‘Star Wars’ Blu-ray collection set for release Sept. 16

May 05, 2011 | 6:25 p.m.

The countdown begins – “Star Wars: The Complete Saga” on Blu-ray will be released Sept. 16.

Although it was announced  at last year’s Consumer Electronics Show that the films would be coming to the format and pre-sale orders were being taken, fans hadn’t known exactly when they could look forward to having the Blu-rays in their possession. The boxed set will go on sale Sept. 12 internationally.

The new nine-disc set contains more than 40 hours of special features, including  deleted, extended and alternate scenes, and new documentaries (like “Star Wars Spoofs” and the action figure-oriented “Star Warriors”).

“Star Wars” was first released for the home video market on VHS and Beta videocassettes back in 1982. Purists, however, preferred to watch their favorite space opera on laser disc, either RCA’s CED (Capacitance Electronic Disc) or Laservision’s CLV (Constant Linear Velocity) discs. In 1985, the CAV (Constant Angular Velocity) format was introduced, and fans were able to watch the film frame-by-frame. Later, in 1995, a “definitive collection” was released (costing $250!) with nine laser discs and the first commentary track.

The THX-mastered wide-screen versions of the VHS tapes and laser discs were released in 1995, and a 1997 special edition offered trailers, behind-the-scenes shorts and more.

In 2001, “Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace” was released on DVD, and the floodgates of special features were opened. Things like deleted scenes were thrown in, to fans’ delight. Now, with the upgrade to Blu-ray, Luke, Leia, Han, Anakin and Yoda are continuing to age better than anyone might have imagined.

– Jevon Phillips

Did Lucas change cinema with prequel trilogy?

“Empire” director Kershner, remembered

“Star Wars” brings Force to Legoland

“Phantom Menace” on the way in 3D

Seth Green: Lucas wants to be silly

“Clone Wars” characters show their age

“Star Wars” saga will hit Blu-ray this year

Ford returns to Jedi universe … for one night

Kurtz: Toy sales took Lucas to dark side

VIDEO: Ford and Hamill on “Today” show, 1980

Lucas asked David Lynch to direct “Jedi”

VIDEO: “Star Wars” & Ke$ha? May the Farce be with you

More in: Movies, Star Wars

Comments

8 Responses to ‘Star Wars’ Blu-ray collection set for release Sept. 16

1. duoshock says:

god no.letter box?why do i have a 6000

god no.letter box? why do i have a 5000$ home cinema for?those puristes are mad.its always the same shit–LETTER BOX

god no.letter box? why do i have a 6000$ home cinema set for ? those puristes are mad. its always the same shit—LETTER BOX.

2. Big John says:

Sep. 16 is my birthday! What a fantastic birthday present!

3. asdf says:

thank you for inviting us into your editing process, duoshock.

4. Anthony says:

As cool as this compilation package is, I'll wait to see what Father Lucas will offer us in 2018, after the true, final, 3-D Digital versions of all 6 films (w/ all of the new/extended scenes) have been released. Then, I'll buy them, if I must. Honestly, as a first-generation Star Wars (the 1977 original is still my favorite movie of all time, though I see the flaws now) fan, the only place I really want to see these movies are in a big beautiful movie theater, where they were meant to be seen in the first place. Am I the only one who hopes that when we all go to see COWBOYS AND ALIENS, the last trailer we see is for STAR WARS: EPISODE I — THE PHANTOM MENACE (IN DIGITAL 3-D)? I will shout "YES!!!" when I see that Lucasfilm LTD. logo. Also, wouldn't it be nice to see the trailer for Lucas' other film, RED TAILS at that showing as well?

5. Miguel Soto says:

Hi
    Maybe I am not to kmard, but can you tell me, star wars will be release en sept 16 but, since the movie was not done in Blue ray how they going to convert to BR
    Can yuo expleint that to me
    Thanks

• James says:

…since all movies are shot on film, how do they get them on DVD? Better yet, if Star Wars was done in the late 70's, did they have secret DVD equipment that we the public were not aware of?

• cgoofies says:

I would guess, first it is digitally remastered. Then put on Blue Ray with that technology, and types of pixilations, sharpness, and enhancements. I think the best films are going to be shown with deep and quality images deep in the picture. That helps the most watching a movie and getting a real effect, maybe similar to what a scene shot in space is to us, but all the time in every movie.