‘Lone Ranger’: Armie Hammer of ‘Social Network’ poised to wear mask

May 17, 2011 | 3:43 p.m.
Armie Hammer in "Social Network."

Armie Hammer in "The Social Network" (Merrick Morton / Columbia Tristar)

When it came to the Lone Ranger, the classic question was “Who was that masked man?”  — but for some casual moviegoers on Tuesday the query might be “Who is that actor?”

That’s because the news is spreading that Armie Hammer will portray the mysterious hero of the Old West in the new adventure film from Disney and producer Jerry Bruckheimer, a film that will star Johnny Depp as Tonto and have Gore Verbinski in the director’s seat. Disney insiders say the deal is not 100% done but that the contracts are being written. For Hollywood insiders it’s not a shock that Hammer, who turned heads with his dual performance as the Winklevoss twins in “The Social Network,” got the role (after all, the rumors have been well circulated) but for less-immersed film fans the decision might seem like a big head scratcher. You can hear the popcorn nation asking: “Depp will be a sidekick to this guy?”

piratespremiere Lone Ranger: Armie Hammer of Social Network poised to wear mask

See photos from "Pirates" premiere in Cannes

The decision may make more sense on closer inspection. Bruckheimer recently explained it to our Rebecca Keegan this way: “You want somebody who can do the humor and somebody who’s attractive and charismatic, but I think it will be somebody who’s not that well-known. That’s my guess.”

More importantly, the masked man may own the title of the film but, really, Tonto will be the star of this adventure, and his Kemo Sabe will be the straight man. At least that’s what Verbinski told us earlier this year:  “The only version of ‘The Lone Ranger’ I’m interested in doing is ‘Don Quixote’ told from Sancho Panza’s point of view. And hence I was honest early on with Johnny that Tonto is the part. We’re not going to do it [straight]. Everyone knows that story. I don’t want to tell that story.”

– Geoff Boucher

Comments

8 Responses to ‘Lone Ranger’: Armie Hammer of ‘Social Network’ poised to wear mask

1. Moira says:

The long Ranger rides again. High oh silver and away.?WE Love you.

2. Roxanne says:

After being Tonto in "The Lone Ranger" I can't wait for Johnny Depp to tackle the lead character from C. M Eddy, Jr's short story "The Loved Dead" which hopefully will start shooting soon after.

3. Harriet Bee says:

Armie Hammer is a amazingly kick-ass name. It's almost 'Army' Hammer, which could be the name of some kick-ass new mind-blowing secret weapon that the US Army uses. I know he was shot in his cave by some Navy Seals dudes, but what if Bin Laden had been taken out by an Army Hammer? That would have been so awesome. I don't know if you throw the Army Hammer or how it's launched, that's for military strategists to figure out, but damn, I wish they had used it on Bin Laden.

4. Juss says:

". . . Tonto is the part. We’re not going to do it [straight]. Everyone knows that story. I don’t want to tell that story."

Stupid, pretentious jerk. Idiot. Moron. A…hole. and same to Disney and Bruckheimer for underwriting this lame-o idea.

5. The Hook says:

This one could go SO wrong if not handled with the proper care! In this day and age, is there room for the Ranger and Tonto? I sure hope so!

6. danieldokter says:

Arnie Hammer seems like perfect choice, just like the Klinton Spilsbury in the underrated The Legend Of The Lone Ranger. but with Depp as Tonto, i’m afraid this will be titled Tonto And The Lone Ranger :)

7. Mark Shephard says:

I've always been a Lone Ranger fan. recently I met Nooreen Nash. She claims to be the only woman to ever Kiss the Lone Ranger on screen. I haven't found that scene yet. Now I would like to see the producers put some romance into this film. Nash played a Villianness in the movie. I tell you she is a looker. She still looks good today. Maybe they should contact her to help promote the movie.

8. ismat rishani says:

the lone ranger was my champion !