‘Man of Steel’: New trailer shows plenty of Superman action

Dec. 11, 2012 | 11:08 a.m.

Zack Snyder’s “Man of Steel” is set to take flight June 14, and a new trailer released Tuesday offers some tantalizing hints about the anticipated superhero epic — epic being the operative word, judging from the scale of the images in the clip and its grand musical score.

In terms of visuals, Snyder seems to be painting with a beautiful, muted steel brush as he tells Kal-El’s story, the striking yet subdued hues possibly speaking to the elegant influence of producer Christopher Nolan.

We see young Clark Kent saving a school bus, revealing his extraordinary abilities, and his adopted father (played by Kevin Costner) cautioning him to be more secretive. But we also see Henry Cavill’s adult hero soaring into the sky — not with the same gentle lift employed when Christopher Reeve wore the iconic red cape but with a rocket-ship zip.

Also glimpsed are Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Michael Shannon as General Zod and Russell Crowe as Jor-El.

Snyder said last month that “Man of Steel” took the Superman mythology quite seriously, a point echoed in the new trailer.

“He’s this amazing ambassador for all superheroes,” Snyder said. “What was it about him that cracked the code that made pop culture embrace this other mythology? What we’ve made as a film not only examines that but is also an amazing adventure story. It’s been an honor to work on. As a comic book fan, Superman is like the Rosetta stone of all superheroes. I wanted to be sure the movie treated it respectfully.”

“My father believed that if the world found out who I really was, they’d reject me. He was convinced that the world wasn’t ready. What do you think?” Cavill asks in voice-over on the new clip.

What do you think? Is the world ready for Snyder’s take on Superman? Leave your comments below.

— Patrick Kevin Day

Follow us on Twitter: @LATHeroComplex

zack snyder ladder Man of Steel: New trailer shows plenty of Superman actionSuperman still ‘jewel in the DC crown’

‘Man of Steel’: The Superman we ‘need and deserve’?

Snyder: ‘There have been no other Superman films’

‘Man of Steel’ poster shows Superman in cuffs

Snyder says Superman film has ‘date with destiny’

‘Man of Steel’: Cavill and speeding bullets

Snyder: Superman is a tough one to crack

Henry Cavill, raised to fly?

Henry Cavill: ‘Red Son’ was ’essential’ for me

‘Superman’ photos: The stars of Metropolis

Comments

33 Responses to ‘Man of Steel’: New trailer shows plenty of Superman action

1. David says:

How can superman be clean shaven, what can cut his beard?

2. PerezJayme says:

I can't wait to see this movie, I saw the trailer and I know that Im gonna love this movie

I ♥ Superman ! Kal-El

3. Joey1013 says:

As long as movie is viable to be included with Justice League universe I be very happy. The storyline is serious and takes charactere seriously which is always a plus. All I have to say it be great as long its kept serious and doesn't exclude it from justice league movie. If done right this Superman should start off rest of the DC universe.

4. JorEl says:

Trailer looks good, to make it better replace it with the Williams score.

They make Clark look like Jesus but following Williams is like trying to beat Jesus at growing a beard, could be a mistake.

5. jimmyblueyes says:

Henry Cavill is the new Brad Pitt, the sexiest man alive. On his merits alone, this film will succeed.

6. Chris says:

Visually cool trailer, and the actors seem well cast, including Cavill. The operatic trailer score (probably not the movie score) comes off as over-the-top pretentious, and one of the commenters made the point that the John Williams original score was more appropriate for the character. I worry that Snyder's comments about the sacred 'mythology' of Superman — that sounds a lot like what Bryan Singer said in making the last one, which was dull as dirt. Hey, Zack, it's a comic book movie — how about some fun and entertainment amid the reverence?

7. Orson Jordan says:

I hope it's as good as the first Superman movie with Christopher Reeves. This one looks good from the trailer, hope it measures up, but I think it will.

8. Shammy says:

I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!I can't wait!!

9. JUNAID SARWAR says:

wow………… finally a proper superman movie it derserves! when i was a kid back in the 1980s watching those old superman made me feel that you can make a better film than it was! Superman you supposed to wear your underwear where it dont show dude. Thank goddness nolan is with a helping hand and dressing superman up like the hero that we need!!!!!!

10. CRM says:

Zack Snyder, come on, this movie is going to kick -ss!

11. Strange Visitor says:

I have tried to be cautious, mature and level headed about this whole new project because Superman is hero of my childhood. The trailer gave me the same rush and wide eyed expression I had the first time I watched Christpher Reeve in flight. I'm pulling for Henry Cavil and every one involved to do well just because I want to be that kid again this summer, and Superman will always be my hero.

12. Vee says:

SO READY AHHHHH.
    FAVORITE SUPERHERO EVER. HES ICONIC AND THE BEST/

13. Doc says:

I am seriously excited about this movie! I have been waiting for a decent Superman movie since the original with Christopher Reeve. I am also really worried, still. I like Nolan. I loved his reboot of Batman. That said (and here is where I am going to get a bunch of "dislikes"), I think it looks very dark and rather existential. I don't want a brooding/troubled Superman. We already have a brooding/troubled Batman. Batman is SUPPOSED to be that way, though. Superman is in the light where Batman is in the dark. Please please please… don't make Superman into another Batman movie, Mr. Nolan.

14. Rene says:

GREAT TRAILER!!!!…I think we all know Superman will always be Christopher Reeve, but Henry is right there, he's going to do well!…Great choice, Snyder won't let us down!!!

15. Gary says:

The new 52 in DC comics have done wonders for all of their characters and has provided so much material for potential future movies that its amazing. Superman has suffered so many tragedies in his life that he is allowed to show human emotions. He was nurtured by human parents. He has a fortress full of Kryptonian metals and crystals so finding something sharp enough to shave with should be simple. He can from a world that died and his father dies of a heart attack?! Would you feel alone at times? He is an alien with god like powers! Most people will never fully trust him they will fear him. Jesus was a savior and the Romans crucified him! He knows this and has reasons to brood sometimes. I will watch it twice. Too many grand kids to fit in 2 cars so gotta bring em all. Love Superman!!

16. joe says:

I watched all the Christopher Reeve movies and as much as I loved him in the role they were not very good movies. Just my opinion. Fly so fast that you can turn the world clock backwards? Really? If he could fly that fast than why didn't he do it to stop the missiles in the first place? I know its fantasy but that was an incredibly stupid plot device. Superman deserves to be treated like the bad-ass he is and I can't wait for what looks like a better movie all the way around.

17. Des says:

I just wonder how much is real and how much is a fortress of solitude simulation.