Xbox One: Microsoft will require Internet connection for new console

June 06, 2013 | 6:52 p.m.

Microsoft Corp.'s Don Mattrick unveils the next-generation Xbox One entertainment and gaming console system, Tuesday at an event in Redmond, Wash. It's been eight years since the launch of the Xbox 360. (Ted S. Warren / Associated Press)

Don Mattrick, president of Microsoft Corp.'s Interactive Entertainment Business, reveals the new Xbox One console at the company's headquarters in Redmond, Wash. (Microsoft / PRNewsFoto)

Microsoft Corp.'s Don Mattrick unveils the next-generation Xbox One entertainment and gaming console system. (Ted S. Warren / Associated Press)

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates is shown in a video during the unveiling of the Xbox One entertainment and gaming console system Tuesday, (Ted S. Warren / Associated Press)

Xbox One users will be able to watch TV while chatting with friends. (Microsoft)

Xbox One users will be able to watch movies while chatting with friends. (Microsoft)

A scene from the upcoming Xbox One game "Call of Duty: Ghosts." (Activision / Microsoft)

A scene from the Xbox One game "Call of Duty: Ghosts." (Activision / Microsoft)

Microsoft unveiled its new Xbox One console Tuesday, May 21, 2013. (Microsoft)

Microsoft’s new Xbox One home video game console will require a periodic network connection in order to game, the company stated on Thursday.

As a sort of prerequisite to play on one’s home console, the Xbox One will need to be connected to the Internet at least once every 24 hours if one wishes to game offline. If a user tries to access a game library on a friend’s Xbox One, then the system will require a network connection at least once per hour.

Microsoft said that a “persistent connection” is not needed to game on the Xbox One, but the company is limiting how long one can play offline.

“With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library,” the company posted on its site today. “Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies. “

FULL COVERAGE: Xbox One unveiling

Months prior to the release of Xbox One, rumors swirled that the home entertainment system would require some form of “always-on” Internet connectivity to function. Doing so brings some advantages to the player, such as the Xbox One’s ability to store a digital copy of a game in the cloud, which will allow users to access a game library from any Xbox One system.

While Microsoft has said in the past that the Xbox One would not require users to be online 24-7 to game, the company waited until today, just five days before it brings its console and a slate of games to Los Angeles for the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), to clarify the Xbox One’s connectivity policies. Some form of always-on connectivity is widely seen as being a way to cut down or eliminate piracy.

To that end, Microsoft clarified its policy on used games. It’s common practice today for many a gamer to sell an older or used title to a retailer who specializes in used game sales, and Microsoft said such a practice will be left entirely up to the publisher of the game.

This is an integral feature of the Xbox One because once a game is installed via a disc, the disc is no longer required.

FULL COVERAGE: PS4 unveiling

“Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers,” the company posted. “Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this.”

The ability to loan or rent games will not be supported at Xbox One’s launch. Microsoft said the company is “exploring” the possibility of adding such features at a later date.

Xbox One will allow those who buy and install a game to give it to a friend by transferring the license. “There are two requirements,” the company posted. “You can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.”

Microsoft recommends Xbox One users have  a broadband connection of at least 1.5 Mbps. “Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you’re not playing,” the company said.

The company also revealed additional sharing options, as up to 10 members of a family may log in and play from the shared games library on any Xbox One. A company spokeswoman declined to comment on how additional family members are determined.

“Just like today, a family member can play your copy of ‘Forza Motorsport’ at a friend’s house,” Microsoft wrote. “Only now, they will see not just ‘Forza,’ but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.”

Nintendo’s Wii U does not require an Internet connection for those who buy game discs, and Sony has stated that its upcoming PS4 will not either. The Xbox One and PS4 are both due to be released by the end of the year.

