‘Captain America’ director: ‘This movie is going to surprise some people’

Jan. 18, 2011 | 5:24 p.m.
captain america running Captain America director: This movie is going to surprise some people

"Captain America: The First Avenger" (Jay Maidment/Marvel Studios)

Captain America: The First Avenger” director Joe Johnston is not one of Hollywood’s shiny, happy people — the 60-year-old Texas native is known for blunt candor and a withering glare. That’s why I was bit taken aback the other day when I called his cellphone and heard a voice on the other end that actually sounded something close to giddy.

“I watched the movie for the first time a few days ago and I just looked at the first cut and there is so much entertainment value — it’s just flat-out fun to watch,” Johnston said of his Marvel Studios film, which hits theaters July 22.  “Maybe I’m somewhat biased — I was there [when we made it] — but, seriously, it’s funny, it’s exciting and there’s great visual effects.  The movie is going to be something more than people are expecting. This movie is going to surprise some people. It is the origin story of Captain America but it is also something rare — it’s a period superhero film but there’s great action in it. You don’t normally think of guys driving around in 1939 sedans in an action film but there are some great action beats in it. It’s just a helluva lot of fun to watch.”

joe johnston captain america Captain America director: This movie is going to surprise some people

Joe Johnston (Gary Friedman/Los Angeles Times)

It’s not exactly shocking for a film director to be a sunny voice of promotion for his own movie. But I can tell you that Johnston didn’t sound like someone trying to puff up a project; he sounded like a guy who thinks he’s got a winning ticket in his pocket. Time will tell whether Johnston is off the mark but — after knowing him for a while now — I doubt seriously that he’s being anything but earnest in his appraisals. He may be right, he may be wrong, but I don’t think he’s being disingenuous.

I asked Johnston — whose credits include “Jurassic Park III,” “The Rocketeer” and “Jumanji” — who in his cast delivered a performance that took a character in an unexpected direction, and he didn’t hesitate with his answer.

“All actors bring something unexpected to the role because they have to translate what’s on the page and make a real character out of the black-and-white text that’s there in the script. I hadn’t worked with Chris Evans and I wasn’t really that familiar with his work and I  didn’t know what to expect. I was blown away by the subtlety that he brought to the role.  It was really exciting to watch him. He added layers to the character that were not on the page and layers that were not in the comic books. He made Steve Rogers into a real flesh-and-blood character and it was fantastic to watch.”

What do you think, does Johnston’s firecracker enthusiasm make you any more eager to see his red-white-and-blue adventure film? Or is he just waving his own flag?

— Geoff Boucher (Follow me on Twitter @LATherocomplex)

RECENT AND RELATED:

captamerica6 Captain America director: This movie is going to surprise some people Captain America will be a USO performer in movie

Johnston: Steve Rogers won’t be “flag-waver”

Stark Expo will link ‘Iron Man 2′ and ‘Captain America’

Branagh fires back after nasty ‘Thor’ rumors

‘X-Men’ director: Hollywood is killing superhero genre

Favreau: The reason I’m leaving ‘Iron Man’ series

Comments

64 Responses to ‘Captain America’ director: ‘This movie is going to surprise some people’

1. bspurloc says:

6 months away blah!

2. Mark says:

If it's a tenth as good as The Rocketeer we're all in for a treat.

3. Nave Torment says:

Very promising. Like the man said, its a superhero period piece, a true GOLDEN AGE comic adaptation. Captain America is in many ways the archetypal superhero, and all of that can be captured even more so when you tell the story set in the same time when superheroes were really born. Can't wait for this. Jack Kirby would've been proud. I wonder if Stan will be in it though?

4. Necro says:

Chris Evans is an EPIC FAIL of casting in the lead role.

5. David Medinnus says:

Well, I doubt he'd go on an interview and say bad things about his own movie… *grins* That said, I'm probably one of the few people who also enjoyed "Wolfman" (big fan of furry lycanthropes), also directed by Joe Johnson, and "The Phantom" (I like the Phantom almost as much as I do Captain America). Given the crap of the other three Captain America movies, it won't take a lot to raise the expectations bar!

