‘Man of Steel’: New trailer shows plenty of Superman action

Dec. 11, 2012 | 11:08 a.m.

Zack Snyder’s “Man of Steel” is set to take flight June 14, and a new trailer released Tuesday offers some tantalizing hints about the anticipated superhero epic — epic being the operative word, judging from the scale of the images in the clip and its grand musical score.

In terms of visuals, Snyder seems to be painting with a beautiful, muted steel brush as he tells Kal-El’s story, the striking yet subdued hues possibly speaking to the elegant influence of producer Christopher Nolan.

We see young Clark Kent saving a school bus, revealing his extraordinary abilities, and his adopted father (played by Kevin Costner) cautioning him to be more secretive. But we also see Henry Cavill’s adult hero soaring into the sky — not with the same gentle lift employed when Christopher Reeve wore the iconic red cape but with a rocket-ship zip.

Also glimpsed are Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Michael Shannon as General Zod and Russell Crowe as Jor-El.

Snyder said last month that “Man of Steel” took the Superman mythology quite seriously, a point echoed in the new trailer.

“He’s this amazing ambassador for all superheroes,” Snyder said. “What was it about him that cracked the code that made pop culture embrace this other mythology? What we’ve made as a film not only examines that but is also an amazing adventure story. It’s been an honor to work on. As a comic book fan, Superman is like the Rosetta stone of all superheroes. I wanted to be sure the movie treated it respectfully.”

“My father believed that if the world found out who I really was, they’d reject me. He was convinced that the world wasn’t ready. What do you think?” Cavill asks in voice-over on the new clip.

What do you think? Is the world ready for Snyder’s take on Superman? Leave your comments below.

– Patrick Kevin Day

Follow us on Twitter: @LATHeroComplex

Superman still ‘jewel in the DC crown’

‘Man of Steel’: The Superman we ‘need and deserve’?

Snyder: ‘There have been no other Superman films’

‘Man of Steel’ poster shows Superman in cuffs

Snyder says Superman film has ‘date with destiny’

‘Man of Steel’: Cavill and speeding bullets

Snyder: Superman is a tough one to crack

Henry Cavill, raised to fly?

Henry Cavill: ‘Red Son’ was ’essential’ for me

‘Superman’ photos: The stars of Metropolis

Comments

33 Responses to ‘Man of Steel’: New trailer shows plenty of Superman action

1. David says:

How can superman be clean shaven, what can cut his beard?

• Jeremy says:

His finger nails?

• Andreas says:

In the comics he uses a piece of metal from his Kryptonian ship to reflect his heat vision back onto his face for a smooth, close, comfortable shave.

• Jon says:

Crystal from the FoS maybe??
      And how does he work out to gain muscle?? What is heavy enough for him to get a good 'burn'??
      Things that make you say, "Hmmmmmmm"…

• John W. says:

How can he fly? How did his cells divide and multiply? How come his suit is impervious to damage? Why ask these inane questions? It's a comic book character. He isn't a real thing. And he certainly isn't a real thing that obeys the laws of physics. Just enjoy the movie.

• jpozzini says:

That is not the way to look at things. In order to enjoy a movie I need plausibility and logic. Fantastical things can happen, but they have to be explained logically. Even Terminator’s use of time travel was explained logically and with science. You can’t just throw something on the screen that doesn’t make sense and write it off as “oh it’s just a movie.” Any film buff knows it doesn’t work like that.

• Tiki Roommate says:

They've shown him to use his heat vision and a mirror—pretty convenient if you think about it—whatever he stares at is burned off, technical incongruities aside.

• erric says:

scrap from his craft , would be sufficient.

2. PerezJayme says:

I can't wait to see this movie, I saw the trailer and I know that Im gonna love this movie

I ♥ Superman ! Kal-El

3. Joey1013 says:

As long as movie is viable to be included with Justice League universe I be very happy. The storyline is serious and takes charactere seriously which is always a plus. All I have to say it be great as long its kept serious and doesn't exclude it from justice league movie. If done right this Superman should start off rest of the DC universe.

4. JorEl says:

Trailer looks good, to make it better replace it with the Williams score.

They make Clark look like Jesus but following Williams is like trying to beat Jesus at growing a beard, could be a mistake.

5. jimmyblueyes says:

Henry Cavill is the new Brad Pitt, the sexiest man alive. On his merits alone, this film will succeed.

• gohomeanddie says:

What merits? He just looks clean cut and All-American. SO WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

• Ripper says:

Have you seen "The Cold Light Of Day"? Henry Cavill can act and that's a plus for his Superman. And being a good looking guy can't hurt.

