Marvel’s new Thor is a woman — and is ‘Thor,’ not ‘She-Thor’

July 15, 2014 | 11:12 a.m.

Who says a woman can’t be the God of Thunder?

In October, a new, female Thor will rise to replace the Odinson that Marvel readers have known since “Journey Into Mystery” No. 83 in 1962, the company announced Tuesday morning on ABC’s “The View” talk show.

It’s a major shake-up of a Marvel bedrock character, and the company is hammering home that the change is no gimmick.

“This is not She-Thor,” said Jason Aaron, who will write the new series, in a statement. “This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is Thor. This is the Thor of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.”

And the one-word title bears that out: “Thor.” Aaron, writer of the current, acclaimed “Thor, God of Thunder,” will be joined by artist Russell Dauterman (“Cyclops,” “Supurbia”) in the new series, which finds the present Thor unable to wield the mystic hammer Mjolnir, which can grant any who hold it – provided they are worthy – the power of the thunder god.

“The inscription on Thor’s hammer reads, ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’ Well, it’s time to update that inscription,” Marvel editor Wil Moss said in a statement. “And this new Thor isn’t a temporary female substitute – she’s now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!”

Thor will join the swelling ranks of headlining heroines at Marvel: “Captain Marvel” (starring former Ms. Marvel Carol Danvers and written by Kelly Sue DeConnick) has inspired a fervent following known as the Carol Corps. A new G. Willow Wilson-written “Ms. Marvel,” featuring Pakistani American and Muslim teenager Kamala Khan, has impressed readers and critics. And recent ongoing series of “She-Hulk,” “Black Widow” and more have marked the company’s outreach to have even more women and girls join the traditionally largely male ranks of its readership.

But this may be the most thunderous arrival of a female-led Marvel title yet.

It is not the first time someone other than the outgoing Thor has held the hammer: His vast power (strength, weather and electric control, flight, opening interdimensional portals and more) has been granted at times to the alien Beta Ray Bill and human Eric Masterson, who became known as the hero Thunderstrike.

Marvel’s familiar Thor was introduced in 1960s stories as having been banished from Asgard by that realm’s leader, his father, Odin, as punishment for his arrogance. He lived on Earth under the guise of Dr. Donald Blake for years before being allowed to revert to his older form – and even then led a double life for years. (And, as comics go, later Dr. Blake became his own being, separate from Thor.)

So who will the new protector of the real of Asgard be? Sif? Angela? Marvel isn’t saying yet. Take your best guess in the comments section below.

– Blake Hennon and Jevon Phillips | @LATHeroComplex

RECENT AND RELATED:

"Big Hero 6" represents Disney Animation's first Marvel movie. (Disney)

‘Big Hero 6′ voice cast set

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ trailer: See more of Ronan the Accuser

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’: Nathan Fillion will appear in ‘fun’ cameo

‘Guardians of the Galxy posters: The oddball crew shoots, struts

Original Guardians of the Galaxy return in Dan Abnett’s ‘Guardians 3000′

Jason Aaron on ‘Southern Bastards’

‘Thor: The Dark World': Tom Hiddleston in disguise in Asgard, on stage

Comments

24 Responses to Marvel’s new Thor is a woman — and is ‘Thor,’ not ‘She-Thor’

1. lanin says:

Why lipstick?

2. Claus Talon says:

This is just political correctness run amok. Read my first "Journey into Mystery featuring Thor back in 1963 and he became one of my Marvel favorites and has always been, even though I'd stopped collecting at some point in the late 90's for reasons I can't even recall at this moment. Thankfully they've already produced at least three films with the original character intact-BUT sooner or later the film industry will screw that up also-. Just like they did with "Man of Steel" and the upcoming JLLA lead-in. Leave it to this new generation to screw up everything. Jack's remains are spinning like a tornado right about now.

3. MoonChild82 says:

not cool so what super hero is next first hey made Hal Jordan gay catch up with the times and now making Thor a woman this is just outta hand

• @mikewewerka says:

They didn't make Hal Jordan gay. Jesus, it's people like you that read headlines and make knee jerk reactions. They made the original Green Lantern, Alan Scott, gay, in a separate book all his own on Earth 2, hell, not even our universe. It's whole different take on the character, which is fine, seeing how there are tons of Lanterns out in the world and doesn't affect Hal at all.

Marvel's move on Thor is quite interesting, in that the Thor we know becomes "Unworthy" to hold his hammer, so a new "Thor" has taken his place, it will be a woman, who will take the mantle and name of Thor, she who holds the hammer. The Old Thor, who will give up the Thor name, will be given a different Nordic name and will still be a character in the comic.

Relax a little and read up before making such stupid statements.

4. Erasmus says:

I saw this coming a while ago when they replaced Loki with a potted plant.

