‘Star Wars’ saga in 3-D will start in theaters in 2012 [updated]

Sept. 28, 2010 | 6:12 p.m.

Ben Fritz has big news from Skywalker Ranch …

star wars 1977 Star Wars saga in 3 D will start in theaters in 2012 [updated]

George Lucas watched the massive success of “Avatar” and “Alice in Wonderland” in the 3-D format and decided it was time for a return of the Jedi.

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace” will return to theaters in 3-D in 2012 and will be followed in the stereoscopic format by the five other live-action movies set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Lucas’ Industrial Light & Magic special-effects shop is overseeing the 3-D conversion. 20th Century Fox will release them, as it has done for all previous “Star Wars” films.

Lucas has said publicly on more than one occasion that the technological strides of James Cameron’s “Avatar” persuaded him to reconsider his longtime disdain for 3-D.  After the Golden Globes, for instance, he told Access Hollywood that he was investigating the possibilities of converting his Skywalker family epic into the trendy format. “Haven’t been a big fan of 3-D, but that movie definitely improves in [the field of] 3-D … we’ve been looking for years and years and years of trying to take ‘Star Wars’ and put it in 3-D,” Lucas explained to “Access.” “But, [the] technology hasn’t been there. We’ve been struggling with it, but I think this will be a new impetus to make that happen.”

In a press release LucasFilm is expected to put out soon that was obtained by The Times, ILM visual effects supervisor John Knoll made clear that his company doesn’t intend to put out a sub-par 3-D conversion. Some conversions done in a rush have turned off moviegoers and critics.

“Getting good results on a stereo conversion is a matter of taking the time and getting it right,” Knoll said in a statement. “It takes a critical and artistic eye along with an incredible attention to detail to be successful. It is not something that you can rush if you want to expect good results. For ‘Star Wars’ we will take our time, applying everything we know both aesthetically and technically to bring audiences a fantastic new ‘Star Wars’ experience.”

– Ben Fritz

DO YOU SPEAK GEEK? TRY THE HERO COMPLEX TRIVIA CHALLENGE

Star Wars cast

A long time ago … the story of this photo

George Lucas goes alien for “Clone Wars”

Harrison Ford returns to “Star Wars” universe … for one night

James Cameron: I want to compete with “Star Wars” and Tolkien

“Star Wars Uncut” — the world remakes a classic

Gary Kurtz says toy sales took George Lucas to dark side

“Star Wars” saga will hit Blu-ray next year

Will “Force Unleashed” be the next “Star Wars” film?

Lucas asked David Lynch to direct “Return of the Jedi”?

Comments

147 Responses to ‘Star Wars’ saga in 3-D will start in theaters in 2012 [updated]

1. Jacob says:

STOP MILKING STARWARS!!!!! MAKE SOMETHING NEW!!! SERIOUSLY!!!

2. Dan says:

This is why the Mayans predicted the end of the earth in 2012. If there is a god he will kick off armageddon before he lets eyes see that

3. John says:

I remember the last time I saw a Star Wars film at my local theater in metro-Detroit. That was back when Episode 1 was first released. That was when I decided I would never partake in another Star Wars movie outing. For up to two days, in some areas, fans will camp out waiting in line to buy tickets to see these movies, but for what? It was all-out chaos and disorder when I last went. I remember being elbowed, jostled, and whacked with plastic light sabers by my friends and others before and during the movie. Maybe there was something to wearing plastic armor that I missed out on… I pity the fools who plan to go and support these re-hashed films for the umpteenth time in the theaters, excluding first-timers who, by all means, should enjoy the movies for themselves. Expect to be violated by a pandemonium of clanking suits and obnoxious nerd-dom. There should be some type of movie-going etiquette enforcement in consideration of others. It's too bad George Lucas & company haven't found another good way to generate revenue. When will it end?

• brad says:

Dude ok stop harassing George Lucas I loved the digitally remastered movies on the big screen. And I can’t wait for the 3d ones he didnt have the technology to do that stuff when he made the movies but now he douse he’s making them better then they were stop hating on him for that

4. dave says:

maybe if you hadn't butchered them if the firstplace, WE MIGHT CARE…..
    like an eighties one hit wonder song drenching us with remixes and squeezing us with re-runs…
    LUCAS< GET A LIFE

• Guest says:

You don't watch it Dave.

• Billz says:

Lucas doesn't have to rehash it, Guest.

• rob says:

it's Star Wars-he could bundle it in poo, send it out with a virile strain of ebola, and I still would go see it. Rehashed or not. Not overly fond of the prequels, but anything Star Wars, rehashed or not, is still better than most mainstream hollywood fare. And, ironically, most everything coming out of hollywood is "rehashed, cover versions" of older movies. You want indie: go watch "Pi"-great movie-

5. MJLA says:

BLECCCCCH.

These are two things I have COMPLETELY had enough of for the rest of my life: 3-D movies and "Star Wars."

6. lukemilwauker says:

"O George, Only you could be so bold…the more you tighten your grip the more moviegoers will slip through your fingers."
    long live the original trilogy

7. RobertG says:

Oh goody!! More recycled Star Wars! I guess episodes 7, 8 and 9 would have been a bit of a stretch, huh? God forbid you do something original, Mr. Lucas…

• ttt says:

Oh, because it's not like he hasn't put out a new trilogy and a new Indiana Jones in the last decade. Yeah, he's been relying on Episodes 4-6 this whole time.

Nevermind that Episodes 1, 2, and Crystal Skull sucked. They were original. So let's not attack him on that front. If anything though, he needs someone to help him write and direct.

• Buck Mann says:

… but nobody has anything negative to say about the seemingly endless and terrible star trek reincarnations… really? nobody?

• The Devil says:

Shutup!

8. George Scorsese says:

Memo to Lucas:
    No one cares !!!

• dee says:

Yes, some of us do!!! If you don't want to watch it, you don't have to! I promise no one will hold a gun to your head and make you…

May the Force be with you…

9. guest says:

noooooooooooooooooooo!

-Luke Skywalker

10. wookiefurball says:

I think the 3D is more profit motivated than artistic since the Star Wars franchise is the only thing energizing George Lucas' company. The real test of Star Wars in 3D is to actually shoot it in 3D. Since the film series is over, the only way for that to happen is to film in 3D the long-talked about Star Wars-based TV show or a new attraction at Disney parks.

11. Apikoros says:

Gee, I hope he adds more of those wacky new special scenes illustrating his ongoing senility! For the love of God, Lucas, haven't you made enough money yet? What are you building out there at Skywalker Ranch, anyways, a Death Star? Use it already, then, and spare your ongoing masturbation.

12. JoeLosFeliz says:

NO MORE!

13. none says:

STAR WARS THE ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE Is Forever …One Last Time

14. Mike says:

Greedo shoots first … in 3D!

15. Chris says:

George, George…It's ok, I'm a diehard Star Wars fan (well of the original trilogy, and some of the clone wars, NOT the prequels) and I don't think 3D is the answer. Star Wars has always done rather well when left in the hands of another director with you executive producing. Why not put your financing behind a new director and let him take the helm for a Star Wars reboot picking up with the Thrawn Trilogy? It worked for Star Trek, and I'd be willing to buy a fresh faced cast as Luke, Han, and Leia as long as they were moving the story forward, not remaking the same s#$t that's been done over and over, and over. Heck, if the movies were half as good as the books, they'd be GREAT! I personally would scrap the live action TV show (it's not even focusing on any main characters), sure let Seth Green do the funny Star Wars stuff…whatever, but seriously refocus your attention and funding on moving the story forward and making something worth while. Based on the sounds of things, if you stay on the same path you're going, you've got another Christmas Special on your hands!

• Gras says:

The problem with making Episodes VII, VIII, and IX is that you can't get the same actors and actresses for their parts from Episodes IV, V, and VI. I mean, really. Mark Hamil playing Luke now? Not gonna happen. I'd love to see the Thrawn Trilogy in movie format, too, but it would be just way too difficult to get any hardcore fan to really buy into new actors.

