‘Snow White’ vs. ‘Mirror, Mirror’: Which is fairest of them all?

Nov. 16, 2011 | 9:33 a.m.
snowwhites Snow White vs. Mirror, Mirror: Which is fairest of them all?

Lily Collins, left, and Kristen Stewart. (Jonathan Short/Associated Press; Carolyn Cole/Los Angeles Times)

The world feels especially cruel, tense and chaotic these days, so of course people want new-look fairy tales to escape it all. That’s the presumption of Hollywood, at least, which thinks that what you need in a grim era is, well, more Grimm. On television there’s “Once Upon a Time” and “Grimm,” in comics there’s Bill Willingham’s sprawling epic “Fables,” and on the big screen we have “Puss in Boots” cat-walking in the footsteps of “Red Riding Hood,” “Stardust,” “Enchanted,”  “Beastly,” “Hoodwinked,” “The Brothers Grimm” and the hugely successful “Shrek” films. Then there ‘s also the billion-dollar success of Tim Burton’s “Alice in Wonderland” and Disney’s upcoming “Oz: The Great and Powerful,” which aren’t pure fairy tales but certainly qualify as bookshelf cousins that offer a similar otherworldy allure to filmmakers.

Looking ahead, there’s “Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters” with Jeremey Renner and Gemma Arterton in March and Bryan Singer’s “Jack the Giant Killer”  next summer. Talk is percolating, too, of  a “Maleficent” film, but that would be just another entry on the ever-growing list of projects of magic and fable. But the big fairy-tale focus at the moment is on two wildly different versions — and visions — of the story of Snow White. First there’s “Mirror, Mirror,” directed by Tarsem Singh (“Immortals,” “The Cell”), who hopes to conjure up plenty of winking humor with Julia Roberts as the Evil Queen,  Lily Collins as Snow White,  Armie Hammer  as Prince Andrew Alcott , Sean Bean as the King and Nathan Lane as Brighton. The movie from Relativity Media (a Hollywood player now at a crossroads) opens March 16 in the U.S. Here’s the trailer:

There’s an entirely different palette and tone, meanwhile, to “Snow White and the Huntsman,” directed by Rupert Sanders (and produced by Joe Roth, a key force behind Burton’s “Alice”), which gives us Kristin Stewart as Snow White, Chris Hemsworth as the Huntsman, Charlize Theron as the Evil Queen, and Sam Claflin as the prince. The movie, which hits U.S. theaters on the first day of June, also features Ian McShane as Beith, Nick Frost as Nion, Toby Jones as Coll and Ray Winstone as Gort. Here’s a trailer for the Universal Pictures film:

After watching the trailers, what’s your take on these two rival projects (which, by the way, have been jockeying for position for months)? Vote below and let us hear from you in our comment section.

– Geoff Boucher

jennifer lawrence2 Snow White vs. Mirror, Mirror: Which is fairest of them all?

Collins:  ‘Hunger Games’ star is ‘beautiful’

‘Hunger Games’ trailer reveals dark world

‘Hunger Games’: How Gary Ross got director’s job

“Mission 4″: Brad Bird goes into Cruise control

‘Tintin’: Catch up with a globetrotter

Daniel Craig back as 007 in ‘Skyfall’

‘Fast Five’ sequel: Justin Lin looks for finish line

‘The Avengers’: Joss Whedon gets evil on set

‘Iron Man 3′ and Downey start Shane Black era

Comments

54 Responses to ‘Snow White’ vs. ‘Mirror, Mirror’: Which is fairest of them all?

1. Jackie says:

"Mirror, Mirror" does look like fun. Love the cast! I'm also intrigued by "Snow White & the Huntsman," but I'd be much more interested if they'd cast someone else as Snow White. Kristen Stewart is good at playing herself, like in "In the Land of Women," but she's no Snow White, especially not one that leads people into battle. Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth however are excellently cast.

• Lori says:

I agree the cast is great!!! Charlize is going to be great and cant wait to see the movie. One thing though, I do think its going to be great to see Kirsten Stewart playing snow white also.

• depi says:

I agree, all cast is excellent, except the Kristen Stewart. She doesn't have princess aura.

2. brettghampton says:

I just wish we could swap out Kristen Stewart for Lilly Collins in "Snow White and the Huntsman."

