‘Harry Potter’: New Parseltongue translator lets muggles hiss like Slytherin

June 29, 2011 | 10:00 a.m.
hpchamber snakes Harry Potter: New Parseltongue translator lets muggles hiss like Slytherin

Harry Potter, played by Daniel Radcliffe, speaks Parseltongue to open the basilisk's chamber in "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets." (Peter Mountain/Warner Bros.)

THE LAST SPELL:Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — Part 2” closes out a decade of Hogwarts in Hollywood. Hero Complex is counting down to the release of the final film in the magical franchise with exclusive interviews and photos. Today: Hero Complex debuts a new Parseltongue translator from Warner Bros.

Muggles with a penchant for the Dark Arts can now hiss their way into the Chamber of Secrets or speak to Voldemort‘s serpentine pet Nagini. A new app from Warner Bros. translates words into Parseltongue, the wizarding world’s rare and raspy language that allowed Salazar Slytherin and his heirs to communicate with snakes.

It’s a fitting feature to mark the end of Harry Potter‘s journey. Long before he set off to hunt down horcruxes, Harry was a 10-year-old boy shocked to discover that he was conversing with a boa constrictor at the zoo. Aside from his trademark scar, Parseltongue was Harry’s first sign that he was special, though he later discovered the more sinister implications of being a Parselmouth.

The tool allows users to download an MP3 file of the translation, email it to a friend or post online via Facebook or Twitter.

Hero Complex got a first crack at it, but be warned: This creepy app is not for first-years or Hufflepuffs. You can try the app, which goes live today, here.

screen shot 2011 06 28 at 11 20 46 pm Harry Potter: New Parseltongue translator lets muggles hiss like Slytherin

The new Parseltongue Translator app. (Warner Bros.)

Comments

71 Responses to ‘Harry Potter’: New Parseltongue translator lets muggles hiss like Slytherin

1. Hayley says:

YES! Finally I can talk to snakes!

• Christine says:

It dosent work :'( Try to write I love you first and remember how it sounds like, and then write the dark lord.
      It's the same. I have used it a lot but now I'm a little sad :'(

2. Rich says:

Not for Hufflepuffs? Wow! What is that supposed to mean? In the last book when everyone was leaving the castle instead of fighting Hufflepuff had the most people stay to help fight outside of Gryffindor. Sounds like you need to get your facts straight before you start throwing around words trying to sound like you know Harry Potter!

• Sarah says:

If Slytherin is the most likely house to have a member speak Parseltongue, and Gryffindor is the most closely related house to Syltherin then it's a toss up between Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff to be the least likely. Since Ravenclaw's are the smartest, I'd say they're a safe bet for third place. Just saying.

• Kell Brigan says:

Well said!

• flightyadventure says:

Thank you! Where does this stigma come from. Hufflepuffs are a beautiful symphony of all of the gathered goods of all of the houses. If anything they are superior to all houses. Read the Sorting Hat's song in Order of the Phoenix. Go. No, I'll wait.

• Keaton says:

I think the comment was made because it is Hufflepuffs who are most worried by Harry's Parseltongue in book two.

• Randy says:

lol he reply to Hufflepuff cus they're good people as in they would be the least to try and go outside their comfort zone also they're pretty weak its simple idk why you guys make it so technical -_-

• Bellatrix says:

Its just because Hufflepuff has a reputation for being a load of duffers, quote from Hagrid.

• Hufflepuff says:

I happen to be one of the top students in my grade and a two time Varsity athlete in middle school. And I’m a hufflepuff. So I think that Hufflepuffs are equal, if not superior to the other houses. Heck, JK Rowling, herself, is a Hufflepuff.

3. Sanne says:

"Not for Hufflepuffs." … seriously?

4. Colette Roberts says:

Granny C. likes this!!!

5. Gina says:

T-H-A-T-S AWESOME!

6. lll says:

aw, come on! hufflepuffs are cool!

7. binu rai says:

Harry did an excellent job and that was absolutely fantastic, amazing and marvellous….extremely praiseworthy….and i’m also overwhelmed to learn parseltongue….

8. Suraj says:

Its horrific.. when u listen in a room alone at midnight :P

• Hillary says:

Ha ha I believe that but try watching a "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" trailer on IMDB in the dark when you are a easily scared person in a room that creeks at the same time that's also somewhat horrific.

9. Myranda says:

SWEET! :D

10. Kimsss says:

It just uses lines from the movies. Nothing special. And it repeats every other or more times.

• Emily says:

Actually, I believe that since they had a linguistics professor make an entire actual language of Parslemouth that could be translated, they actually translate your words on the app.

11. piyush says:

now thats something…. thanx WB

12. fergii says:

…The most anticipated moment is coming. is just perfect*

13. asu says:

creepy sound haha

14. Michelle says:

This is awesome! Now I can tell my snakes to stop biting the hand that feeds them.

15. zaeem says:

for "yo yo yo" i got :sakhai sakhai sakhai"…………hahhahahahahhahahahaha

16. Maddie says:

Hufflepuffs ARE cool. Don't get all butthurt. They just meant that Hufflepuffs would be the least likely to dabble in the Dark Arts. Could be a compliment.

17. Deeksha Nandan says:

Harry Potter is Amazing. Actually Mrs.J.K.Rowling Is Amazing. I want to thank Mrs.Rowling for writing such an incredible book. Nd also I wanted to thank that person who think to make the movie of Harry Potter. When I was 9 0r 10 years old Harry Potter And The Philospher Stone Movie Released and now I am 18 going to be 19 in october. From the past 10 Years I have always been desperately waiting for its next installment. But now only days left for the finale, that doesn’t mean that I am not happy I am really happy but to the other side I am little sad too. That in future there will be no harry potter movies or books for which I am going to be anxious about as in over ten years I have been. But ya there are e-books and potter more but that doesn’t make me as happy as the movie or book do. As said that “Tomorrow Is Mystery” no one knows what is future holding for us and whatever it is, it surely good for all of us:) Miss U Harry Potter.

• Ambrosia says:

Hey, you can always have HP partys & get excited about those. Or do movie marathons. Or, each time you finish a book you can have a viewing party of that movie & so on.. See, in my opinion, the HP phenomenon will never end for me/us fans!

• yug verma says:

hi

18. sarvjeet says:

I think the deathy hallows can't compete with the others like sorcerrer's stone and half blood brince

• fghjbnk says:

Philosophers, if your a true HP fan, stick with the title that JK Rowling wanted, she regrets letting them change it and the only english speaking country that uses it is USA

19. NishaN Roka says:

I Love You Harry Potter !!!!!!!!

20. Nathalie says:

So great app!!!

21. flatya says:

parselmouth is a great spell i think,

many people can’t spell it well,right?

22. Katie says:

Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders, apparently not great with parselmouth. :-)

23. Liasis says:

this app is just random sounds…i've typed the same three phrases multiple times and get different sounds every time. It gets old fast…nice idea but laking for die hards.

24. Rockz says:

Cool!!

25. nusrat keya says:

hi i hope the voldamort will not come back…

26. huda says:

oh god not ready to loose harry potter series forever plz somebody stops it being end…………………….
    feeling very bad d

27. Lucia says:

Que pena que o Harry Potter chegou ao fim, não vou perder o ultimo capitulo.
    amo Harry, Hermione e Rony.bjs pra todos

28. anonymous says:

I wish it was for real, and there was a language behind this bogus app. You can type in the same sentence twice and get two different sound recordings of parseltongue from the movie. There was no linguist behind this idea for sure. Disappointing. Much room for improvement. Harry Potter is not *just* a kid's story….don't treat us like we have no intelligence. Disguising the occasional comment in parseltongue with real syntax, would have been so much fun! Sadly this is not the app that will do it.

29. Mar says:

BEST APP EVERRR!

30. annie says:

I'm french but I speak english and I think it's not fair that this thing doesn't translate from french to Parseltongue.

31. Dimmons says:

Can´t wait to the movie comes out. And the translator is just awsome!

32. Nay says:

I feel like voldy is at my back jissing lol =D but it's really cool now I'm a parselmouth too :P xD

33. utkarsh says:

seriously WARNING HUFFLEPUFFS BE AWARE

34. Ana says:

Hahahaha :) not for Hufflepuffs. That's funny

35. Normand M Asselin says:

does anyone know if they will add to the dictionary for the translator, too many words and phrases come up undefined. I'd like to know how to say my own name in Parseltongue

36. Yael says:

"Not for Hufflepuffs"? Puleezz! I got sorted Hufflepuff at Pottermore and I LOVE snakes and would love to learn parselmouth.

37. Proud 'Puff says:

Hufflepuffs are awesome what r u talking about

38. rhfge says:

i know right?

39. Martina says:

I think I'm going to take the "not for Hufflepuffs" part as a compliment, since Parseltongue is usually associated to Dark wizards and those in black and yellow are the ones who produced the fewest of them. But if you meant that all Hufflepuffs are wimps and this is too creepy for us… fear the unspeakable wrath of the honey badger! Hello, stereotypes?! We're not losers, we're just underrated. Actually, I was glad to be Sorted into a House about which we know so little: this way, every little tidbit I learnt was new. With any of the other three, some of the information would have been old stuff.

40. Parseltongue says:

Hmm, I wouldn't necessarily trust this translator. .__.
    I typed in "Roger" to the box, and it translated it as "[...]sieth."
    And, hearing it, obviously it was taken from the scene in Chamber of secrets when Harry was speaking the language to open the door.
    Not holding it against anyone; Parseltongue was never built up completely as Elven was. Considering the fact that Miss Rowling isn't a Linguist, it's not surprising.
    lol Still love the translator, I'm just saying that it's about time that some fans built up the language. As I plan on doing >:}

41. Hpluver says:

For the parseltougue translater, if you type "Go" for one and "I don't know" For another one, its exacly the same. And There were two others like that as well :/

42. Miss Potter says:

Katie, it's parceltounge, not parcelmouth – by the way, I'm a Gryffindor and a parcelmouth (just like Harry)!

43. MidnightThreshal99 says:

I already know how to hiss like a slytherin listen: sigh ah share sitght (harry potter rocks), and sigh ha sa siteth (nigni dinner )

44. Kacey says:

Such a shame it's done now I found out I'd be in griffendore

45. A.Olner says:

If you got a problem with Hufflpuff you got a problem with hagrid! Plus Hufflepuff is the most fun to say.

46. A.Olner says:

If you got a problem with hufflpuff then you got a problem with hagrid. Plus Hufflpuff is the most fun to say if you ask me.

47. YourWorstNightmare says:

@A.Olner Hagrid wasn’t in Hufflepuff! He was a Gryffindor before Tom Riddle accused him of something he didn’t do. Hufflepuffs are NOT a bunch of duffers!! We’re so awesome we have the honey badger as our mascot

48. ciao says:

Non c'è più teste di cazzo, aggiornate il post!

49. Hufflepuff_rocks says:

I dont get the bod dealio of ppl hating Hufflepuff! Hufflepuff arent just some freaks who are chucked in the school who have no purpose Hufflepuff are truly loyal and trusty people even J.K.Rowling is a Hufflepuff! And I am a Hufflepuff too! And by the way where is the translator? I came on here and all it is, is explaining stuff about Parseltounges!

50. Slytherin says: