New trailer for ‘Sucker Punch,’ the most audacious movie at Comic-Con

July 27, 2010 | 1:03 a.m.

At Comic-Con International, I moderated nine panels — yes, that is excessive moderation — and none of them had me more intrigued than “Sucker Punch.” As I told the crowd in Hall H, the convention is the place where fuses are lit for certain cinematic firecrackers — Iron Man,” 300 and District 9 spring to mind — and if I had to predict which “unknown quantity” might fall into that category this year, I’d say “Sucker Punch.” It arrived in San Diego as a wild card and now, with this trailer, it’s positioned as one of the most audacious films of 2011. Some people will find the trailer below dizzying and confusing; others will see it as the promise of a vivid brand of liquid calamity of video games, anime and sci-fi adventures.

– Geoff Boucher

Sucker Punch

“Sucker Punch” amps up the grrrrl power

Zack Snyder’s “Sucker Punch” will be a special brand of girl crazy

Frank Miller’s Spartan code: “I make no apologies whatsoever”

Zack Snyder among Hollywood players with video-game ventures

Is “Watchmen” the “Fight Club” of comic-book films?

Alan Moore on “Watchmen” film: “I will be spitting venom all over it”

SILLY VIDEO “Watchmen,” Saturday morning safe!

Clicking on Green Links will take you to a third-party e-commerce site. These sites are not operated by the Los Angeles Times. The Times Editorial staff is not involved in any way with Green Links or with these third-party sites.

Comments

9 Responses to New trailer for ‘Sucker Punch,’ the most audacious movie at Comic-Con

1. Andrew says:

I don't think the author knows what "audacious" means.

2. I think I do: "Marked by originality and verve"

3. jonny says:

uhhh…yeah.
    this looks like total crap. considering I couldn't even sit through this 1 minute and 27 second trailer….it's only down hill from there.
    Seriously, does this film take place in a dream world? because that would be a bad idea considering chris nolan holds the crown of dream world films in 2010.
    How did this get budgeted? Because it has 'hot' non-athletic chicks doing fanciful CG kung fu against dragons, mobsters and samurai?

4. Alex says:

Ha! Suck it Andrew! And what do you people expect from a Zach Snyder movie, which, from what I gather, IS set in the imagination/dreams of the lead character. I didn't realize that Chris Nolan invented the concept of dreams within movies and it was now a concept that could never be tainted by another director's hands.

5. SteveLA says:

Not original, Geoff. The whole thing looks like a Tarantino rip off, especially Kill Bill. (Some of the shots are nearly identical even). I will however, give you verve.

6. vegasgirl says:

ah yes, more exploitation of young, nubile actresses. Oh, and they kick rear-end, so that makes it alright.
    The more things change ….

7. Alex says:

I'm pretty sure that if you sign up for something voluntarily and then presumably get paid for it, that it doesn't count as exploitation. Unless of course Hollywood is just keeping a harem of slave girls around to use in movies these days … though come to think of it, that wouldn't be that surprising I guess. Seriously though, nobody spoke out for poor old Gerard Butler – Hollywood exploited him by dousing him in baby oil and dressing him in a loincloth for 300. Geeze people, it's just a movie not a bloody political statement.

8. Vivek Bhat says:

For those curious about the plot and visual elements of the film. (Taken from the wiki page)
    Synopsis:
    “Set in the 1950s, it tells the story of Baby Doll , who is trying to hide from the pain caused by her evil stepfather and lobotomy. She ends up in mental institution and while there she starts to imagine alternative reality. She plans to escape from that imaginary world but to do that she needs to steal five objects before she is caught by a vile man. She has 5 days to escape before being lobotomized. In order to cope with the situation, she enters the hyper-real world of her imagination, and the lines between reality and dream begin to blur. She is joined with friends who are inmates from the institution. Lessons learned in the said fantasy world could help the girls escape their real-world fate.”
    Rick Carter is production designer, while the visual effects of the film were done by Animal Logic with 75 visual effects specialists. Sucker Punch operates on three levels—a reality, then a sub-reality where the psych ward world shifts into a strange high-roller’s brothel. Then a dream world where it goes into action sequences that are removed from time and space. Warner Bros. announced earlier that Sucker Punch will be released in 3D format. Zack Snyder describes the conversion into 3D as a completely different process.
    Snyder wanted to design the movie to where there’s no limits on him at all, considering that he had co-written the script and this is his first original film not based on any earlier references, and says it is the most difficult part. He adds that he still wants it to “be a cool story and not just like a video game where you’re just loose and going nuts.” Sucker Punch is into a mix of real and digital, with the night club built next door to the First World War trenches, a castle’s partial facade — dragons to be added later — and the grim asylum hallways.
    “A while ago I had written a script for myself and there was a sequence in it that made me think, ‘How can I make a film that can have action sequences in it that aren’t limited by the physical realities that normal people are limited by, but still have the story make sense so it’s not, and I don’t mean to be mean, like a bulls–t thing like Ultraviolet or something like that… It’s as crazy as anything else that I have ever done. It’s a movie that nobody can get made with the ending that it has and the subject matter.”
    - Zack Snyder
    Comic Con Report: Sucker Punch
    “A brain blasting combo of cute girls, burlesque, giant samurais, mechs, zeppelins, zombies, WWI, big guns, robots, space trains, bomber planes, dragons and much, much more, Sucker Punch is like the fever dream of a nerd”

9. Kindbuddy says:

SteveLA it is original you idiot. I hate when ppl find the smallest things to compare something to. OMG it has nazis! It has dragons this is just like dungeons and dragons. By no mean does this look like a Tarantino flick and he's one of my favorite directors. Maybe you can say it because of the girls being strong characters but you really sound like an idiot. If you tell me your favorite film I can easily nit pick like a bitch about it. Even if this film is crap at least its an original piece of crap and not some hollywood adaptation or derived from a damn comic.