That all said, no matter how bad they would be, I'd go see each one multiple times and buy the Blu-Rays. If it says "Star Wars" on it I'm all over it.

• destinee says:

i love star wars i would put me too sleep at night im fifteen so im all for the 3D i have nothing against them idk why so many people have a problem yes the originals are amazing but guys come on! loving star wars and seeing it in 3D should enhance our love for it and make us appreciate the technology we have today to make the things we love most better

16. Darklighter says:

Yup sad….just sad. This is just to try and keep up with Cameron and make more coin. Don't give us the bull of seeing the art in a new medium or whatever. Please people just stay home and watch them on one of your upteenth updated DVD's. You SUCK George!

17. Jay says:

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together… and in 3-D, it'll reach deeper into our pockets than you can possibly imagine…"

18. Reeves says:

Hated that he is greedily milking the franchise to the bone. HATE MYSELF MORE that I am probably going to see 'A New Hope' and 'Empire' in said 3D format. Ugh.

19. Gabriel says:

………..really? Really? So first we had the original classics. Then we had the 1997 revised cut. Then we had the new saga. And now we have the original trio in 3D. So next we'll get the new saga in 3D. Then I'm thinking Indiana Jones in 3D.

How pathetic Hollywood. I knew you guys were running low on ideas but come on! Are you just gonna keep re-releasing old films……

Hollywood—if you need new ideas, start accepting some of those screenplays random joe shmoes like myself send you. Sometimes we actually have brilliant ideas that are fresh and could make $$$ if you weren't so uptight and afraid to take a risk.

Remakes, reboots, sequels, and now 3-D-itized films. Milk those movies hollywood!

It's like losing weight, there are a ton of schemes and "short-cuts" and then there's the right way—exercise and eating healthy. Hollywood: Make good films and people will watch them and you will make money. If I want Star Wars in 3D, I don't need to go to a theater for that effect…

• Jeff says:

Hollywood? Where is you head? This is ALL Lucas…

• Chris says:

"So first we had the original classics. Then we had the 1997 revised cut. Then we had the new saga. And now we have the original trio in 3D"

Don't forget, before the 1997 Special Edition with the "deleted" scenes, we had the Star Wars Trilogy THX Remastered Special Edition that cleaned up the picture and sound (and the only well received upgrade thus far). Then when the DVD collection came out, virtually all of the scenes added in the 1997 Special Edition were redone (some for the better i.e. Jabba and Han's meeting), and many more added…The most irritating of which is Hayden Christensen's inclusion in the "original trilogy" as a ghost at the end of ROTJ instead of the original old Anakin. Of course public outcry befell that release so Lucasfilm offered up The Original Trilogy Special Edition, containing both the THX remastered versions along with the DVD Special Editions with all the add ins. If that's not enough to make your head spin, in addition to the 3D version coming out, Star Wars will soon make it's way to Blue Ray, and you guessed it: More changes. What's next, we going to add Jar Jar Binks into episode 4? Why not just keep re-packaging this garbage until it's unwatchable! I've been dumb enough to buy each of the aforementioned collections, but you know what? I'm done! Continue the story or be done with it!

20. Emily says:

Someone needs to get a restraining order on behalf of the Star Wars franchise so that George Lucas can't come within 100 yards of it ever again.

21. Nick says:

Huh? This was announced years ago! By now, the conversions should have come and gone from theaters. Any stories of Lucas disdaining 3D, only to now have a change in heart, are based in fantasy.

22. mike says:

how about REBOOTING THE STAR WARS EPISODES 1-3?!

23. Always be a fan says:

Complain all you want and don't see the 3D version if you can But if ever a movie franchise begs to be in James Cameron's 3D it's STAR WARS. I thought '3D' from the opening shot of the first movie all those years ago

24. Voice of Millions says:

I boycott StarWars until Battlefront 3.

25. WonkaJean says:

The Empire Strikes Back was a good movie.

That's about it.

Lucas need to learn how to plot a good movie. The last three he released showed he has no clue.

• Billz says:

Wrong. "Star Wars" is leagues ahead of Empire. I refuse to call it "A New Hope" because back in 1977, it was listed on the marquee as "Star Wars".

