June 19, 2011 | 7:29 a.m.

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" (Warner Bros.)

What’s J.K. Rowling about to announce with the mysterious “Pottermore” project? Daniel Radcliffe says he’s in the dark on the topic, and, yes, he’s quite ready to say goodbye to the boy wizard at this point anyway.

“I know nothing about that whatsoever,” Radcliffe said of the cryptic new website that is meant to stir interest in the June 23 announcement of some new endeavor. “I’m sure that Jo will be writing a lot more in the coming years. I’m sure she has a lot more in her than we’ve read and a lot more stories to tell.”

Daniel Radcliffe makes his appearance in New York for the penultimate "Potter" film.

Daniel Radcliffe (Getty Images)

And he added, with a bit of a chuckle:  “As long as they don’t involve Harry, I’m quite happy to buy them.”

There was a great stir of interest in the Muggle world in recent days with news coverage of the website, which is so far just a holding page with two owls, the word “Pottermore” and the signature of Rowling, the author who mesmerized readers the world over with the magical tales of an orphaned boy wizard, his friends and the dark forces aligned against them.

The bookshelf chronicles of Harry Potter reached a climax in 2007 with the seventh and reportedly final book, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” and the Hollywood feature-film franchise draws to a close this summer with “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2,” the eighth film, which opens in the U.S. and U.K. on July 15.

There’s plenty of speculation about the nature of “Pottermore,” but the most likely might be an MMORPG, an online fan-community experience or a hybrid of both.  Rowling’s spokeswoman has stated that the project is “not a new book” and is not “directly related” to the impending “Potter” film.

That’s just fine with Radcliffe, now in New York, where he is starring in a revival of Frank Loesser’s 1961 musical, “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying” for the rest of the year. The reviews in the big city have ranged from sunny to sour, but — reached by phone on Friday a few hours before show time — the young star sounded more concerned about stage stamina than his standing with critics. “We’re doing well,” he said, “and now I just have to keep it up until January.”

Ralph Fiennes, Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Tom Felton at the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" premiere in New York, Nov. 15, 2010. (Shannon Stapleton/Reuters)

Radcliffe has possessed — and been possessed by – the role of Potter for half his life, and right now he’s experiencing an intense jumble of emotions. “It is bizarre; we’ve been talking about it for so long, and now it’s finally here.”

And yes, for the record, he’s absolutely ready to hang up the Hogwarts robe for good. But what about that notion of a later movie based on some new Rowling-penned adventure? Does Radcliffe harbor any secret wish to reconnect with his signature role sometime down the road?

“Not particularly. I think that would be a bit odd,” said the actor, who celebrates his 22nd birthday the week after the eighth film opens. “I’d be very skeptical about that. First of all, I don’t think that she will” write another Potter installment, “and second of all, oh, I don’t know, the idea of going back to something after 10 or 20 years? At that point, I will have worked 20 years to establish a career outside of it, and at that point to go back to it would feel a little self-defeating.”

Perhaps, but Radcliffe is already wise enough to know that you can never really say never. There may be some magic moment when someone offers him a wand and the perfect script. “I could feel completely different at that time, but at this moment, it feels like it would be strange and not the way it would or should go.”

– Geoff Boucher

Watson: Dance scene ‘divided’ the ‘Potter’ crew

The story behind Harry and Hermione’s dance

Dear Oscar voters: Stop ignoring ‘Potter’

Hogwarts online: Will ‘Potter’ join DC Universe?

Spielberg’s idea? An animated ‘Potter’ franchise

VIDEO:  Tom Felton gives tour of ‘Potter’ props

Bonham Carter: Bellatrix is ‘weirdly sexy’

Grint: I’m happy to be unemployed

Phelps twins on life, death and Weasley courage

Evanna Lynch: I was born to be Luna Lovegood

Comments

18 Responses to ‘Harry Potter’ star Daniel Radcliffe: It would be ‘self-defeating’ to ever reprise role

1. Rene' Levenson says:

My daughter Ashley has also grown up with all the Harry potter movies and will be sad to see it end. She has read all the books and we were at the premiere day of the opening of the Hogwarts theme park last June 18th.We both have followed Daniel Radcliffe in becoming a fantastic young person and look forward to what he will be doing next.