6. Chris says:

Visually cool trailer, and the actors seem well cast, including Cavill. The operatic trailer score (probably not the movie score) comes off as over-the-top pretentious, and one of the commenters made the point that the John Williams original score was more appropriate for the character. I worry that Snyder's comments about the sacred 'mythology' of Superman — that sounds a lot like what Bryan Singer said in making the last one, which was dull as dirt. Hey, Zack, it's a comic book movie — how about some fun and entertainment amid the reverence?

7. Orson Jordan says:

I hope it's as good as the first Superman movie with Christopher Reeves. This one looks good from the trailer, hope it measures up, but I think it will.

8. Shammy says:

I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!

9. JUNAID SARWAR says:

wow………… finally a proper superman movie it derserves! when i was a kid back in the 1980s watching those old superman made me feel that you can make a better film than it was! Superman you supposed to wear your underwear where it dont show dude. Thank goddness nolan is with a helping hand and dressing superman up like the hero that we need!!!!!!

10. CRM says:

Zack Snyder, come on, this movie is going to kick -ss!

11. Strange Visitor says:

I have tried to be cautious, mature and level headed about this whole new project because Superman is hero of my childhood. The trailer gave me the same rush and wide eyed expression I had the first time I watched Christpher Reeve in flight. I'm pulling for Henry Cavil and every one involved to do well just because I want to be that kid again this summer, and Superman will always be my hero.

• joe says:

I agree 100%. Superman will always be my hero and I want to be that same kid again as well. Well put sir, well put.

12. Vee says:

SO READY AHHHHH.
    FAVORITE SUPERHERO EVER. HES ICONIC AND THE BEST/

13. Doc says:

I am seriously excited about this movie! I have been waiting for a decent Superman movie since the original with Christopher Reeve. I am also really worried, still. I like Nolan. I loved his reboot of Batman. That said (and here is where I am going to get a bunch of "dislikes"), I think it looks very dark and rather existential. I don't want a brooding/troubled Superman. We already have a brooding/troubled Batman. Batman is SUPPOSED to be that way, though. Superman is in the light where Batman is in the dark. Please please please… don't make Superman into another Batman movie, Mr. Nolan.

• Ghostrider says:

I totally understand your sentiment, but I truly believe Zack and Nolan will give us a Real Superman in the sense that there will still be a lot of action just with a lot more depth to him! I am not too worried about Supes being dark, I am more worried about the realism of his infinite strength. I mean I so don't want to see him get beat around like a rag doll or even if he was hit by a missile it like hurts him in anyway because we all know that wont happen haha! Just hoping the story turns out to be awesome and captivates the audience as well! I want to leave the theater wanting more! Thats it!

14. Rene says:

GREAT TRAILER!!!!…I think we all know Superman will always be Christopher Reeve, but Henry is right there, he's going to do well!…Great choice, Snyder won't let us down!!!

• John W. says:

Nice sentiment, but… you mean, Reeve will "always be" Sean Connery will always be Bond? Oops. Superman just like Michael Keaton will always be Batman? Oops again. Or Tobey Macguire will always be Spiderman? And oops again.

I think each of these near-first performers were great for their time, I also think their replacements were even better (like Reeve, none of these fine actors were the first live incarnation of his respective characters). And I'll bet Crayolas to Kryptonite the same will hold for the new Superman.

15. Gary says:

The new 52 in DC comics have done wonders for all of their characters and has provided so much material for potential future movies that its amazing. Superman has suffered so many tragedies in his life that he is allowed to show human emotions. He was nurtured by human parents. He has a fortress full of Kryptonian metals and crystals so finding something sharp enough to shave with should be simple. He can from a world that died and his father dies of a heart attack?! Would you feel alone at times? He is an alien with god like powers! Most people will never fully trust him they will fear him. Jesus was a savior and the Romans crucified him! He knows this and has reasons to brood sometimes. I will watch it twice. Too many grand kids to fit in 2 cars so gotta bring em all. Love Superman!!

16. joe says:

I watched all the Christopher Reeve movies and as much as I loved him in the role they were not very good movies. Just my opinion. Fly so fast that you can turn the world clock backwards? Really? If he could fly that fast than why didn't he do it to stop the missiles in the first place? I know its fantasy but that was an incredibly stupid plot device. Superman deserves to be treated like the bad-ass he is and I can't wait for what looks like a better movie all the way around.

17. Des says:

I just wonder how much is real and how much is a fortress of solitude simulation.