‘Star Wars’: Flying light saber alert as ‘Phantom Menace’ goes 3-D [updated]

March 03, 2011 | 11:53 a.m.

"Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace" (Lucasfilm)

The Tatooine pod races in “Star Wars – Episode I: The Phantom Menace” was one of the franchise’s most exciting, pulse-pounding spectacles — and now we’ll get to see them in 3-D on Feb. 12, 2012.

Although word about the upcoming 3-D version of the “Star Wars” prequel had been out for awhile, news broke Thursday morning about the movie’s release date; Industrial Light & Magic’s John Knoll is heading up the movie’s 3-D conversion. Creator George Lucas doesn’t have any new scenes planned for the re-release, as he did with the digital re-releases of the original trilogy of “Star Wars” films, and there’s no word yet on when the other prequels – “Episode II: Attack of the Clones” and “Episode III: Revenge of the Sith” — will get their  3-D releases. [Updated: An earlier version of this post indicated that it was unclear whether the other "Star Wars" prequels would be released in 3D. They will be.]

The debate on 3-D seems to have died down, with most recognizing that the stereoscopic technology seems to be here to stay.  But converting a 2-D film to 3-D isn’t easy and certainly isn’t always successful.  One can imagine, though, that there will be fairly exacting standards for anything “Star Wars.”

– Jevon Phillips

Did “Star Wars” prequels change cinema?

“Star Wars” area opens at Legoland in March

“Star Wars” Blu-ray pre-sale begins

Kurtz: Toy sales took Lucas to dark side

Seth Green: Lucas wants to be silly

“Clone Wars” characters show their age

Ford returns to Jedi universe … for one night

VIDEO: Ford and Hamill on “Today” show in 1980

Lucas asked David Lynch to direct “Return of the Jedi”

Comments

15 Responses to ‘Star Wars’: Flying light saber alert as ‘Phantom Menace’ goes 3-D [updated]

1. Pip says:

"there’s no word yet on when/whether the other prequels – “Episode II: Attack of the Clones” and “Episode III: Revenge of the Sith” — will get the 3-D treatment." Yet again a piss-poor attempt at journalism and misplaced facts. One simple google search for "Star Wars saga 3D" would reveal that, on the official Star Wars site no less, the entire saga IS planned for a 3D release.

2. Dumdum Dugan says:

Mr Lucas,

Please Stop.

Sincerely,
    A lifelong Star Wars Fanboy.

3. Outis Natokis says:

"One can imagine, though, that there will be fairly exacting standards for anything “Star Wars.”"

Hahahahahhaha

4. JLN says:

You realize this also means seeing Jar Jar in 3D.

I'll pass.

5. Dan says:

Dont you have enough $?
    let it go

6. GenuineSmile29 says:

"…One can imagine, though, that there will be fairly exacting standards for anything “Star Wars.""

Standards?

Did you see episodes 1-3? I don't think they've had any standards in mind for a while.

7. Mark Hammil says:

Lucas realized the only way to bring depth & dimension to his characters was to show it in 3D.

8. Noooooo says:

Lucas is to Star Wars as Gene Simmons is to Kiss

Anything for a buck

9. Trish says:

I LOVE IT ALL!! Bring it on! I have4 kids and only 1 of them has seen any Star Wars movies on the big screen. They are so excited and I am so excited that I get to share in this with them!

10. Michelle says:

Don't forget to take your Dramamine! I can't wait!

11. paul c. says:

Yeah, I can't wait to spend 20 bucks to sit in a room with 300 squirming, bored kids and their simpy manchild dads.

12. happy ziggy says:

I would much rather see episodes 7, 8, 9.

13. Paul M says:

Perhaps I'm dense, but I need someone to explain to me why, WHY, a man who just donated half his fortune to charity can still be accused of being a money-grubbing egomaniac. HOW? I really, really want to know. Has anyone on this thread complaining about Lucas selling out donated half of their income to charity? If you haven't, I don't see how you have any room to talk. Er, post.

Anyway, can't wait to see this with a new generation who loves the brilliant and dazzling prequels as much as we loved the originals!