Oscars 2013 host Seth MacFarlane: ‘I’m the wrong guy’ for the job

Feb. 20, 2013 | 12:42 p.m.
Seth MacFarlane talks to the media after the Academy Award nominations. (Al Seib / Los Angeles Times)

Seth MacFarlane talks to the media after the announcement of the Academy Awards nominees last month. (Al Seib / Los Angeles Times)

Academy Awards host Seth MacFarlane has a message for the Oscars: Be careful what you wish for ’cause you just might get it.

The raunchy-minded creative genius behind TV’s “Family Guy” and “American Dad” and the summer box office hit “Ted” says the 85th annual Academy Awards on Sunday will be “a very thin-skinned room” for his ribald sense of humor.

“It’s a really bad match,” MacFarlane told CNN. “I’m the wrong guy to do this.”

Oscars 2013: Complete coverage

What do you think? Is MacFarlane a good match for the Oscars? Will the Academy Awards regret turning over the reins to him? Will he push the envelope?

MacFarlane was joking, of course, in his comments to CNN. Or was he?

Let’s not forget MacFarlane’s surprising appearance at the announcement of the Academy Awards nominees last month. (MacFarlane is the only Oscar host to read the nominations since Charlton Heston in 1972.)

Seth MacFarlane: His career in pictures

MacFarlane’s comments were scathing, and included a Hitler joke and the portrayal of screenwriters and directors as lazy. This test run, if you will, for the Oscar show was immediately deemed a flop by Hollywood’s power players. (The rest of us? We were reminding ourselves to DVR the Oscars.)

MacFarlane will be walking a fine line Sunday night.

If he goes easy on the single biggest night in Hollywood, he could be portrayed as a sellout. But if he lets loose on the A-list audience, he runs the risk of offending Hollywood’s elite just as he’s making the leap from TV to film.

Of course, if he can replicate the success of “Ted,” which has an international box-office haul of more than $535 million, he’ll likely always find an open door in Hollywood, somewhere.

MacFarlane’s interview with CNN, however, seemed to underscore his unwillingness to be P.C.

Exhibit A? Calling the media biased, suggesting that those rave reviews for Golden Globe hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were practically written before the duo took the stage.

“I thought they were fantastic,” MacFarlane said. “But they are also beloved by the press …. There are certain people who have a kind of a carte blanche, ‘You’re awesome, we love you no matter what you do.’ That said, they were fantastic. But I wouldn’t know if they weren’t from reading the press.”

–Rene Lynch
@renelynch

ALSO:

Beyonce as Wonder Woman?

‘DJesus Uncrossed’: Most controversial skit in ‘SNL’ history?

Josh Duhamel and Fergie confirm: They’re expecting a ‘Transformer’

Comments

15 Responses to Oscars 2013 host Seth MacFarlane: ‘I’m the wrong guy’ for the job

1. CCW says:

"MacFarlane was was joking, of course"

Was was was was was.

2. Rosebud says:

Wow. Whose incredibly bad idea was this??? Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were fantastic in large part because they have CLASS and a finely tuned intuition for where the line lies, which Mr. McFarland (gag me) doesn't. I'm afraid to watch.

3. victor says:

What is wrong with the Oscar Academy, they almost always pick the wrong person to be host,

4. Sophie says:

I appreciate what he says about Tina Fey & Amy Poehler, who have a certain appeal to the media. I for the life of me can't figure out what.the.big.deal.is. I personally don't find them that funny, and was bored by their schtick at the Golden Globes.

5. ComedianDan says:

Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, and Seth MacFarlane are all comedic geniuses. They did a great job with the GG's, he will do a great job with the Oscars. If you don't like Family Guy then don't watch the show.

6. Denise says:

I am looking forward to Seth hosting the Oscars…reminds me of when Golden Globes let Ricky Gervais host a few years ago. I love me some Oscars,, but don't mind someone irreverently poking the academy folks a bit- its time they lighten up and take themselves less seriously- they aren't curing cancer, its entertainment.

7. Eric says:

Oh, the 'old graying guard' (Baby Boomers) is chattering their dentures(implants)! What the Oscars and the Academy need are a serious infusion/transfusion of new blood who can speak to the Millennials and younger audiences… Otherwise, the 'grand' evening of the award show gets to be a 'snews-fest'. Hence, more and more of the audience wants to tune out. The 'power elite' in 'Hollywood' (Entertainment Industry) needs resources/talents who are continually 'fresh'… Mr. MacFarlane is, at least, an attempt to 'fill-the-bill' with more vibrant energy. Lets hope, that besides the 'hosting', that there is REAL stage entertainment/production! Hey, maybe than can merge the award show with "Dancing with the Stars" or "American Idol?!

8. danny says:

Tina and Amy were a total let down, im in complete agreement. I love them both but everyone gave them an A+ before they hit the stage.

9. rox says:

Seth can complain about Tina and Amy being "beloved by the press" once they give a performance that isn't "fantastic". Maybe he should take a step back and really consider why they have such a broad appeal. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Family Guy as much as the next person, but I found TED to be a bit on the misogynistic side which doesn't exactly bode well for popularity.

10. Lynn says:

This was such a bad idea. Either get Billy Crystal back or do away with the opening dialogue altogether. BAD IDEA. I seriously had to mute it at one point. Just bring on Streisand and remedy my night!!

11. Ron says:

I agree , he was the wrong person to host the awards . I was able to tolerate him up UNTIL his remark regarding how some actors try to discover an in depth the character they are playing ( or as in Seth's comment inside the head of the character ) and then state nobody getting better into Lincoln's head as John Wilkes Booth.

12. Ron says:

I know the difference between an older audience and the younger of today varies but was not amused by MacFarlane's PUN with regards to actors whom try to discover the character of whom they attempt to portray and the remark that nobody could get into the head of Lincoln than that of John Wilkes Booth , even though i'm not an American I do believe many would take offense to such.

13. DADIVA says:

MAC FARLANE WAS AND WILL ALWLAYS BE THE WRONG GUY INDEED!!! HE WAS OFFENSIVE MAKEING BAD COMMENTS ALL NIGHT ESPECIALLY TO WOMEN. THE WHOLE NIGHT! RAUNCHY VERY RAUNCHY YUK! HE SHOULD SICK TO HIS TACKY CARTOONS!

14. Damremont18 says: