‘Harry Potter’ countdown: Rupert Grint is happy to be unemployed

Oct. 28, 2010 | 9:29 a.m.

A MONTH OF MAGIC: Hero Complex is counting down to the Nov. 19 release of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1” — the penultimate film in the history-making “Potter” franchise — with exclusive interviews, photos, videos and reports from the set. Today’s post: A chat with Rupert Grint, who is living with his parents, mulling over his future and quite content to be finally out of work after a decade on “Potter.”

With the long-running “Harry Potter” franchise beginning to draw to a close, the three young actors who star in the epic fantasy films are finding themselves at the dawn of a new stage of their careers.

Harry Potter himself, Daniel Radcliffe, is preparing to star in February in a Broadway revival of the Frank Loesser musical classic “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying,” in addition to lining up new movie roles. Emma Watson, who plays the studious Hermione Granger, is attending Brown University in Rhode Island and will appear in the movie “My Week With Marilyn,” set for release next year.

And Rupert Grint, who portrays Harry’s best wizard buddy, Ron Weasley? Well, he’s blissfully unemployed.

“I am quite enjoying not doing anything,” said the laid-back 22-year-old, calling from his home outside London for a recent interview. “It’s been nice.”

It’s a big change of pace for Grint, who wrapped shooting the two-part “Harry Potter” finale, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” in June; the first part will open in theaters Nov. 19, the final installment will follow next summer. The films, which see the trio of friends leave the safety of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and set out on a quest to finally defeat the evil Lord Voldemort, were made simultaneously and were rather daunting for the actors, Grint said.

Rupert Grint in “Wild Target.” (Freestyle Releasing)

“The last films have been quite exhausting. It was over a year in production,” he said. “It was really full on.” Before he reported to work on the final “Potter” movies, Grint made the ensemble British comedy “Wild Target,” which opens Friday. Directed by Jonathan Lynn, the farce, based on the 1993 French film “Cible Emouvante,” revolves around a middle-aged hit man (Bill Nighy), the beautiful con artist (Emily Blunt) he has been commissioned to kill, and a petty thief (Grint) who discovers he’s pretty good with a gun and becomes the assassin’s apprentice.

Grint’s Tony also happens not to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he plays the black comedy for all it’s worth — his shocked, anxious reaction to his first kill is particularly memorable. “It was quite refreshing to do the film,” Grint said of “Wild Target.” “I liked the script, and I thought it would be quite good fun. It came at a good time, as I had just finished filming the sixth ‘Harry Potter.’ I quite liked working with different people.”

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" (Warner Bros.)

Although as Ron Weasley he has had moments of humorous screen time before, Grint admitted that comedy didn’t come naturally to him as an actor. “I find it quite difficult, I think, [compared] to other kinds of types of acting,” he confessed.

But Lynn said that Grint’s abilities served him well on set, working with the rest of the cast. “I think he has a real knack for comedy, but I do think he finds it difficult,” Lynn said. “I think he finds the absolute precision of it difficult…. The reason he does seem to have a knack for it is that he’s a natural, and he has this wonderful personae that works so well on the screen. He was the easiest and nicest person to have around, and he was determined to do whatever I asked.”

Grint doesn’t know what the future holds for him, but he is looking forward to the new “Potter” movies and the fact that the final film — next year – will be the first in the series to be in 3D. “The films seem to have gotten darker and darker,” he said. “This one is quite intense, especially the second part. It’s more like a war film because our friends are getting killed. There is fighting pretty much all the way through it.

“I think Part II definitely kind of suits itself more to 3D,” he added. “It’s more battle stuff and exploding stuff.”

As for his career, “I don’t have a plan,” he said, adding that he hasn’t ruled out following Radcliffe and doing theater. “It’s definitely an option. I think it would be quite fun. I’ll see what comes up.”

He might even leave his parents’ house at some point in the near future. “I have a place in London to where I go quite a bit. Eventually, I’ll move out.”

– Susan King

Radcliffe on his tearful final day on ‘Potter’ set

Radcliffe: I’m desperate to see ‘Hallows’

Tom Felton: The last two films will not disappoint

Stephen King: Rowling is talented, Meyer can’t write

‘Hallows’ wedding is franchise’s last festive moment

Radcliffe vamps for ‘Simpsons’ spoof of ‘Twilight’

Radcliffe apologizes for Comic-Con ‘non-presence’

Gambon sees ‘no point’ in reading Rowling’s books

Emma Watson talks about her e-mail pal, J.K. Rowling

Comments

30 Responses to ‘Harry Potter’ countdown: Rupert Grint is happy to be unemployed

1. Dawn says:

Actually, WB announced the movies will not be in 3D, which I'm fine with.