6. Alaris says:

I hope they make a decent Cap movie when it's ok to love the US of A and this pathetic trend of International apology expires.

7. johnnie. says:

i'm sorry but am i the only one who watched the wolfman,jumanji and/or J.P.3????
    those movies were ..pretty bad.

8. chris says:

It looks to be really good so far. The only thing that bothers me is that I'm fearing Marvel will ignore the actual history of the Nazi's being the evil of WWII and will replace it with Hydra. Red Skull is suppose to be a Nazi, Captain America went out to fight Nazi spies on the Homeland, let's hope the reality of the war isn't forgetten and totally replaced with fantasy.

9. T.L. says:

Actually, Jurassic Park /// was far better than the second one (directed by Spielberg). I thought Johnston did a fine job — and I look forward to seeing CA this summer.

10. Brenno says:

got to love these armchair warriors who feel they've got to slam a movie for sake of it. Honestly, wolfman,jumanji and/or J.P.3 were not bad at all. Were they the greatest? no, but they were definitely not a movie i felt like walking out on, or felt like i had just wasted my money. For fck sake, some of you clowns need to get a life…. honestly, jumanji bad?! you got to be kidding me. pull your head out your ass

11. Peter Briggs says:

I've loved Johnston's direction in all of his projects, and as a huge Rocketeer fan, this is the only one of the upcoming Marvel movies I'm pumped about. Go, Joe!

12. John says:

more like brown, gray and blue to me.

13. Dan Ferreira says:

For me, the clothes lacked a little originality, more than that, so far, everything is great.

14. Stanley says:

His costume already looks cheesy, like the costume worn by Daredevil. Cheesy leather.

15. Jack Meoph says:

Loved the Rocketeer. If this director says its awesome, then it probably is. Being a period piece, he can make it black and white. hero vs. villain, without any of the obligatory emo cr@p that tends to crop up in todays movies for no other reason than someone thinks it makes them more “real or human”. Plus, I still hate Nazi’s and always enjoy seeing them get their butts kicked.

16. BVavs says:

Um…If it's a period piece, how are they going to tie this into the upcoming Avenger's movie? He'll be in his 80's.

17. Kevin Feige Sucks says:

So, the guy is basically promoting the movie super shamelessly. The level in which he's trying to hype up Evans performance (Layers? please), the action and the special FX, means one thing to me; Mediocre modest budget film in the same grade as G.I. JOE. This guy isn't fooling anyone. The fact that they cast Chris Evans as Captain America let's you knw that it's all low budget. They never intended to take the film seriously. Just make a quick buck of the name and the Avenger affiliation.

18. Steven says:

Chris Evans is a good actor. He was the redeeming quality of Fantastic Four. He was even more so amazing in Sunshine. Great actor there. I have faith in him.

19. hiyoupeople says:

jurassic park 3 sucked

20. Eric says:

I pray that this version will finally wash away the painful memory of the last Captain America film from the 90's. The had a lousy script. But I thought Matt Salinger looked perfect as Cap

21. SuperheroWearsTights says:

Chris Evan's costume is not up to superhero standards (read: tight). I can loosely say that this has the formula to be epic fail.

22. banthafodder says:

Can't wait to see this! : )

23. Boss says:

"Hidalgo" was a correct movie directed by Johnston, with an epic scope and truly beautiful images. Also, Marvel are behaving as good producers. Giving love to their franchises.
    I expect a truly entertainment movie, something that surprises me.
    Anyway, we can say nothing until see a goddamn trailer. We want the trailer now!

I also think that "Green Lantern" will be a disapointing movie, because the trailer looks like a comedy, when the concept idea of the GL is HUGE.

24. Jlove says:

The costume looks terrible.

25. teebo says:

With CAPTAIN AMERICA's subject matter— '40s time frame, young, clean-cut superhero learning the ropes of superhero-ing— being closer to THE ROCKETEER than JPIII or WOLFMAN… I'm willing to go along with director Johnson's enthusiasm for this film. Esp. if he pulls off with CA what he accomplished with that earlier film: a rousing "feel good" piece of entertainment that delivered while not taking itself TOO seriously.

Although with the movie essentially being a 'prequel' for the upcoming AVENGERS, I'm not too sure that his Marvel overseers will allow Johnson to have that less-serious, light tone in it, lest it contrast with their view of their planned Superhero cinematic franchise. If so, CAPTAIN AMERICA will turn out to be just a land-bound redress of THE ROCKETEER, grounded where the other one soared…

26. Local Man says:

Those of you who don't like the costume . . . it is a costume made out of items that are consistant with stuff available during WWII — can you possibly think that his comics costume of chain mail and spandex would look good? The costumes in comics will usually look really stupid on an actual human being. Frankly, I'm impressed that the costume looks as much like the comics costume while still looking like it might be a real WWII outfit.

Chris Evans appears to have taken this role very seriously. He buffed up far beyond his already-great-physique to really look like the super soldier. And Hugo Weaving is ALWAYS great, especially as a villain.

I am pretty hopeful for this film. Joe Johnson showed with The Rocketeer that he can make a great period action film, and I expect this one to be even better.

27. Local Man says:

And to the person who questioned the time frame . . . the film will show links between the WWII time setting and the modern-day setting of the Avengers — just wait. Iron Man, Increadible Hulk and Iron Man 2 all had hints leading towards the eventual Avengers film. Thor will as well, and Captain America will lead into the Avengers film. Marvel is orchestrating the inter-linking of these characters to have an epic team-up.

28. Master Caster says:

For those wondering how Captain America goes from WW2 to the modern day…. please note that Captain America fell into the Atlantic and became frozen in ice during his last battle with the Red Skull toward the end of WW2. The super soldier serum in his system and the preservative properties of freezing kept him alive all that time until he was found by the Avengers, thawed out and in time became their leader.

29. april says:

Samuel L. Jackson will appear in both Thor and Captain America. http://bit.ly/dWzNCn

30. lauren says:

I live in New York but i am a huge Captian america fan. I know the movie is coming out they say july22 but does anyone know about movie premieresbefore then even if it is in hollywood or anywhere that is open to the public??

31. Seth says:

Chris Evans is a great actor, but I just don't see Steve Rodgers in him. He was perfect as Johnny Storm, because he brought the "smart ass" out perfectly.. Also it'll be quite weird when they make the Avengers movie… They'll have to cast a new Captain America, or new Johnny Storm which is going to be weird. I also hope to god they don't try to make it all "international" being ashamed to be proud of America and all. If they do that throughout the film, then its going to suck because that is not Captain America, especially with the period this film is supposed to be set in.

I have good hopes for this film, but at the same time something tells me it'll end up like Hulk and other comic book movies created by directors who just don't know what the hell they are doing…. REMAKE!!

32. jkjk says:

it's the best movie ever —- until the sequel when they will say it was really garbage. so predictable

33. Moira says:

Hi again How it going? Men They give more Details. Comics Making MAd,I love the Comics. They say dreams come True. What a Load of crap.For Me anyways you would see me in your movies to buy them. Comics too be fun to read. I love reading books Telling storeis, its fun Adventure. No more America Antman, What i do without you. Find something else. I love you chris Evans,Your the perfect Cap. It Shoots Your Attude. I always,love Chris Evans Even Don't get involved. No hard feeling.SF.

34. Moira says:

They sould make funny Comdey Show, I love simps. They make me laugh.I don't cry,Cap lost in the ice again.Sad movie. I love you anyways.SF.

35. Dude says:

Can you redo this movie so that at the end he either jumps off the plane and surfs on his shield and surfs his way to New York or he at least is asleep for a year because the ending to me really wasn’t good that he was asleep for 70 years at least make it were he gets the girl

36. jabaria says:

That movie kick so much ass, awesome job Joe Johnston. One of my favorite superheros. A great period-action film.