• Another HP reader says:

One thing I like about the Harry Potter trio actors is that they have so far avoided the scandal and other substance abuses. While they may not have mastered the craft of their trade yet, I think they have done well for themselves. I wish them success as they carve out a niche in whatever career path they choose.

• john d'eugene says:

They have mastered their craft, theirs is the definitive role for each of their separate parts, no one else could have done equally well, let alone bettered their performances. An epic achievement that your children will take for granted and we will look back upon with an older and wiser perspective. These are the good old days. Enjoy life and cheers to J K Rowling and her minions. JSJR 7192011

2. guest says:

What is he worried about? The new Harry will be the evil twin, taller and cooler. He won't get the part.

3. MEL says:

I love him! He's so intelligent and amazing.

4. john says:

I LOVE YOU HARRY POTTER

5. aholee says:

What about in 25 years, when you are overweight and haven't made a movie for 5 years and spent all your money? Would you pick up the magic wand one more time?

6. dan says:

the magic with the cast and crew happened 7 times(last one split in 2). Nothing lasts forever but they made it work – for that I am grateful. All of these "kids" grew up on the stage. It is quite natural for them to get away from it after acting the same role(albeit very lucrative for them) for roughly 10 years straight!

Lets see what they really can do now!
    IMHO, HP is not HP without supporting cast…those who I will miss….
    Remas Lupin, Hagrid, Hedwig, Weasley Twins(one is dead), and honestly the one character I will miss is….no not Snape….Beletrix.

There you have it!

Cheers

7. Taylor says:

Reading the comments… no wonder he doesn’t feel like represing the role. Some “fans” are just not worth it… And you guys obviously don’t know anything about Dan. He doesn’t waste his money. And if his acting career finishes, he has many other talents and dreams to fulfill. I completely understand him and what he says, it makes sense, but some people are just too stupid to even try to understand. He is the first one who says he can have a completely different opinion in 20 years… but I guess most of you didn’t even read the entire article. Too much reading hurt your eyes? I’m pretty sure none of you guys haven’t even read the books and aren’t HP fand, so care about your opinion…

• Anonymous says:

Wow, I feel so privileged to read a comment by the one person who "completely understands" Daniel Radcliffe.

Anyway, let's face it, Harry Potter is a YA project. Any adult who holds more than nostalgic appreciation for the series either doesn't read very often or is facing serious maturity problems.

• Zachary Palumbo says:

You could say that about the earlier books in the series. The later Potter books, though, have a universal appeal because they are layered, complex stories with excellent writing that are still accessible to children at their most basic level. Even Stephen King has gone on record saying that Rowling is a "fantastic writer". I think the master of a literary genre is pretty credible when it comes to judging authors.

8. Mz.Am.Staff says:

Well, I am approaching a half of a century and will be dishearten to see the young masterful wizards leave. I do hope that the end is only the beginning – wizards never lose their power – it can be transferred or summoned at the most dire moment of need

9. fghjbnk says:

He is the only one who stars in these films that seems to hate the fact that JK Rowling could write another if she does it might not be turned into a film becaquse they have only bought the rights the the seven. I personally don't care if he dislikes the idea of anything new for Harry Potter, i think he is a good actor for Harry. I love harry potter and he does appriceate it but stop going on about the fact that you would never reprise the role

10. #1fan says:

It sure would be very sad to see the Harry Potter series end. I always used to be excited everytime a new harry potter movie came out. But I'm very happy to see that everyone is moving on and I wish all the cast of Harry Potter good luck and i hope to see you all in your new movies.

11. HP Fan says:

It seems time for Dan Radcliffe to live a Harry Potter free life for a while. But who knows, in 10 to 20 years, our world may be in need of a great Wizard to save it all once again… You never know. That's why I always use pencil with a good eraser. Thank you Dan Radcliffe for your talent and commitment.

12. Kurtz Garfield says:

The series was amazing, the actors & actresses the same.
    Emma watson, you are an exceptional actress.
    I would love to meet you.

As for further installments.. Let us be surprised.

13. harry potter says: