‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ filmmakers: This time our movie will make sense

March 31, 2011 | 1:57 p.m.
pirates Pirates of the Caribbean filmmakers: This time our movie will make sense

"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" (Walt Disney Studios)

Some filmmakers promise that their summer movies will have state-of-the-art special effects and big-name stars. The producer and director of the fourth “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie are offering a different vow: They pledge that this edition of the franchise will actually be coherent.

Producer Jerry Bruckheimer admitted this week at CinemaCon — the movie theater owners convention in Las Vegas — that the last voyage of the franchise “was a little difficult to follow,” which is a bit like saying “War and Peace” is a long book.

“I always like clear storytelling,” Bruckheimer said pointedly. Following that course, May 20’s “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” will play more like a stand-alone story and not require that moviegoers bring a plot spreadsheet to the multiplex. If the film is a success, the next “Pirates” installment will also play as a self-contained tale, Bruckheimer said.

Rob Marshall, who was a surprise pick to replace Gore Verbinski as the “Pirates” director (Verbinski left to to direct “Rango” after making the first three films), said he spent “a lot of time” on the script by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio “trying to give the story a sense of clarity.” The new movie follows Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) as he searches for the fountain of youth, accompanied by new love interest Angelica (Penelope Cruz) and the villainous Blackbeard (Ian McShane).

Marshall, best known for directing the Oscar-winning musical “Chicago,” said transitioning from jazz hands to sword fights was not as big a leap as it might appear. “All the action is dance,” Marshall said. In particular, the director said, collaborating with stunt coordinator George Ruge was like teaming up with a choreographer. “I think he felt happy to work with somebody who speaks my language.”

— John Horn

depp Pirates of the Caribbean filmmakers: This time our movie will make sense

Verbinski: Depp won’t be a traditional Tonto

Depp: My favorite comic-book hero is…

“Rango” and Red Dead? Meet the new Old West

Depp: “There’s a crack in my enthusiasm” for “Pirates” 4

All-time best sidekicks? Tonto is No. 4, so who’s No. 1?

Is the “Pirates” franchise sailing into rough waters?

Johnny Depp picks a poison and explains why

Keith Richards talks (like a pirate) about pal Depp

A look back at Tim Burton’s work with Johnny Depp

Comments

9 Responses to ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ filmmakers: This time our movie will make sense

1. mike says:

i hope marshall makes them finally break into song and sing the PotC song from the theme park ride

2. BeOurGuest says:

Thanks goodness Rob Marshall was there to fix the work of those highly-esteemed, Academy Award nominated writers who clearly don't know how to write a movie.

3. Stella says:

Ian McShane as Blackbeard? Perfect. With Depp and McShane, this should be the best "Pirates" movie of the series.

4. charles2lions says:

Rob Marshall spent “a lot of time” on the script “trying to give the story a sense of clarity?” Really?!? Where do I begin with things that don't make sense in the script: a) Why does Sparrow's dad just happen to turn up at the pub where Angelica is forming a crew? b) Why does Angelica disguise herself as Sparrow then drop the disguise? c) Why does Syrena the mermaid grow legs when landlocked? d) If Syrena – like her sister mermaids – feeds on sailors, what is causing her to spare the life of the missionary? e) Why doesn't Blackbeard just use Sparrow's compass to find the fountain and dispense with Sparrow? f) Why does Sparrow abandon Angelica on a deserted island after saving her life with the Fountain? The original Tim Powers book was leagues better in suspense and storytelling. Too bad it will never be made as written until the rights revert back to him from Disney!

5. Mark says:

I agree wit everything charles2lion said…. This was by far THE MOST confusing “Pirates” movie in the entire series…. I barely understood anything about how they were finding/ going to use the fountain of youth. I also didnt understand how Syrena being half in water could kill her… I mean she was fully out of water and was perfectly fine, and when she was in the coffin thing she needed air so I really don’t get how she would be dying… The whole movie was just disappointing… I love the other movies but this one just didn’t seem to fit with them. And even though the whole storyline about Syrena and Phillip was a nice idea (obviously trying to replace kiera and orlandos abscences) it just didn’t go over smoothly, I felt the chemistry but it seemed kind of rushed, it seemed like either they should have devoted much more time to that part, or just scrapped the idea all together. Another thing was that I thought the little boy was going to be more important (maybe jack and angelicas son??) alll in all it had the right pieces, but they didn’t quite fit.

• Marilyn says:

Very well said. I too did not think this film was coherent and the chemistry between the new characters was absent. Only Jack, Gibbs and Barbosa characters stayed true. Gore Verbinski would have directed a more harmonious and believable film, I think.

6. Anthony Vinciguerra says:

This is not a comment but a request. I have thought of creating a comic book ot The Pirates (Curse of the Black Pearl) I have made several pages. It is not in the form of cartoons but of pictures captured from the film.. I will emai these pages for your judgement and if possible allow me to continue to do this now and in the future films. I'm not sure that I am sending this request to the authority but would appreciate any assistance you may render. Thank you.

7. Ted says:

Give me Errol Flynn, but these movies were just silly.