‘Harry Potter’ countdown: Exclusive video on the making of ‘Hallows’ music

Oct. 27, 2010 | 7:23 a.m.

A MONTH OF MAGIC: Hero Complex is counting down to the Nov. 19 release of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1” — the penultimate film in the history-making “Potter” franchise — with exclusive interviews, photos, videos and reports from the set. Today’s post: Exclusive video on composer Alexandre Desplat and the making of the music for “Hallows.”

hp7 dom rgb 1600x2366 Harry Potter countdown: Exclusive video on the making of Hallows music

Radcliffe on his tearful final day on ‘Potter’ set

Radcliffe: I’m desperate to see ‘Hallows’

Tom Felton: The last two films will not disappoint

Stephen King: Rowling is talented, Meyer can’t write

‘Hallows’ wedding is franchise’s last festive moment

Radcliffe vamps for ‘Simpsons’ spoof of ‘Twilight’

Radcliffe apologizes for Comic-Con ‘non-presence’

Gambon sees ‘no point’ in reading Rowling’s books

Emma Watson talks about her e-mail pal, J.K. Rowling

Comments

21 Responses to ‘Harry Potter’ countdown: Exclusive video on the making of ‘Hallows’ music

1. Brian says:

The music is such a critical element in capturing the emotions and story lines within the text that are not or can not be translated onto the big screen.

2. William S. says:

One of the greatest living composers! David Heyman really nailed it! None-the-less, I hope that film score master, John Williams, contributes to the final chapter in someway. Props Alexandre, again you have impressed me beyond what I can express.

3. franckolat says:

Oh my God, I love Alexandre Desplat's face! He looks like he could play the villain in a really scary movie. I can't wait to hear this series' musical return to form! (After Nicholas Hooper's two monumental flops.)

• Marthe says:

What? I love Nicholas Hooper's music! I listen to it constantly, actually more than the other films, and the Chamber of Secrets music. Those has the best music.

• L.J.D says:

Ditto. Hooper wasn’t a flop. I actually really enjoyed the HBP score

• franckolat says:

I enjoyed it too, but still, it was a flop musically-speaking. In my opinion, these soundtracks were full of gimmicks and simple motifs repeated ad-nauseam.

• annelynn says:

Surely you are referring to the composer of Goblet of Fire (Patrick Doyle) who really did repeat the same motif ad nauseum —- and then had the nerve to repeat it in Nanny McPhee!!! Nicholas Hooper is a worthy co-composer eith John Williams!!

• Jack says:

franckolat is right. Hooper's scores were both inconsequential. They didn't advance any of the previous music or establish any new strong musical ideas. They won't be remembered.

• Greg says:

I for one must say that the Umbridge theme as well as the Dumbledore's Army theme, of which Hooper created, are two of the most memorable and iconic themes to me from not just the Potter films, but film scores in general, so to me his scores will definitely be remembered. For me the weakest score by far is Patrick Doyle's.

• Jared says:

Which is hilarious, as Mister Doyle is the most established of composers apart from John Williams himself. I think he did an excellent job.

Amongst the most iconic film themes in history? You must be joking. The only piece I remember is the Weasley twins' departure scene music, which I only recall because I was looking forward to an excellent score and almost threw my iPod out the window when the guitars rolled in.

4. Nick Stanley says:

I love the previews of the score I've heard so far. I really appreciate that I can hear elements of the three composers who preceded him in this score. I was afraid he'd ignore Patrick Doyle and Nicholas Hooper's efforts, but it very appropriate to tie it all the soundtracks together for this movie. I just hope John William's score of Part 2 sounds like a logical continuation of Part 1; the film is, after all, one story told in two parts.

5. Jasmine Pittman-Soto says:

I have listened to the samples and they are amazing.I love "Snape to Malfoy Manner".It is wonderful.He can never compare to the other 3 composers though,I am sorry.John Williams was a genius, Patrick Doyle's was so beautiful, and Nicholas Hooper's was epic.Although he has alot of songs to offer,I do not think he will be able to reach the standards as the other 3 have.

6. A. Rod. says:

I thought Nicholas Hooper was a great composer. Alexander Desplat is obviously a bit more experienced; he knows how to emphasize the high points and low points of the film; and based on the samples I listened to, he has definitely created a memorable piece of work with an eerie quality that fits this Harry Potter film. I agree with L.J.D., the HBP soundtrack was pretty incredible, and Hooper's In Noctem was nothing like I've ever heard before (I wish they'd kept it in the actual film). The only thing I did not like about Hooper was that he did not contruct music in scenes where music was very pivotal, and–at the end of Ootp and HBP–I felt he did not know how to properly combine the music with the fading-out of the film; it was somewhat anti-climactic. Regardless, Hooper and Desplat are two different composers with differing approaches to the material. Desplat has revolutionized the score (based on what I've heard), and I think this score challenges that of John Williams's, or is at least up to par with his.

7. telly says:

the music makes the movie!!!! oh how i wish i was playing in this orchestra!!!

8. Harry says:

everyone wanna ticket for free for watching harry potter movie 7 i have 3

9. Kaisar Aman says:

I think this will be one of the greatest movie soundtracks of all time…………………………….
    I love it………………………….

10. haris novianto says:

i think thats the harrypotter soundtrack music , good and very intiristing to the listen everybody.okay.

11. exogenesis. says:

where did you listen to the samples?