‘Star Trek Into Darkness’: 9 minutes with ‘The Hobbit’ in IMAX 3D

Nov. 14, 2012 | 4:30 p.m.
quinto2 Star Trek Into Darkness: 9 minutes with The Hobbit in IMAX 3D

Zachary Quinto as Spock, left, and Chris Pine as James T. Kirk in “Star Trek.” (Paramount Pictures)

Fans can get their first glimpse of footage from “Star Trek Into Darkness” before select screenings of “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” Paramount announced Wednesday. The first nine minutes of the highly anticipated sequel to J.J. Abrams’ 2009 “Star Trek” film will be previewed before IMAX 3D screenings in roughly 500 theaters beginning Dec. 14.

Abrams seems to have taken a page from “The Dark Knight” director Christopher Nolan and “Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol” director Brad Bird; like those films, parts of the “Star Trek” sequel were filmed using the large-format IMAX cameras.

“Star Trek Into Darkness,” written by “Lost” alumni Damon Lindelof, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, is slated for a May 17, 2013, release after four years of speculation and hype from eager fans. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto will reprise their respective roles as James T. Kirk and Spock. Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin, Simon Pegg, John Cho and Bruce Greenwood are also returning.

Benedict Cumberbatch is joining the cast as the film’s yet-to-be-announced villain (although he’s rumored to be Khan) after wining the role based on an audition video that was shot and sent with an iPhone.

“Benedict has an incredible presence and brooding intensity,” the film’s co-producer Bryan Burk said. “To say he’s a welcome addition to the ‘Star Trek’ cast is an understatement; he’s an actor that truly captivates his audience.”

Coincidentally, Cumberbatch also has a couple of roles in Peter Jackson’s “Hobbit” films, voicing the Necromancer and the dragon Smaug, but it’s unlikely either of those characters will appear in the first film in the expected Tolkien trilogy.

Will you be making an unexpected journey to “The Hobbit” to catch a glimpse of “Star Trek Into Darkness”? Let us know in the comments.

– Noelene Clark

hobbitposter Star Trek Into Darkness: 9 minutes with The Hobbit in IMAX 3D

‘The Hobbit’: Meet the company of dwarves

Peter Jackson’s unexpected journey to three films

Zachary Quinto getting in Spock shape for sequel

‘Star Trek’: Benedict Cumberbatch lights it up

‘Star Trek’ sequel: A galactic reunion

Happy birthday, Peter Jackson, and happy flying

New Zealand releases Tolkien-themed currency

Peter Jackson to craft Shire sound in Dolby Atmos

Peter Jackson tours the Shire and beyond

An unexpected journey? Oh yes.

Peter Jackson and the one true Bilbo Baggins

Comments

18 Responses to ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’: 9 minutes with ‘The Hobbit’ in IMAX 3D

1. Dustin says:

yes. of course. stupid question.

2. Kenneth L Hall says:

I've seem most of the Star Trek shows, on televison and in the theater . .since 1964. It's been neat trip, and Star Trek has provided many exciting moments. Hopefully JJ Abrams and Bryan Burk will continue the same excellence as past presentations have provided. Here's looking forward to the new shows release on 17 May 2013

3. theworldoutsidethewindow says:

Lost was written?? Ha just kidding, looking forward to this, I read that Mr Cumberbatch is Mr Gary Mitchell!?

4. Joe says:

The Hobbit looks like a very hairy movie.

5. randja says:

"lost" what a joke just like st elsewhere completely stupid end……. hey we're all dead , it was a plane crash stupid

6. @Billando says:

Yeah, the money is on Cumberbatch being Gary Mitchell…which makes a lot more sense.

7. Rita says:

YEASSSSSS

8. hugh bingham, Jr. says:

I've been a Star Trek fan since nearly birth. I was happy and content with JJ Abrams rendition a few years ago. I was pleased with the cast selection. Glad to hear they are coming back. I will see the new movie and buy the DVD regaurdless of of any review. I am a Tolkien fan as well. Cherrs to you to Mr. Jackson

9. Steve says:

I would go to a "chick flick" with my wife just to see the pre-view. LOL

10. Justin says:

probably going to go see the hobbit so I can watch the hobbit :/

11. Chris Carter says:

I have already bought the tickets1

12. Autumn says:

Going to see it either way. This just seems to be a happy bonus to me. :)

13. Hey! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you

knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?

I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m

having difficulty finding one? Thanks a lot!

14. After I initially commented I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new

comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I recieve 4 emails with the exact same

comment. There has to be a way you are able to remove me

from that service? Kudos!