‘Prometheus’: Michael Fassbender on Ridley Scott’s ‘breathtaking’ project

April 08, 2011 | 6:46 p.m.

Michael Fassbender (Lawrence K. Ho / Los Angeles Times)

Michael Fassbender is just three weeks into the filming of Ridley Scott’s Prometheus” but the star says the experience is a dazzling one already.

“I walk on the set and I feel like I’m walking on a spaceship,” Fassbender said. “It’s breathtaking. All the various panels and screens…it’s just dealing with a top-notch art department and carpenters and the riggers and everything that goes into putting that together. It’s just, well, breathtaking, all of it.”

The June 2012 release, which also stars Charlize Theron, was originally conceived as a prequel to Scott’s 1979 classic “Alien” but it veered off in other directions and is now planned as a stand-alone project (or, perhaps, a prequel being disguised to preserve some mystery). Fassbender wasn’t at liberty to say too much about the film but I asked him if the character he’s portrays has been especially elusive. “I feel I’ve got it at my fingertips, it’s there but challenging and, you know, I’m excited. I’ve got a few ideas that I’m running with and I think I’ve got a grasp on it but it’s always something that, organically, is moving on its own course. I’m having a lot of fun with it. There are a lot of interesting quirks and niches to him and I’m having a lot of fun exploring it.”

Even though it’s still in the early days, Fassbender said interacting with Scott has been a career moment for him. “It’s great. He’s just so precise and fun and mischievous and just full of interesting and quirky ideas for the character. They come to you in passing but then he lets you run with it and there’s a lot of freedom there. I’m really just enjoying it and everything in general, the whole crew is so veteran and talented from all departments down, the camera, wardrobe, makeup, props, the works — you’ve got the cream of the crop and it’s an honor just to be allowed to be part of it.”

“Prometheus” will arrive  30 years to the month after Scott’s “Blade Runner” and, shockingly, it will be the director’s first sci-fi film since that 1982 classic starring Harrison Ford, Sean Young and Rutger Hauer. Fassbender, who will be in theaters in a big way this summer in the role of the young Magneto in Fox’s X-Men: First Class,” said “Blade Runner” holds a special place in his heart.

“It’s my favorite movie. I just love that movie. And really I love all the different versions, I just don’t care, I love that world and whatever you want to take from it you can take from it, nothing is fore-set in any way. I love that it’s a very feasible futuristic place, and again that quality that you’re in a thriller but you don’t know it. There’s always something at play and everyone has an agenda but none of it is really openly expressed.”

– Geoff Boucher

Hauer: Give Chris Nolan any ‘Blade Runner’ project

Scott: I came to science fiction by the backdoor

Scott: ‘Blade Runner’ has ‘echoed in special way’

Ridley Scott returns to ‘Alien’?

Scott’s ‘Robin Hood’ is a ‘strong destiny story’

Ridley Scott rolls dice with ‘Monopoly’

‘Alien’ writer Dan O’Bannon remembered

Julie Newmar: Anne Hathaway is purrr-fect

Snyder: Superman is a tough one to crack

Comments

12 Responses to ‘Prometheus’: Michael Fassbender on Ridley Scott’s ‘breathtaking’ project

1. Horace Austin says:

I’m really looking forward to this film. More so than anything being released this year.

2. Simone says:

Michael Fassbender is going to be excellent as the android in this movie! – Fassinating Fassbender

• aquarius74 says:

Does he really play an android ? It's would be kind of ironic, because I always thought Rutger Hauer was perfect for the role of Magneto, and now Fassbender who played Magneto is going to play an android just like Hauer. Funny.

3. gtoya says:

'Blade Runner' is nowhere NEAR what it's been made out to be. So overblown.

4. Paul says:

I agree with Sky, gtoya doesn´t know anything about movies. Blade Runner and Alien are both masterpieces

5. Steven J Ross says:

I am not… just looking forward to this….49 yrs ago When I was a kid My Father was in charge of Irwin Toy. 3 Months before the first ALEN film was released, he flew me to New York for the TOY SHOW and presented me one of the first ever created "ALIEN" repica dolls and said…"This is gonna be big one day soon" !!! And pulled out the JAW. Was he ever right. 4 films later I have been waiting for this puppy since the first time I got to the end of "Ressurection" and it's collector edition in which we first see an "ALIEN BABY BUG" and it was reinforced completely when I first read the script Mr. Spaiths wrote. When I heard Scott was gonna do it I knew right away he would get Gieger On board. Just those 2 names alone means this…When all is said and done I truly believe this film will have overtaken "AVATAR" as the largest grossing film in North American Film History.

6. Steven J Ross says:

{Continued From Above}
    There are a lot of people out there who even wanted to see Sigourney in this somehow and I think we may as yet get that wish, with some time twist moment or something, maybe not, but the point is with these two guys on board ANYTHING is possible. Charleze Theron IMO is one the most talented actresses today, but even better, she is pure eye candy, an absolutely stunning and classy lady, and I am most please she will have a role as well. Summer of 2012 is looking real sweet to me right now…I have had my screen image on my PC set to the space jockey for over 6 months already. LOL…this one truy is going to be one of the GREAT SCI-FI films ever made, and completely cathartic for fans of the original 4 films. If this were COFFEE TALK and I were Linda Richmond right now I'd be saying…"I'm on shpilkas…and I'm all faklempt"
    Go Ridley Go
    Nothin' But Love From Steven in Montreal.

7. Steven J Ross says:

Go Ridley Go
    Nothin' But Love From Steven in Montreal.

8. SadSigh says:

Hm. Blade Runner. Sean Young was so beautiful once…and then she went completely insane.

9. Somebody necessarily help to make critically posts I’d state. That is the very first time I frequented your website page and up to now? I surprised with the analysis you made to make this actual publish amazing. Wonderful activity!