Hulk rumors: Mark Ruffalo says no standalone Hulk film — for now

March 08, 2013 | 8:04 a.m.

Mark Ruffalo plays Bruce Banner in a scene from "The Avengers." (Zade Rosenthal / Marvel)

"The Incredible Hulk" #1, the 1963 comic by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby that began the franchise. (Jack Kirby / Marvel Comics)

The latest comic incarnation of "The Incredible Hulk" hits stores this May. (Marvel Comics)

Bill Bixby played David Banner in the TV series "The Incredible Hulk," which ran from 1978-1982, as well is in several TV movies. Here, he reprises the role in the 1990 TV movie, "The Death of the Incredible Hulk." (NBC)

Lou Ferrigno plays the other side of Bixby's character in "The Incredible Hulk" TV series. He has also voiced the Hulk in the more recent Marvel movies, including "The Avengers." (USHV)

Edward Norton portrays Bruce Banner in the 2008 movie "The Incredible Hulk." (Michael Gibson / Universal Studios)

Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo), left, and Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) in "The Avengers." (Zade Rosenthal / Marvel)

Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) and Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) in a scene from "The Avengers." (Marvel)

Director Joss Whedon, Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr. on the set of "The Avengers." (Zade Rosenthal / Marvel)

Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo), and Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) in "The Avengers." (Marvel)

Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), left, Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Captain America (Chris Evans), Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner), Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) and Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) in a scene from "The Avengers." (Marvel)

Mark Ruffalo, right, and his wife Sunrise Coigney at the Hollywood premiere of "The Avengers" on April 11. (Kevin Winter / Getty Images)

Mark Ruffalo has been addressing rumors — and the clamoring of Hulk fans — about the possibility of a standalone movie featuring the Hulk. Not now, he says.

Ruffalo went the Twitter route to dispel rumors that he would be the focus of a new film. He sent a series of tweets Thursday. First, he said: “A lot of folks have been asking about the Next Hulk. The next time you see my Hulk it will be in the Avengers2. No plans for stand alone.”  He followed that with: “I am not giving up on another stand alone HULK. But it’s not in the works right now. One never knows what the future will bring.”

He clarified that even further a bit later — notice the time on this, 1:37 a.m. Friday.  This is the kind of thing that keeps an actor up at night.

Hero Complex spoke to Ruffalo last May after his Hulk bow in “The Avengers,” which made a huge splash with critics and fans. The reaction was something of a surprise considering many fans of the franchise were irate when it was announced that Ruffalo was next in line to play the big green guy.

“There was a lot of negative response to me playing that part early on, and I kind of liked that challenge,” Ruffalo told Hero Complex.

PHOTOS: The Hulk at 50: We love him when he’s angry

Los Angeles Times reviewer Kenneth Turan called Ruffalo ”the latest in a long line of Hulk portrayers, and perhaps the best.”

Now Hulk fans want more, but it looks like they’re just going to have to wait.

– Amy Hubbard

@AmyTheHub

ALSO:

Check it: The new “Iron Man” poster

James Bond jilted: Sam Mendes says ‘no’ to follow-up

MTV Movie Awards: ‘Avengers,’ ‘Dark Knight Rises’ top noms

Comments

13 Responses to Hulk rumors: Mark Ruffalo says no standalone Hulk film — for now

1. Gilberto Edwards says:

Marvel just know said he won’t be cast in the Incredible Hulk movie or TV series.

• Marc Fordahl says:

I wish I could be givin the chance to play one these characters that keep getting played by different people I’ve never acted in my life I’m 43 yrs old but I love pretending to be one those characters with my son now I would learn to own that character I’ve watched each and every character my whole life.

2. Gilberto Edwards says:

I belive mark ruffalo needs to be replace for Edward Norton because ruffalo doesn’t look anything like the character of Bruce Banner.

3. Gilberto Edwards says:

I believe they need another Dr.Bruce Banner to change it into standalone Hulk TV series or Hulk movie.

4. Gilberto Edwards says:

They to get rid of the Hulk movie and turn it into the Hulk TV series that will air either this year or 2014.

5. Gilberto Edwards says:

IMDb said that The Incredible Hulk TV series will air sometime in 2014.

6. Gilberto Edwards says:

If Mark Ruffalo doesn’t play in The Incredible Hulk 2 then it’s worth the watch.

7. Gilberto Edwards says:

Ones the Hulk TV series airs next year in 2014 then it will hurt the Avengers 2.

8. Gilberto Edwards says:

No more Mark Ruffalo after a six year contract the Avengers 1,2,3,4,5.

9. Gilberto Edwards says:

New Hulk TV series said they will not have same actor for Bruce Banner it will be a different actor than Mark Ruffalo it will be better than having the third actor.

10. dmcd72 says:

dont get me wrong im a huge norton fan but ruffalo did a great job with the hulk and i look forward to see him do it again.

11. Rod says:

i would hope the marvel folks while pondering another standalone hulk movie for the future they would consider a HULK 2099 idea. that in my opinion besides its original conception by Stan Lee was the absolute coolest HULK manifestation yet.

12. Rocio says:

I think Mark Ruffalo is the best Hulk ever seen and I’d love to see a standalone Hulk movie with him…Of course we’re definitely waiting for his appearence on “The Avengers 2″ !!!