– Todd Martens

Follow us on Twitter: @LATHeroComplex

RECENT AND RELATED:

'Batman: Arkham Origins' (Warner Bros. Interactive)

Xbox One focuses on managing content, not gaming

‘Call of Duty: Ghosts’ wows with a dog

Xbox One unveiled; ‘Halo’ TV series announced

‘Fantasia: Music Evolved’ adds pop music to franchise

‘Halo: Spartan Assault’ expands universe to mobile

‘The Evil Within’: Shinji Mikami returns

‘Destiny’ trailer: All action, no gameplay

‘Batman: Arkham Origins’ aims for Nolan’s darkness

‘Tearaway’: Folklore, paper create modern experience

‘The Last of Us’ will make you cry

Comments

80 Responses to Xbox One: Microsoft will require Internet connection for new console

1. Gene says:

This is crazy. I do not play games online and do not plan to do so. I'll see what PS4 is up to after G3.

2. Daniel says:

Since Microsoft requires a connection once every 24 hours. If they ever get hacked like sony did a few years back then you could potentially be weeks without being able to play a game, even offline! This makes me want to get the new xbox even more…

3. Zak says:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Microsoft just shot themselves in foot big time.

• Saffy says:

Yes! Totally agree with you. If anyone buys an Xbox after this they are mad! We don't want to live in a Nanny State and we don't have to, there is plenty of competition out there, so sensible people will go elsewhere!! Bye Bye XBox 1!

4. thenewworldsuckage says:

Anyone who buys this box-o-cr@p and into Microsucks vision of gaming's future (with all the drm and content control) is an idiot. MS's partnering with EA is an indication of the direction they want gaming to go, and it does not benefit the end user, you the gamer.

5. Chris says:

So I will not be buying an xbox one then.

6. Eli L. says:

…and this marks the end of Microsoft’s dominance in Western markets. Truly unfortunate, I really wanted to buy this console.

7. hameed says:

Time of Jtagging the Xbox is over
    wow…how smart Microsoft…You just a decision to bring down your sales yourself…
    playstation 4 is gonna rock if they dont make the internet connection mandatory!!!

8. dissapointed says:

and to think i was considering buying one, not anymore after reading this

9. RICHS986 says:

Not everyone is as fortunate as you pal, and not everyone wants a company to tell them when to take a crap either!

• Dieter says:

It's not a big deal if the internet works all the time or you always have access to the internet, but what if I want to go hunting for a week or so and I take my xbox with me to the cabin..

• Squigs says:

Yeah… a HUGE percentage of the U.S. (think rural, dude) does not have access to fiber of any kind…

10. Benjamin says:

I just happened to come across this site and even tho its not that big of a deal to most people. People like me who are in the armed forces. This poses a big problem. Being deployed is not the greatest thing. But at the end of the day when I have a free hour or two. I like to play my video games and chill with friends while I do it. Just like a lot of other people who are civilians. This is a big blow to me when it comes to being a Microsoft fan. I was really hoping that after everyone was talking about not wanting this that they would have done away with it. There is still time for them to change it. But I feel like that is just me reaching with hope. We will have to see what Sony has coming up. I feel like Sony is going to capitalize on this.

• Adrienne says:

Husband said the SAAAAAME thing about deployments (he's af, so usually decent deployments where they can take an xbox)

11. sad.disapointed.. says:

Microsft I do not have an at home internet connection the only internet i have is my phone….I will not be getting your console this year…..sadens me thee most….

12. Xbox None says:

Xbox One redefines what "offline gaming" means. But no, the internet is not a dongle for M$oft to use at it's pleasure and profit. And Xbox is not going to take over my living room. Given the latest NSA wiretapping news, who wouldn't think that the always-on Xbox One Kinect will be used to monitor citizens in their homes? Now that M$oft has laid their cards on the table, the Xbox One isn't an option for me; maybe the PS4 will be; we'll see.

13. Dude, Try living on top a mountain in Colorado. We have 3g here and it comes and goes. Bittorrent is our best friend. Xbox is history for me. Play Station please no always online requirement.

14. verydisappointed says:

What is going on with Microsoft lately? It's almost like they've decided to try to tell consumers what they can and can't do. They also decided to tell them how they can do it. I mean, you must have internet to play a game? Really. Though many of us do have internet, sometimes it's nice to just turn on a console and play a game without having to worry about multi-player or messages from others. If your area's internet goes out for say a week, for whatever the reason, you can't play a game to help pass the time? Really?!?

And to add to this issue Microsoft isn't just thwarting things with the Xbox, but also their main product the OS. It's like their trying to tell people what can and can't be. It doesn't matter what people want, it's all about what Microsoft wants.

This is screwed up and sad. Microsoft has, almost literally, killed the PC market with their release and near absolute pushing of the Windows 8 OS, and now it's going to demolish all of its success with this release of their console.

Why would anybody want to support Microsoft when Microsoft's trying to tell you what you must do with your own purchases? If I want to play a game on a console that I purchased, I should be able to do so when and how I want. Not when Microsoft gets a log in.

• Walter says:

Exactly. Truly sad. I was going to buy the next XBox based on the competence of the 360 that went before it and the promise of the improved kinect on the new Xbox, but now? No way.

15. alex says:

Hope this xbox one fails miserably.

16. Chris says:

"This is an integral feature of the Xbox One because once a game is installed via a disc, the disc is no longer required" Who wrote this article? Once a game is installed onto the hard drive of the Xbox, the disc is STILL required. Has the person who wrote this article ever played on an Xbox before?

• brendan says:

Your an idiot. They wrote it correctly. They’re saying once you download a game on the NEW Xbox you don’t need the disk anymore.

• Anonymous says:

have you even watched the xbox conference? it clearly states once installed you dont need a disc to play..

• dev says:

You would be transferring the licence on the disc also that's why the disc will be useless

17. Anonymous says:

Both consoles are identical. The only real difference is the PS4 is running DDR5 while the X1 is going with the DDR3, so from a hardware standpoint the PS4 is bettter than the X1. Do some research next time you want to start the fanboy war. Oh, and for the record, 20% of American households currently don't have internet. Also, not every gamer wants to play online. Just from your short rant I'm guessing you think playing hours of CoD makes you a "gamer" and console expert.

• Walter says:

Yes, not to mention the rest of the world. There are large parts of the world which are quite capable and willing to buy xboxen, but which do not yet have continuous access to the internet.

18. DEDMOJO says:

You are all forgetting that there's not just the internet "always on" issue, but also the Kinect "always on" issue, and it's the Kinect that I find the most troubling. Really, I have to have a Microsoft camera, a corporate eye, pointed at me and ON at all times, probably taking the occasional shot of what I'm doing and how I'm reacting to games and videos for market research, or the damn machine won't work! Sorry, Microsoft, you've overestimated how willing I'd be to let BIG BROTHER into my house in order to play some games and watch a few Blu Rays. I will not be buying this device in its current form.

• DrMageep says:

As much as I agree about the corporate eye and how terrifying it is after the recent right infringing NSA announcements.. Technically you could just toss a pair of underwear over the camera and be set lol

19. Phillip says:

It probably won't be a big deal for most people. But I live in an area where our internet is spotty, at best. If it goes out, as it tends to do, I'm out of luck to use something I paid for, which irritates me. If I were to send my son with the system to his grandparents, who don't have the internet in their home, it would brick in 24 hours. Sorry, but that is a major concern for me, one that will cause me to buy the new Nintendo for my kid over the Xbox.

20. BigMeech says:

Wow I am done with XBOX

21. darrell day says:

After losing the server for my favorite xbox game this year,And now needing a connection to play off line.Worse yet,can only trade game once.Will not purchase new xbox ,seems untrustworthy.

22. spenser says:

i never really was xbox360 fan… i was intrested in the xbox one when i seen lumaroom..but now that i see this im thinking noo, even though my connection is 24 hours this is still a BIG red flag for me.. because if my internet company decides to crap out for a few days which has happen… i dont want to think about not being able to game..this isnt a complete no but on a scale of 1-10 i was at a 8 now im at like a 5

23. Failure says:

Too bad…I was looking forward to a new Xbox console. Always on and no backwards compatibility is BS. I can use compatibility setting for Windows 95 my Windows 7 laptop. Why can't Microsoft do the same for the Xbox.
    Microsoft has a system out for almost 10 years now…generates a huge game library both physical and through Xbox Live. Then they decide not to support any of it? Are they on glue? And the inability to play used games. Yet another great idea.
    Everything I was hoping Microsoft would not do with its new system….it did.
    I guess it's back to the PS. Always like PS but preferred the Xbox.

24. Jeremy says:

Let's see… in the US, broadband Internet saturation is around 77-78%. (that drops even lower in rural areas.) Population in the US is 313.9 million. So that means that somewhere in the neighborhood of 72 MILLION people do not have the Internet.

Remove your head from your arse there, bud. This isn't a "fanboy" issue at all.

25. brian says:

lol u guys honestly think the ps4 is not going to implement the same thing?

• Certified Troll says:

That's what people said about the PlayStation network "Oh you think PSN won't start charging fees for people to play games online?" Well guess what? 7 years later they still HAVEN'T which means I have an 350 extra dollars in my bank account. So "lol" all you want Xbot but the fact of the matter is NO I don't think Sony is going to implement the same thing because until M$, Sony actually CARES about it's customers.

26. YeYo_oNe says:

Time to change to the PS. I have both the x-box and the x-box Kinect. I don't play online I'm not about to pay just to play on line. Hope the PS4 does not make the same mistake and makes it game console internet dependent.

27. Joe B says:

Obviously Microsoft didn't get the message.

Another poster brought up the excellent point… what if their servers get hacked and brought down? You could lose your ability to play games for as long as it takes Microsoft to fix things.

Also, in light of the recent NSA PRISM revelations (That involve Microsoft, among other tech companies): Microsoft has a backdoor for the NSA to freely access their servers so they can mine data. Combine this with the fact that Kinect can monitor things like audio, video and your heart rate… is anyone else even a little creeped out by the possibilities? I don't agree with the encroaching surveillance state, and a foot has to be put down somewhere before it does get to a point where the NSA gets the ability to monitor free speech in your living room. I sound paranoid, but the XBox does indeed provide a useful plank in that framework, so the possibility does exist for abuse.

Regardless, I wouldn't buy the new XBox. I wholeheartedly disagree with Microsoft's stance on used games. They can sugar-coat it all they want, but they are going to try and find a way to double-dip into the money that they make off of the initial sales of games. It is anti-consumer, and so I will not support them.

In order to fix this, Microsoft would need to 1) Leave used game sales alone, and 2) enable the console to play offline, and 3) ensure that the console is Indi-Developer friendly. To the best of my knowledge, Sony is doing all of these things, so that's the console that I'll buy. I'd consider the WiiU, but I'm pretty sure that it'll be the Wii all over again – cheap shovelware games, and a lack of adult titles and quality RPGs.

• AnonUser says:

"before it does get to a point where the NSA gets the ability to monitor free speech in your living room"? Sorry to burst your bubble dude, but that's already been the case for decades

Not that I agree with it. This is completely unconstitutional

George Orwell anyone?

28. Brave says:

Sorry chuckles, if Sony decides to play opposite of what microsoft is doing, then it's a big win for Sony. If they're smart, they'll pass on the constant internet access as everyone does not have internet access. Have you climbed out of your box lately?

29. seb says:

I was considering buying the xbox 1 with all accessories for multiplayer. This internet connection prerequisite to play offline is an outrage and just threw off the xbox bandwagon.
    Goodbye!

30. grapefruit says:

Yeah Microsoft is really dropping the ball here. It doesnt seem like they are even thinking with a clear mind on this. I read one of the posters ask the question of “what if the Microsoft servers get hacked a brought down and we cant even play offline while they fix it?”..since they want to do this, a lot of bitter customers are going to go after Microsoft in that regard just to shut it down. Sony, may even attack their servers to boost their own sales. this route of constant internet access is scary because there is the possiblity of the gov shutting down the internet and killing the gaming market all in one. With all this talk of violent games causing ppl to commit crimes who knows what could happen. Im sorry but I dont want my kinnect giving these ppl constant surveillance of me in my own bedroom. Needless to say..I will not be buying the new xbox. Sony u better not screw this up. Sony is a better system anyway..free online play and better flow/graphics. And their systems are built better and last longer.

• J.B. says:

See, you were doing good until the end.

Free Online play does not equal better.

Graphics are basically the same.

PS3s actually have just as high a failure rate, but Sony does better at keeping that info out of the news.

31. EJ S. says:

PC gaming here we come!

32. nonono says:

Sorry but I like to own my own game I like to install on more than one system , forget all this cloud gaming crap. Microsoft you done messed up forcing people to use internet. Give me a PC anyday its better than Console anyways.

33. Army says:

What about the soldiers overseas in the desert?

34. jeff says:

Looks like the zune will have a friend in heaven

35. paul says:

ok man i owne a xbox 360 and what happens when your ISP (internet service provider) goes down for a few days, come talk to me when you cant play your fanboy xbox1 the next morning because you get booted because you have no internet, and yes it still happens.

36. AnonUser says:

Forcing people to be online against their will in order to play an offline game is absurd. The fact that you fail to acknowledge how absurd this is only reflects the fact that you are extremely naive and easily influenced. I for one, don't let anyone dictate my future to me. If I want to stay offline, I'll stay offline.

37. Danny says:

Good luck Xbox! I'm buying the PS4 !!!!

38. Jim says:

Was anyone surprised at these announcements? I laughed out loud when I read the latest requirements. It reminds me of the same hoops we’ve jumped through in the last decade, with music and video. To me, it smells so much like what the RIAA and MPAA try to do, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to hear that representatives of each were involved in the decision making at Microsoft. And, as with those two entities, the only people that suffer when such actions are taken, are the people who want to play by the rules. Whether it be through an internet connection, or a chip in a TV, or an HDMI cable, the only ones who ‘pay’ or have to alter how they want to ‘play’, is Joe Blow consumer. The ones who want to cheat the system will still find a way to do it regardless of what is in place – there’s probably someone working on a USB workaround as I write this. Thanks Microsoft…you just took an innovator, and made him a laggard…to use a life cycle term…

39. coakl says:

Another Microsoft disaster in the making.

Looks like the same idiots who created Windows 8, are tinkering with the Xbox.

40. J says:

Never had PS before. Time to try something new I guess.

41. Pay Bills says:

internet is the way of the future…..but your mommy and daddy probably pay for it.

42. Sylvious Majakube says:

I am from Namibia a country in Africa i own both consoles the Xbox 360 and PS3, i mostly play offline because INTERNET connection in this part of the world is very expensive, now with these next gen consoles that require an always on connection i feel like we have been left out of the gaming market this time this is very sad, i have been playing video games since childhood, please re-think your ideas not all countries are like the states.

43. brendan says:

Microsoft…as a huge fan of the xbox 360. You are DEFF burning your bridges. ARE YALL STUPID OR JUST GREEDY. At this rate you’ll sell a whole 10 xbox 1s for christmas to idiots. Sorry but when I bought the xbox 360 my internet wifi wasn’t strong enough for the slim. So I guess I won’t be getting a xbox 1…sorry but I’m not paing 500 bucks for a console ima have to pay yall ten bucks a month to play and 50 a month for internet. Guess I’m going back to Sony…wonder how much sony paid yall…

44. Jesse Wilson says:

I wonder if Microsoft reads this and realizes the mistake they are making hopefully they fix it. Seems like they are gonna lose a lot of loyal customers including me I have always chose Xbox until now.

45. jerry says:

just think everyone theres still some xbox fans out there thats going to bye this cr@p i hope no one does they will half to change,after all no money no market its up to us! user name uwatofk2

46. XBOX NONE says:

You have to pay $500 and yet you dont own the thing. Microsoft still controls when you can use it. There has got to be something wrong with that. I have always had an xbox, but now that will be over with the release of the next gen consoles. I will be switching to the PS4. Sales will tank worldwide for the XBOX NONE.

47. what have microsoft done!!! says:

this is crap with the whole always online thing but the X1 still has halo exclusive that will keep a few loyal customers, sony only need halo to convince all the xbox loyal to change over. they have most of the decent games already

48. Brad says:

Microsoft,
    I think you have finally gone off the deep end here. I personally am a pro Xbox fan vs PS, but you have made it difficult to choose your console this time around. Although I will miss you and the games I have come to enjoy, Sony will become my new home if the internet requirement is not abolished completely.
    I don't want "changes" to the internet policy, it should simply be taken out.
    If you want to lose customers and never get a profit from all the hard work you have put into making the next best console then go ahead and keep your crap how it is. Because that's what it is, crap.
    Best Regards,
    Brad

49. Seth says:

Here is a summary of everything I know about Xbox 1:

1) requires a connection to the Internet once every 24 hours which will alienate many consumers and the Armed Forces who are deployed as well as those who cannot get the Internet,

2) requires the Kinnect to be connected so Big Brother can potentially watch you, hear you, and detect your heart rate,

3) limit the used game market by allowing you to sell to only one other person and being able to track that due to the internet connection policy,

4) the Xbox 1 is not backwards compatible with the 360 so if my 360 console dies I will have to buy another one if I want to play my old games.

One of these four points would almost be a dealbreaker alone. I explained all of this to my wife and she prohibits me from getting an Xbox… not that I would want to anyway. Time to convert to PS!

50. I know they want to make money, but did they really think anyone would buy a console with such a ridiculous amount of rules and restrictions? I really hope no one buys this so Microsoft can see how stupid they are.

51. Evan says:

I'm a little confused on the Internet restrictions, and Microsoft really needs to clear things up. My main Internet does not reach my room, so we have an extension. But the extension is plugged into a spot where if we shut the lights off, the extension stops working. So if I am on vacation, and my lights are off? How am I supposed to connect to the Internet? It's not like I don't have Internet!

OR is the 24 hour thing only referring to playing offline? Like, I can play offline for 24 hours before I need to reconnect. I guess my question is if I don't connect to the Internet at least once in 24 hours, am I never going to be able to play games online?

52. An Ex-Xbox Fan says:

Based on Research I have done over the last 7 days, I have determined the Xbox One to provide a whole new level of gaming technology. HOWEVER, I am highly concerned by the mandatory internet connection and Mandatory active kinect device. A camera that allows a more interactive gaming is great, but so help me God, If I see that camera focus on me even once while my Xbox is online Ill sue for invasion of privacy. I will NOT have a camera in my home watching my family and sending video/ audio/ Vitals Data to an unknown entity. The first time someone hacks MS, And it WILL happen since MS OS coding is fundamentally flawed, They will have access to data on every single person who has ever passed in front of a Kinect Sensor. On top of all this, they are doing the same crap PS3 did with the Backwards complatibility. I never bought a PS3 because of it, and now Xbox is saying Ill have to have 2 systems to play the games they are going to release in the next year? Not on their life. I am done with Xbox unless they fix this crap. I think it's time I did some research on PS4. I will probably be reserving their new system with the money I was originally planning on using for the Xbox One. I have to say I am extraordinarily disappointed in MS, but not terribly surprised.

53. Pastromi says:

The one thing that was pushing me to buy an Xbox One was DeadRising 3 because I'm a huge zombie fan but after seeing the dozens of mistakes Microsoft has made its not even worth it. I don't think Microsoft improved a single thing with this new system when it comes to gaming.

54. Pastromi says:

The system isn't scheduled for release until November so maybe Microsoft will actually read these comments and fix everything they have botched. I'm doubting they care considering how much pride they take in displeasing their fans worldwide.

55. peter says:

Just want to say that everyone doesnt have internet, and i dont play online games. We shouldnt have to be online just to play a game, thats crazy!!!

56. phillip says:

That is really disappointing from Microsoft

57. phillip says:

Me to I'm done with Xbox to Microsoft forgot about the people not everybody wants to be online gets expensive on internet

58. TDJ says:

Another big brother, greed driven scam by Microsoft. They can stick their console. I will NOT be wasting money on it. Neither should anyone else. Like everything else, if people simply boycott their products they will have to listen. People power. It is stronger than any corporation.

59. Asashii says:

any idots gonna spend all that money and hope it doesnt break after a couple of months, some idiots bought three xbox 360s because they would keep breaking, and you wonder why peoiple dont have money for health care, my xbox 360 didnt last long, it a crappy product. anyone with atleast a fifth grade education would NOT keep buying a faulty and sub par product. I will not buy any microsoft products, i dont settle because i am smart enough not to keep giving such a waste company my money. get a computer and just be done with it!!!!!