PS4: We recap the best moments, from ‘Watch_Dogs’ to ‘Destiny’

Feb. 21, 2013 | 12:20 p.m.

The PS4 was unveiled last night — did you miss it? Don’t worry, we’ve got your recap. In an event that stretched on for hours, Sony showed off the Playstation 4 for the world to see, even if it didn’t show what the physical console itself looks like.

Amid Sony’s hype, bold promises and the claims of the PS4’s inevitable superiority were a number of game demos, conceptual trailers and more from both first- and third-party publishers. Look below for every clip you may have missed, or wish to re-watch, from last night’s event.

“Killzone: Shadow Fall”

Sony’s premier first-person shooter, the fourth installment of “Killzone” follows in its predecessors’ footsteps, looking to be a continued spectacle of explosions, iron-sight gunplay and a seemingly never-ending stream of Helghast.

“Watch_Dogs”

Ubisoft’s new IP stole the show during last year’s E3 conference, and it may have done the same for Sony’s PS4 reveal. On display was what Ubisoft claimed was an example of the emergent gameplay offered by its new open-world effort. “Watch_Dogs” is a confirmed PS4 launch title.

Quantic Dream’s tech demo

Perhaps the most impressive display of the PS4’s graphical power, “Heavy Rain” developer Quantic Dream unveiled just a taste of the tech it’ll be using for future PS4 projects.

“Deep Down”

Capcom’s latest IP looks like a mix between its own “Dragon’s Dogma” and the “Dark Souls” series, serving as a fantasy-focused showcase for the company’s new engine, code-named “Panta Rhei.”

“Destiny”

Bungie, now a third-party developer after leaving Microsoft and the “Halo” franchise behind, confirmed Wednesday that not only will upcoming FPS “Destiny” be on the PS3 and the PS4 (on launch at that), but the game will feature exclusive Playstation content.

“Infamous: Second Son”

The third entry in Sucker Punch’s “Infamous” series, “Second Son” appears to take a break from series star Cole MacGrath in favor of a new protagonist, one with a decidedly more political focus.

“The Witness”

The long-awaited successor to the indie darling platformer “Braid,” Jonathan Blow’s “The Witness” looks like a “Myst”-inspired next-gen offering, one that Blow promised would be a lean, mean puzzle-focused machine.

“DriveClub”

Instead of tantalizing racing fans with another installment in the “Gran Turismo” series, Sony revealed a new racing game with a focus on social integration.

“Knack”

The very first game unveiled at Sony’s conference, “Knack” evokes the character-based titles like “Crash Bandicoot” and “Spyro” that helped fuel the first Playstation’s success.

And finally, Sony unveiled a trailer for the PS4 itself:

Weigh in on your own favorite moments, or your skepticism about Sony’s upcoming hardware and lineup of games, below.

– Morgan Little

ALSO:

PHOTOS: A look back on the PlayStation

Violent video games: The blame game

Sony promises ‘personalized gaming’ with PS4

Comments

13 Responses to PS4: We recap the best moments, from ‘Watch_Dogs’ to ‘Destiny’

1. khalif says:

i cant wait until this release!

2. J.M. says:

Still no word on backwards compatibility I see. Same with the whole used games argument. TBH, I don't see anything here that the PS3 could not offer in some capacity, so it would seem this is just another scheme to make money and get one over on Nintendo and Microsoft. Aside from MAYBE The Witness, there is really nothing that would make me want this console, even if it were free. Bottom line: I'm not sold.

• Ian says:

Not to mention the fact that its computing/graphics capabilities won't even be up-to-date when it releases later this year – to think that the console crowd will be stuck with this machine for the better part of next 10 years almost makes me feel bad for them.

• Gaucho420 says:

That's silly. I wasn't blown away by the PS4 presentation, but that won't make me run to a PC either. You either like PC gaming or you don't…and most, do not and most don't care that your rig does a better job than their console.

In the end, its about having fun and having grass, water or glass look slightly less realistic doesn't really take away from the fun, as all graphics look good now-a-days anyways.

• Clay says:

8 core processor wont be up to date??? Let me know when you have an 8 core and will talk

3. LOT says:

@J.M.
    They said that It would not be backwards compatible with the PS3 but they are working on getting a cloud service up to allow backwards compatibility with all PlayStation titles.

4. cliff says:

it was announced that it will not be backwards compatible, but it will play used games. Also what you will get when all game developers move away from ps3 and xbox 360 and move to ps4 and the new xbox which also comes out this fall, you will miss all new games

5. Dadrobit says:

They confirmed during the conference that there will be /no/ backwards compatibility. However they also said that they plan to eventually make every Playstation game made downloadable on the PS4.

6. Gaucho420 says:

The streaming service for backwards compatibility will not be free…you can count on that. So for me, that's not backwards compatibility, if I have to pay money for the same game I already own. Overall, as a huge PS3 fan…I am not that impressed with this system, YET. They need to show more games and better ones. Until I care about the games, the rest truly means nothing.

And I will add, when I first bought my 360 years ago, the first year was pretty pathetic in terms of games put out. The PS4 looks to be about the same. And finally, what is the cost? $400 to $500…but what do you get with that?

A game? an HDMI cable? One joystick? Too much is left unanswered to get excited.

7. Gaucho420 says:

8. Andrew says:

Idk about the lineup, Destiny just seems like Halo MMO, the graphics have not been improved, and the game play seem identical, Quantic Dream seemed like they where full of it with nothing substantial to offer (anyone can commit to one graphical detail but it doesn't mean you have anything resembling a game); and Infamous has not been improved by Second Son, its just another sequel…

As for the playstation itself, i seems like they want people to be better integrated, whereas i just want a good game. Just because a game has an online element doesn't mean I will try it out. I dislike the focus on this aspect of gaming, I often play games in an effort to get away for reality for a few hours, the last thing i want is my phone popping up with messages about how much Gold i have made, or getting a message during a game, having to pause the game, finding out whether or not it is a legit message, or if someone is send a "U SUX NOOB!' message, and then trying to type a reply that will take 10 minutes because it is on a controller.

Thank god Wachdogs and Deep Down seem committed to raising the bar.

9. chris says:

Yeah, you will be able to stream games from all 3 previous systems. It's better than nothing I guess, but it sucks you'll have to pay again for something you already own

10. corey says:

quick question did they release an exact release date or just that its coming out in fall….and i think because its not backwards compatible makes it a bit of a let down…but still graphics and system seem pretty good…im just hoping that they release the final fantasy game they showed the tech demo for a while ago..that looked awesome