26. Lc49b1 says:

Just release the blu-ray version to DVD and be done with it. I am a Star Wars fan, but no more trips to the theatre to see Star Wars unless it is 7-8-9.

27. Jar Jar says:

Maybe Lucas can make Episode 1 have a coherent narrative that you actually care about while they add in 3D, I think I'll just go watch the 70min review of it which is awesome http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/12/17/watch-this-70

You need a proto-gan-ast…classic…3d isn't going to help that one…

28. Joe Momma says:

What's next? The Christmas Special in 3D ?

29. Johnny Rico says:

I don't believe it.

That is why you fail, George Lucas.

30. HollyJ. says:

I'm a butt hurt, 30 year old Star Wars fan. Whine-whiney-whine.

31. dave says:

I have a bad feeling about this.

32. michael says:

Oh stop whining…you damn well you're ALL going to go watch the movies. And how long has it been since something original and worthwhile has come out of Hollywood? Please…

• Billz says:

Something original comes out of Hollywood quite often. Check out "Buried" or "Despicable Me". Excellent movies and neither are a remake or reboot.

33. David says:

Please god no more 3D! Enough already! 3D is silly and adds nothing to the movie! Please won't this 3D thing just die already.

34. Mike Maloney says:

Not only does faux 3D suck, the work is done in India.

This is a lose-lose proposition for fans.

35. Dave says:

I hated phanthom,thought clone was alright ,enjoyed sith,and loved the original 3 IF I was tro see ANY of them in 3d it would be a new hope,empire,and jedi but everyone is right they really need to quit milking these movies if you want to impress us lucas maybe come out with 7 8 or 9 in 3d and with the best star wars story yet dont half ass it

36. will says:

you would have better luck bringing back the old cast back for a retirement party on mars,also clone wars sucks

37. genxwing says:

For those of you who do not want this, consider only one thing.
    By the time Star Wars is "re-released" it will be almost 10 years since it has been on screen.
    An entire generation of kids have only seen it on TV.
    What if that was the only way you had ever seen it????????
    Star Wars is timeless, I can't wait to see it in hologram form in 2212…….

38. Paulo G. Sanchez says:

To all the people who cry "Lucas is miliking it", I'm sure you guys will be the first ones in line, with your children and buying all the toys and merchandise for them (and yourselves, yeah admit it). Nobody is George Lucas. George Lucas created this wonderful modern saga with many tried and true mythological themes, legends, and lore. If it had been someone else, anybody else, famous, non-famous or whatever, that person would also be criticized udoubtedly by all the jealous people out there. If you don't like it then just plain don't go see, don't support it, and just don't be a part of it. Those of us that do enjoy, love, and yes revere it, will continue to support it, love it, perpetuate it and it will continue on like all good storytelling, through our children and our children's children. I'm a Star Wars fan since since 1977, I own the books, the toys, the movies in Beta, VHS, DVD, lots of merchandise and will continue to buy more merchandise and go see any future encarnation of George Lucas' creation with my sons and hopefully with their sons and daughters. Thank you George Lucas.

39. Gremlin says:

I'm all for it..so RedletterMedia (aka Mr Plinkett) can destroy Lucas once again…in 3D!!!

40. Max says:

It will be wiser and better to make new Star Wars movies. Lucas should focus more on episodes 7, 8 and 9 than to try to make more money on the classic shows.

You are destroying Star Wars rather than making it stronger.

41. jim n says:

Did Lucas miss the part where Avatar was filmed in 3D, and not converted after-the-fact?

42. blythebroncofan says:

dont you people get it…he is using this trilogy 3d re-issue to garner extra cash to help the pre-production of the next up coming sequel trilogy expected to be released in 2016…he did the the special editions in 1997 at that led to to the prequel trilogy…that being said i dont think i will be paying to go see it in theaters…i got all the movies at home!!!

43. NO George says:

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace SUCKED. That is by far the worst of the 6 films.

I'm sure George Lucas has really lost his mind.

George at least do the original first Star Wars in 3-D Not that junk the The Phantom Menace .

44. Gremlin says:

Meeesa tinks dis worsa ideea dan makin me! -Jar Jar Binks

45. R2-3PO says:

Everyone on this board has been seduced by the dard side. Don't you fools realize its not for YOU any more! It's for the next generation. (not a star trek reference) My kids LOVE both trilogies and we all would LOVE to see them on the big screen again. 3D or NOT!

• Tool Fixer says:

Justify it to yourself anyway you like. This is a money-grab, plain and simple. The onslaught of Star Wars media has reached the point where it would take 20 to 30 years before people start pining for seeing it on the big screen again. Generations = every 20 years . . . not every 10 years.

In regards to 'whom these movies are for'? Lucas wants EVERYBODY's money, dork. But this franchise wouldn't exist, but for the 30, 40, and 50 somethings whom propelled Star Wars to historic theatrical heights, some 33 years ago.

46. rachelprose says:

I belive it will be incredible. His movies made history in the film industry and their growth and development will only intrigues his fans more.

47. James says:

Is he mad??? Mr. Lucas please just do us a favor and put the Star Wars saga on Blu-ray instead of making it in 3D looks like saps like me will pay $20 a pop just to see the movies in that format.

48. mike says:

the best star wars movie ever was the empire strikes back. the one lucas DIDN'T direct. lol

49. Space Balls says:

NERD ALERT!

50. sdfgh says:

Make some new Star Wars movies please. No more re-packaging.

51. andre says:

Every time Lucas does ANYTHING with 'Star Wars', it's the same antipathy all over again, yet it's STILL a popular franchise people still obviously enjoy, or no one would bother with it anymore. Whatsmore, it's been over TEN years since 'Phantom Menace' played on a big screen, and it'd probably look a helluva lot better in 3-D than 'Clash of the Titans'.

52. Jeff says:

The Phantom Menace in 3D? Finally…now it will be three times worse than it already is! Lucas is almost worse than Bernie Madoff…stop taking our money!

53. Lance Northcot says:

Knock it off with the criticism all you Star Wars and science fiction haters! This is being done for the fans of Star Wars not all you pseudo sophisticated self proclaimed film loving experts. Complaining about isn't going stop the 3d work being done so find some else to complain or rail about. Stop wasting space! You want Star Wars fans to grow up but, the way you bandwagon complain just demonstrates your just as immature. The majority of you come off sounding like a bunch failed amateur film critics or backseat wantabe filmmakers who are seething because you couldn't make it in an industry that under the surface you despise.

54. Exar Kun says:

Cry Cry Cry …….. Bleh … You either love Star Wars or you hate it… Milking it come on … << rolls Eyes >. At all the haters ..Has Any one even thought to think that he is trying to generate extra cash to continue The Live action Series that has been postponed.

Lets see if you cant get enough Star Wars and you want to continue Its legacy In a Positive way Why not do it by being Charitable and Giving to your communities …. 501st, Rebel Legion and many Other organization in your community that do with out taking … The reward alone to see a childs Face light up when they see light sabers and Storm Troopers and Darth Vader OH MY !

At the end of the Day Star Wars is One of the best stories out there.

55. jarjarh8r says:

If they promise to kill Jar-Jar in 3D, I'll go see it.

56. RM11 says:

Pathetic…

57. freddt says:

Can't Wait till they come out with the Smell-Cam Theaters too, so that every time Jar Jar steps into poop or an animal farts we can smell it, look for that next.

58. tony says:

the force unleashed would make a great movie, but the new jedi order should come first either way they should be good

59. Jesus Manson says:

Looking forward to "The Devil In Miss Jones" coming out in 3-D.

60. David Francis says:

I think you guys are being a little harsh on Lucas… yes the prequels were somewhat of a disappointment, but 3D done tastefully can really improve the feeling of depth and immersion in a movie.

61. Han Solo says:

HAVE A BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS..

62. lucASS says:

oh god – give it a rest darth lucas

63. Kuralt says:

Hey, some of us LIKE seeing the Star Wars movies IN A THEATER ENVIRONMENT no matter how they're presented. But, start out with IV, not Phantom Menace.

64. lenber says:

I hope the movie can be viewed without the stupid 3D Eye glasses since Sony already does.

65. Anon says:

Here's an idea: instead of making eps 1-3 3D, just make them good.

66. PhilKill says:

Cute all these Lucas-haters and how their jealousy is eating them up from inside. Mr. Lucas created something with the Star Wars movies none of you losers ever will in your insignificant lives. What he does with it is up to him and no one else. Funny, same thing is happening with James Cameron. Ever since Avatar has become such a phenomenal success, haters are popping up everywhere. Yes Lucas and Cameron are rich as hell but guess what, they earned it.

67. Jacas G says:

I don't mind that he is re-releasing staw wars in 3d.When it hits the theaters in 2012 my son will be 5,the exact same age i was when i first saw star wars.So this will be exciting for me to watch this with my son.You people getting upset about this,is just plain immature,really get over yourselves

68. lorf says:

Fix'd

Lucas has said publicly on more than one occasion that the several metric tons of money made by James Cameron’s “Avatar” persuaded him to reconsider his longtime disdain for 3-D.

69. Reg-olution says:

Excuse me but is George Lucas your daddy? Does he have your pet hostage? Does he have embarrassing photos of you from the office party?

It is hysterical to see new announcements about Star Wars projects from Lucas and hearing ‘fans’ scream and holler about how their childhood is gone or how they are sick of the merchandise. You know, you don’t have to buy the Blu Ray super enhanced version. You don’t have to watch the 3D version.

Just remember how years ago people complained about how many version of the Lord of the Rings trilogy came out. I knew people who hated when a new release was on the shelf, then watched as they scrapped money together to buy them. Watch or don’t watch the 3D, buy or don’t buy the Blu Ray, but don’t complain about making the purchase or the changes made. Yes, Han shot first and I have it on DVD. If I want to buy a different version it’s my choice but I’m not going to moan and complain about how Lucas is stealing my money because I’m the one who will decide what to buy. I don’t hear Star Wars and do a Pavlov and buy the merchandise. Neither should anyone else if they don’t want to.

70. Logic Guy says:

STOP destroying a CLASSIC. It does not need to be FIXED, it's perfect. Remember and Respect Joseph Campbell.

Han shoots FIRST.
    Yoda is a MUPPET.
    Traveling blue mats are BEAUTIFUL. :)

I am happier ever day that I have the original unadulterated version on DVD. You know, regular old school DVD, not HD, not BlueRay, and most definitely NOT 3D!!!

71. dashrendar says:

these arent the movies were looking for, move along

make shadows of the empire a movie

72. appleo says:

I’d be kinda curious to see how they turn the 1st 3 films into 3-D, but the series needs some fresh creative mojo. Time to get back to the original vision of cheap funky pulp science fiction serials. Screw the muppet movie direction it all took starting with Jedi. George, your audience isn’t 10 years old anymore. Let Quentin Jerome Tarantino take the reigns for episodes 7-12!!!

73. lolpoops says:

No! It's not true . . . THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

74. Debi says:

NO hes made enough money off of us just like the rest of them make something worth watching

75. Janice Combs says:

what a sad bunch of comments. Any chance I get to see the origional trilogy on the big screen again is a good enough excuse to me. After all Mr. Lucas went thru to make these movies, especially the first three, he's entitled to tweak, adjust or whatever he wants to do with them. Lets' just enjoy them again.

76. AC Slayter says:

People read too much into movies…It's a movie people! You like it or you don't. Just remember, no matter what Lucus Entertainment does it makes money, That's better then being a poor commentor.

77. Liam says:

i got to say as much as this is going to be wasting big bucks to see all six films in 3D, i would like to be able to see all the films with my friends in a theater having a good time and geeking out

78. Aaron says:

oh,boy!.i can't wait and for all you star wars haters I'M AM YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE.STICK AROUND MORE FAMILY GUY UP NEXT

79. DANNO says:

I'm a die hard fan but i have to agree that my man Lucas has fallen to the DARKSIDE. Here's an idea….how about new series based on Rouge Squadron from the books. Plenty of characters that you can cast new actors without messing up the nostalgia of the orignal cast and plenty of storyline for numerous sequels. Plus who says you can't have cameo appperances from say Harrison Ford or Billy D Williams. You could even make movies based on the New Jedi Order. Problem solved and everyone is happy. Just quit milkin the the same old cow. Shes run dry!! Give us true fans what we want……..SOMETHING NEW!!!!!!!

80. Iron-Forge says:

Lucas seems dead set on making crappy decisions with the Star Wars genre… his obsession with the Skywalkers is already tiring and mind numbing. As in, there are others star wars stories that are far more fun to follow up on such as "Knights of the Old Republic" (which happens 4000years before Luke Skywalker), "The Force Unleashed" (Story of Galen Marek), Jacen Solo (Son of Han and Leia Solo)…. Come on Lucas, quite being such a baby and grow up with the times. Its time u actually put your fortune to good use and stopped boring us with these nowhere stories

• Heather says:

Hey, not just Jacen, you can't forget Jaina and Anakin. You know, the other two kids of Han and Leia….

I agree, they should really make The Force Unleashed into a movie, that would definitely be epic. Casting would be easy; they could use the voice actors. I know Sam Witwer (Starkiller/Galen) and Nathalie Cox (Juno) at least were also the models for their characters.

81. Gary says:

My Goodness. Take some of the great books and stories after episode 6 and run with it George. Make it 3D produce it. Pay for it. Just stay away from the director and writers chair. George Lucas…Become lazy he has….mmmmm yes.

82. Serious Cat says:

Star Wars 3D? Sure,why not…I rather see the prequel trilogy then most of the horrendous movies coming out these days.

83. Win says:

The prequel trilogy was alright,not the best,but still awesome! As for the original trilogy….a masterpiece.
    STAR WARS FOREVER!

84. Smith says:

Well,we all know George is a greedy guy,but who cares his films are amazing,and are fun to watch over and over again.

85. Jacob says:

Quit whining behind that monitor people! You all know your still going to watch and waste money on George's masterpiece. When is the last time you saw something decent coming out in theaters nowadays………..

86. Peter says:

YEAH!, STAR WARS IN 3D! I usually turn down movies on the fantasy/scifi genre,but not star wars. It's just too epic,can't wait.

87. Henry says:

OMG! Star Wars in 3D! Finally something worth the ticket cost, to watch in 3d.

88. Jace says:

I just finish seeing the prequel trilogy yesterday (Thanks to the Thanksgiving Special on Spike) and saw nothing bad about it. They're a quite decent set of films…with action,romance,and the struggle to save the galaxy…. I don't see why their is so much hate on the internet community, I always heard good about it. Star Wars in 3d?, although as much as I hate 3d,doesn't seem to be such a bad idea. Instead, you should be thanking George for making Star Wars an everlasting franchise and not some washed up science fiction oldie.

89. James Robert says:

Star Wars has always been praised,but then,out of the misfortune of searching for a sequel to the Dark Night,I find an article called "Star Wars saga in 3-D will start in theaters in 2012 [updated]",so I say hey!,STAR WARS! So, I read through it,and then scroll down to find random morons bashing Luca's successful franchise with poor thought out comment from random idiots. So, I conclude that Mr. George Lucas is going to make a killing of these movies,now with all the hype the animated cartoon for the kiddies.

90. Hossif says:

So this is what's supposed to end the world…

91. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics

92. Steven Crowley says:

Hey…a thought JUST came to me…IT REALLY DOSENT MATTER HOW MUCH SOMEONE SAYS "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…" These films, REALLY ARE BEING MADE!!!! ALL THAT IS REQUIRED FOR YOU TO DO IS SIT BACK AND ENJOY THEM…

93. Steven Crowley says:

Well, a problem, has arisen for me, "I wear glasses full time to see….Hopefully something would be dont have to sit in the therater Watching The Films. With my glasses On-Top of my normal viewers.

94. Steven Crowley says:

HEY…GUY'S…THIS MOVIE HAS NOT BEEN PUT OUT YET, I THINK YOU SHOULD ALL GIVE IT A SHOT…THEN COME BACK HERE AND ADD YOUR COMMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!