3. Asia says:

Totally not happy about Kristen Stewart as "Snow White" :/

4. SWATH says:

SWATH teaser trailer is by far better than the mess that is Mirror Mirror. Atleast in Swath's version you know what type of movie you are getting and what type of audience it is targeting for. Mirror Mirror looks all over the place and the one liner's are cheesy! "SNOW WAY"! Did the 100 million dollar budget go into the costume and set only for Mirror Mirror? I am not impressed and I doubt most kids would even want to sit through this campy debacle.

5. Demetria Visitor says:

Movie studios, Disney in particular, have always been attracted to old fairy tales because such stories are in the public domain and cost producers next to nothing compared to adapting copyrighted source materials.

6. Les says:

She couldn't act in the Twilight movies, doubt this will be any better.

• SG- says:

The only thing that I like about Lily more for this movie is that she actually does have the black hair, other than Kristen looks much much better.
      Just cuz one acted bad in a series of movies doesnt mean much really, acting isnt THAT hard, but sometimes it takes a good director.

7. Torchy says:

Are we really supposed to believe that Charlize Theron would be envious of Kristen Stewart for ANY reason??? I know this is a fairy tale, but sheesh!!

• McFly says:

that was exactly my thought. Charlize is beautiful!

• MiraSorvino says:

that is true… and she wasnt afraid of her beauty, otherwise, she'd kill her a long time ago. it was the youth and the purity that was the threat and ONLY bc the mirror told her so…

8. ChimingIn says:

Here’s why Mirror Mirror will NOT work magic at the box office: one reason, IT WON’T BE FUNNY. You can’t hire a guy like Tarsem to direct a cheeky comedy when comedy is not something this guy does. How do I know this? First and foremost he’s never done a comedy. That by itself is not a gurantee of failure (by any means) but it’s hard enough for a seasoned comedy director to pull off a hit. Second, the trailer (and trailers almost always have the best parts of the film, simply because they want you TO GO) looks just awful. Nothing remotely funny in it. In fact, it’s painful to watch. Like watching milk spoil. I know that sounds harsh, but with the studios making fewer and fewer films it’s frustrating and disheartening to see money and talent wasted like this.

• sally m says:

tarsem makes extravagant but more serious movies. i dont think he'll do well in in a comedy. but i have to admit, ive always loved his costumes and settings (the fall was amazing)

9. Luis says:

I agree with most of you, SW and the Huntsman looks better, except for Kristen Stewart. Swapping Snow Whites, or casting another one would be great.

I mean, really? “Mirror mirror on the wall, who’s the fairest of them all?” -”Not you Charlize, Kristen is.” -”Seriously? Kristen?! Are you frikin kidding ME!!!?”

• Lisa Mauer says:

Yep, I agree. That damn mirror is broken.

• The_Sus says:

Agree – except Snow White's mother said she was beautiful "inside" – can't argue with what you can't see…
        I really hope she can realise the potential she showed in "Panic Room" since the "Twilight" role pigeonholed her – Bella as written is exactly as she played her – bland and one-dimensional – an overt normalcy that was the main attraction to the jaded, world and people-weary vampire Edward.

10. Marilou Pops says:

Mirror Mirror's kind of humor is going to be dated in no time. It will not work for foreign audiences once it gets shown in other countries. What a waste.

11. Dayla says:

I think Mirror Mirror is more something for younger people but i'd watch it first b/c kristen bothers the crap out of me..she's got one face expresion and she's been getting by with it since "Panic Room" and i don't think i could do another movie with her in it..

• Jessie says:

Completely agree. I saw her first in "Speak" and thought she did a great job. But then I saw the rest of her movies and realized she basically just repeats the same performance, and while perfect for Speak, it gets old in the rest. I am very interested in Snow White and the Huntsman, but I really hope Stewart will exceed my expectations, else it will be a drag on the movie.

12. wikus says:

Mirror mirror, I had enough of twilight

13. grace says:

i will definitely watch snow white and the huntsman

14. Angela says:

I do want to see both, but I have to say I've never been impressed with Kristen Stewart's acting and wish she hadn't been cast and would go away for good. I'm sure the rest of the cast will easily carry the movie, though. Charlize's accent if pretty awful though. The Collins girl is also much prettier and looks more like the classic Snow White. Mirror Mirror will probably do better at the BO b/c it's a family movie…just my 2 cents.

15. divia says:

I think Snow White and the Huntsman will be very action, interesting, dark, and awesome but i think mirror mirror will be a comedy.

16. mar says:

Mirror Mirror looks awful. If the trailer is suppose to be the funniest parts of the movie then I'm afraid of what the rest of the movie would be like. Too cheesy.
    It looks like they spent their entire budget on the costumes and getting a high profile actress like Julia Roberts. They should have spent it on a better script and set design.
    I'm not a fan of the Twilight movies but I think they wanted a Snow White who doesn't look too girly. I think they're trying to convey the idea that beauty isn't just outside appearance but an inner beauty too. If that's the case then the casting was just right; since charlize theron is definitely more beautiful than Kristen.

Movie looks great I'm definitely going to see it.

17. Jolisa says:

I should have been Snow White…except I'm black…hahahhaahha!!!!

18. Mimi says:

Give Kristin Stewart a chance. She could surprise you.

• Karen says:

I agree. This may be her chance to grow up and mature as an actress. Sometimes you are bound by the content of the material. Hope this one does't dissappoint.

• bob says:

Shes had like 5 chances in each twilight movie and she failed at each one.

19. darla says:

Why all the bad about Kristen Stewart? Have you seen her in any of her other movies? She will be excellent in this one.

20. bluebird says:

i believe KRISTEN STEWART is the fairest and the best ever SNOW WHITE of them all!!! SWATH will break all box office records! did you see the poll reviews between SWATH and Mirror Mirror!? Universal Pictures is really smart picking the right lead role for SWATH!!!

21. bess says:

Well I AM a big fan or Kristen Stewart!! Yes there is many fans like me around; I think [my opinion] she looks awesome in this movie. I looked forward to each TS movie and am looking forward to this movie, which is a trilogy.

22. Juss says:

I know absolutely nothing of Kristen Stewart, having eschewed the Twilight franchise completely. But whether she can act or not, I like her features better than Lilly Collins'. I recognize that Collins fits more peoples' idea of the sort of "pretty, sweet, princess-next-door" girl that they imagine Snow White being….but for looks, absolutely, I prefer the model type–tall, slim, athletic, with almond eyes and high cheekbones–which doesn't exactly fit Lilly Collins, in my opinion. For a white-skinned, blackhaired Warrior Princess, I would like to have seen someone like Liv Tyler, or "Legend of the Seeker's" Briget Regan, or someone with similar looks, albeit younger, if Snow absolutely must be late-teens, early-20s.

23. carolina says:

Mirror Mirror looks like its going to be a very bad fantasy/comedy movie… cheesy, predictable and poorly written. I would not even rent this one.
    The Snow White and the Huntsman in the other hand looks like its going to be a great dark remake of snow white. Charlize looks beautiful and she always delivers a great performance, specially when challenged . I agreed that Kristen have only one expression for every scene but I think she will be good for the part . I can't way to see this movie.

24. Grace says:

I was excited for Mirror, Mirror, given that I've really liked Tarsem Singh's past works, but that trailer makes it look awful. I have no doubt that the costumes and scenery will be gorgeous, but the dialogue is way too campy and "fun."
    Snow White and the Huntsman, on the other hand, looks much better than I would have expected. I've never seen Kristen Stewart in anything before, but I'm aware of the general consensus. Monotonous inflection, one expression, ew-she-was-in-the-Twilight-movies syndrome. I'm more than willing to give her a chance. Going off of the trailers alone, Snow White and the Huntsman is the movie Singh should have been at the head of.

25. angie says:

Well.. i think tht snow white and the hutsman is going to bring more bucks into the box office, kristen stewart is a very talented actress cuz shes pretty and knows how to play her roles the way shes supposed to but in the other hand lily collins with mirror mirror looks like its going to an epic fail (no offence) but everyone knows how This fairy tale ends and we all know tht theirs gonna be no action whts so ever the seting is very pretty but the acting and the way it was written was horrible my opinion, kristen stewart vs. lily collins i think its going to be intresting who gets more viewers but one thing i can say is tht im gonna go see kristen stewart in june with all my friends lily collins is all eye brows like seriously people, kristen stewart is way talented iv been a fan since the movie speak came out and no one will want to go c lily collins she dosnt bring in big bucks and shes not even known as much as kstew

26. Amy says:

I think i am about to write the only positive comment on the board. I am excited for both of them. I can understand if one of the films attracts you more than the other, but there is no need to slag either off, especially the actors themselves. I am certainly going to see the two. I had decided to see Mirror Mirror regardless of the story line when i found out Sean Bean would star, i have seen every film he has cast from Catherine Cookson's to James Bond. Love him. lol.

27. Dana says:

i think Snow White and the Huntsman will be the best grossing film in the box office i bet it will get more money than Mirror Mirror cuz Mirror Mirror looks cheesy and it looks like something my nieces would watch i have seen Kristen Stewart in some of the movies shes played in like Welcome to the Rileys and Catch that kid etc etc so i vote 4 Snow White and the Huntsman all the way cuz i am a fan of Kristen Stewart and if u got a problem with that cry yourself a river and get over it before i push u off the edge and i am only 14 years old

28. Anna Thompson says:

I think Kristen Stewart has certain roles she can play–usually moody, going-through-some-type-of-trauma characters, like her role in "Speak"–and even though I wish they would have cast Emma Watson as Snow White in "Snow White and the Huntsman" (I feel she would be AMAZING with the long black hair and pale skin, and could embody the whole fragile/courageous character that is this Snow White) I'm going to give Kristen Stewart a chance. And besides, Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth can supply the eye-candy factor :) SWATH looks totally badass!

• Jules says:

Don't worry, Emma Watson is going to Belle in the live-action Beauty and the Beast movie(rumor has it Alexander Skarsgard is being in considered as The Beast)

29. Darrin says:

I don't know why they all have to have slightly British accents. Is that supposed to be more "fantasy" like?
    Julia Roberts seems way, way off playing bitchy that is supposed to be humorous. She just sounds really bitchy, and the dialogue has no bite at all. So The Huntsman is the winner for me. Based on the effects and the casting alone. It looks like an epic, and Kristen's tomboyish looking Snow White looks more believable than Lily Collins'. It is funny that they are both battle friendly Snow Whites though.

30. Faika says:

I am sorry for this, but Mirror Mirror looks disgusting to me. Never really been a fan of Lilly Collins, but I gave a chance in 'Abduction' and tried to watch the trailer, Seriously, I don't think it will do so good, On the other hand, SWATH looks amazing, Kristen Stewert is a great actress although everyone says she's terrible, Um, have you seen her other movies? N in Twilight, Kristen acted like how Bella is. If she didn't then everyone would be complaining about how the directors changed the movie so much and junk. I can't wait to see SWATH and as for MM…no comment,

31. pcucsd says:

I'm glad I watched the trailer for Mirror Mirror to keep me the heck away from it. Julia Roberts is a better supporting actress than lead, and she does not fit the role at all. Her scenes and line-delivers give her a look of disinterest and mailing it in. The dull-witted inside Hollywood Comedy is wretched. What a steaming piece of turd.

32. bluebird says:

KRISTEN STEWART is georgeous!!! so perfect for the role SNOW WHITE!!!

33. bluebird says:

I'm excited to watch SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN! KRISTEN STEWART is very beautiful, and she deserves to be Snow White! I think she's a very good actress! SWATH will break the box office record of the Hunger Games!

34. Bell says:

I watched both movies. I take "by far" Mirror, Mirror.

35. Cailey says:

I watched both of these. They each had very different takes on the Snow White story. Mirror, Mirror was definitely a comedy for kids and families, it was cheesy, but fun. Snow White and the Huntsman was darker and an action movie. Kristen Stewart's acting wasn't as bad as I expected and she really is pretty. Charlize Theron was great and so was Chris Hemsworth. The effects were impressive, and it was a good movie.
    However, I was not happy with the ending. It felt incomplete, making you wonder if they are planning a sequel just to settle the question of who Snow White ends up with. Despite the success of Snow White and the Huntsman, I believe a sequel would be a mistake, it seems to be leading down the path of drawn out love triangle, something that strays too far from the classic story.

36. MiraSorvino says:

I think both movies are SO great in such different ways. And the cast has been chosen perfectly. Costumes are superb. And Kristen WAS a great match for that particular role, i.e. Joan de Arc type of Snow White. Her role required an actress with that kind of face which shows little expression. Lily's character was more upbeat, cute and mischievious, which she accomplished also well. Of course to some degree they will be predictable since they are based on a classic. However, each of the films have its own unique twists. Mirror, mirror is not a full blown comedy where u hold on to your stomach. Nevertheless, it has a nice light humor that I found refreshing rather than cheesy. I have enjoyed both movies tremendously!!