‘John Carter': Mondo’s cosmic poster for IMAX midnight shows

Feb. 21, 2012 | 1:09 p.m.

EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK

johncarterimax ref for printer John Carter: Mondos cosmic poster for IMAX midnight shows

"John Carter" commemorative poster by J.C. Richard. (Mondo)

There are few special-effects films that arrive at theaters with more history than “John Carter” — the title character, after all, is celebrating his 100th anniversary this year —  and by all appearances director Andrew Stanton and Disney underlined the word “epic” when they approached this ambitious (and expensive) project.

A movie with that much heritage and heft deserves some special fanfare — and that’s just what “John Carter” is getting with this totally cosmic commemorative  Mondo poster by the very talented J.C. Richard. The poster will be given out free to those devoted fans who are so eager to visit Mars that they attend IMAX midnight screenings in the first hours of March 9. The offer is good only while supplies last, and you should check the soon-to-be-posted list on IMAX’s website to see if your nearest IMAX theater is among the select sites participating in the giveaway.

– Geoff Boucher

RECENT AND RELATED:

andrew stanton on wall e John Carter: Mondos cosmic poster for IMAX midnight shows

“John Carter”: Andrew Stanton brings new mojo

“John Carter”: Andrew Stanton’s Martian history

“John Carter” fan: My martian fascination

Moebius: The Hero Complex interview

“Tarzan and His Mate,” the “Avatar” of its era?

Tarzan and the jungles of time

Keanu Reeves looks for heart of “47 Ronin”

“Flash Gordon,” reconsidered

Guillermo del Toro: Frazetta’s pantheon

Harrison Ford: Today’s sci-fi films are soulless

Brad Bird: Hollywood afraid to copy Pixar

Comments

16 Responses to ‘John Carter': Mondo’s cosmic poster for IMAX midnight shows

1. awrenfro says:

Love the poster. I honestly didn't know much about John Carter until I started seeing the trailer.

2. Bilbo says:

Wow pretty amazing stuff. Looks big

3. Ace says:

Poster looks pretty bland to me. It doesn't have enough on it strike as "John Carter". Sci-fi for sure, but nothing hugely 'John Carter' signature. The Jurassic Park poster from Mondo was done right, had the feeling of the film and everything.

4. Michael Goodwin says:

Thank God SOMEBODY is finally doing this! I will see it several times, I'm sure. Love Tarzan, and John Carter needed to be made. For you haters out there, you just don't know about where this movie came from.

Written in 1912, for Christsakes! It is the base of just about every sci-fi/fantasy novel or concept since. Looks like Avatar, you say? Let me enlighten you folks, John Carter was 1st!

• patrick says:

That is exactly how I feel. Mars/Barsoom is a dying planet. the ground is covered in yellow moss. Unfortunately, Deja Thoris is not a warrior or scientist. She is a debutant. Matai Sang doesnt come into the picture until the second book, and he doesnt have a gun or unite the green men. I am getting the same sick feeling that I got from the first Conan movie.

• Glen Maurer says:

The concept is also based in religious matters having to do with a single Bible verse. Mankind is far behind their spiritual schedule. I believe evidence of this can be seen in the plagues and wars.

5. Cecelia says:

My husband read the entire Barsoom Series when he was a child and was in awe when he saw the trailer…This should be EPIC!!!

6. LOVE. IT. By the by has anyone seen that fan made trailer for the film? Absolutely EPIC. I am very much so looking forward to my trip to Barsoom on 3/9/12. If I could snag one of these badboys, I'd say 12:01 @ IMAX would be the when & where.

7. EdW says:

How very un-Disney. Maybe after MT Carney left they finally started listening to Stanton and his people? I've heard AWFUL things about the film … and I've just in the past couple of days started hearing some EXCELLENT things about the film. This one is going to be interesting.

8. JAB says:

Love the novel it is based on. Everything I've seen from this film from the trailers & ad spots looks lke it nailed the novel. Stanton's track record is excellent: "Finding Nemo" was very good, "Wall*E" blew me away. I plan to travel over a 100 miles to see it in IMAX (despite current gas prices). This looks like "Star Wars" long before George Lucas was ever born.

9. Ethan Crowe says:

Who cares about IMAX. There is nothing IMAX adds to this movie, nor any film! It's a passe brand that no one really cares about.

10. Jessica says:

No midnight screenings in London according to the IMAX website. Would have been nice to attend it.

11. JohnA says:

If you want to stick directly with the book, go read the book again and again! I'm looking forward to this and I've already read the books. Whether it's true to them or not, should be awesome!

12. Beryl says:

Poster does not do the movie justice. I saw the premier feb 22. Totally amazing… the characters, the action. Can't wait to see it again on the 9th!

13. I have been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts on this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this website. Reading this info So i’m glad to express that I’ve an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I such a lot definitely will make sure to do not omit this web site and provides it a look regularly.