E3 2014: ‘Star Wars: Battlefront 3′ video hypes emotion, not gameplay

June 09, 2014 | 3:31 p.m.

A new trailer for the long anticipated “Star Wars: Battlefront 3″ finally arrived Monday during a video presentation during Electronic Arts’ Electronic Entertainment Expo news conference held at the Shrine Auditorium & Expo Hall in Los Angeles.

The video (see above) features an inside look detailing the effort put forth by programmers and artists from Stockholm-based game developer DICE in crafting the latest big-budget “Star Wars” game.

The EA-backed crew traveled to the Lucas Cultural Arts Museum to get an up-close look at the props used in the movies — including speeder bikes and blasters, as well as R2-D2.

They then headed to the original movie locations to, as DICE’s Niklas Fegraeus states in the voice-over, “not just capture the environments, but the emotions they evoke as well.”

The trailer shows little in the way of actual gameplay, relying heavily on John Williams’ evocative “Star Wars” score and many well-placed shots of different landscapes and vehicles, before culminating in a quick action sequence on what looks to be Endor in the middle of a laser fight on speeder bikes through the forest.

Are you excited for “Star Wars: Battlefront 3″? What do you think of the new trailer? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.

– Jevon Phillips

Follow us on Twitter: @LATHeroComplex

'Star Wars' George Lucas Mark Hamill‘Clone Wars’: Dave Filoni on Ahsoka’s fate

‘Star Wars’ comics leaving Dark Horse in 2015

E3 2014: ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection’ due for Xbox One on Nov. 11

Star Wars Instagram: Darth Vader takes a selfie

Xbox One vs. PS4: The video game console evolution

‘Star Wars Rebels’ reveals the Inquisitor

Frank Oz ready to return to Yoda for spinoff

Abrams directing ‘Star Wars’: Many voices cry out

Lucas: ‘Star Wars’ stood on the shoulders of ‘Trek’

‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ to open Dec. 18, 2015

Comments

15 Responses to E3 2014: ‘Star Wars: Battlefront 3′ video hypes emotion, not gameplay

1. Daniel Lowery says:

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't have much to show, but I'm glad that they care about their work and I'm sure they know how much this means to a lot of fans so it should be a really good game

2. GP2E Co-leader says:

I guess it was too early in the game's development for us to expect any actual gameplay footage.

3. @EE_Zed says:

Battlefront I & II were such incredible games. The space battle gameplay system was so incredible, and the multiplayer was strategic and intense. This isn't Battlefield or COD or someshit DICE, we don't want an incredible graphics update with the same tired FPS shooter crap, with a BS 'rail-shooter' story mode and shoot em up gameplay. We don't want added lensflare packs and DLC weapons packs. Don't hide lazy game developing in a shiny, graphically updated box. I'm begging you, please don't screw this up; its the game I've been waiting for almost 10 years. You'll break my heart if its BF 5: the Starwarsening

4. vernal says:

As a long time fan of swbf1 wich spawned the birth of true shooter gaming i hope that this game stay's true to the story and feel of the original. Graphics with these systems are no challenge but game play is truly what battlefront heads like myself are looking for . Im a fan of the battlefield series so I was excited to hear dice was taking point on this.I see two maps Hoth&Endor in this trailer however swbf1 was known for much more get it right and you have loyal followers like my klan {TNT} wich was born on Battlefront Por Vida cant wait {TNT}

• Mike says:

I agree with the other guest— what are you smoking, dude? Yeah, the game is awesome- I agree. However there have been other games that are more influential to "true shooter gaming".

5. guest says:

vernal are you nuts? battlefront 1 spawned the birth (that phrase alone makes no sense) of true shooter gaming?

wolfenstein, doom, unreal tournament, battlefield 1942, call of duty- all out before star wars battlefront…

6. im disappointed says:

wheres halo combat evolved?… your list is incomplete.

7. Han Solo says:

I've got a bad feeling about this.

8. Darth Vader says:

Luke, I am your father.

9. Just another gamer says:

first I want to make clear that these are just my opinions and don't mean to offend anyone. I played battlefront 2 before one and I played it on the ps2 after online was shut down. I had know idea I could play online. latter on I bought 1 and 2 for my pc and started to play online. it was a whole new game. I played against far better people than me with the occasional lucky kill I got in. I heard about other games of course but all I played for at least 2 months was those games. when i played battlefield 4 at a friends house i noticed a change in the game. i noticed better graphics and more "realism" in the game overall. in battlefront 1/2 it is completely different. realism, if one was to call it, was almost never applied. battlefield was one hit kill while battlefront (as some classes) you had to take/ deal more damage for a kill. when i heard about battlefront 3, i didn't know how to react at first. yes i was excited but in the back of my mind there was doubt. i looked at all the news on battlefront 3 and came across an article from the designer. it was not in fact a battlefront 3, it was just battlefront. he(the designer)goes on about how it is a new gameplay for players and they are starting a new series. does this mean that the battlefront i knew as a kid was done. i thought about this for a while. even though the game(battlefront (3)) may be awesome and i will buy it know matter what, will it be a continuation from the series or different. some games have made the transfer from "older" to "newer" without tripping. i don't know what battlefront (3) might look like but i hope it isn't a huge leap. i relize that some things will have to change i just hope the whole game doesn't. again this is just my opinion and not trying to hate a game that i like.i hope i didn't offend anyone seeing as i wasn't trying.

10. Moo says:

I would love to play this game and it seems like they are putting lots of effort into it but if there ain't LAN I won't buy it.