July 27, 2010 | 12:48 a.m.

EXCLUSIVE

Dan Radcliffe in Orlando

Daniel Radcliffe says he’s sorry he missed out on Comic-Con International, where hundreds of “Harry Potter” fans camped out overnight and harbored hopes that the British star would be a magical surprise guest.

“I apologize to all the wishful thinkers for my disappointing non-presence,” Radcliffe said Monday by phone from London.

The actor, who has finished some post-production voice work on the last “Potter” film, says he is still grappling a bit with the concept that he will never wear the robes of Hogwarts on screen again. He still cares deeply about “Potter” fans, though — he sounded genuinely distressed to hear for the first time about the wildfire rumors that led fans to believe he would be at the San Diego pop-culture expo that wrapped up on Sunday.

“Really? Oh, God, I had no idea. I suppose it’s like when I’m at Reading Festival and I hear that suddenly some amazing band is going to play a surprise gig and then it turns out to be total fiction.”

Warner Bros. had clearly stated that no cast members would be present for the Saturday panel promoting “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” which will hit theaters in a two-film tale, with part one arriving Nov. 19 and part two on July 15. The tandem films will bring to a close a franchise that has collected $5.3 billion in worldwide box office since 2001.

Fans, though, assumed it was all a smoke screen — they know that this is the last Comic-Con before the final “Potter” theatrical release and there was intense speculation that Radcliffe and costars Emma Watson and Rupert Grint would attend the convention for the first time. Radcliffe, though, was in Russia celebrating his 21st birthday, which was Friday.

“It was fantastic. I was in St. Petersburg for my birthday, which is probably the most beautiful, the most incredible, wonderful place I’ve ever been in my life. It really is absolutely amazing. I went with two friends and it was brilliant.”

There was one “Deathly Hallows” cast member at Comic-Con; Tom Felton, who plays Draco Malfoy, appeared and I interviewed him on stage in front of an audience of 6,500, which cheered the actor as well as the footage from “Deathly Hallows” that was shown for the first time anywhere. I mentioned to Radcliffe that his on-screen rival told the crowd that the film’s title star cried like a little girl on the final day of shooting.

“You know what, I’d love to libel him and call it a lie, but, darn, he’s absolutely right. We all three of us — me, Rupert and Emma — we just wept. And I’ve never seen Rupert Grint cry. That was really weird.”

Radcliffe has just been announced as the star of “The Woman in Black,” the 2011 Hammer Films adaptation of the Susan Hill novel. He is also attached to a new version of “All Quiet on the Western Front” due in 2012. Radcliffe also said something  in passing that, for the Muggle nation, will stir hopes that just maybe Radcliffe will make it to next year’s San Diego convention. “I’ve never done the Comic-Con thing,” Radcliffe said, “and I really, really want to experience that.”

– Geoff Boucher

Dan Radcliffe as Harry Potter

“Potter” fans disappointed by Comic-Con panel

Tom Felton already misses “Potter”

RARE PHOTO: The day Daniel Radcliffe met Rupert Grint…

David Yates reveals where he will split “Deathly Hallows”

REVIEW: Universal’s Harry Potter outduels Disney

Rowling takes a ride with Potter in Orlando

PHOTO GALLERY: Scenes from Comic-Con 2010

Which celebrity intimidates Emma Watson? You may be surprised

Dumbledore diss? Gambon sees “no point” in reading Rowling

Daniel Radcliffe talks about life after Hogwarts

Comments

15 Responses to Daniel Radcliffe to Comic-Con fans: ‘I apologize for my disappointing non-presence’

1. danilo says:

'…will stir hopes that just maybe Radcliffe will make it to next year's San Diego convention. '
    Oh great, start wildfire rumours for next year.
    Tickets are already on sale for his appearance on Broadway in 2011, which means he'll be on stage six days a week. Would not count on Radcliffe being at ComicCon, unless it's in Manhattan.

2. Norman Mailman says:

Who gives a rat's rump?!

3. Di says:

In regards to How to Succeed… being Radcliffe's possible reason for not doing Comic Con next year.
    Not true, Broadway shows close all the time. You have no idea what is going to happen from previews till the Tony Awards. It may last and it may not.
    PLUS he will have commitments for DH part 2 in late June-July 2011 for press junkets and promotional stuff. He may need to take off from the show for that. Its possible that How to Succeed… would go black those days, or his understudy will go on. Just because he's committed to something in New York, its not set in stone and the press for Deathly Hallows may take priority, Comic Con may be a possibility next year if the Powers at Warner Bros want it, and Radcliffe himself.
    Who knows

4. Extensor says:

"Who gives a rat's rump?!"
    The rat?

5. Miguel says:

New York Comic Con is in Manhattan, October 8-10, 2010. It's not as big as San Diego, but I wouldn't be suprised to see him make an appearnce there. They had a WB panel there past few years too.

6. Rocco says:

Someone at Warners should have arranged it. No excuses.

7. Brett says:

He could always turn up at Wondercon in April up in San Francisco.

8. realtime says:

Radcliffe made the better choice going to St. Petersburg IMO, and he shouldn't have had to apologize to anyone. He did nothing wrong. Some of those fanatics need to get a life, just like William Shatner told those Trekkie fans to do in a SNL spook several years back lol

9. MW says:

How to Succeed opens begins previews on Feb. 26th and officially opens one months later. With two new films to shoot, it's not only possible but probable that Dan's run is only limited and he might very well be done by the time Comic-Con rolls around.

10. Gabby says:

We forgive you, Dan!! To make it up to us, you can get WB to release the Comic-Con Deathly Hallows footage!! :D
    I saw some pictures of him celebrating his birthday and he DEFINITELY had a good time. lol.

11. Miguel says:

You don't have to forgive him anything, he never said he was going to go. If someone promised that, it wasn't his fault at all.

12. this was the nice movie. i already watched all the movies about horry pottor

13. Santana says:

I CAN NOT WAIT this movie is BRILIANT and im sad that its coming to an end i hope to see alot more of all the achters and hear alot more from the Briliant J.K.Rowling

14. nabilah says:

cant deny he's really busy. fans should just be hopeful, not really wait as if he will surely be there. cmon hes really succesful, n im sure he really meant it when he said he really wants to go there but just to busy with projects and such. yay for Dan!

15. kayra says: