‘X-Men’ gay marriage: Marvel superhero proposes to his boyfriend

May 22, 2012 | 1:23 p.m.
astonishingxmen 50 preview1 X Men gay marriage: Marvel superhero proposes to his boyfriend

A preview of "Astonishing X-Men" #50 features Northstar and his boyfriend Kyle Jinadu. (Mike Merkins and Marjorie Liu / Marvel Comics)

astonishingxmen 50 preview2 X Men gay marriage: Marvel superhero proposes to his boyfriend

Northstar, Marvel’s first openly gay hero, is going to tie the knot with his boyfriend in mainstream superhero comics’ first same-sex wedding in an upcoming issue of “Astonishing X-Men.”

The announcement comes on the heels of DC co-publisher Dan DiDio’s revelation that an iconic DC character will reveal he is gay in a June issue, joining prominent lesbian character Batwoman beneath the rainbow banner.

Northstar, whose real name is Jean-Paul Beaubier, is a Canadian mutant whose superhuman abilities allow him to move and fly at supersonic speeds. He’s also a professional skier, Olympian, novelist and businessman who made his debut in “Alpha Flight” #10 in 1984. He openly revealed his sexuality eight years later, in 1992’s issue #106, and officially joined the X-Men in 2002.

In “Astonishing X-Men” #50, set to hit comic shop shelves Wednesday, Northstar proposes to his boyfriend, Kyle Jinadu, a fellow snowsports enthusiast who possesses no superpowers. The couple will seal the deal in issue #51 (see the preview above), slated for a June 20 release.

“The story of Northstar and Kyle is universal, and at the core of everything I write: a powerful love between two people who have to fight for it against all odds,” said comic writer Marjorie Liu in a statement. “This is the quintessential Marvel story, one that blends the modern world with the fantasy of superheroes in order to tell an exciting story that begins with a wedding and continues in ways you can’t imagine.”

Although Northstar’s story marks Marvel’s first gay wedding (complete with white tuxedos and wedding shoes), the X-Men comics are known for tackling civil rights — including gay, lesbian and transgender issues — in their panels. Much has been made of the parallels between the mutant outsiders of the comics and gay youngsters grappling with identity and stigma. Other gay and bisexual Marvel characters include Mystique, Colossus (the Ultimate version), Destiny, Karma and Graymalkin.

“The Marvel Universe has always reflected the world outside your window, so we strive to make sure our characters, relationships and stories are grounded in that reality,” Marvel’s editor in chief, Axel Alonso, said in a statement.

Check out the preview of #50 and #51 in the gallery above, or see the larger versions below.

Issue #50 Cover | Inside preview 1 | Inside preview 2 | Issue #51 Cover

[For the record, May 22, 4:15 p.m.: Though Northstar’s wedding will be the first same-sex wedding in the world of mainstream superhero comics, Archie Comics’ Kevin Keller beat the X-Man to the altar. Keller, Riverdale’s first gay character, got hitched to Dr. Clay Walker earlier this year in “Life With Archie” No. 16. Thanks to commenter Doug Abramson for reminding us!]

— Noelene Clark

Avengers VS X-Men #4

‘Avengers vs. X-Men’: Fighting the good fight

‘Avengers vs. X-Men’: Fans choose sides

Joss Whedon talks ‘Avengers’ and ‘X-Men’ parallels

‘Wild Children’ asks burning questions about education

Marvel’s Joe Quesada: DC set ‘entire house’ on fire

Jack Kirby’s son’s Marvel memories

‘Star Trek’ and ‘Doctor Who’ vs. CyberBorg

‘New Deadwardians’: ‘Downton’ with undead

‘Spider-Man’: Nicholas Hammond, reeling in the years

Checking in on the mutants with Kieron Gillen

77 Responses to ‘X-Men’ gay marriage: Marvel superhero proposes to his boyfriend

1. Biff says:

I am waiting for the full gay version comes out….G-Men. Don't keep me waiting!

2. Bud says:

YEAH!!!!!!! THANK YOU MARVEL!!!!!

3. Doug Abramson says:

Archie isn't a "mainstream" publisher anymore?

4. JTR says:

Ahh Come On……….

5. Paul says:

wait….Wiccan and Hulkling has been opening gay for awhile. Just saying. Its all over The Children's Crusade

6. true story says:

In other news: 58 other superheroes remain in the closet

7. Azn says:

Rumor has it that the She-Hulk is a transvestite.

8. Mike says:

figures he is Canadian

9. @chazhorn11 says:

excuse me sir, but i have many friends with two dads or two moms, and it turns out that they all turned out just fine.

10. Amanda Travis says:

If one person or one group are deprived of their Civil Rights, then everyone is deprived of their rights. Besides, what does it matter, who loves whom? We have wars and poverty, famine, sickness and the Super Rich, stealing from the middle class. I believe the world can handle a gay wedding!

11. Mloren says:

hmm… first gay superhero wedding? not sure on your criteria here but The Authority's Midnighter and Apollo were a gay married couple back in 1999. I don't believe their wedding was ever shown though as it occurred before the comic started but they were frequently referred to as being married. So maybe you're just counting weddings that actually occur in panel.

12. Marie says:

I wish it were Erik and Charles. RATS

13. Hector says:

…i don't see how this is necessary.

14. jerry says:

as a true marvel fan this upsets me..its taking a true classic and turning it into sumthing its not…i wonder wat stan lee’s thoughts are?

15. Bryan says:

What about Anole? from young-xmen

16. Tina says:

Come on now that's going a little to far don't you think?

17. scott says:

I think so. I would have thought that I could encourage my son to read xmen comics with me, but no longer. I wont be purchasing any comic or viewing a comic movie that encourages homosexuality.

