The “Star Wars” series is getting another shooter.
On Monday, Electronic Arts revealed that it is at work on “Star Wars: Battlefront” for next-gen consoles, teasing the title with a brief 34-second trailer that had the gaming press erupting in cheers.
The clip, which debuted at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles as part of the Electronic Entertainment Expo, features an AT-AT, the four-legged armored vehicle made famous in “Star Wars: Episode V — The Empire Strikes Back,” crushing a ship it had been pursuing.
The game is the first announced as part of a recent multi-year, multi-title licensing agreement between Electronic Arts and Disney.
Shortly after Disney acquired Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion in October. the latter said it would no longer develop games in-house under the LucasArts banner.
“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality ‘Star Wars’ games,” Lucasfilm said in a statement at the time.
A release date for “Star Wars: Battlefront” was not given, nor did Electronic Arts announce which consoles the game will be released on.
At the start of its press conference, however, Electronic Arts made clear that every game shown was being developed primarily for Sony’s PS4 and Microsoft’s Xbox One, consoles set to be released by the end of 2013.
Microsoft announced on Monday morning that the Xbox One would be released in November and retail for $499.
Sony was staging a press conference Monday evening to discuss its PS4 plans.
It was long believed that DICE, creators of the popular “Battlefield” shooters, would develop a game within the “Star Wars: Battlefront” universe. The two titles are known for having similar gameplay styles and earlier this year Electronic Arts said it was opening an L.A.-based studio for the Stockholm-based DICE, which EA controls.
The “Star Wars: Battlefront” brand was first introduced in 2004, and a sequel was issued the following year.
The forthcoming Electronic Arts game is simply titled “Star Wars: Battlefront,” but a post on the official “Star Wars” website indicated the title could be tentative.
“Star Wars: Battlefront” wasn’t the only surprise Electronic Arts had on Monday.
The company announced it is developing a third-person shooter based on the popular mobile game “Plants vs. Zombies.” Subtitled “Garden Warfare,” the lighthearted shooter is being developed for the Xbox One and will later come to the Xbox 360.
The company also announced it is rebooting its action-adventure series “Mirror’s Edge” for the PS4 and Xbox One. The future-set sci-fi game, released in 2008, features one of the rare female protagonists in games.
— Todd Martens
Follow us on Twitter: @LATHeroComplex
RECENT AND RELATED
‘Batman: Arkham Origins’ aims for Nolan’s darkness