‘Hunger Games': New Super Bowl trailer teases tear-filled moments

Feb. 03, 2012 | 5:03 p.m.
onfire Hunger Games: New Super Bowl trailer teases tear filled moments

Jennifer Lawrence, left, as Katniss Everdeen and Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark talk with Lenny Kravitz, right, who plays Cinna in "The Hunger Games." (Murray Close / Lionsgate)

Fans of “The Hunger Games” are getting a closer look at the characters brought to life in the film’s second trailer, which will air during the Super Bowl this Sunday.

“The Hunger Games,” based on the bestselling children’s book series by Suzanne Collins, is set in a post-apocalyptic nation called Panem. Two children from each of the nation’s 12 districts are plucked to compete in a cruel, televised fight to the death — as punishment for rebellion 75 years prior, and for the amusement of the wealthy Capitol residents. Jennifer Lawrence plays the film’s heroine, Katniss Everdeen, a teenager who volunteers to compete in her sister’s place. The film will be released in IMAX theaters March 23, Lionsgate announced Thursday.

The new trailer reveals more of the reaping (the ceremony in which tributes are selected), a teary embrace between Katniss and her maybe-more-than-best-friend Gale Hawthorne (Liam Hemsworth) and an emotional moment with her younger sister Primrose (newcomer Willow Shields) in which Katniss gives little sis the iconic mockingjay pin — a departure from the pin’s origin in the novel.

Fans also get to see more of Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark, Katniss’ fellow District 12 tribute; Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket; Stanley Tucci as emcee Caesar Flickerman; and Lenny Kravitz as Katniss’ costume designer and ally Cinna.

The film also stars Woody Harrelson as Haymitch Abernathy, Wes Bentley as Seneca Crane, young “Columbiana” actress Amandla Stenberg as fellow tribute Rue and Donald Sutherland as the villainous President Snow.

Check out the trailer in the video above and tell us what you think in the comments.

– Noelene Clark

teaser poster Hunger Games: New Super Bowl trailer teases tear filled moments‘Hunger Games’: Woody Harrelson talks Haymitch

Gary Ross on hunting the job, Jennifer Lawrence

‘Hunger Games’: See Katniss, Rue and more

‘Hunger Games’ trailer: A glimpse of Panem

‘The Simpsons’ and Neil Gaiman heist ‘Hunger Games’

Collins: Jennifer Lawrence is ‘beautiful’

‘Hunger Games’: How Gary Ross got director’s job

Meet Gale Hawthorne and Peeta Mellark

‘Hunger Games’: New motion poster appears

‘Hunger Games’: Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss

Comments

31 Responses to ‘Hunger Games': New Super Bowl trailer teases tear-filled moments

1. Suua P. says:

I'm so totally anxious and my Mockingjay blood is pumping like crazy. I just cannot wait for March 23rd to come. My money's already on this film. I love The Hunger Games and I love Katniss Everdeen!

2. zeezle says:

I loooooooovvvvvvve the Hunger Games it is such a great book and i cant wait until the movie comes out…….

3. Taryn says:

This movie is going to be absolutely incredible!!

4. The hunger games. Seems a bit interesting. Can’t wait till it comes out.

5. Rebecca says:

I can see it now. All us Hunger Games fans are just going to be sitting there bawling our eyes out during the whole movie. It's going to be great!

6. kendall says:

this is going to be the best movie ever! i am so excited!

7. Bob says:

Omg is anyone of u people teame peeta I mean gale kinda kills prim in the third book not intechaly though!

SPOILER ALEART!!!!!!!!!!

8. Bob says:

Team peeta all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. TLO says:

The new trailer is adding to my excitement about this movie, and I go into more details at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIONmO7C6o8&li

10. @xxbonnie says:

Well first of all, the Hunger Games is definitely not a children's book. It's in the young adult genre for a reason; the content that it contains is no where near appropriate for children. Anyway, I am very excited for this movie, being a huge fan of these books. They're obviously changing the plot of the Mockingjay pin, but if Suzanne Collins approved of it, I'm okay with that. I'm sure the movie will be fantastic, especially with all of the trailers and stills we've been giving. Kudos, Lionsgate!

11. Ary says:

Oh my gosh!!!!!! I can’t wait for the movie!!!!!! the trailer is AMAZING!!!!!!!! I can not even imagine what the whole thing is going to be like!!!!!!!!!!

12. Eleo says:

to anyone that hasn't read the book: READ IT. NOW. RIGHT NOW. Don't wait till the movie comes out, because it most likely won't do the book justice and you'll lose interest in it.

13. Girl on Fire says:

Yes, Rebecca, yes we are. You know why? Because ever since we have read the book, ever since we picked it up, we have been in love with Katniss and Primrose Everdeen, Gale Hawthorne, Peeta Mellark, Clove, Cato, Foxface, Rue, and Thresh. We have been so engrossed in this world that Suzanne Collins has made for us, that we want to see what it has developed into. We have stuck with Katniss since the Reaping, and will stick with her until the Capitol has Burned! Because if we burn, THEY BURN WITH US!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Abigail says:

The movie is going to be three words AH-MAZE-ING! The books are my favorite series, and from these two trailers tht ate out I can tell that the movie is going to be good and stay true to the book. I hope

Team Peta!

15. Abigail says:

*peeta

16. Tiff says:

OH MY GOSHHHHHHhH!!!!!!!! I'm dying!! I get shivers watching the trailer, all the scenes are exactly how I pictured it in the novel! I can't wait.

17. Julia says:

I thought it is very good…… the thought of waiting is over the top.

18. Yvonne says:

I'm 46 years old and I have become addicted to the Hungar Games series. I love them and I love the heroine, Kathniss. It's better than most of the adult books I've read. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I cannot wait for the movie. It's going to be great, especially in iMax.

19. surfer girl says:

is anyone team gale, I am not but, is anyone? i mean seriously!

20. LALALALALALALAL says:

I am team gale *SPOILER ALERT because he gets hijacked by the capitol and doesn't love Katniss anymore and i am like crying my eyes out! BUT BEFORE I WAS TEAM PEETA!

21. kimberly says:

OMG! why is everyone saying team peeta or team gale ? you CAN'T do that ! this isn't like twilight ! she ends up with peeta anyways.. so yea i don't agree with the whole team peeta and team gale.. but if i had to chose i would chose team peeta <3 CAN"T WAIT! i read these books when i was in 5th grade and they're finally making a movie !! whoa!!!

• Andrea says:

I agree about the whole "Team" business. How about nobody chooses "teams"! As a huge fan of The Hunger Games, it really bothers me when people are all "Team Peeta!" or "Team Gale". That is soooo not the main focus of the books!

22. HungerGamesFan says:

Please noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Don't turn this into Twilight you evil little fangirls and fanboys, otherwise I'll have to hunt each and everyone of you down and throw you all into a jail cell hidden in the middle of nowhere, until the entire trilogy has gone through theaters and come out on DVD/Blu Ray. Please people don't encourge this BS, it was a huge Twilight turn off for people. Let's not do that to this trilogy.

23. hungergames101 says:

i can't wait till the movie is out its gonna be really good!

24. Polly says:

Do NOT turn the Hunger Games into a "Team Peeta vs. Team Gale" war. Twilght was compleatly ruined because of it. I honestly don't think the point of the book was meant to be romance anyway.

25. zeezle says:

I love the hunger games_

26. mockingjay says:

best series ever hated when prim died ToT