‘Edge of Tomorrow’ trailer: Tom Cruise reborn on sci-fi battlefield

Dec. 11, 2013 | 12:01 p.m.
Emily Blunt as Rita Vrataski and Tom Cruise as Bill Cage in the epic sci-fi thriller "Edge of Tomorrow." (David James/ Warner Bros.)

Emily Blunt as Rita Vrataski and Tom Cruise as Bill Cage in the epic sci-fi thriller “Edge of Tomorrow.” (David James/ Warner Bros.)

Tom Cruise finds himself in a life-and-death situation — over and over again — in the new trailer for “Edge of Tomorrow,” the latest film from director Doug Liman (“Mr. & Mrs. Smith,” “The Bourne Identity”).

Set for release in 2014, the sci-fi action adventure is based on Hiroshi Sakurazaka’s award-winning novel “All You Need Is Kill” and sees Cruise as Lt. Col. Bill Cage, an officer dropped onto a futuristic battlefield only to die. He then finds himself reborn again and again at a moment before the siege.

The cast includes Emily Blunt, Bill Paxton, Laura Pulver and Jeremy Piven, among others.

The high-concept outing comes on the heels of Cruise’s recent “Oblivion,” released earlier this year. That film, adapted from a 2010 graphic novel Joseph Kosinski (“Tron: Legacy”) penned with comic-book writer Arvid Nelson, takes place on a future Earth left decimated by an alien invasion, with Cruise playing former Marine Jack Harper, one of a few people left on the planet to mop up after the war.

“Edge of Tomorrow” is being released by Warner Bros., which earlier this week unveiled trailers for two of its other summer 2014 offerings, “Jupiter Ascending” and “Godzilla.”

Written and directed by “The Matrix” and “Cloud Atlas” filmmakers Andy and Lana Wachowski, “Jupiter Ascending” stars Mila Kunis as Jupiter Jones, a young woman born on Earth whose “genetic signature” marks her as a target for the Queen of the Universe. Channing Tatum plays Caine, identified early in the trailer as a “perfect hunting machine,” who becomes Jupiter’s protector.

The new take on “Godzilla” is being directed by Gareth Edwards, whose ambitious independent film “Monsters” garnered critical praise in 2010. “Breaking Bad” star Bryan Cranston, Aaron Taylor-Johnson (“Kick-Ass”), Ken Watanabe (“Inception”) and Elizabeth Olsen (“Oldboy”) star.

What do you think of the “Edge of Tomorrow” trailer? Which 2014 release are you most looking forward to? Please leave your thoughts in the comments section below.

– Gina McIntyre | @LATHeroComplex

'Oblivion' poster‘Oblivion’: A closer look at the Bubble Ship design

Kosinski: The meaning of the ‘Tron’ has changed for me

‘Mission: Impossible’: Brad Bird goes into Cruise control

‘Star Trek,’ ‘Iron Man 3,’ ‘Man of Steel’: Movie trailer bonanza

‘Tron’ creator: ‘We employed arcane, dark cinema voodoo′

Daft Punk gives ‘Tron: Legacy’ a pulse and power

‘Tron: Legacy’ concept art and a film of visual marvels

Comments

14 Responses to ‘Edge of Tomorrow’ trailer: Tom Cruise reborn on sci-fi battlefield

1. Bdad says:

The first issue is Tom Cruise. His politics and actions and statements have lead us to place him on the "do not watch" list.

• movie watcher says:

If I stopped watching every movie that had an actor in that I disagreed with… I would never go. I'm always entertained when I go a to a Tom Cruise movie. I will continue going for that reason.

• David says:

Tom cruise is very entertaining.So that is why we watch his films.Great action movie actor.
      And I hope I look half as good as he does at 51.Amazing!

2. Mike Winder says:

Blunt kicking ass. What's not to like?

3. Greg Hamilton says:

Tom Cruise doing what he does best, being Tom Cruise.

4. Andrea says:

my friends and i will be catching it in the theatre – IMAX

5. Jaycee says:

His world is himself. Suri comes in last.

6. Katie says:

Some of these post sound like Tom is writing and defending himself…..or maybe it's his mommy or sister. Tom Cruise is a bully and an abuser. He stays in the scientology camp knowing people are abused and mistreated and he can do that only because he is one of them. Suri is better off without him. To bad his career and own EGO are more important to him then spending his time nurturing and being the father he never knew himself. He has enough money he doesn't need this. So therefore it is only for his ego. I can't stand him therefore I can't stand watching anymore of his movies. Please Hollywood replace this egomaniac stat who is so full of himself.

• goGo says:

Katie Holmes, is that you?!!
      Lol.

As for trailer – it looks cool.
      I`ll be there in the nearest IMAX to see it in the very first day!
      Count me in.
      Tom Cruise always delivers good entertainment.

7. MrTemecula says:

The movie looks cool that it recognizes that humans are fairly weak creatures and unless augmented by technology, it's middle of the food chain for us. On the other hand, it's another time travel movie and there will be flaws and overeager fan-boys explaining away the flaws.

8. susie k. stassi says:

tom, looking forward in seeing this movie like always you look good and I know you will have a big hit. Just keep up what you do best that's acting. Susie stassi

9. Filmish.. says:

Cant wait to see it! The book was surprisingly good, very entertaining. Think it will translate well to film. The concept my not be the most original sci-fi plot, ever but should be a fun ride, if anything like to book.

10. JoKayy says:

I I still love far and away,saw it again and again.I hope he is happy,just can't understand why he can't
    stop bring a movie star and just be a father,
    Joy