Nov. 16, 2010 | 8:42 a.m.
andrew garfield spider man marvel sony1 Spider Man star Andrew Garfield: Who cast this English fool? ... Tobey Maguire is genius

Andrew Garfield. (Sony)

In a few weeks, British-bred actor Andrew Garfield will suit up to play Spider-Man, when production begins on the much-debated reboot of Sony’s mega-popular franchise. And Garfield, who was cast in the film in July, said he’s already feeling the heat to live up to the expectations set by the global fanbase.

“This is a beloved character and, you know, ironically, I’m gonna be the person in the audience going … ‘Who cast this English fool?'” he joked last week at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, although he added a few salty words for emphasis. He was sitting with peers Jesse Eisenberg and Carey Mulligan on a Young Hollywood panel hosted by the Los Angeles Times and AFI Fest.

Garfield, who was born in L.A. but raised in Britain, said he views the “Spider-Man” story like one of William Shakespeare’s plays, with new actors continually given the opportunity to play the same characters year after year.  The 27-year-old also seems to be channeling some of Peter Parker’s self-esteem issues, even if only for comedy.

“That is something that I tell myself every night before I go to sleep: ‘It’s OK. It’s OK. Even though Tobey Maguire is genius, you are OK,'” the self-deprecating actor said. “I think that it’s just another step in the legacy. And then after I do it and mess it up, someone else will come and save the day and do a fantastic job and I’ll be old and fat and bearded and smoking and upset that he’s so good.”

You can watch more video from the Young Hollywood panel at 24 Frames, our must-read sister blog.

– Amy Kaufman

RECENT AND RELATED:

kraven Spider Man star Andrew Garfield: Who cast this English fool? ... Tobey Maguire is geniusIs Kraven the next Spidey film villain?

Sam Raimi’s regrets: “I would have done everything differently”

Bono: Spidey musical is a career highlight

VIDEO: U2 debuts “Spider-Man” song

Should “Spider-Man” film franchise stop at three?

British heartthrob snares lead in Spidey film

“500 Days” director Webb swings with Spidey

Comments

12 Responses to ‘Spider-Man’ star Andrew Garfield: ‘Who cast this English fool? … Tobey Maguire is genius’

1. Sophie says:

Yeah, actually I agree. I thought Tobey Maguire made a terrible Spiderman, but he truly does look like a genius in comparison to this guy.

• lololee24 says:

You haven't even seen this guys performance, what's wrong with you? You can't compare Andrew to Tobey when you haven't even seen Andrews performance! But I digress, I haven't seen Emma Stone and I hate everything she's in, so I guess I can see your point.

2. Cindy says:

Tobey was not genius! I can't wait to see someone who can actually show emotion, develop this character.

• Greig says:

Emotion? Have you ever read a Spiderman comic book? Because outside of the death of Ben in the mags, Peter Parker was not a font of emotion, and by the way, one of the reasons people hated Spiderman 3 so much was because he was emo.

• rannoch says:

um, hav YOU ever read a spiderman comic book? or at least a description from any of the tpb or omnibus books? The first thing they say in all of them is that what makes spiderman unique is the fact that the comic is as much about spiderman as it is about peter parker. Every comic he battles with himself, if not about his aunt, it’s about school, whether he’s doing the right thing, his love life, everything is covered. There’s a wealth of emotion and complexity in spiderman comics to cover and convey. Emotion does not automatically mean emo :/

3. J. Galt says:

LOL. Love the guy already…

4. J. Galt says:

LOL! – Love this guy already…

5. Elvin says:

LOL! xD Adrew Garfield did great on Social Network. I think He will do fine in The Spider Man Reboot. I still dont like the villain choice in this movie and who is playing it… but!, who knows… maybe he turns out good. I just know that this Spider Man movie is going to be original and THANK GOD THEY BUT GWEN IN THIS MOVIE!!!!. I just hope that Esay A gilr dosent mess it up. Sonyhas a big eye on them, and thats the people around the world that loves the spider man. Lets just hope in the part 2 of this movie (that's if this movie comes out great) the green goblin appears and kills Gwen and then bring MJ. It would be an epic saga!. Good Lucky Adrew Garfield.

6. Matt says:

Well personally, aside from the fact that he is not dating either felicia hardy or mj, I think this looks interesting… he has the mechanical web slingers instead of the webs coming out of holes in his arms… most of the comics I remember had those… and he is a comedian while he is kicking butt….

7. Touche? says:

Woah.. hold up. Amazing spider man is an awesome movie.
    The cast were great. And seriously i salute the guys who got both andrew and emma. They really sold the character, emotions.. etc.
    And the biggest bonus was Gwen Stacy wasn't the 'damsel in distress' . Seriously, don't you guys ever wish MJ would actually do something to save her life and didnt just wait for spidey to come to her rescue?

8. John says:

Andrew Garfield is the meanest actor. The cast was really cool in the movie.

Keep going with the new Spider-man movies!!!

(yeah i think you should add Kraven in number 2)