Rutger Hauer: Only Christopher Nolan should make new ‘Blade Runner’ film

April 01, 2011 | 11:36 a.m.
At 67, Dutch actor Rutger Hauer has a whopping nine films due in 2011, including a lead role as a reluctant vigilante in a low-budget ode to exploitation films, “Hobo With a Shotgun,” which is available today on VOD and opens in theaters May 6. But to sci-fi fans, Hauer will always be remembered most as the rebel replicant Roy Batty from Ridley Scott’s classic “Blade Runner.”

Naturally, Hauer has some ideas about the recently announced plans to make “Blade Runner” sequels and/or prequels.

“If Christopher Nolan would be on it I’d say, ‘All right, go for it!'” said Hauer by phone from a hotel room in Amsterdam, where he was filming a Dutch movie about the Heineken family. “But otherwise you can’t do it. ‘Blade Runner’ is such a unique film. How do you describe a diamond? I don’t think you should ever touch it again.”

Hauer’s role in “Hobo With a Shotgun” veers him into earthier  territory, as he plays a bum in a crime-infested city whose only ambition is to buy a lawn-mower he sees in a pawnshop window and start a landscaping business. But with the violence escalating around him, Hauer’s hobo grabs a shotgun instead, uttering the line, “I hate guns” before taking justice into his own hands, Charles Bronson-style.

That line, Hauer said, was his addition to the scene. “I hate guns, I think they’re the worst thing ever invented,” Hauer said. “So that’s where I bleed through the character. It’s really weird that you can do a movie and sometimes it’s very far away from yourself and at the same time it’s so much fun.”

Hauer is riding a wave of renewed interest based on his performance in “Hobo With a Shotgun,” which began as a fan trailer for “Grindhouse” and played to acclaim at the Sundance and South by Southwest film festivals.

After wrapping the Heineken film, Hauer said he’ll turn next to the role of Van Helsing in “Dracula 3D,” which Italian horror master Dario Argento plans to start shooting in Hungary in June. “I hope we can get some real mileage out of the 3-D format and take on the Bram Stoker story and see if we can revive it and make it real,” Hauer said. “They’re looking for a very juicy younger Dracula and all kinds of dressing to make it fun.”

–Rebecca Keegan (twitter.com/@thatrebecca)

christopher nolan hero complex film festival 2010 Rutger Hauer: Only Christopher Nolan should make new Blade Runner film

Nolan: Hollywood takes too many shortcuts

Christopher Nolan “thinks like a magician”

Amy Adams will be Lois Lane

Snyder: “There’s been no other Superman movies”

Snyder: My favorite Superman artist is…

Anne Hathaway will be Catwoman

Julie Newmar: Hathaway is purrr-fect

Synder: Superman is a tough one to crack

Nolan breaks silence on Superman film

Morrison to Hollywood: Make Superman a “brawler”

Comments

16 Responses to Rutger Hauer: Only Christopher Nolan should make new ‘Blade Runner’ film

1. Juliana says:

I LOVE Bladerunner, and connecting the dots between the two – Christopher Nolan and Rutger Hauer is perfect scenario for a remake. film budget

2. Tmiller says:

I don't care about "Blade Runner." Bring on the "Hobo With a Shotgun."

3. JohnInAZ says:

Rutger is just plain nuts. A walking contradiction like most liberals.

4. Chris says:

I agree with Hauer — remaking Blade Runner is ridiculous. Nolan wouldn't go there (Rebecca doesn't mention in her article that Hauer was memorable in a small role in Nolan's Batman Returns as the corporate bad guy) . There is a lot of great untapped SF out there so no need to recycle movies…

5. Stuart says:

What about Ridley Scott? I mean, he did make the first one…not to say that nolan couldn't pull it off, but I would think that scott would be the go to person.

6. Sean says:

I don't know…I hope these rumoured short films loosely based on blade runner by Scott will materialize, hopefully making Prometheus will reignite his interest in sci fi…but should there really be a sequel to Blade Runner? The ambiguity of the ending and uncertainty over the future are crucial in the film…as much as I would love to see an expanded blade runner universe, and though i am sure Nolan would do a pretty good job, maybe it should be left alone…

7. brettghampton says:

There's really no more story that "needs" to be told in the "Blade Runner" universe established by Scott's first film. If a director was to return to that universe, or remake the original, though, Nolan is not the only choice that comes to mind. I wonder how someone like Aronofsky would handle it.

8. A dude says:

Please stop remaking movies, hollywood. please.

9. yojimbo slice says:

I'd like to see a prequel. Where Batty kills the spaceship crew and escapes after fighting wars off planet? Yeah I'd watch that fuckin' movie in a heartbeat. Cillian Murphy as Batty? Yeah.

10. mike says:

read people, "sequels and/or prequels" not re-make.

Though I agree, leave it alone already!

11. The story of Blade Runner movie was based on the science fiction novel – "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? "

12. Daniel Curtin says:

Prequel!! Blade Runner was conclusive to a point and a masterpiece. I could also see a prequel but if they are bringing back Ford, it must be a sequel unless he is recounting a story.

With Fords near death plane crash, he may opt out altogether .