This post has been corrected, as indicated below.
“Sonic Lost World,” the latest adventure to feature Sonic the Hedgehog, will be released exclusively to the Wii U and hand-held 3DS consoles, part of a multigame agreement destined to boost Sonic’s presence on Nintendo’s next-generation system, Sega and Nintendo have confirmed.
Although a release date has not been set for “Sonic Lost World,” the title is said to be a new action platform game. More information about the game is expected prior to the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles during the week of June 11.
Sonic will also topline another new title announced Friday, “Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games,” coming soon to the Wii U.
Once intended to give Sega and its Genesis platform an iconic character to rival Nintendo and its famed Super Mario Bros., the ultra-fast and spiked-hair hedgehog is now part of the Nintendo family.
“The onetime rivalry between Mario and Sonic has grown into a friendship that has never been closer,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime in a statement. He added that the announcement with Sega demonstrates “the commitment we have to bringing great games to the Wii U platform.”
The exclusive relationship between Sega and Nintendo regarding Sonic will extend for two years and three forthcoming titles, a Sega spokesman confirmed. The third and final title of that agreement has not yet been detailed.
Since its release last year, the Wii U has seen the release of few new titles and many of its planned games pushed back for a summer or fall release. While new consoles from Sony and Microsoft will certainly attract most of the E3 attention, Nintendo could regain some momentum with a lineup of exclusive game content.
To that end, Nintendo has set firm release dates for two titles once intended for the Wii U’s launch window.
“Pikmin 3″ is now due Aug. 3 and the superhero-themed “The Wonderful 101″ will be in stores Sept. 15. Nintendo unveiled the release dates, as well as its closer relationship with Sega, as part of its “Nintendo Direct” series, a sort of online news conference aimed at fans rather than the media.
Nintendo also intends next month to give fans a closer look at many of its E3 offerings.
While E3 is open only to members of the media and the game industry, Nintendo has partnered with mass retailer Best Buy to offer fans playable previews of upcoming 2013 games during E3 week. The company has not yet announced what content will be available to sample at Best Buy.
Nintendo stated Friday that “New Super Luigi U” will be released as a stand-alone title.
Originally intended as a downloadable expansion to “New Super Mario Bros. U,” the title will boast 82 updated courses and a new playable character in multiplayer mode — Nabbit, who won’t take damage when he touches enemies.
Those who own “New Super Mario Bros. U” can get the Luigi-themed content for a $19.99 download on June 20. Otherwise, “New Super Luigi U” will be released as a standalone game for $30 on Aug. 25.
[For the record, 3:15 p.m. May 17: An earlier version of this post incorrectly gave the name of the Electronic Entertainment Expo as the Entertainment Electronic Expo.]
– Todd Martens
Follow us on Twitter: @LATHeroComplex
RECENT AND RELATED: