Harrison Ford on an ‘Indy’ sequel, turning down ‘Jurassic Park’

Sept. 16, 2011 | 8:19 a.m.

Harrison Ford and Karen Allen pose for a publicity photo during location shooting in Tunisia for “Raiders of the Lost Ark.” (Lucasfilm)

Harrison Ford would be “delighted” to reprise the role of Indiana Jones, the actor said at a 30th anniversary screening of “Raiders of the Lost Ark.” Ford has played the fedora-wearing, bullwhipping character in four films, the most recurring role of his career.

“Maybe a fifth, but I ain’t going to Mars,” he joked during the Q&A portion of the screening, hosted by Hero Complex’s Geoff Boucher at L.A. Live Monday evening.

“Ark” director Steven Spielberg said earlier that he and George Lucas have discussed a possible fifth installment in the series. Should a script be written, Ford said, he’d be on board.

“It’s an absolute delight to revisit this character,” Ford said, “and a chance to work with Steven again, who only hires me for ‘Indiana Jones.’”

“I gotta correct this,” Spielberg chimed in. “Do you know who I offered ‘Jurassic Park’ to? This guy. Alan Grant I first offered to this guy.”

Ford shrugged and smiled.

“That was a lot like going to Mars,” he said.

Watch the video above to hear how Ford developed the character of “Indiana Jones” from film to film, how he landed the role in the first place and about Spielberg’s T-rex painting. Also, check out the first two installments of the Q&A here and here.

– Noelene Clark

Damon Lindelof’s love letter to ‘Raiders’

Video: Steven Spielberg on Indiana Jones’ future

Video: Ford talks ‘Raiders’ swordsman scene

Fedora flashback: A look back at Indy-mania

Spielberg at 33: ‘I’ll always be the worker bee’

‘Raiders’ exhibit whips up Hollywood and history

Spielberg: ‘Raiders’ does not seem like 30 years ago

Spielberg: ‘Tintin’ made me more like a painter

‘Raiders’ stuntman looks back, 30 years later

Joe Johnston: ‘What would Indiana Jones do?’

Spielberg brings Hall H surprise: Peter Jackson

Comments

15 Responses to Harrison Ford on an ‘Indy’ sequel, turning down ‘Jurassic Park’

1. Tomohawk says:

Loved the original Indiana Jones movie. But Harrison the Ford is not the young, high octane action hero he once was. I think there should be a moratorium on the elderly still trying to play their younger selves/characters.

2. David J Foriter says:

If he'd had left the franchise alone after the third movie, things would have been great. Unfortunately, the fourth film left a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of viewers. They need to do another one in the vein of the first and third, then call it quits. End on a good note, not some hogwash about aliens and space ships, which is likely what he's referring to with the Mars comment.If he'd had left the franchise alone after the third movie, things would have been great. Unfortunately, the fourth film left a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of viewers. They need to do another one in the vein of the first and third, then call it quits. End on a good note, not some hogwash about aliens and space ships, which is likely what he's referring to with the Mars comment.

Cheers,
    Dave
    ActionAdventureFantasy.com
    BTW, you have 'he joked' twice in the second paragraph.

3. Friendly says:

Keep making Indianas! Harrison is the best!!

4. Peter Anderson says:

I agree with David on this. The first and third were outstanding films while the second and fourth were truly forgettable. Maybe just like the Star Trek movies where only the even numbers are good, maybe with Indie movies it is the odd numbers! we do need a fifth movie to finish the franchise with Harrison and then bring on a new actor, suggestions? Russel Crowe? Or who else.

5. Scotty says:

Crystal Skull was not that bad! Quit being haters like you could do any better! It was fun! Indy will always be a hero no matter how old he gets! By the way – how come you can believe there were ghosts in Raiders, 900 year old Knights in the last Crusade but you can't buy aliens? What the hell?

• Brian of Nazareth says:

"like you could do any better"

I am so sick to death of hearing this kind of comment. That's like me buying a used car that turns out to be a lemon and you criticizing my complaints just because I couldn't "build a better car".

6. Peter M. says:

Harrison Ford is the only person who can play Indiana Jones. If they ever were to cast anyone other then Harrison Ford in the leading role of an Indiana Jones movie, it'd be the DUMBEST thing and NO ONE other then the fail kids who never saw the originals would go see. The latest Indiana Jones movie, the Crystal Skull, is a good movie, but a bad Indiana Jones movie. However, if that movie shows us anything, it's that Harrison Ford has hardly aged at all. There are scenes in that movie that he looks 100% the same as he did in the originals. I personally think they need to go closer to the root material, which sadly will never happen. At this point I think George Lucas has spent so much freaking time pumping brain cells into Star Wars, that he probably spent the past 20 some odd years thinking of how he wanted to put aliens in Indiana Jones to. Then he had his chance with the Crystal Skull. Let us just pray he decides for the next Indiana Jones to not use visual animation and other worldly beings, and stick to the traditional special effects and plot types that made Indiana Jones so great in the originals.

7. rcj112 says:

Agree with the non haters. Ford is the only Indy. Shre his son can move up in the ranks, but as long as there is make up and trick photography Ford can pull it off til he needs a walker.

8. robbrown123 says:

Sure, do another Indy, but it should be a prequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark. Just CG him to look 30 years old. C'mon Spielberg, you pulled off realistic CG dinosaurs 18 years ago, I think now, with 2011 technology, you could make a 30 year old Harrison Ford that is convincing and non-creepy. They did ok in Tron with making a young Jeff Bridges, it only looked creepy and weird in some scenes but in others it was good. But you've got the money to do this one right.

And to all of you who say "Noooooooo! No computerized young Indy! Evil! Creepy!", well…..I say you have no sense of adventure. If Indiana Jones was a movie director, he'd do it.

9. Jack says:

I can't wait until Mut comes back. He was sooooo good in the last one.

10. shockedandamazed says:

Harrison Ford turned down Jurassic park.

WOW

11. Cy5 says:

I'm a big Harrison Ford fan and only he can play Indy. But I was talking with my wife about who play the Indy character. I thought hard and Bradley Cooper would be perfect reboot Indy.

12. Mark Arkinson says:

I think people would go nuts to see "Short Round" return as a kung fu fighting adult; have him unexpectantly jump into the story and assist Dr. Jones once more.