Nov. 12, 2010 | 8:37 a.m.

A MONTH OF MAGIC: Hero Complex is counting down to the Nov. 19 release of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1” — the penultimate film in the history-making “Potter” franchise — with exclusive interviews, photos, videos and reports from the set. Today, a chat with the Brothers Phelps, who portray the Weasley twins.

phelps Harry Potter countdown: Phelps twins talk about life, death, acting and Weasley courage

The Phelps Brothers (Getty)

(SPOILER ALERT: IF YOU DIDN’T READ THE “HALLOWS” BOOK, THIS STORY WILL REVEAL MAJOR PLOT POINTS)

Fans may have lamented the loss of Fred Weasley’s life and George Weasley’s ear when they read “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” but James and Oliver Phelps, who play the mischievous Weasley twins in the “Potter” movies, were excited for the gore. “To be honest with you, I think ever since we started these movies, not specifically this character, but I’ve always wanted to die on screen,” James said. “So I guess that was something ticked off the box.”

Though he was anxious to portray the “shocking” moment as readers had imagined it, he said, dying wasn’t all that difficult. “I just had to lie there,” he said. “I guess that was quite easy.” Losing an ear also proved pain-free for Oliver. “It was amazing how comfortable it was, losing an ear,” he said. “I’ve always wanted a bit of a gory effect, really, in any of the films, so to get to do something like this was really cool.” Less exciting for Oliver was having to play the part of a brother who survives his twin.

phelps1 Harry Potter countdown: Phelps twins talk about life, death, acting and Weasley courage

Phelps twins in "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (Warner Bros)

“I had to get myself into that mindset of what it would be like and try to make it feel as real as possible,” Oliver said. “There’s a scene where he’s laid out in the Great Hall, and to look at that, that was really surreal, actually, because they pale him up and everything. For me, it was really quite an odd scene to film, especially because I was supposed to be crying my eyes out, and to do it with the whole Great Hall full of people, as well. It was a different day of filming from anything we’d done before.”

The first film in the two-part “Harry Potter” finale marks the beginning of the end for the 10-year, eight-film franchise that showcased the brightest of British talent.

For the Phelps twins, now 24 years old, it’s the end of their first – and in all probability, their biggest — acting gig, though both plan to continue in acting.

Robbie Coltrane told us on our first movie [“Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone”], ‘This is like having a Rolls Royce for your first car, because you’ll be very lucky if you ever get anything better than this,’” James said. “It’s been as good as you’d expect and better, because they are genuinely really nice people. You go on set with all these legends, and I suppose you’d assume them to be big egos, but not at all. they’re all just really down-to-earth and really approachable.”

Oliver said that he and James often turned to Julie Walters, who plays Molly Weasley, for her advice on working specific scenes. And when the brothers were going to perform a reading with the Hallé orchestra, Michael Gambon read through the lines with them, showing them how he’d perform it. “I think we’ve almost been spoiled, really. It is almost like leaving a university-type place where we’ve had these great lecturers we’ve been able to always go to to advice,” Oliver said. “We’ve been at Hogwarts for longer than most people have been at high school.” Oliver speculates that George Weasley’s character has rubbed off on his “subconscious state” after a decade playing the prankster on screen.

“We have been (pranksters) the past. Whether that’s the character rubbing off on myself, or whether I would have been like that my whole life, I’m not too sure,” Oliver said. “At school, I was always, not the class clown or anything, but I’d always have a bit of a joke with my friends and that. And just being able to do it for 10 years, especially in that stage when you’re growing up and learning who you are and such, I’m sure it has taken root somewhat.”

It works both ways. James and Oliver Phelps have also rubbed off on Fred and George Weasley in the films. The Phelps twins occasionally find themselves finishing each other’s sentences, Oliver said, which is how the Weasley twins began speaking in unison on the big screen.

“That’s how it all came into the film really,” Oliver said. “On the third film, we were having a meeting with Alfonso [Cuarón], and either James cut me off or I cut James off, and you just saw a smile appear on Alfonso’s face, and he said, ‘Oh, I like that, I like that. Lets work that into it.’”

hp7a trl 2913 Harry Potter countdown: Phelps twins talk about life, death, acting and Weasley courage

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" (Warner Bros)

But James is quick to point out that twins aren’t identical in every way, even when they’re as closely knit as the Weasleys. “We may be completely wrong, but to us it kind of seems that Fred’s a bit more of the leader, and George kind of just goes with it, which is completely different to Oliver and I, because we’re both trying to boss each other around,” James said. “When people aren’t twins or haven’t got twins in the family, they kind of relate them as just one group.”

Oliver said he and James support rival soccer teams. James dresses more casually. “And I’m definitely the tidiest of the two of us,” Oliver said. “Definitely. We live together, and it always seems to be me putting the dishes away.”

They said they enjoyed being among “older kids” in the cast, growing up alongside their characters.

weasleys Harry Potter countdown: Phelps twins talk about life, death, acting and Weasley courage

Weasleysin earlier days (Warner Bros)

“While everyone else is learning math and science and that, we’re playing darts and wasting the day, as it were,” Oliver joked.

The Weasley twins left their school days in a blaze of glory near the end of the fifth film and opened their own joke shop, Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes, in the sixth, selling tricks and novelties, like “Pimp-Your-Broomstick” kits, shoes that walk on walls, and spot-removal glamours. But in the final two films, the brothers focus less on childish pranks and more on the resistance movement.

“It was really cool, actually, because in the other films we’ve always been like the comic relief characters,” Oliver said. “We’ve always been able to turn up on set and just keep smiling while the camera’s rolling. It was really good being able to show a different side of the character, and being able to show that Fred and George are quite aggressive, as well. They see the danger, and they want to go at things full on.”

That’s not to say their methods don’t still have the Weasley flair for a good gag. In one scene called “Seven Harry scene,” six cast members all become Harry to help him in an escape plot, in the tradition of “The Thomas Crown Affair” – a typical Weasley twin stunt, James said.

“That kind of shows that they’re kind of growing up, and they’re men as well,” he said. “So although they like to joke, it shows the adult and serious side of Fred and George. Obviously, they’re ready to fight, and that isn’t really a laughing matter.”

In the end, James and Oliver said, the Weasleys are true Gryffindors. “Fred and George are pranksters, and Ron’s clumsy, and whatnot; I think deep down, all the Weasleys have got a good heart on them. They may not have a lot, but they like to share it,” James said. “It’s about being courageous, never-say-die, always keep going,” Oliver said. “They show that later on, certainly in the ‘Deathly Hallows,’ when they’re prepared give it their all, give up everything they have for the greater good.”

– Noelene Clark

hp7 dom rgb 1600x2366 Harry Potter countdown: Phelps twins talk about life, death, acting and Weasley courage

VIDEO: Watch “Potter” stars arrive at London premiere

Tom Felton: The final films will not disappoint

Rupert Grint: I’m happy to be unemployed

Radcliffe on his tearful final day on “Potter” set

ON THE SET:  Forget Hogwarts, stars love fugitive life

Which “Potter” star needed fat-suit after weight loss?

EXCLUSIVE: Tom Felton gives us a tour of “Potter” props

Warwick Davis channels his inner goblin

Jason Isaacs: Lucius Malfoy = Lady Gaga

Stephen King: Rowling is talented, Meyer can’t write

Comments

85 Responses to ‘Harry Potter’ countdown: Phelps twins talk about life, death, acting and Weasley courage

1. obj says:

hey idiots, good job putting DEATH right in the title

• Katie says:

Hey idiot, they didn't say "FRED DIES AND GEORGE LOSES AN EAR" in the title. It could have meant anyone's death.

• Timothy Marton says:

It said right there SPOILER if you dont want to know DONT IT IDIOT plus it dosent really matter that some people dont read the books 4 years old most people should know this by now even if not hardcore potter fans this is essetial information

• Holly says:

You really shouldn't call them idiots like that. They weren't giving anything away there. The article could have said the Phelps twin want to die on screen one day, or which Harry Potter death bothers them the most, or something like that. Don't criticize them for bringing you this information, because obviously, if you didn't care, then you wouldn't have read this article. Personally, I appreciate the Phelps twins' work, as well as this interview.

• Jason says:

It doesn't even say that one of the twins die. It reads as if they are generally talking about life, death, etc…

• smd says:

anyone who thinks this is a spoiler: READ THE BOOKS. Don't call it a spoiler if theres a book already saying what happened.

• Danie says:

Hey Idiot, What are you doing reading these articles if you haven't even read the book yet? It's been out for so long, you've had time to read it so you should not complain that this was spoiled. Besides, it could have refereed to ANYONE's death, not theirs. Again, why even read articles about the movie if you don't want to know what will happen yet?

• jenn says:

if you had READ THE BOOKS or at least listened to them on tape, you would have known, it says there is a spoiler in the title and everything has to end in that book, so people in the story on both sides had to die to make it more interesting and she had to wrap up so readers knew what happened to all of the major characters. it would have been a very short and unexciting/shallow series if it had only focosed on harry and voldemort and rowling had not developed any of the other characters. that's what made it so special, so since you don't read obviously, you didn't see the warning, sham on you. a real fan, or one with mild interest would have taken the time to read the books and known the fate of fred and george three years ago, deal with it and keep your snippy rude comments to yourself..

• Common Sense says:

It's common knowledge that there are deaths in the last book. So really, it's not a spoiler at all.

• nellie says:

there's a spoiler alert, you idiot

• Jason says:

Darth Vader is Luke;s father!

Rosebud was his sled!

Settle down, the book is three years old. The title could have been about death in the books, in general.

• suzzie says:

excuse me idiot but have you read the books, i'm guessing not because it has nothing to do with someone's death as the deathly hallows are a collection of three items that can do anything.
      So if you want my advice, go out buy the book and read it and when you find out about the deathly hallows and when you do i hope you feel like a right idiot.

• HP Fan says:

If you really care about everything that has anything to do with HP you should read the books…

• lexi says:

maybe you should pick up a book and read

• Leah says:

Anybody who hasn't read the last book by now can't complain about having the story spoiled for them. Besides, the heading says nothing about who dies. It could have been an entirely different character whose death affected them.

2. Goose says:

Didn't read the Harry Potter books but love the movies? Why watch the highly anticipated movie when you can read a rambling article about it right here? Don't want to read the article? No worries, we'll attempt to spoil it for you in the headline. Then we'll put that headline front and center on the website. This way you can't avoid it.

A news source who's name includes the city synonymous with movie making is giving out spoilers in headlines (not just articles) for major theatrical releases before opening weekend. Brilliant!

• Tru Fax says:

Didn't care enough about the plot to read the books? Who cares if you get spoiled by an article about the movies? No one!

• Pam says:

ANY true Harry Potter fan reads the books and then watches the movies. So we already know what is going to happen and it does not spoil it for any of us. You did not have to read the article and it does not really spoil any of the movie in own opinion!

• God You're an Idiot. says:

You're an idiot. There is no form of spoiler in that title. Everyone knows that there will be some death in the movie, and the title gives nothing away. Don't read the article if you don't want to know who it is.

• nellie says:

um, hello. there's a spoiler alert at the beginning. it says right there: SPOILER ALERT

• Rei says:

Well maybe you shouldn't be reading anything on their page, because this is the fan page for Harry Potter. Not just for the movies. But for the books as well. If you are too lazy to read the books why are you bothering with the movie? Go sit in your recliner and stuff your face with hot wings. All the real Harry potter fans have read the books so its not a surprise to us. And truthfully you had to have set up your own failure. You should have known better.

3. Celia says:

I love them. I bawled like a baby when…what happens happened in the book. It's so sad. It's going to be really hard to watch that on-screen.

The twins are awesome!!

• Anna says:

I agree completely. I couldn't stop crying when I bought the book…at the midnight time too lol. It was a great story, and I can't believe it's over. I was crying so much my face turned tomato red and my sister walked in on me thinking something was wrong. It's going to be very difficult to watch on screen…I will probably be tearing up a lot.

• ash says:

same here i cryed do much i cant wait to watch it thow but your right its gonner be hard x

• Gabby says:

I absolutely love the Phelps twins! Thank you guys so much for interviewing them. Fred and George Weasley are my favorite characters and these guys portray them perfectly. They bring life to these characters and I love seeing their growth throughout the movies. Hearing that they fight as being the leader is hilarious.

4. Angie says:

OMG I can’t believe its almost the end of harry potter. I remember going to see the first movie when I was 16 and loving it from the very begining. I’ve seen all the movies, and I can hardley wait for the next one in a week!!!!

• Morgan says:

I know I feel the same way I literally grew up with Harry Potter as I was only 4 when I read the first book and saw the movie. I'm so excited for Part 2 now because Part 1 was so amazing!

5. Matt says:

They're not just pranksters–they're also great businessmen. Take a look at some business tips from Fred and George Weasley:

6. Liberty says:

The Weasleys are so inspiring and so humble and so

courageous. I’m going to miss the HP series :( Great article!

7. Fgsfds says:

"For the greater good" I love them so much for saying that

8. angela says:

I AM THE BIGGEST TWINS FANGIRL ON THE PLANET I AM ALSO VERY EMOTIONAL I AM GOING TO CRY SOOOOOOOOOO HAAARD

9. Kathleen Kennedy says:

Can't wait until the 19 to see part one, oh no a year until part two

10. sholeve says:

if you didnt read the book and don't know whats gonna happen thats your own dam problem

11. julia says:

hola como andas?

12. Katie (luna) says:

You shouldn't call them idiots and the twins are awesome. i am a obessed harry potter fan, the twins being my favorite characters. They are true gryffindores and have a pure heart and if you can't see that you shouldn't be commenting on this.

13. claudia leon says:

me gustaria ver a los gemelos llorando porque en las peliculas siempre se vuelven pura risa y bromas

14. CJ.B says:

some people need to calm down, the people who havnt read or listened to the books clearly arnt true fans so its no one elses falt if they see a spoiler they have had enough time to read the book if they havnt they shouldnt be reading ANY artical on HP coz all of them will have some sort of information in!

• TRUEHARRYPOTTERFAN says:

well actually you can be true fans is you have seen the movies the movies and the books are almost the same but some details from the books are taken out of the movies but they always keep the main problem and scenes in the movies so if you have seen the movies you can still be a true Harry Potter fan i am i watched all the movies up to the 6 movie and i have read all the books : – )

15. Michelle says:

Oh read a book. It’s not hard.

16. Carma says:

I read the entire series and look foeward to each of the movies.

17. JAXX says:

I definitely Cried hardcore when that happend! No matter what though As long as they stay true to the last book All those years of going to the theatre id worth it!

18. Ralph Sayah says:

Would you stop this please? And the twins rocks !!! I have a twin brother !! :P Really

19. Tia says:

This is outrageous that any of you would comment so rudely about this article. Why read it if you were gonna put some crap down like that? Ignorance. Don’t pay attention to articles if you don’t care and have no respect for anyone.

20. Sara Richardson says:

It has been no secret that there is death surrounding the characters in the books and movies….it didn't say in the headline who dies….just that they talk about it. I think its great that he put a spoiler alert, he did that just to make sure people didn't read something they didn't want to know yet…..give the writer some credit, i liked the article.

21. Fansies says:

if you didn't want to read the article you shouldn't have clicked on the link. – duh

22. Brey says:

Amazing actors and an amazing interview. I will also be sad seeing what happens in the book on screen, I just hope it's how I pictured it.

23. Greg Allen says:

Great article Noelene!

24. Sal says:

I loved this article. This is an interesting interview and MAKES ME EVEN MORE excited to watch that scene but it's in part 2!!!!

25. duh says:

shouldn't have clicked on the link if you didn't want to read the article..

26. leanne says:

GREAT ARTICAL!!! I love the twins! I think their characters are so much fun and rebel, as most teenagers do!

27. Aaron says:

omg omg poor fred an george an defo harry ron an hermione coz there on the run from snatchers an death eaters an a few creatures from previous years i am obbssessd wiv harry potter more than i am n dubz haha lol

28. Crys! says:

aaw!! I Don't Want EITHER Of the twins to Die!!
    I Love ALL OF The Weasley Brothers!!! Especially The Twins!!
    Aaw It Sucks!!I Better Get Out The Tissues When I Enter The Cinemas!!!

29. Kurby says:

shocking – someone dies in Harry Potter. Too bad some people can't figure it out. Guess all the deaths in the first 6 books weren't a clue

30. puru says:

WAITING FOR THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IN 3D!!!!!!!!

• sorry says:

Sorry puru but if you have not heard they cannot make part 1 of HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS in 3D because they can't do it in time but the movie will still be split in two parts and the secend part of HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS will be in 3D

31. tim says:

i think all those who r ritin things like
    oh why did u ruin the story 4 me and all that LOOK UP THE TOP
    and besides the movies arent nerly as gud as the books so if u liked the 1st 6 movies reed the books coz the movies skip 1/2 the story such as doby he is in almost every if not in every book but only in the 2nd movie wich is reely annoying
    anyways loved the review hopefully it will b a gud movie unlike the 1st 6 :D

32. Talin says:

Um… The book/movie is titled, “Harry Potter and the DEATHLY Hallows.” One would assume that there is, in fact, going to be death somewhere in there. Probably lots of death. So no, no real spoiler in the article’s title, but thanks for playing.

I for one am looking forward to the conclusion of this series. It will be a great chance for the cast members to really show how much they’ve grown and learned over a decade of filming and acting experience. Should be quite a show.

• Jennifer says:

Exactly! It didn't say WHO died in the movie, just that the twins were talking about death. And if you read the article after there was the spoiler warning, then it's your own damn fault for reading! There is going to be more and more articles, videos, and interviews as DH Part 1 gets closer to release. If you haven't read the books, or if you just want to remain spoiler free, then DON'T read the articles. It's common sense, really.

I love the Phelps twins. They put the Weasley twins on screen just as I imagined them. I hope we see more of them after DH part 2!

33. Mariana says:

eles arrazaram e eu ja li o livro e estou doida para ver o filme entao athe dia 19 haha aposto q vai ser o melhor filme do seculo de acordo com a senhora mcgonnagol kkk frases de harry no seu primeiro jogo de quadribol amoo xu…

34. Therese says:

:D I read the book and loved it, I think the first time around reading it was so shocked, especially after the great hall scene when you found out that Tonks and Lupin died as well. But anyway It seems a little surreal that its finally coming to a cxlose, I've grown up with all of these charachters both ink and paper and on the screen, its a little bittersweet to think that its going to be over…

35. hoai says:

I love this novel, and the film. make me excited when read. the fim is not well as novel but I love all actor and actress in it.

36. nellie says:

I LOVE THEM!
    “On the third film, we were having a meeting with Alfonso [Cuarón], and either James cut me off or I cut James off, and you just saw a smile appear on Alfonso’s face, and he said, ‘Oh, I like that, I like that. Lets work that into it.’” hahaha:]
    twins are so awesome!!!!
    and it's so sad how Oliver mentions he CRIES in the movie!! omg it's gonna be soo freaking sad watching him cry!!!

37. Carol Pope-Narag says:

loved the book! and I'm sure I will love the film just as much! will be sad to see the franchise end.

38. JENNIFER JESSUP says:

O NOOOO THE LAST POTTER FILM THE LAST I'LL SEE OF OLIVER AND JAMES PHELPS AS THE WEASLEY TWINS. PASS THE TISSUES.

39. Hexiao Yu says:

Goooo handsome twins~

40. dulce says:

oooooooooo
    me encanta harry potter

41. RAJAT VERMA says:

I AM A BIG FAN OF HARRY POTTER AND I LOVE WATCHING ALL PARTS OF THIS MOVIE

42. RAJAT VERMA says:

I READ ALL THE ENTIRE SERIES OF HARRY POTTER AND I REALLY ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

43. read the books says:

I've read all the books several times and love the movies. I anticipate watching the movies to see how they are translated on screen. Nothing is spoiled for me even when I know what is going to happen. True fans read the books.

44. maria says:

“Robbie Coltrane told us on our first movie [“Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone”], ‘This is like having a Rolls Royce for your first car, because you’ll be very lucky if you ever get anything better than this,’” wow that´s probably true.. but i wish the Phelps Twins and all cast good luck ..you are all great. Maria

45. Chloe says:

As wierd as it sounds, I'm really excited to see how the death scene plays out. It seems like they nailed it. I know I'm going to be bawling my eyes out for sure.

46. Kala says:

I'm 13 i love james and oliver phelps:) <3 there hot!!! how old are they? idc i love them. can't wait to see part 2!!! If i can date one of them it would be mh… james. <3

47. Grace says:

It's not our fault if you haven't read the books…It says at the top, under the picture of the twins, that this contains spoiler info. You could have read the books most of us, and calling them idiots is a really mean thing to say. I cried in the 7th book so many times…the twins are my favorite! The Deathly Hallows book was so sad…but also amazing at the same time.

48. taslima poly says:

i jst lov james nd oliver(both)……………i luv dem!<3

49. BellaCullen says:

Love those gorgeous Phelps twins!

Post-Potter syndrome has hit hard, now that the last movie is out. The books and movies have meant so much to my me. I still remember watching the street on a hot summer day, back in 2000, for the FedEx truck to bring "Goblet of Fire."

50. PikachuSquirtle says:

I love these wonderful twins! 2014 and like…obsessed with the wonderful world of Harry potter! Fred and George= best characters ever!!!!!!!!!!!