‘Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug’ trailer shows dragon, Orlando Bloom

June 11, 2013 | 2:52 p.m.

Azog, portrayed by Manu Bennett through motion-capture technology, in "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug." (Warner Bros.)

The first trailer for “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” offers fans a glimpse of the gold-hording dragon Smaug, the return of fan-favorite elf Legolas (Orlando Bloom) and a peek at the horrors ahead in the Mirkwood forest.

“The Desolation of Smaug,” which hits theaters Dec. 13, is part two in the series, following last year’s box office hit “An Unexpected Journey.” “Desolation” picks up where the first film left off, after hobbit Bilbo, wizard Gandalf (Ian McKellen) and the dwarfs escape from a band of bloodthirsty orcs.

In the two-minute trailer, Smaug (played by “Star Trek Into Darkness” actor Benedict Cumberbatch through performance-capture technology) turns a fiery eye on Bilbo (Martin Freeman), who has sneaked into the enormous dragon’s lair. The dragon’s attack on and occupation of the dwarf kingdom of Erebor is the catalyst for the story in Peter Jackson’s planned “Hobbit” trilogy, based on the book by J. R. R. Tolkien.

The trailer begins with a voice-over by Lee Pace’s Elvenking Thranduil, seen in flashbacks in the first film.

“Where does your journey end?” he says. “You seek that which would bestow upon you the right to rule. The quest to reclaim a homeland and slay a dragon.”

What follows is an action-packed trailer, complete with combat with the pale orc Azog, the barrel escape scene from the book, a giant spider creeping up on Bilbo, and a run-in with a beast that could be Beorn, the skinchanger bear-man to be played by Mikael Persbrandt.

At one point, dwarf king Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage) and his men come face to face with Legolas and his bow and arrow.

“Do not think I won’t kill you, dwarf,” the blond elf, played by Orlando Bloom, warns Thorin. Legolas was a favorite in Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” trilogy a decade ago, but he did not appear in last year’s film.

Also new to the second “Hobbit” installment is Tauriel, an elf woman created for the film and played by Evangeline Lilly.

“When did we allow evil to become stronger than us?” the warrior says as the trailer shows her on horseback, notching an arrow in her bow. Later in the trailer, she tries to persuade Legolas to join the fray, telling him, “It is our fight.”

Luke Evans also makes his debut as Bard the Bowman, a Laketown human who has a key role to play in the tale.

Other returning characters include Gandalf, fellow wizard Radagast (Sylvester McCoy), and Thorin and his company of dwarfs.

Like its predecessor, “The Desolation of Smaug” was shot in 3-D at 48 frames per second and will be released in 2-D, High Frame Rate 3-D, other 3-D formats and IMAX.

The third and final film in the trilogy, ‘The Hobbit: There and Back Again,” is slated for a December 2014 release.

Watch the trailer and check out stills from the film in the gallery above.

– Noelene Clark | @NoeleneClark

A poster for "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug." (Warner Bros.)‘The Hobbit’ collected: Complete coverage

‘Hobbit’ 60 photos from Middle-earth

‘Hobbit: Unexpected Journey’ earns $1 billion

‘There and Back Again’ release pushed back

‘Hobbit’ Blu-ray first release: No extended edition

‘Hobbit’ FX wiz Joe Letteri on Gollum, the Goblin King

‘Hobbit’: Martin Freeman on Bilbo’s moral code

Ian McKellen,Tolkien guardian, acting wizard

‘Hobbit’: Richard Armitage finds Thorin in ‘Macbeth’

‘Hobbit’: Peter Jackson, the Hero Complex interview

Comments

21 Responses to ‘Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug’ trailer shows dragon, Orlando Bloom

1. John says:

This looks terrible. What I liked about the LOTR movies was the restraint in using CGI, unlike let's say the new Star Wars movies the LOTR movies used actors in prosthetics. Everything in this trailer looked like a video game.

• Joe says:

RESTRAINT? Go back and watch it again. Whole characters were cgi and so many of the scenes and armies were cgi. Peter is doing what he did with the original and using the latest tech for his movies.

