‘Brave’ trailer: Pixar’s first female hero takes aim in 2012

Nov. 16, 2011 | 12:19 p.m.

Disney-Pixar has released the first full trailer to “Brave,” the company’s 13th feature film. And this one boasts a lot of firsts for Pixar’s canon: first fairy tale, first female protagonist, first period piece and first extensive use of Scottish accents. Also, in keeping with Pixar’s continued push toward ever more realistic computer-animated textures in its films, this one appears to have a definite loamier, earthier feel, with lots of moss and mist and magic.

Kelly Macdonald of “Boardwalk Empire” fame provides the voice of Merida, the fiery, redheaded archer who defies the traditions of her Scottish Highlands-based clan and attempts to chart her own path in life, but winds up wreaking havoc when she unleashes an ancient curse. Julie Walters, Emma Thompson and most of the Scottish actors in Hollywood — Billy Connolly, Kevin McKidd, Robbie Coltrane and Craig Ferguson — also lend their voices.

The movie opens June 22, 2012. Take a peek at the trailer below.

— Patrick Kevin Day

muppetstall Brave trailer: Pixars first female hero takes aim in 2012Muppet Man’ script: A Gonzo approach

PHOTOS: Kermit the Frog, a career in pictures

‘Tangled': The last Disney princess movie?

A bittersweet ‘Toy Story’ for the voice of Andy

Disney says ‘Make Mine Marvel’

Donald Duck: Fantagraphics’ classic quest

Disney’s ‘Avatar’ land to feel like Pandora

Pixar is making a dinosaur movie

Brad Bird: Hollywood afraid to copy Pixar

Billy Crystal talks ‘Monsters Inc.’ prequel

Comments

9 Responses to ‘Brave’ trailer: Pixar’s first female hero takes aim in 2012

1. sindhi says:

Please please please don't let there be a little sidekick or a dog or any kind of helper in this film that is male–PLEASE let the female do it for HERSELF! I mean, Pixar can't even let a mother BIRD have a female name ("Kevin" anyone?). Maybe this will start a trend towards female protagonists being great at what they do not in spite of everything but because they have the same chances, skills and rights as males. I will reserve judgement until I see this one because frankly I was never going to see another Pixar film after the whole mother bird named Kevin thing.

• robbrown123 says:

I thought the Kevin thing was hilarious. I really have a hard time seeing how anyone would see that as some kind of sexist thing. Whether or not its a bad thing that they haven't had a lead female character, I don't know (I think it's great they have one now), but seriously, you're going to get yourself worked up over the female bird named Kevin (by a boy who didn't know better)?

2. Anika says:

I'm so excited for Brave! I really hope that it does well – Pixar's first female protagonist coupled with their first fairy tale has big shoes to fill. It will be wonderful for little girls to have another female role model to teach them to be brave and make things happen for themselves. Plus she's a redhead, so you can't beat that!

– Anika
    anikaguldstrand.com

3. Kevin says:

I think this is a really bad move for Pixar. I have been one of their biggest fans since Toy Story but after watching this trailer, I for the first time, am not looking forward to this movie. I couldn't tell whether this was a trailer for a Dreamworks, Sony, Walt Disney, or Warner Bros film! Before this you could always pic their films out of a lineup. Pixar is starting to loose touch with what made them Pixar and my vision of the brand is starting to become blurry!

Oh and, "Please please please don't let there be a little sidekick or a dog or any kind of helper in this film that is male–PLEASE let the female do it for HERSELF! "…
    Seriously? Chip on the shoulder anyone? What about the fact that there is a total absence of any father figure in many of the Pixar films? Step down off the soap box!

• JLP says:

Disney owns Pixar. That is the problem! They sold out to the communist.

• SEM says:

I so agree.

Daughter: "I want my freedom"
      Mother: "But are you willing to pay the price your freedom will cost?"

Seems a shorthand version of every animated Disney film, or at least those with a female lead.
      I'm afraid ever since Disney bought out Pixar the new projects are heading down the road towards typical Disney dreck.

4. NMH says:

Firsts are moot when Pixar is teaming up with the leader of female driven, period-piece fairy tales…been there, seen it. This movie promises to be good for other, more marketable reasons…

@Kevin "What about the fact that there is a total absence of any father figure in many of the Pixar films? Step down off the soap box!"

Whomever was complaining about the female doing it "herself" needs to stop spending so much time on tumblr. Mulan, Pocahontas, Jasmine, Belle, Rapunzel, Tiana, etc., etc.; strong female influence has been dominating the Disney storyboards for years.

• Kevin says:

"–This doesn't even make sense; Meet The Robinsons, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Chicken Little, Up, even the Toy Story franchise all feature a prominent male influence in a leadership and/or paternal position. Pixar's other blockbusters featured otherwise inanimate objects, such as cars. And robots. You're complaining without grounds or purpose; Pixar is nowhere near the range of losing touch with its audience and neither is Disney. "

Hmm. Chicken Little? Meet the Robinsons? I wasn't aware that those were Pixar movies. Show me where those movies are on Pixars feature film list. Oh you cant, cause they're not! (not talking about DIsney) And if you read correctly I said many, not all! And also if you could point out where Andy's father was in the Toy Story films that would be great too. Or Russell's father in Up. Or Linguini's father in Ratatouille. Seems like the only one not making sense is you! And if you're going to quote make sure you do it right! So don't tell me I'm complaining without grounds or purpose. When in the first place I'm not complaining, I'm just merely pointing out facts! And the reference to robots and inanimate objects… but fish are okay? Not to mention we're talking about ANIMATED movies… what does it matter if it's a robot, car, fish, or a toy. The point is and I have heard Pete Doctor say it himself on stage on a panel, answer the question about the father figure, saying it's just the way some of the films turned out. So if you're ready to say Pete Doctor is a liar then replying to you is pointless anyway. You just got punked! And by the way you should watch it when telling others what they should and shouldn't do… of course you can do whatever you want!

5. Mom says:

Wow… Can't anyone just appreciate the fact that our children have something other than SpongeBob Square Pants to watch!? This is as stated "ANIMATED". This means NOT REAL. If you feel so strongly about the fact that it doesn't live up to your expectations then do what every other level headed common sense based person does… Don't watch it. As for those of us who appreciate this for what it is… An opportunity to spend time hanging out with our children watching something that doesn't involve Mindless Cartoons, then we are happy to support those as Pixar who have worked to give us this movie. So get over yourselves and take life with a grain of salt. If you don't like it, don't watch it.