95. Steven says:

Hey guys, Give the man a little credit, IF I see one more posting on here from someone saying, "How much they "Dislike" the prequels….I would say to them HEY, ISNT IT ABOUT TIME YOU STOPP
    ED TALKING ABOUT FILMS THAT CAME OUT…Before I was born…

96. Steven Crowley says:

Hey, Everyone needs to chill out when it comes to seeing the new films, Sure it is gonna be the same story, but this is so good, It really WILL be lifelike.

97. Tommyboy says:

George basically means: “Haven’t been a big fan of 3-D, but…" there's money to be made.

98. Steven says:

Hey, "Star Wars" is THE BEST FILM. This "3D" addition WILL be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO… GREAT IN '3D'.

99. james braselton says:

hi there yeah star wars will be alwsoume in 3d becuase i have star wars 3d on my 3ds when will we get 3d movies on 3ds

100. STEVEN CROWLEY says:

I CARE.

101. Steven Crowley says:

Hey…To anyone who says, "You Suck, George." I think that this guy is JUST looking for new ways that he can tell This Story, If You Really Dont Want to Show Any Respect, All for what "Mr. Lucas" Does With These Films Look Up In The Left Of This Page.

102. brad says:

I love star wars and have been watching it for 20 years and I think the 3d will be amazing and you guys can stop being so critical and saying he’s milking it. He had a absolutely amazing idea and put it on the screen for us to enjoy I think all of you haters are just secretly jealous of him for coming up with the idea. The only thing I wish he was doing instead of 3d was making a new star wars movie. But thank you George Lucas for giving me a amazing saga to enjoy.

103. brad says:

And stop hating him people

104. matthew says:

update the series afetr episode 6 so we know what happened

105. scott says:

You know all the Star Wars movies were good and I am glad they are coming out in 3d

106. Nancy says:

Growing up I really loved Star Wars. Now my two little boys are in love with it too. And they think that it is cool that their mom knows all about Star Wars. (They also love Indiana Jones, which I can enjoy with them too.)

107. Rob says:

wow-what a bunch of internet whiners. You don't like the franchise anymore, feel free to stop supporting it. I myself am very happy that he is doing this. My 9 yo stepdaughter has never been to SW movie, and just "converted" her to the galaxy far away. So she is sooooo excited to get to see this in the theater, the best place to see SW. So shut up, relax, and remember how it was when some of you, like me, were young kids and the "magic" of SW was brilliant.

108. Austin C. says:

I am so excited, sure most people don't care… but I was too young to watch the movies in theaters and now I get to, so common people. Pull out you nerdy costumes and various Star Warz memorabila then run to your local theater and purchase a ticket for Star Warz in 3D on Feb 10! Don't be kill joys, take a moment in your life to trully nerd out with a bunch of your friends (like I am doing)…have fun for once…

• Alex says:

@ Austin C….

THANK YOU!! FINALLY, A VOICE OF REASON!!

PEOPLE, STAR WARS IS A CLASSIC! Even if you don’t like the fact that it’s coming back and in 3D, DON’T TAKE IT SO SERIOUS!! ENJOY LIFE & HAVE FUN. BUT DON’T RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US.

109. Amber says:

Star Wars is awesome, and despite the numerous additions, it is still one of the best movie series, in my opinion, anyway. I will be going to see all six of them for the movie theater experience of Star Wars. If you're against it going into theaters, get over it and just don't go. It's as simple as that. Stop complaining and watch your original VHS tapes at home.

110. Samantha says:

Oh everybody keeps saying these "what have you done for me lately" speeches, I wish everyone would realize that the whole saga was actually very entertaining. I was actually excited for the re-release of them. I saw episode 1 today, and it was actually not as stupid as I had originally thought back when I saw it when it came out. The 3D is actually worth the money. I don't care that George Lucas hasn't done anything else as spectacular lately, I love the series, and would have re-watched them at home over and over for the rest of my life. Them coming to the big screen again is just awesome to me.