Oscars 2013: ‘Hobbit,’ ‘Skyfall’ nab noms, no ‘Dark Knight Rises’

Jan. 10, 2013 | 7:05 a.m.
Surprise visitors arrive at Bilbo Baggins' home in "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey." (Warner Bros.)

Surprise visitors arrive at Bilbo Baggins’ home in “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.” (Warner Bros.)

The 85th Academy Award nominations managed to offer some surprises Thursday morning — industry pundits were buzzing about the omission from the best director competition of Ben Affleck for “Argo” and Kathryn Bigelow for “Zero Dark Thirty” — but fans of fantastic entertainment had reason to cheer.

Unless, of course, you were rooting for an Oscar for “The Dark Knight Rises.”

While “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” “Skyfall” and “Django Unchained” all earned multiple nominations in a variety of categories, the final installment in Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy was not recognized, despite the critical acclaim that met the film when it was released in July.

OSCARS 2013: Full coverage

Happier news greeted Tim Burton today, with the filmmaker’s black-and-white 3D stop-motion love letter to childhood and Universal monster movies, “Frankenweenie,” leading the pack in the animated feature category.

Victor, voiced by Charlie Tahan, and his pet Sparky in a scene from "Frankenweenie." (Disney)

Victor, voiced by Charlie Tahan, and his pet Sparky in a scene from “Frankenweenie.” (Disney)

The movie, a full-length update of a short film Burton made in 1984, will compete against the similarly spooky but sweet “ParaNorman,” Pixar’s Scotland-set warrior princess adventure “Brave,” the video game send-up “Wreck-It Ralph” and Aardman Animations’ “The Pirates! Band of Misfits.” (It’s also worth noting that the race includes three stop-motion movies, suggesting a real passion for the format among the voting members of the movie academy.)

” ‘Frankenweenie’ is a very personal film for me,” Burton said in a statement issued Thursday. “The idea of telling a feature-length version was in the back of my mind for many years. Stop-motion was the perfect medium for this project, and one I’ve always loved for its expressiveness and dimensionality. I’ve worked with so many incredible artists: animators, cast members, set builders and puppet makers, all who have helped bring this film to life one frame at a time. I’m so honored that the Academy has recognized this film as one of its nominees.”

PHOTOS: Top Oscar nominees

On the decidedly less family-friendly front, Quentin Tarantino’s blood-soaked western “Django Unchained” was nominated for best picture, best original screenplay, sound editing, cinematography and supporting actor, with Christoph Waltz recognized for his turn as the bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz. Waltz won in the category for Tarantino’s 2009 film “Inglourious Basterds.”

“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” earned a total of three nominations for its production design, makeup and visual effects. In the latter category, it will compete against “The Avengers,” “Prometheus” and “Snow White and the Huntsman,” as well as Ang Lee’s 3D literary adaptation “Life of Pi.”

Daniel Craig as James Bond in "Skyfall." (Sony)

Daniel Craig as James Bond in “Skyfall.” (Sony)

Sam Mendes’ James Bond film “Skyfall” was nominated in five categories — sound mixing, sound editing, best original song, score and cinematography.

In the costume design category, both of 2012′s fairy tales about the fairest of them all, “Snow White and the Huntsman” and “Mirror Mirror,” were nominated, with Colleen Atwood and Eiko Ishioka recognized for each respective production. Ishioka receives her honor posthumously — the revered costumer passed way from pancreatic cancer in January of last year at the age of 73.

– Gina McIntyre

Follow us on Twitter: @LATHeroComplex

‘The Hobbit’ collected: Complete coverage

‘Avengers’: Whedon’s heroes and humor

‘Frankenweenie’ schooled by Burton’s life

Michael Keaton on a lost scene from ‘Batman’

Michael Keaton on the joys of ‘Beetlejuice’

Tim Burton on his ‘weird mental process’

Elfman knows score: ‘Burton opened every door’

VIDEO: Looking back on Tim Burton’s films

Comments

20 Responses to Oscars 2013: ‘Hobbit,’ ‘Skyfall’ nab noms, no ‘Dark Knight Rises’

1. zack says:

Lame.once again the Acadamy ran by old men has screwed the pooch.by not reconizing what every one in america and the world has.the 2 Top movies of 2012.we the fans spent over 2 billion in tickets and this is how we get repaid? lincoln,django.neither wld compete head 2 head with the avengers or the dark knight rises.and zero dark thirty?it hasnt been released yet nationwide but is considered a best pic for 2012?What utter garbage.well oscars your ratings have continued and Will continue to drop cuz No 1 cares about your Boring and Lame Picks.i thank the day when NEW blood replaces the OLD BLIND ones.

2. zack says:

lincoln was a bloated boring movie.of course bloated old men wld vote for it.

• Guest says:

I'm a skinny 21 year-old man and I enjoyed Lincoln. But I too am pissed off that the Dark Knight Rises didn't get in. >:(

3. drush76 says:

I liked "THE DARK KNIGHT RISES", but a Best Picture nod? Give me a break! I find that just as ridiculous as a Best Picture nod for "SKYFALL" . . . which was the worst of the two, as far as I'm concerned.

• filmmaniac111 says:

I think Skyfall achieved greatness. It was a complete journey. TDKR was good but not as good. Thankfully Skyfall got better acclaim

4. jason says:

Nolan got screwed again

5. Blake says:

I swear this will be one of the most boring year of Oscars, the year most mainstream and talked about films got no nominations; The Dark Knight Rises and Averages pulled a total of over $2 billion dollars the nominees on the list didn’t even come close to this!! I’m sick of the academy not recognising the work of directors that director comic book films. The fact that The Dark Knight got nominations in 2009 and nothing this year it just shows that it was nominated just cause of the tragic death of Heath Ledger!

The Averages and The Dark Knight Rises are the most stimulating films on screens of 2012 and its outrageous that they aren’t recognised! Christopher Nolan as we all know is one of the most accomplished director for the past decade, the success of all his films, insomnia, The Prestige, Inception and the Dark Knight Trilogy it is odd that he haven’t won best director or even nominated this year!

If Skyfall get that much nominations, so should The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers; they are much better films!!

6. zack says:

So, Oscar, one of your films stars an insane bat-vigilante who beats people to a pulp and your plan is to snub this person? Good luck.

7. Yessenia says:

I can't believe the dark knight rises wasn't nominited! I wouldn't have mind if it didn't win or anything, but come on! IT WASN'T EVEN IN THE LIST~! crazy people! I am totally pissed off at it. Some of the nominated films weren't even that good. Definitely not watching the oscars this year.

8. TruthHurts says:

Avengers > The Dark Knight Rises

Dark Knight Rises failed as a comic-book movie (and as a movie). Avengers was an unapologetic comic-book movie. I Can't wait for Nolan to crawl back into that hole he dragged himself out of. He made Batman into an arthritic quitter who is scared of the bad guy, with a super stupid script written by his idiot brother and himself. Rises didn't deserve a nomination.

I can't wait for the reboot, so his stupid idiotic fans can go with him. WORST. FANS. EVER!

REBOOT THE NOLANS!

• pizza says:

how could skyfall and hobbit even get nominations.

• GetReal says:

I am sorry, but you talk so much like a fanboy. The Dark knight rises isn't supposed to be a comic book movie like Avengers. Unlike Avengers, TKDR has a better story, it's more realistic, and it satisfies everyone's hearts. Don't get me wrong, Avengers was one of the best films of the year. Both movies should have gotten SOME nominations. And by the way, Batman was never scared of the bad guy (you probably don't know who he is). Too bad you have never seen the movie. Then you can compare it to Avnengers.

9. The Dark Knight Rises deserved most of the 'Technical' awards at least. I mean Skyfall gets cinematography which is a big award and sound mixing etc…. but TDKR doesnt (????WTH). I hate to bring it up again but I think the shooting scuppered its chances, theres no way the voting members would want to see the film recognized when it was blighted by death.

10. D G says:

What utter nonsense? Dark Knight Rises was in AFI's top 10 films of 2012. All the rest of those got a best Picture nom. But guess what? Dark Knight Rises didn't, and lets count how many pictures were nominated . 9 nomnations. I wonder what that 10th spot was for,

• vishnu peesapati says:

i support you , films like skyfall get many nominations while tdrk doesnt get anything.According to me christopher Nolan is one of the unrecognised geniouses of this cenury

11. alien says:

c’mon please so now life of pi got the visual effects?

12. truthhurts dad says:

Well who so ever this stupid guy who wrote nasty stuff about dark knight rises and nolan please back off you jacka**.

You’ve got any sense of judging a movie.let me tell you,you are the lamest critic I’ve ever known in my life. And hopefully every one is laughing at you because of your idiotic and nonsensical remarks.