don't you? The X-Men started as a Doom Patrol rip off and the FF are basically the Challengers of the Unknown, but with different uniforms. So many times I've seen Marvel just blatantly copy DC's characters and storylines: Thanos (Darkseid), Super-Adaptoid (Amazo), Secret Invasion (Millenium). The only difference is that Marvel tries to market the fact that their characters are whiny and emotionally immature as "being more human". Please. Marvel has been riding that wave since a few comic nerds said it back in the 70s. That doesn't make it true. Look at Green Arrow, Black Canary, Animal Man, Batman, Ra's al Ghul, Joker, etc. and then come tell me that DC doesn't have human characters.

And since when does the fact that a character has power mean that they can't have human emotions or flaws. Hal Jordan is one of the more flawed characters in comics, he has believable character traits that inhibit him from being his best, while whenever I read Spider-Man or Iron Man, all I see is momentary drama that is later fixed by the end of the issue. That is why my favorite run on Spider-Man will always bee J. Michael Straczynski's, simply because of the fact that he actually wrote Spider-Man as if he was an adult, as opposed to how Slott is writing him now (as if he's still a teenager).

Let's get things straight, I like both companies, but for the life of me, the current management at Marvel is some of the most pompous, arrogant, and egotistical I've seen. They've done nothing but drag down the characters, who at one point had actual personality. Now, every Marvel event is just mindless superhero fist-fights. Fear Itself, for example? God, I wish I could take back every second I spent reading that dreck. And now, they're going to do the same thing with Avengers v. X-Men. I'm not touching this event, thank you very much. I prefer my stories to have, you know…actual story. I'll stick with reading Animal Man, Batman, Swamp Thing, The Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman, which are all fantastic by the way.

Its simple, if you haven't gone through puberty yet, you probably prefer Marvel's current stories. I'll see you guys over at DC when your testicles drop.

• robert says:

Dude all comic borrow from one another. Dc stole its stories from actual mythology. SuperMan /John Carter, Green Arrow/ Robin Hood, Flash/ Helios, heck Wonder Woman is actually the Roman Goddess Diana. so stop being a stupid Fanboy. Dc suxz because the characters are only relatable to people who have no lives and wish they were the Gods. Hence why sales for dc blow. Movies for dc fail, look at Man of Steel a recycled Matrix actors and monsters included. Abysmal reviews, box office disappointment. On top of the Fact Jack Kirby created most of the original characters and he had his roots in Marvel not DC. He got hosed by both companies but he is the true creator of most of the big comics.

• Sciba says:

"Canon" my friend. And I agree with you.

4. Ex-DC fan says:

DC only managed to alienate die-hard fans with the stupid changes as sales plummet each passing month and are already near pre-reboot levels 6 mere months after the New 52 launch. Wanna bet that even JLA will only be selling 50k a year from now? Nielsen survey shows they only got 5 percent new readers but it does not show how many old ones they lost! Nice hole in your foot you shot there DC!

• Lex says:

Agreed, I was a DC and MARVEL fan…. since the 52 I have tried… I HATE IT!

I am HOOKED on Avengers vs X-Men tho!

5. Mikael says:

Marvel has been working on AvX "for years"? Right. No wonder they call them Marvel Zombies.

6. Marvel Maniac says:

DC is doing something revolutionary. While Marvel is giving us another Civil War (eyes rolling into the back of my head),with AvX. I wouldn't want Marvel to follow Dc's lead with a copy cat (52),but something's got to give. That being said, I'm always going to "make mine marvel" !

7. Golden Boy says:

Joe Quesada….just shut up: "a response to everything Marvel's done". Yeah, you mean like screwing up your own characters. Oh, and not to mention copying DC at every turn. The X-Men started as a Doom Patrol rip off and the FF are basically the Challengers of the Unknown, but with different uniforms. So many times I've seen Marvel just blatantly copy DC's characters and storylines: Thanos (Darkseid), Super-Adaptoid (Amazo), Secret Invasion (Millenium). The only difference is that Marvel tries to market the fact that their characters are whiny and emotionally immature as "being more human". Please. Marvel has been riding that wave since a few comic nerds said it back in the 70s. That doesn't make it true. Look at Green Arrow, Black Canary, Animal Man, Batman, Ra's al Ghul, Joker, etc. and then come tell me that DC doesn't have human characters.

And since when does the fact that a character has power mean that they can't have human emotions or flaws. Hal Jordan is one of the more flawed characters in comics, he has believable character traits that inhibit him from being his best, while whenever I read Spider-Man or Iron Man, all I see is momentary drama that is later fixed by the end of the issue. That is why my favorite run on Spider-Man will always be J. Michael Straczynski's, simply because of the fact that he actually wrote Spider-Man as if he was an adult, as opposed to how Slott is writing him now (as if he's still a teenager).

Let's get things straight, I like both companies, but for the life of me, the current management at Marvel is some of the most pompous, arrogant, and egotistical I've seen. They've done nothing but drag down the characters, who at one point had actual personality. Now, every Marvel event is just mindless superhero fist-fights. Fear Itself, for example? God, I wish I could take back every second I spent reading that dreck. And now, they're going to do the same thing with Avengers v. X-Men. I'm not touching this event, thank you very much. I prefer my stories to have, you know…an actual story. I'll stick with reading Animal Man, Batman, Swamp Thing, The Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman, which are all fantastic by the way.

Its simple, if you haven't gone through puberty yet, you probably prefer Marvel's current stories. I'll see you guys over at DC as soon as your voices drop.

• robert says:

Actually X-Men was written at the sametime as Doom Patrol. But due to publication delays didn’t not come out til three months after. It would have been impossible to copy Doom Patrol. However Doom Patrol was a clear rippoff of the Fantastic Four and has been long noted as such. Maybe you should look at the similarities of those two than open your mouth.

8. Golden Boy says:

9. Dave says:

Marvel has one thing going for it right now: Mark Waid's Daredevil. Which be the 3rd best book at DC (Behind Batman and Swamp Thing.) A big story at DC is "Character goes through life-changing event." (See Batman Court of the Owls) Big story at Marvel "Character A fights Character B" or as in AV vs X Group A fight Group B.

10. zoey says:

I personally love MARVEL!! Especially The Avengers and The X-men And i love all of this rivarly between DC and MARVEL. Like The Flash Vs. Quicksilver and junk like that (Quicksilver would totally win XD) But i like the idea of the most powerful super hero squads going against each other and you have to ask urself who would win? and this is my testimony! XD

11. Tom says:

The one good thing is we – the fans – are the winners. I mean I love Marvel AND DC but from different eras. So I can read New 52 and see what I like. I can go grab silver or golden age DC I love. I can collect silver age Marvel which was the start of something great! Let the companies knock themselves out. Then pick and choose what you love from the whole crazy mess! Right now, for me, I'm enjoying trying out New 52's (Batman, Batman & Robin) while at the same time reading silver and gold omnibuses from both companies. Excelsior!