• Allie says:

Actually, they said the Part 1 will not be. They're working on Part 2 being 3D now that they have more time in between post-production and a release date. There wasn't enough time to reconfigure Part 1 into 3D, but Part 2 WILL be offered in 3D.

2. Mia Wheeler says:

It will be very sad to see it all come to an end, But I am so excited and I can't wait for NOV 19th I have the count down on my cell phone.

3. Bailey says:

Me and my friends are making t-shirts with quotes and cute little pictures on themand going at midnight… tehe :)

4. Sasha says:

Actually, WB announced Part I would not be converted to 3D in time, but Part II will be ready to go in 3D come July 2011.

5. Sasha says:

Dawn,
    Here is a link to WB's announcement about Part I only being 2D and Part II being released in both 2D and 3D. Both parts will be on IMAX which is awesome.

P.S.
    I'm also fine with it not being in 2D. I'm perfectly satisfed with the larger IMAX screen option without images flying at me. I also don't need this converted footage method so many film companies are rushing into. For the best graphics it's supposed to be filmed entirely in 3D (like how Avatar used this new technology), not converted later on.

6. Mike says:

This isn't the first in the series that was 3D. I saw Order of the Phoenix in 3D IMAX.

7. Thomas says:

Part 1 would have been the first entirely 3D film. Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince both had only selected sequences converted to 3D. Not the whole film.

8. miked930 says:

w.e about 2d 3d, im so upset this is over, some of the best movies ever. i love harry potter just classic genious….

9. Amu says:

It would sad to no more see Rupert as Ron! But I am also happy that he is moving on. He has earned his break and am sure he wlll bounce back with more interesting roles soon.

We already know he is tied up with 'Eddie the Eagle' and on a TV comedy called 'Come Fly with Me'.
    Good Luck Rupert! We love you and will always love you. :)

10. Sami says:

Hay Daniel i am a big fan of you and your movie Harry Potter i cant wait to see the movie!!!!

11. zoren says:

ah… so sad…… for ron leaving my favorite monve of all

12. Luka Nagode says:

Well, I heard that J.K. Rowling is getting bored of not wrighting the books of Harry Potter, so that she'll make atleast 3 more books…so….lets keep our fingers crossed ….=D

• Malfoy says:

Writing*. She never said she was bored of not writing them although she is still quite sad the books are over. She never said that she'd make three more books either, so I'm not sure where you're getting the information. Dan Radcliffe recently said that Jo has assured them that there will be no more Harry Potter books.

• ashim.asma says:

but if it happens, will not it be wonderful? the fact that the books have finished and the movies r also on the way makes me sad.

• Toe says:

I concur, however, she did say that she would consider continuing the series.
        On "The Oprah Winfrey Show" Friday (Oct. 1), author J.K. Rowling says she could possibly write two more books in the series.

"They're all in my head still. I could definitely write an eighth, a ninth book," Rowling says, setting Potterheads' hearts aflutter. "I think I am done, but you never know."

• Anji says:

She was teasing. But she doesn't believe in never. However, it is more likely that this will be it.

13. afendi says:

harry potter the bezz

14. arbie says:

cant wait to watch this movie..i really really love Harry Potter

15. damary says:

ya quiero ver esa pelicula me encanta la saga

16. suniljoel says:

i have never mised harry’s movie. now i am waiting to see this movie.

17. ahmed maghawry says:

every part from harry potter parts is better than before it and i can't really waiting to see it

18. Courtney says:

@ sasha do u live in sydney im goin there in about 2wks

HARRY POTTER carnt wait till it cums out n i also dont want it end i <3 HARRY POTTER N IVE READ THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS OVA N OVA AGAIN THEY R SOO GOOD!!!! PEACE OUT PPLS

19. rocky says:

harry potter is awsome ive never not seen a movie hope she makes more after this 1

20. joben says:

hello…

21. mohammad says:

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiz

22. Beau says:

in my country part 1 is coming november 17th :)

23. sean says:

Part is coming out on November 18th in my country,I can’t wait.