Comic-Con 2011: Andrew Garfield wins over fans with his ‘Spider-Man’

July 23, 2011 | 4:35 p.m.
spider man2 cp Comic Con 2011: Andrew Garfield wins over fans with his Spider Man

Andrew Garfield in “The Amazing Spider-Man” (Columbia Pictures)

Footage from Sony’s upcoming slate of films — including a sequel to “Ghost Rider,” the comedy “30 Minutes or Less” and a remake of “Total Recall” — was all entertaining but served primarily as preamble to the main event at Sony’s Comic-Con panel Friday: “The Amazing Spider-Man.” After the teaser trailer was released this week to lukewarm reception, Sony was charged with wowing audiences with its reboot of the web-slinger franchise, this time directed by Marc Webb (“(500) Days of Summer”).

The studio introduced its most precious brand with great theatrics: The music rumbled, emcee Ralph Garman from radio station KROQ-FM (106.7) encouraged everyone to put on their 3-D glasses, and then the audience started clapping as the room slowly darkened to unveil footage of one of Comic-Con’s biggest heroes. The trailer played well to the packed room, but it was the new Peter Parker himself, Andrew Garfield, who won fans over: He stood up in the audience in Hall H  in a low-rent Spider-Man costume and delivered an emotional speech about how much he loved the character.

“I wouldn’t be able to stand here if it wasn’t for Spider-Man. I’m living out every skinny boy’s fantasy of being stronger. We all wished we had the courage to stand up for ourselves, for the people we loved…. This is the coolest moment of my life. Thank you for being here to share it with me.”

He continued his tribute to Spider-Man onstage: “Peter Parker has been the one fictional character I related to most growing up, that and Holden Caulfield. I wore my first Spider-Man suit when I was 2 on Halloween.”

Garfield said he is approaching this reboot like Shakespeare: “another chapter in a comic-book story that means so much to so many different people.”

Sony endeared fans even further by debuting footage of Rhys Ifans as Dr. Curt Connors, the scientist who turns into Spider-Man’s nemesis The Lizard. The studio showed footage of Dr. Connors transforming into the evil reptilian. Ifans then bounded onstage and delivered a few garbled sentences.

The rest of the cast and crew onstage — including Emma Stone, who plays Gwen Stacy; Garfield; director Webb; and producers Matt Tolmach and Avi Arad — were adorned in Stand Up to Cancer sweatshirts, T-shirts and stickers in honor of “Spider-Man” producer Laura Ziskin, who died this year after a long battle with cancer and was instrumental in founding the charity.

The fans seemed to eat up the footage, which also included an extended scene of Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy in a high school hallway, a brief character moment that illustrated the tone of the reboot, which bows next summer.

One fan summed it up well. “This is a huge honor for me to be here,” said an eager teenage boy. “I love Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone. You guys are my favorite actors.”

– Nicole Sperling

sam raimi entangled Comic Con 2011: Andrew Garfield wins over fans with his Spider ManWebb: I feel a responsibility to reinvent ‘Spider-Man’

Raimi: ‘I would have done everything differently’

Garfield: I feel huge pressure

Kirsten Dunst: New Spidey cast has ‘a lot to live up to’

Garfield: ‘Who cast this English fool? Maguire is genius’

British invasion: Superman, Batman, Spidey actors

Should ‘Spider-Man’ film franchise stop at three?

British heartthrob snares lead in Spidey film

‘500 Days’ director Webb swings with Spidey

Comments

16 Responses to Comic-Con 2011: Andrew Garfield wins over fans with his ‘Spider-Man’

1. Nik says:

This is rediculous. Thought this was a continuation of Spiderman's adventures. Instead, it's another remake of something that was done very well, NOT EVEN TEN YEARS AGO. Not enough fresh ideas out there in general ie. Fright Night, The Thing, Conan the Barbarian, Total Recall and who knows what else on the horizon. Very disappointed with this decision.

• The Vidit says:

Nik, this is not unlike a new writer and comic book artist taking on the same character. It happens in comics every time a run ends. Get over it. This is something the comic book community deals with on a quarterly basis. Passing the torch on to a new team and re-inventing.

2. Chone says:

We're pretty over reboots right? If not then at least done with Spiderman, how many times can Hollywood reshape something and then shove it down your throat?

• The Vidit says:

As many times as Spider-Man (and nearly every other Marvel and DC comic character) is reshaped in a given year in the comics industry when new writers and artist start a new run. This shouldn't be any strange or odd for comic book fans.

3. sometimesviewer says:

Won over fans? Maybe some fans. I've been a fan since 1973 when my dad bought me my first Amazing Spiderman comic. Sam Raimi got it right. This version looks like a B movie version at best.

• javierlopezjr@att.net says:

I believe that your father bought you a spider man comic Back in the early 70’s, but from your praise of Sam Raimi & comment on this film I also believe that 1973 was the last time you read a spider man comic. It’s not your fault really, comics in the 70’s weren’t that great as they were being lightened up a bit, And we all fall in love with the version of a character we knew first. Sam’s movies weren’t entirely crap but they weren’t great either. No web shooters? The green goblins costume? Gwen Stacey? Mary Jane? Topher Grace as Venom? those stupid little cut scenes of tobey walking around like a jack ass? Harry Osborn becoming some high tech Goblin knock off? C’mon man? This movie looks to bring a depth to spidey that is seen in the comics & deserves to be shown on the big screen. Will it? Idk, but the trailer alone looks better than Spider Man 3

4. brettghampton says:

I'm less concerned with the fact that the series is being "rebooted" than I am with Marc Webb's proclamation that he has a duty to "reinvent" the character. Hopefully, "reinvention" doesn't mean he loses the qualities that made Peter Parker and Spider-Man so popular – and those qualities were not that he was some mopey emo teenager. Yes, Parker had problems – with high school, with girls, with jobs, with family, later with college. But, when he became Spider-Man, he came alive. You can't have a "dark" Spider-Man. This is not meant to be a "Batman/Dark Knight" story. Raimi may have strayed a bit far afield in the last movie (under pressure from the studio to include characters like Venom), but he got the right mix for the character in the first two movies. I'm glad they're starting out with Gwen Stacy as a romantic interest, as the one clunker in Raimi's films was the way in which Mary Jane Watson was written and as she was portrayed by Kirsten Dunst.

• javierlopezjr@yahoo.com says:

After Reading this I’m wondering how many ppl who comment on here have actually read the comics. Peter was an bit of a mopey teenager, you would be too if you were a social outcast. And yes you can have a dark spider man, a lot of spider man stories went pretty deep into his dark side. Saying you can’t have a dark spider man is like saying batman forever is better than the dark knight. Peter is a complex guy who’s had to carry an enormous responsibility & guilt since he was 15! All while his loved ones were dying or having their lives ruined. Tell meyou wouldn’t be a bit moody or have a dark side?

5. BobMann says:

I like this approach of focusing on the complexity of the characters first and then surrounding that with the epic comic book movie action, much like Nolan did with Batman. It is also good to hear that Webb is giving spider man the smart mouth aspect that people know and love, and not making everything dour like the teaser suggested.

Sam Rami's Spider man movies are some of the corniest things i have ever seen!

6. BobMann says:

Rami's films were some of the cheesiest things I have ever seen!

7. samigirl says:

With the last movies I grew tired of the constant whining. I know plenty of people who had to force themselves to not stop the 3rd movie early. Im hoping that this is going to be a spiderman I can love again.

8. DoubleShelix2.O says:

Though I am anticipating the upcoming Spider-Man (I just love Andrew Garfield) this is one of the many examples that Hollywood is rapidly losing its edge. What the heck is going on? Hollywood needs younger, fresher writers with new ideas. Quite using the same people over and over again.

9. LETTSJaM says:

I saw the comic con video online and was taken in by how genuine Andrew Garfield was. Personally, I thought he was adorable, and can’t wait for the film to be released in the UK. I think that he will bring a new depth and vulnerability to the film. Haters gonna hate, but so what, I don’t care.