• Nique says:

Im sorry to say, all the actors are infact in their prosthetic suits and some of their beards are cgi

2. Michael says:

Wonderful! Cannot wait!

3. tidepool says:

Think it will be wonderful but too overloaded with tree-hopping elves in this trailer, including Bloom. Really great stuff mixed with some poor CGI and Bloom's overdone contact lenses. (I do like Bloom/Legolas, but this looks like more than a nod to LOTR unlike the minimal scenes w. Frodo). It will be extraordinary but this should be left as an online teaser and not be put in theaters until CGI gets cleaned up – and the focus is more on dwarves, Bilbo, and Gandalf (and dragon) which is what the story arc is supposed to be.

4. Crawford Sullivan says:

The first one should have been called An Unnecessary Journey

5. Andrew says:

I want to like this. I really do. But my worst fears about this seem to be coming true: They are making another "LOTR" trilogy — a grand, sweeping epic about good and evil and major forces vying for control of Middle Earth. And from a financial aspect, I totally get that.

But that's not what the book was about. It is a quest — a long, hard one perhaps. But it was a quest where Bilbo overcame his fears and discovered his bravery and learned to love adventures. That's it.

• Greg says:

Then don't go watch it and by the way majority of the people don't care what you think.

• smeagol says:

the trilogy isnt only going to be just on the hobbit he jackson said he was going to make two but decided to make 3 and hes using the events that are only referenced at in the back of the return of the king he said thats the base of the third going into that

• Andrew says:

I know. And Mr. Jackson is entitled to make any kind of film he likes. I just find it interesting that they have wonderful, rich (albeit different from LOTR) source material — and yet there is some need to pump it up more, enhance it.

• CaptainLepidus says:

Peter Jackson's Hobbit trilogy is not Tolkien's Hobbit book.

They are set in the same universe, and in the same time period. They follow some of the same characters. But they are very different stories, and intentionally so.

Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you to decide.

6. MDA042 says:

I wish The Hobbit had been done more towards the spirit of the book. The Hobbit is a bit more light-hearted than the trilogy that followed it. And I know there are some undeniable dark moments within the original text, but overall it is a quick paced fairy tale kind of a story for the young and young at heart.
    I guess what I am really not on board with is that this story is being dragged out too long to the point that other characters and situations are being added just for the purpose of filling the extra unnecessary time needed to extract three movies and the added revenue that will bring.

• Meldrohaen says:

I'm with you. I loved how they did LOTR because, however they altered it, they kept the spirit of it intact. This time round feels like an attempt to revisit the epicness of the first trilogy but with even flashier special effects. —At least in comparison to that elegant simplicity Tolkien captured in the book.

7. That looked like a large warg, not Beorn to me.

8. Alicia says:

I read The Hobbit right before going to see it in theaters, the movie is almost straight from the book, aside from the parts that aren’t. So they are keeping true to The Hobbit while adding in more story from other books which fits into the timeline of The Hobbit. I like it. It’s a nice way for people who have not read the other books to know what else is going on in that time period. Though I am afraid of Legolas being too prominent I’m still looking forward to the Mirkwood parts. And I thought they carried over the light heartedness from the book to the movie well. The Hobbit isn’t being butchered, i’s being expanded with more of Tolkien’s work. And that will, I think, make it more interesting to see. Because it won’t be exactly the same as the book.

9. Bernie says:

The 'Armani elf' is back

10. vinebranch says:

This looks interesting. I wish the 3D wasn't such a big thing because it tends to cause some nausea for me. But, I will endeavor to check out the new one despite it.

One thing I particularly liked in the first one was the "Lonely Mountain" song version sung by the "Dwarves". In the regular DVD release of The Hobbit/unexpected journey, the song is horribly cut short. Yes, there is a professional version of the song at the end. Still and all, the Dwarf version with the tight harmonies was best, and more appropriate to the storyline. Perhaps it is something we women like, as my niece and some of my female friends thought it to be one of the highlights of the first movie. I would agree. In fact, I only purchased the DVD for the song. Otherwise, I would wait until the trilogy is completed and purchase a set. Mr. Jackson…restore the complete original dwarf song in the first film, please.