Stephen King: ‘One of the best writers of all time’?

Sept. 27, 2011 | 1:57 p.m.
kingvampire Stephen King: One of the best writers of all time?

Stephen King wrote five issues of Scott Snyder's "American Vampire" (Mark Lennihan / Associated Press and Vertigo Comics)

Scott Snyder, a rising star in comics, worked with horror writer Stephen King on American Vampire,” Snyder’s ongoing Vertigo series. Hero Complex contributor Travis Walecka caught up with Snyder to chat about the series, about horror in general and about King, who today announced “Dr. Sleep,” a sequel to “The Shining,” in a three-part interview. In Part One of the interview, Snyder talked about “Swamp Thing,” one of two revered titles under DC’s relaunch. His second title, “Batman,” is the topic of Part Two of the interview. This is Part Three, the final installment.

TW: Horror plays a big role in your books. Where did you get this wild imagination?

SS: I don’t know, man. I feel like I watched too many horror movies as a kid. Growing up in Manhattan on East 23rd Street, there was a video store called the Video Stop on 26th Street on 3rd Avenue. They wouldn’t let a kid rent R-rated movies, but if you ordered them to your house, they would deliver them. So I used to watch “Friday the 13th,” “A Nightmare on Elm Street,” “Halloween,” “Pumpkinhead,” all those “Night of the Living Dead” movies, everything. I was just a huge fan. I don’t know if it was just watching the popular kids get killed, or I was just into special effects for a while — all the Rick Baker stuff. I’ve always grown up with horror stories in my DNA, I guess.

For the most part, and I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately because now I have kids, when I see something scary for them or when I read something about kids getting hurt, I can’t even really deal with it. When I write it, I can easily write about somebody eating a kid. No problem at all when I’m doing it. I’ve been thinking about it, and for me, really, really good horror is a character being challenged by sort of their greatest fear as it manifests itself in the form of either a monster or just a challenge. It really cuts to the heart of what that character is just afraid of. The story matters in that way, especially in comics, where you are taking these characters that are so heroic and have so many amazing qualities, and then going for something that you think is a great quality but also going for the weak side of that thing.

batmanjoker Stephen King: One of the best writers of all time?

An image from Scott Snyder's "Batman." (Greg Capullo and Jonathan Glapion / DC Comics)

TW: Can you give us some examples from the superhero world?

SS: For Superman, it’s almost like the fact that he’s a god, or almost a god, in terms of his limitless power can also be something that you could write a story about in a way that really frightens him about being completely alienated and lonely and turned upon by everyone. Or, for Batman, his knowledge of Gotham, his pathological and obsessive needs to not have connections to people and just be the best there is. You could easily do a story where that’s thrown in his face by somebody like the Joker who’s calling him crazy and saying, “You should live in the Asylum with us.” At that point the Bat-world is like Stephen King; it puts you in a situation where you face your fears, where there are terrible things you did … or the things that you don’t want to tell anyone about, but that you’re frightened of that are coming from life and coming for you in some way. In that way, I’ve always been a big fan of psychological horror. Or, it might just be that I watched too many of those slasher films in the ’80s.

TW: Did Stephen King influence your writing?

SS: Yeah, he’s a huge influence. When I was a kid, my folks sent me to a sleep-away camp for eight weeks, pretty much every summer for a while. But the first summer I went — I guess I was 7 or 8 — it was sort of an athletic camp, and I was sort of a chubby arts-and-crafts kid. I wasn’t particularly thrilled. Wasn’t quickly picked for teams and stuff like that. The counselor I had there in our bunk would read us a section from Stephen King’s fantasy novel, “The Eyes of the Dragon” every night. And he started on the first night of camp and ended on the last night of camp. That was the highlight of my day all through that summer. I’ll never forget. It was just magic listening to that story little by little unfold, with Flagg and Roland and all those characters. Stephen King played a big part in my wanting to become a writer, and he’s one of my favorite writers now too.

american vampire 22 Stephen King: One of the best writers of all time?

Cover art for "American Vampire" No. 22. (DC Comics)

TW: What was it like working with King on “American Vampire”? How did that collaboration come about?

SS: Working with him is a joy. How that came out was really weird. He read some of my stories and wrote a blurb for my short story collection after he had read them. I was just incredibly honored and thrilled. And then when I got “American Vampire” through at Vertigo and it was greenlit, they basically asked me if I would be willing to ask Steve King to do a blurb. After sending him the outline, he said, “Well, I’ll do you one better. I’d love to write an issue sometime, because I really love that character Skinner.” And I was like, “Well, if I tell them you want to write an issue they’re going to want you writing.” He was like, “Nah. They probably won’t because I never wrote a comic, and I don’t know if I’m any good. I don’t think they’ll really want me to do it.” I was like, “They’ll definitely want you to write that comic. I promise.” So, I called them on like a Friday and left a message: “I think Steve’s going to want to say he’s willing to write an issue.” Monday morning it was a call from the whole office: “Did you say Stephen King said he would be willing to write a whole issue of ‘American Vampire?’”

I wrote him a real tight outline — I thought with “Under the Dome” coming out and all this stuff that he would be really preoccupied. And one of the most inspiring things about working with him was that when he got on the book, he immediately began to outgrow that outline and didn’t really want to work from it, but worked from the bible of the characters. He didn’t do anything that was antithetical or at odds with what we had set off for the character. But he took those characters based on what we had said about them, and they were much richer and farther along, much more extreme in the best way and pushed them to their limit. It was so exciting to see.

TW: He ended up writing more than one issue.

SS: King would email me saying, “I wrote a little bit more,” and “I wrote a little bit more,” and “I wrote a little bit more.” And I was realizing that he must have had two or three issues at that point. Then, when I saw he had three issues, I told him, “Why don’t you just go five. I mean, you have more to say. It’s all crammed in there.” And so he did five issues, and I did five issues and we just set them up back to back. That’s when I had this panic attack where I was like, “What have I done? I had just invited one of the best writers of all time to write next to me on my very first comic book. I have completely torpedoed my whole career. How could I have been so stupid?” I did so many drafts of my early stuff on “American Vampire” just to be able to approximate the quality of what he was doing. It was a huge honor and a thrill, and he couldn’t be a nicer guy. He always has an open door on “American Vampire,” obviously. We’re eternally grateful for him contributing so much to the series.

– Travis Walecka

swamp thing Stephen King: One of the best writers of all time?‘Swamp Thing’: Scott Snyder’s dark plans for DC

‘Batman’: Scott Snyder on Bruce Wayne’s new nemesis

Stephen King: Rowling is ‘terrific,’ Meyer can’t write

‘I, Vampire’: DC Comics taps a new vein of horror

Nightwing and Captain Atom take off

DC hopes revamped heroes, digital can save the day

Green Arrow #1 and ‘New 52 midnight madness

Jim Lee and Geoff Johns seek DC’s heroic future

DC Comics: First look at ‘The New 52’ commercial

‘Superman’: The new Man of Steel

Comments

29 Responses to Stephen King: ‘One of the best writers of all time’?

1. Shane says:

No. Argument is invalid.

2. Ric says:

Without a doubt one of the best writers of all time…Long Live The King! : )

• Valorie says:

Agreed, His style changes somewhat throughout the years but I love them all. I do not, however, enjoy hearing him read his own stories on cd's….bad

3. Rog says:

Prolific, absolutely. Best? Hell no. Actually a terrible writer based on his dialogue and prose, but he spins a fantastic yarn and that's why his books fly off shelves.

• Steph says:

If you focus just on his dialogue and prose, then your not a reader, just a critic, which come a dime a dozen. And if his dialogue is so incredibly horrid to you, then why not bash the other great authors like Shakespeare, Dickens, shall I go on for you ? A story is a story regardless of its dialogue, prose or whatever else you have a problem with in King's novels, and that is ALL that matters.

• Magpye says:

With all due respect and the understanding that everyone has their own opinion, I have to disagree. Most fiction writers have one or two main characters they can reasonably fill out; King blows them away in works like The Stand and Under The Dome where he can completely immerse you in to fifteen-twenty-twenty five characters, and they all have depth and reality that most popular writers can't attain just sticking to those one or two main characters. Just my opinion, though.

4. Mark says:

@Rog:
    That's absolutely right! As a kid I was a fan of his stories. His fantasy and ideas just captivated me!

