COMIC-CON 2010: Guillermo del Toro scares up a ‘Haunted Mansion’ film for Disney

July 22, 2010 | 9:06 p.m.

Haunted Mansion

Walt Disney Pictures is going back to the theme park.

The studio announced today that it was developing a new film based on its Haunted Mansion attraction, a live-action monster picture that uses characters and elements from the haunted house. Upping the news — and intrigue — level is the filmmaker taking it on: Genre auteur Guillermo del Toro will direct the film and co-write it with his “Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark” co-scribe Matthew Robbins.

Guillermo del toro

The news quells, at least for the moment, speculation about Del Toro’s next move after unexpectedly leaving “The Hobbit” last month, though it’s still conceivable the director could take on another development project.

The announcement came at the end of Disney’s Comic-Con panel for “Tron: Legacy,” catching some fans by surprise. After the panel ended, Del Toro emerged to explain his fascination with the “Mansion” property and his plans for adapting it.

“We are doing this by reintroducing the mythology in the mansion,” the Pan’s Labyrinth filmmaker said, noting that the character of the Hatbox Ghost will be the focus of the film. “We’re making it scary and fun. But the scary will be scary.”

The studio released a “Haunted Mansion” seven years ago; that film starred Eddie Murphy and flopped at the box office. This film is expected to start from scratch — Del Toro even joked that he wouldn’t be returning Murphy’s calls.

Disney has of course had success developing theme park rides, with the fourth installment in its blockbuster “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise set to hit next May; “Country Bears,” however, was a concept that might have been better left in hibernation. Disney teased that “Pirates” installment, which is being directed by Rob Marshall, at the end of “Tron” as well, showing a clip of Johnny Depp in Jack Sparrow garb inviting the audience to have a few “Bloody Marys on the Mouse.”

– Steven Zeitchik

http://twitter.com/ZeitchikLAT

RECENT AND RELATED 

Ian McKellan in LOTR

Peter Jackson: Fans “fed up with the lack of original ideas”

Finance and fanboys: Wall Street woes undermine “Hobbit”

PHOTOS: Scenes from Comic-Con 2010

Del Toro on Frazetta: He gave us a new pantheon

Can “The Hobbit” escape the “Rings” shadow?

“The Hobbit” is just the beginning of Del Toro Decade

Daniel Radcliffe as Bilbo? Star says thanks but no

Del Toro will take Disney on a scary ride

Del Toro: Swamp Thing among the last “Holy Grail” projects

Photos: Guillermo del Toro (Stephen Osman/Los Angeles Times); A poster for the Haunted Mansion attraction. Bottom, Ian McKellen in the “Lord of the Rings” franchise (New Line)
 


Clicking on Green Links will take you to a third-party e-commerce site. These sites are not operated by the Los Angeles Times. The Times Editorial staff is not involved in any way with Green Links or with these third-party sites.


Comments


2 Responses to COMIC-CON 2010: Guillermo del Toro scares up a ‘Haunted Mansion’ film for Disney

  1. [...] with Disney after the landmark 1954 film and the submarine theme-park ride, and Del Toro has already been announced as director of a new “Haunted Mansion” [...]

  2. Guest says:

    I'm not defending Eddie Murphy by no means as Haunted Mansion wasn't all that good, but it did double it's production budget and I'm sure it did quite well on DVD. Hardly a flop.
    http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hauntedmansio

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title="" rel=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <pre> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Close
E-mail It
Powered by ShareThis