Microsoft to unveil next-gen Xbox on May 21

April 24, 2013 | 2:25 p.m.
Microsoft will unveil its Xbox 360 successor on May 21. Above is a screenshot of the invite sent to media today. (Microsoft)

Microsoft will unveil the successor to the Xbox 360 at a press event at its Redmond, Wash., campus on May 21, pulling back the curtain on its home console plans just weeks before the June Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles. Media invites went out this morning, and Microsoft exec Larry Hryb posted a blog to hype the event, which will be live-streamed.

“On that day,” Xbox programming director Hryb wrote, “we’ll share our vision for Xbox, and give you a real taste of the future. Then, 19 days later at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, we’ll continue the conversation and showcase our full lineup of blockbuster games.”

Microsoft is the last of the major home console makers to disclose its next generation system. Nintendo’s Wii U was released in late 2012 and Sony threw a lavish press event in February to announce its PS4, although Sony didn’t actually show the system in action.

Both the new Xbox and the PS4 are expected to be released by the end of 2013.

Since Sony revealed some of the details on the PS4, which the company described as a “supercharged PC” with a revamped, touchpad-enabled controller, there’s been plenty of speculation as to what direction Microsoft would take. Hryb’s post that the Xbox announcement will dazzle by presenting a “new generation of games, TV and entertainment” indicates the company will reveal far more than just games.

Press reports have indicated that the Xbox will communicate directly with home cable boxes via an HDMI connection, potentially allowing the system to more easily become an entertainment hub for the living room. Nintendo’s Wii U has made a similar pitch, as its TVii feature lets users search and view favorite programs and movies whether on TV or streaming from providers like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon.

The May 21 Xbox announcement will be broadcast live at 10 a.m. PDT on Xbox.com, Xbox LIVE and, for television viewers in North America, Spike TV.

– Todd Martens

RECENT AND RELATED:

'Bioshock Infinite'

‘Guacamelee!’ review: Colorful game honors Day of the Dead traditions

‘Bioshock Infinite’ review: Violence, with a social agenda

Nintendo vows to rethink ‘Zelda’ series

‘Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon’ review

Nintendo announces ‘Year of Luigi’

‘Fire Emblem: Awakening’ review: Love hurts

Nintendo’s Wii U: Must-have games

‘Tomb Raider’ now battling video game stereotypes

‘Star Trek the Video Game’: Paramount aims to stun

Ron Gilbert’s ‘The Cave’ puts adventure back in play

Comments

16 Responses to Microsoft to unveil next-gen Xbox on May 21

1. Roadshow says:

I can't wait to hear about what xbox will bring for this next generation but I pity the fool that actually thinks xbox is or ever has been cool. Cable box is nothing compared to what PS3 already does, add what PS4 will bring and it will be the ultimate console.

Xbox future: Pay to play, pay to stream, pay to use basic features like browser/cross game chat, no free games like PS+, no free exclusive content like PS gamers get, xbox will continue to have expensive proprietary hardware like the HDD and wifi the 360 had and will probably lack standard hardware the competition has but yet still keep the cost high just like they did 360.

• Sony? says:

I assume you have never owned an Xbox, or you would not have made such an idiotic post. Having owned all three current gen systems, I can say that I have my likes and dislikes for each system. But in the future, do your homework and look at some actual stats and figures when it comes to system sell, paid users and such. Then and only then you can see Microsoft handing Sony their a$$.

• reality says:

everything he said was accurate. why don't u attempt to contest a single point instead of just calling it idiotic. u have to pay for xbox live while psn is free. playstation plus costs far less than xbox live and there are tons of free games for ps3 and vita. ps3 has a blu-ray player, and built-in wifi, which was only added recently after years of gouging ppl for every possible accessory on a machine with a 50% fail rate

• Xbox future says:

Pay to play…

• skytag says:

I pity people who have to belittle total strangers to feel good about themselves.

2. fitnestdaily says:

Can’t wait… Microsoft knows what I want! :)

3. David Davey says:

my kids are stoked… and so am I…

4. Methos Word says:

back compatible or i go to pc gaming

• beermebeerme says:

…it is time, Obi-Wan, to consider building your own Death Star.

It might be back compatible for a little while but support for old (new this week) games probably won't happen for long, if ever.

5. Jim W. says:

@Roadshow
    Really? Console fanboy-ism? That was cute in 3rd grade, but most of us are older now and could care less about the next console generation.

6. Dave says:

It’s about time! probably be $1000 or close to it

7. Dick says:

That is my birthday!!!! 21st of May

8. th3j4ckle says:

Sigh, I have to say. Owning all 3 and having been a console freak since day one, only ever skipping the Sega Saturn cause I was smart enough to know it was a sinking ship, I have to admit that Xbox just doesnt get it. I agree with the earlier post in that making me pay to just use Netflix on the console and have to pay for netflix again, is just plain DUMB. Ps3 didnt make me do this, neither did nintendo. Get with it. I paid for one year of 360 and dropped it and picked up the PS3 service which really understands it's base. Give me free games monthly for a $40.00 per year service and STILL let me use the other apps like netflix etc even if I don't. Duh!! I may buy the next xbox, but I sure as well wont pay for the service.

9. Damian says:

I believe the 360 had a 50 hardware failure the first year, Still excited

10. mike says:

I love xbox and always will but the costs of owning a 360 over ps is way more. Season passes and all the downloadable content per popular game. Its steep for those with bills who want to still be able to enjoy a new game with new content…not to mention they can drop the price whenever. So y not make it affordable to start…its just another case of greed that all microsoft owners chose without a fight…its just the same as gss prices and cigarette prices..we all still pay. I’ll forever be a xbox man over sony…both systems have their ups and downs

11. Jmbejji07 says: