Batman casting: Josh Brolin ready for Ben Affleck as caped crusader

Dec. 12, 2013 | 3:16 p.m.
Josh Brolin, left, and Ben Affleck. ((Jay L. Clendenin / Los Angeles Times)

Josh Brolin, left, and Ben Affleck. (Jay L. Clendenin / Los Angeles Times)

Before Ben Affleck was cast as Batman in Zack Snyder’s upcoming “Man of Steel” sequel featuring Superman, Batman and a recently announced Wonder Woman, actor Josh Brolin had been widely tipped for the role of Gotham City’s caped crusader.

In a new interview over at The Envelope, The Times’ site devoted to all things awards season, the actor talked about his familial connection to the character — his father appeared on the 1960s TV show starring Adam West — and also his surprise at the outpouring of Internet vitriol that greeted the news that Affleck had won the role.

“You read stuff like, ‘I wish Ben Affleck would die,'” Brolin said. “It’s Armageddon because he’s going to play Batman. What’s happening? You can’t listen to any of it. It’s like a kid in a cereal aisle screaming, ‘I want Froot Loops!’ You just let him have his tantrum and scream it out.”

MORE: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman: Comics world reacts

The controversial casting of Affleck for the as yet untitled film, which is set to fly into theaters July 17, 2015, did spark a significant online backlash — the hashtag #BetterBatmanThanBenAffleck began trending on Twitter, with users offering suggestions as to who would make a better choice to play the superhero, who had been so memorably brought to the screen by Christian Bale in filmmaker Christopher Nolan’s Gotham City trilogy.

But other prominent voices in the genre community expressed enthusiasm at the prospect of seeing Henry Cavill’s Superman squaring off with Affleck’s Batman. “Avengers” filmmaker Joss Whedon, for one, tweeted, “He’s got the chops, he’s got the chin — just needs the material. Affleck & Cavill toe to toe — I’m in.”

Brolin, too, has joined the roster of well wishers. “What I liked was the logline: ‘An older, grizzly Batman …'” the actor told The Envelope. “That was interesting to me. I haven’t seen that… I’ll still watch it to see how grizzled Affleck turns out.”

Click here to read the rest of what Brolin had to say.

– Gina McIntyre | @LATHeroComplex

Christian Bale plays Bruce Wayne in "The Dark Knight Rises." (Ron Phillips / DC Comics / Warner Bros.)Ben Affleck will play Batman in ‘Man of Steel’ sequel, due July 17, 2015

Ben Affleck’s Batman casting sparks backlash

‘Superman/Batman’: Who should play the Dark Knight?

Superman and Batman will unite on film

Comic-Con 2013 top 10 moments

Superman at 75: 10 key comic covers

‘Man of Steel’: 50 images from Snyder’s film

Henry Cavill knows how Clark Kent feels

‘Man of Steel’: Zack Snyder tries reconstruction

Comments

11 Responses to Batman casting: Josh Brolin ready for Ben Affleck as caped crusader

1. Joe says:

Entertainment's worst actor in one of the its best roles. Will you numb nuts ever learn? # Keanu Reeves.

• John says:

What? Are you trying to say no to Affleck for Batman, cast Reeves instead, or Reeves made a great Neo in The Matrix. Talk about "numb nuts." Learn how to communicate, Joe.

Keanu was great as Neo and get off the whiney bandwagon and wait and see what Affleck does with the role, as every good actor has asked, "How hard can it be to play some dour, gravely-voiced guy behind a mask"?

2. Charles Wayne says:

Bale did the best Batman ever, he pulled off being Bruce Wayne and the Dark Knight better than any of the others before him.

3. Jesse says:

I think Christian Bale fits the batman role perfectly. He has played as the dark night 3 times and each time nailed the roles of bruce wayne and batman. By replaceing Bale with afflect is not a good idea because changing the main charactor is like starting over and Bale is the batman, nobody will look at batman the same now.

• John says:

Why do all you unimaginative types out there think that there is only one actor able to effectively play a character? And a comic book character no less! Back in the day, everyone thought that Jack Nicholson was the best Joker and that nobody could ever replace him. Riiiight. Expand your mind, Jesse. I mean, God forbid, you give Affleck (or anyone else) a chance after your god Christian Bale played the part.

4. RC says:

I was really cheering for you to be Batman!! But you see I am a conservative so since you can not like a conservative I guess I cannot support you now ! I will do all I can to let my family and friends know how you do not like us and how we should not support you !!

5. alex says:

Michael Keaton would have played a great older batman, while I like Christian Bale, Keaton was a good batman too

• ron vasquez says:

i agree that michael keaton would have been a great older batman. and i also disagree with the others that bale was the best batman. those dark knight movies were horrible and sucked in every way. even the bat costume was atrocious.

6. DeepRootedBatmanFan says:

Bale was probably the best Batman portrayal ever. Ben Affleck hasn't been in a spectacular movie in a long time, and he is starting to blab about politics. No matter what side you're on, never go public with politics; less people will go see your movies. Bale succeeded in making each installment of the Gotham City trilogy riveting and spectacular. Each and every one. It's hard to make a trilogy where at least one movie doesn't choke. They should leave the Batman franchise alone, at least for now, because letting the last Batman in recent memory be Christian Bale will make Batman as a whole unforgettable. Talk about leaving on a high note. And for the Affleck fans out there, just because someone's a good or big-time actor doesn't mean they can make a good Caped Crusader. Just look at George Clooney. Although it's hard to compare a movie we haven't seen yet comparable to that kind of a failure, I'm trying to make a point why we should be wary of Affleck. Bale's legacy as the greatest Batman ever is near-impossible to touch. Affleck won't have that throaty voice. Michael Cain won't be involved in this to give us his British wit. Anne Hathaway's Catwoman, Tom Hardy's Bale, Heath Ledger's Joker, and Liam Neeson's Ra's Al Ghul won't be there. Bale and his awesome supporting actor's and crew won't be there. It will just be Batman. Alone. As Ben Affleck. Facing Superman. Man of Steel was only really good because they did a great job with casting, backstory, and dialogue. The action sequences left much to be desired. Literally everything that made Batman awesome when Bale played him will be gone. The great acting, action, and intensity will not be there. I hope I'm dead wrong. But I'm afraid I'll be more right than I realize. Oh yeah, and Hans Zimmerer isn't making any epic music either. Does anyone else see why Ben Affleck is set up for failure? I am open-minded and hope to hear some good arguing points for Affleck, because as much as I want every movie to be good, they can't all be.

Batman all the way. Please Mr. Affleck, prove me wrong. I'll see it in theaters no less than three times if you impress me. Best of wishes to Hollywood.

7. bmoney says: