Wait, ‘Inception’ stole everything from Scrooge McDuck?

Aug. 03, 2010 | 8:57 p.m.
Inception and Scrooge McDuck

Is it fowl play? “Inception” is being hailed as a rare burst of true originality in contemporary Hollywood moviemaking but, as the above panel makes painfully clear, Christopher Nolan will soon be dealing with accusations that his complex dream-world heist film is really just a live-action adaption of a Scrooge McDuck comic-book story from 2004 titled “The Dream of a Lifetime.” Kudos to Videogum for uncovering this scandal. What, you think we’re blowing this out of proportion? Hey, listen, if it walks like a duck…

– Geoff Boucher

Christopher Nolan Inception premiere Alberto E Rodriguez Getty Images

Christopher Nolan’s dim view of 3-D

‘Inception’ questions? Here’s the most in-depth article on the film

REVIEW: ‘Inception’ dreams darkly with film noir soul

Brad Pitt and Will Smith were early candidates to star in ‘Inception’

MINISTRY OF GOSSIP: The ‘Inception’ premiere in Hollywood

Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Ellen Page dream big

Ken Watanabe wins over Nolan: ‘He’s such a movie star’

‘Inception,’ the only movie that matters?

ARTWORK: Boom! Studios/Disney

Comments

17 Responses to Wait, ‘Inception’ stole everything from Scrooge McDuck?

1. Ryan says:

Scandal? A politician getting caught red handed with a tranny is a scandal. This? Not so much. The concept of shared dreaming is nothing new in the first place. Maybe Nolan did snag the heist idea from a cartoon. Maybe he didn't. Does any of that change the fact that he wrote one of the most interesting screenplays to come along in quite some time. Nope, not in the least. Now if you find out that Scrooge McDuck was Nolan's ghostwriter this whole time, please feel free to ring the scandal bell all you want. Until then, please get your hand off the buzzer. Your giving me a headache.

2. DaNileInEgypte says:

Nolan has a lot of fans, so you can expect plenty of defense like Ryan's, who was probably running around a few weeks ago screaming about how original and "oh man only Nolan could come up with such genius!" and other oozing love declarations about "Inception". Ryan will never "give in" to the notion that his beloved Nolan may not be a God among man, that he, too, can make mistakes, and will instead attack the messenger. OH PUH-LEEZE. Just because ol Nolan isn't as original as everyone thought, and he might have lifted more than a little from a comic book and "forgot" to give proper credit, it still doesn't discount that "Inception" is a very inventive movie in many respects. But to flat-out attack any criticism of is just intellectually stunted.

3. Steven Paul Leiva says:

Ryan, really, did you not see Mr. Boucher's tongue in his cheek, and the twinkle in his eye, were you sitting down so the irony flew over your head? As dear old Foghorn Leghorn use to say, “It was a joke, son, a joke!

4. Ryan says:

I love how I'm supposed to be the defensive one here, yet DeNile comes off as the touchy one. I'm sorry did that seem like a love letter to Nolan to you? At what point did I say he was the most original person on earth? Oh that's right I didn't. Learn how to interpret what you read a little more accurately. Your attacking someone you don't know over something they didn't even say. What I did say, was that he put together a engaging screenplay. One that was entertaining enough that I don't really care were the concept originated. You let me when someone in Hollywood actually comes up with a completely original idea and I'll show you that I'm really Superman. Surprise! Oh and Steven. I started with a tranny joke and ended with Mcduck as Nolan's ghostwriter. A J-O-K-E. Do YOU get it? (ok now that was defensive)

5. sophie says:

I agree with Ryan. And it seems to me that there are some on-line readers pouncing on each and every LA Times article and post about Inception with their raging attacks against a film, which whether you like it or not, is not as terrible as some of the other crap out there. People need to get perspective.

6. Ryan says:

Okay so let me start by fixing some typographical errors on my second entry. It should read "an engaging", "where the concept" and "let me know". Now that I've pointed out my own errors, let me take one last immature swing at DeNile. I find it extremely humorous that you would write something like "But to flat-out attack any criticism of is just intellectually stunted." I find this to be quite funny because that is, in fact, exactly what you did to me. So you see, you've managed to only insult yourself, not me. I was merely expressing an opinion, not launching an attack on the writer of the article. The fact that that is how you perceived it, truly speaks volumes on your own intellect. Now that I got that off my chest I think I'll put on my "Nolan Rocks!" cap, shirt and matching undies…

7. Mike says:

Geoff, I'm afraid things are about to get even weirder. Have you seen Oliver Stone's latest trailer for "Money Never Sleeps?" http://j.mp/am25o0

8. Will says:

Inception isn't impossible. It's been done before. All we have to do is put the seed in the person's mind. The trick is to get the person to believe that he came up with the idea. Does this mean someone put this idea in Nolan's head as a comic? Wait, are we in a dream? Then who's the architect? Arghhh!

9. Nicole says:

Thanks Geoff for posting this, it's hilarious!

10. Geoff Boucher says:

Nicole, thanks for reading!!

11. nikola says:

paprika, anyone? i haven't seen Inception but the scene of the city bending in on itself is ripped right out of Satoshi Kan’s Paprika. Not to mention the whole premise, plot and setting. Because i havent seen it jet i cant judge the movie, which i believe will be a good watch, but such blatant theft without giving any credit to Paprika is, well lame is the only word i can think of.

12. Whatever says:

It's disappointing to see you use words like "stole," "scandal" and "accusations" like this Geoff. Is there a layer of sarcasm in your words that I can't detect via text? If not, it's kind of lame considering all of the exclusive access Nolan gave you for Inception. Have fun being blackballed from the set of Batman 3.

13. Geoff Boucher says:

@Whatever
    Take a look at the topic words and you'll notice this is categorized under "Random silliness."

14. Whatever says:

@ Geoff, I did not notice that, and therefore apologize for my overreaction. Keep up the good work Mr. Boucher.

15. Kayla says:

Okay…. really? He's been working on this story for a very long time, but that doesn't mean it's original. There's probably a lot of things with similar plots– breaking into dreams isn't exactly revolutionary, there's a freaking spongebob episode about it. People should really just enjoy the movie and get over it.

16. @whatever
    I need to make my sarcasm a little more evident I think!! I think you can tell from the coverage here of Chris Nolan's career and works that I have nothing but deep respect for his accomplishments and I can't wait to cover his third Batman film as well as the Superman project. Maybe I should send him a note making sure he knows this post is a joke!

17. Random says:

this comic seems to be from 2002 – 2004, nolan has had his inception concept written since 2001