I quit reading him, though, and after a 20 year break I bought „Lisey’s Story“.

I tried to read it and had to stop after 150 pages – disgusted by his writing-style.

Doesn't anybody realize, that this is just commercial literature, stuffed with literally hundreds of ads in it?!

• Climber777 says:

I've read almost everything written by King and I admit "Lisey's Story" disappointed me a bit, but that is one fish in the ocean and not typical. Perhaps you just picked the wrong book to renew your reading interest in King? I've not seen any continuing decline in his writings.

• Steph says:

Stories are always open for interpretation but if you failed to see the beauty in Lisey's Story then maybe you shouldn't be reading any type of fiction at all. Lisey's Story was about loss, grief and abuse, plus the flawed unconditional love that binds a family together. And maybe a little known fact for you, LOTS of stories have brand names in them, even the classics. Example, Jules Verne, Around the World in 80 Days. People are entitled to their own opinions but Stephen King is one of the Greats and it has and will never had to do with his literature being even remotely commercial.

• Alex says:

Yes, himself.

5. Dana says:

Who cares if something it's commercial or not if it entertains you.

Yes. I feel to me he it's one of the greatest.

Also I'm not a big reader of comic books anymore, but American Vampire it's my favorite.

6. Mark says:

Pick up a copy of BAG OF BONES or The green mile then tell me hes not good!thats just two books,there are countless others.stephen king is truely A gifted wonderfull writter.

7. Megan says:

stephen king is a genius and literary mastermind. Definitely one of the greats.

8. Chris says:

Hopefully you all realize that there is no "best" and "worst" author of all time.

For many people, Shakespeare is the "best" of all time, whereas many other people think 'his' work is rubbish.

My point is, writing style and reading style is judged differently for each person. There really is no sense even debating the topic.

• Shivam says:

Well said Chris. Different authors like different fruits , you eat what you like , but each fruit is unique in its own flavor.

9. chip says:

Spins a fantasitc yarn; thats about a good an explaination of King's writing as I've ever heard. What more do you want? I read for fun and enjoyment; who else is better?

10. Steve says:

"I guess I was 7 or 8… the counselor I had there in our bunk would read us a section from Stephen King’s fantasy novel, “The Eyes of the Dragon” every night."

Impossible. If Snyder really was born in 1976, as his bio suggests, then he would have been 7 or 8 in 1983/84. "Eyes of the Dragon" wasn't released until 1987 ('88 on paperback).

• Bilbo says:

Ah, so your one of those guys that picks at everything? LOL! Few can recall their childhood with 100% clarity. If Stephen King helped in the creation of this comic then I am gonna have to get muh mits on it!

• Cass says:

The Eyes of the Dragon is a novel by Stephen King published in 1987. Previously, it was published as a limited edition hardcover by Philtrum Press in 1984.

11. Ditto says:

Pick him up and you can't put him down…

12. LOOSE CANNON says:

Then he was 10 or 11? Still a child.

13. neil says:

'I was like…" 'I was like…" 'I was like…" 'I was like…" And you're a writer? Sheesh.

• Robert says:

His interview seemed pretty articulate to me. But a complainer has to complain! Stephen King is amazing! Pet Semetary and The Dark Tower series were great reads. His books are unique and trippy just how I like them. ~<8*)

14. Deniz says:

Truly the Master of Horror and one of the greatest fiction writers. Thank you Sai King!

15. plaxton emmons says:

Stephen King is awesome!

16. Plaxton says:

Stephen King is my idol. As a published writer and really not famous at all, he's really done for me what Richard Pryor did for Eddie Murphy.

17. mistydoll says:

This interview made me giggle and smile from ear to ear. It's such an amazing feeling when your dreams start to pan out. Good job boys, and great interview Travis. I'm so inspired and proud of you Scott Snyder, and you too Stephen! You're first comic! *wink* I'm going to get Scott's short story collection, American Vampire and follow-up with a blog entry. Thanks again for the smiles.

18. Shivam says:

I have read only one book by him and that is ‘IT’.

I must say this the novel suffers from a bit over description , but the world building and character development was WOW. just awesome. i’ve not read many books in my life but i still have a feeling this book will go on as one of the best books i read in my life.