5. j.r. says:

This is just stupid this is because of the pc and growing progressive bull crap the nation is becoiming I will no longer be a fan of the marvel comics or films thanks to the potus

• John says:

You're blaming this on the president? Please, you whiney little closed-minded person, for the good of all America, move to another country.

6. journey726624 says:

Why can't they come up with a different female hero, I think it is lazy to transform thor into a woman. Use your imagination and create the next generation of heroes instead of using old ideas and calling it new.

• Claus Talon says:

I agree 100%. There are plenty of simple ways to promote female heroines without bowing to the push to feminize EVERYTHING.

7. Chris says:

Good for Marvel. You may not like it, but it's bold. The character has been stale for awhile (even the Thor 2 movie was a bore — and I'm a fan of the first film) so I look forward to the new Thor

8. G Real says:

You have got to be kidding . Who ever thought this up should be fired . Thor has been a man for hundreds of years. The comic should be boycotted and marvel in general as a company. Who is next wolverine ,hulk, .?. Probably. I hope your fan base has the backbone to show you that your too lazy to create someone new.

• Matt says:

Wolverine already has a lady counterpart in X-23… Hulk has She-Hulk…Etc…

• Claus Talon says:

I don't think that is what G Real is saying. I think it's more like being against the complete replacement of the character-to which I am also opposed. I see nothing wrong with counterparts, but this gender and/or race swappings gotta stop/go. At least that's how I feel about it.

• @mikewewerka says:

Claus man, you need to read up, this isn't a gender swap, the Thor we know, will still exist in the comics, but without his hammer and the name Thor. He won't be "THOR" because for some reason, that they haven't revealed yet, he becomes unworthy to wield Mjolnir any longer. There are great screen shots of the first couple pages of the comic in drawn form online, google them, showing Thor depressed pleading with his Hammer, but he can't move it.

An unnamed and secret female who is worthy, then picks up the hammer and gains his powers and claims the name Thor. So the old Thor will go by a new name, Maybe just Odinson (his last name), but whatever the case, he'll be a supporting character in the comics. I personal think this take is clear and creative and not lazy. I want to know who she is (maybe Sif?!?) and I want to know why Thor has became unworthy to hold Mjolnir. To me, this has become really intriguing, something comic hasn't been in ages.

• Claus Talon says:

Ahem. I stand corrected on the gender swap statement I made in a moment of extreme emotional distress. I do that sometimes when encountering certain types of changes to My original FAVORITE Marvel character. It was because of those changes that I stopped reading and collecting in the first place! I read the synopsis as to the whys and wherefores concerning this particular "change" and found it to be quite-how should I put it-@#%!!?*$#*!!!! Sorry, but THAT is how I feel about it-Whether it's a gender swap or not-the character is a MALE ASGARDIAN, and this push to feminize all male roles needs to be checked. Its bordering on ridiculousness. I'm guessing the writer(s) got this notion from the crime commited in ,"Man of Steel" with turning Jimmy into Jenny and for one am sick of it! OOPS! there I go again-
        (serenity now, serenity now) -Ommmmm…

• Swaggyswag says:

Do you know anything about Marvel or are you talking from your assABCDEF because there is already a She-Hulk…

• Claus Talon says:

I don't think they should be fired, just ignore bad ideas.

9. jimbo says:

thor as a woman. that's stupid. what's next a lesbian relationship with lady sif?

10. Kat says:

I would have no problem in giving Thor a female counterpart, but making Thor INTO a woman? Totally takes away from the character? I'm a WOMAN and I disagree with this.

11. isaac says:

Whats up with the bullet shaped helmet, lol, i like the idea over all though. The reason why i like manga better than (some) american comics is because things change, people actually die and never come back! lol. So im always excited for change (for the most part) when it comes to marvel comics, ive been a fan since my older sisters introduced me to the world of comics as a kid…;)

12. Hannah says:

This is literally the dumbest thing ever! Im a woman and believe we should have more woman superheros, but this is not what I had i mind! Why can't you be creative?!?!

• John says:

Is it "literally the dumbest thing ever"? Really? Of all the dumb things this planet's people has generated, this is it for you? You don't get out much, do you? And how tiring is it to keep reading internet whiners complaining about the lack of creativity out there when these whiners have typically contributed absolutely nothing to the creative universe. Nothing. Instead of complaining about the lack of creativity at Marvel–or my favorite: this entity called "Hollywood"–why not show 'em all and create something original yourself? A crazy idea, huh, Hannah?

13. John says:

Funny how all you insecure, asocial nerds are speaking out with all this fear, anger, prejudice and unwillingness to expand your minds. Exactly the opposite of what all these fictitious, superhero characters allegedly were created to do.