18. Bleeps says:

I find this acceptable. Gays love being used as social pawns in hopes of pushing their own agenda. Pimp em out Marvel!!

19. Tammy Ellis says:

I'm waiting for the day when your sales/stocks plummet because you want to take an all-american classic and turn it into a nightmare for a few more bucks and to earn a few more "brownie points".Shame on you Marvel.

20. Omar says:

Marvel I have been a fan since I was a kid and still now as an adult. I am a GAY man thank you for the support unfortunately we still have ignorance in our world but these are struggles I go threw daily but I am PROUD of who I am! People fear what they do not understand!!!

21. NotForResale says:

I love how people commenting negatively act like X-Men is a 50's Puritan All-American title when the underlying theme has always been a band of outsiders no one likes, championing for equal status in their society. It's sad that the irony is lost on them.

22. yeli says:

you are a closed minded and prejudice individual…. comparing being gay to incest and pedophelia. where do you get off? next thing you know being disabled will be like contracting a deadly virus!!!

23. Jared says:

I honestly don't understand the controversy over homosexual men and women getting married. I think homosexual couples should be aloud the same marital rights as heterosexual couples. Just because there's a wedding between two males in this issue doesn't mean that it will turn children into homosexuals if they read it. I think it's a great idea on Marval's and I'm also glad that they had the guts to stand up for something that they believe in, evein if it does alienate some of their readers.

24. @RoYxRL says:

don't you all get what x-men is about? it's about fighting against bigotry,hatred and injustice in all it's forms. how can you be an x-men fan and be judgmental against people who are different? that goes against what the book stands for.

25. Guest says:

Actually, the article above has it wrong. The X-men comic above was advertised a few months in advance and was in production for several months. Dan Didio's statement concerning the DC comic character came as a response to take away the spotlight from Marvel and make fans guess who the character they are turning gay is and was done the same week the issue of the X-men comic that is on the stands came out.

26. Robot Sam says:

Wow, comics have finally found an appropriate place for black men; marrying gay superheros. I know you may think this is an insult but I am not the one putting them as the gay love interest in these comics. Hell they even made a black spiderman, and he was gay too.

27. David says:

This is sad, I hate to see how the media can influence people to believe that right is wrong, and wrong is right. Wake up people!

28. kitty says:

i've been reading marvel since i was a little girl and i mean the original ones that my dad got when he was young and i can honestly say this is rediculious. i have no problem with gay marrage and stuff but marvel comic shouldn't be changed for others. x-men isn't about supporting gay marrage, it's about supporting being different. i can honestly say that when i get old enough and start to raise a family of my own, i will not be letting my son or daughter read these new books.

29. Amanda says:

I think this is quite acceptable, because if you think about it, several comics had a friendship a bit like a love relationship, but they could not demonstrate the more so because of lack of acceptance of people. I found it pretty cool, but rather it was Erik and Charles.

30. Nadia says:

Wooot! Good job Marvel!

31. Silentnomorenana says:

As a Nana who thought of letting her grandchildren read comic books …that would be a big NO. God loves us all..but God said Marriage is for the coming together of a Man and Woman. Not 2 boys or two girls..That's called a Civil Union. Call it what it is. Don't try to take away what I have. Next they will be writing in the storyline that they have children.Try explaining that to my grandchildren…Oh the boys had to ask a girl for her baby & the girls had to ask a boy for his donation.

32. Ethan says:

Homosexuals are humans too. Don’t you think we deserve a superhero to support us too? X-men started out being a team based on differences. It was mutants fighting to prove to humans that they deserve the same rights and love just like them. They wanted to be noticed for the good they did even though they’re different. They wanted love and acceptance. Just like the lgbt community. Maybe you shouldn’t buy your kid anything if you’re saying you’re not going to because it has a gay character. Just keep your kid sheltered because we don’t need any more discrimination and hate in this world. I bet if that superhero was real and he saved your life or one of your family or friends, you’d have different opinions. Just to throw that out there.

33. Ronin says:

Lets just all be bi? xD

34. Guest says:

I guess if you figure in almost every superhero wearing tights, at least some of them are likely gay. But in all seriousness, this is completely unnecessary. I get the point to make kids growing up feel more "included" by producing superhero comic book characters that they may identify with, but why do it to the extent of "force feeding" its audience to just accept the lifestyle if they may not agree to it? Just create another batch of superheros, name the comic book something catchy, and market separately to a gay audience. Sorry if this sounds like I'm being a bigot, but really – I just don't understand. And Archie comics? C'mon. Let's take wholesome Riverdale and turn it into San Francisco. Sorry, but I just don't think that this is right. Another poster already said that they have to scan through comics now before buying for their kids – do you see what this is doing to the larger majority of your audience?

Oh, and now to really tick people off. The Bible defines marriage between a man and a woman. 'Nuff said. Of course, this will likely be what keeps this comment from making it past the moderator.

35. the A rater says:

Very disappointing!

36. Mark says:

I think it’s great that Marvel is showing all sides of the community and also gays and gay marriage. Although I had some problems with Logan being gay in a different multiverse ;)

I also think it’s weird that a Silentnomorenana would deny her grandkids comics based on gays in the comic. But doesnt mind all superheroes having perfect bodies in tight outfits…

37. kat says:

I don't get what's wrong with this. There are plenty of superheros who have girlfriends. Even if you don't agree with homosexuality, statistically it only makes sense that one of the guys has a boyfriend instead. And then I see a dad on here who won't buy his son these comics because of it? Yeah, because if you don't explain homosexuality to him now he'll never find out, right?