Video: ‘Oblivion’ Q&A with Tom Cruise and Joseph Kosinski

April 15, 2013 | 7:00 a.m.
Tom Cruise stars as Jack Harper in "Oblivion." (David James / Universal Pictures)

Tom Cruise stars as Jack Harper in “Oblivion.” (David James / Universal Pictures)

Get those questions ready — tonight the Hero Complex screening series will offer fans an early look at the new film “Oblivion” followed by a unique opportunity to pose queries directly to star Tom Cruise and director Joseph Kosinski (“Tron: Legacy”).

Following screenings of “Oblivion” in 10 cities across the country, Cruise and Kosinski will join Hero Complex contributor Rebecca Keegan at 7 p.m. Pacific time on Monday at New York City’s AMC Loews 34th Street to discuss the movie and respond to fan questions. The film opens in theaters Friday.

The post-screening interview will be simulcast via satellite to IMAX theaters in Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Miami, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego and Virginia Beach, Va. Audiences in all 10 cities as well as online viewers can submit potential questions real time via Twitter by tweeting queries for Cruise and Kosinski at #Oblivion#(city name).

You can watch the discussion stream live below on Hero Complex and at facebook.com/IMAX.

Based on a 2010 graphic novel Kosinski penned with comic book writer Arvid Nelson, “Oblivion” takes place on a future Earth left decimated by an alien invasion. Former Marine Jack Harper (Cruise) is one of a few people left on the planet to mop up after the war.

The movie, written by Karl Gajdusek and Michael deBruyn, also stars Morgan Freeman as a 102-year-old insurgency leader, Melissa Leo as Jack’s authoritarian boss and Olga Kurylenko as a mysterious woman who stirs Jack’s memories.

[Update: If you missed the live Q&A, watch a clip from the event here.]

– Gina McIntyre

Follow us on Twitter: @LATHeroComplex

'Oblivion' poster

‘Oblivion’ and Tom Cruise: A closer look at the Bubble Ship design

‘Oblivion’ free screening: Cruise, Kosinski are guests

Kosinski: The meaning of the ‘Tron’ has changed for me

‘Mission: Impossible’: Brad Bird goes into Cruise control

‘Star Trek,’ ‘Iron Man 3,’ ‘Man of Steel’: Movie trailer bonanza

Comments

16 Responses to Video: ‘Oblivion’ Q&A with Tom Cruise and Joseph Kosinski

1. Rebecca says:

We would like for you to come and visit our wounded warriors at the naval hospital at Portsmouth va

2. Aditya says:

Was awesome

3. Maria says:

I was actually wanting to know if Tom liked Argentina, sorry my question is not about the movie but of his short stay in Buenos Aires :)

4. Pavel says:

Hello from cold ice Russia! ) My question is WHY cyber mind don't make auto pilot on the bubleship?! its so silly. in moment when Tom hear "we don't team" and bubleship stain behind im wait shot in his back! But super computer don't control ship.. Why? Thanks in advance! )

5. Bubby says:

@LATherocomplex Q 4 #myfavactor #tomcruise is that how was the #overall #OBLIVION experience & what made him say yes 2 this role @TomCruise

And I want to meet u once & click that one pic & also have your autographs :) How can that b possible #myfavactor #tomcruise ! Keeping my fingers crossed & hoping & wishing 4 that day 2 come soon !!

Fan4Ever :-) @tomcruise !!

6. Kev says:

Is the QandA late?

7. Kev says:

is the Q&A late or is something up with the site?

8. Griselda says:

I have a very important question for Tom… Would you like have a date with me? I wait for your anwer. ;0)

9. yan hunte says:

will there be any surprise oblivion visit by Mr Tom Cruise
    any where in the US

10. Bakalakadakaaa says:

I absolutely loved the movie. It was the right amount of action, great acting and beautiful scenes. I'm going to take my friends to see it next week.

11. Liikiie says:

Do any one know what’s the poem he read in the movie?

12. Michael Falconer says:

I heard rumours from certain family members that the next IMF feature will be shot in Melbourne Australia with scenes also filmed in Singapore. In this film Ethan Hunt is assigned to rescue hostages from terrorist kidnapped in Asia by Hamsa Al Qaeda. The hostages are journalist and religious aid workers. Things get a bit complicated because Ethan has a history with one of the journalist. That's why he forms a team with no authorisation to rescue her. A lot of hand to hand CQF scenes and stunts in the tropics and cities. Is there any truth in this or just rumours? Just can tell in the wilderness of mirrors.

13. MalW says:

Cruise really knows how to sell a movie, boy, idling on the auto-pilot setting of enthusiastic, (albeit somewhat jaded enthusiasm) he rolls out all the right things one after the other about every possible matter concerning 'Oblivion', not only that but tells everyone that they MUST see it 2, 3 or more times! He gives a master-class on how to talk something up.

His only mis-step in this web interview is proclaiming that he absolutely loves "Rod Sterling" twists ('The Twilight Zone'), when unfortunately, (ahem, cough, cough), the iconic man in question was Serling, not Sterling.

14. Jack53 says:

Excellent visuals and high quality production! No one mentioned the high tech camera, CineAltra f56 by Sony! (No, I don't work for Sony!) The music score was crystal clear and haunting. The two beautiful actresses gave very solid performances. Stunning but not over acted. Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman are the best for a reason. It showed. And Hero Complex didn't over sell my theatre. I printed my pass and got to see the film, instead of wasting my time standing in line and being turned away. Nice.

15. Anita Revah says:

The movie was great. I just returned from seeing it. And yes, Tom was great in it. He was right, there is so much to see, that seeing it a second time is recommended. I really enjoyed seeing the old New York after the war. He does a great job in this movie. Totally recommend.

16. Earl says:

Great flick! What exactly happened to Jack and Victoria inside w Sally – outside of the cloning that took place. ?