‘Superman’ photo gallery: The stars (and story lines) of Metropolis

April 22, 2011 | 12:10 p.m.

The 27-year-old Brit will be the first foreign actor to star as Superman on the silver screen. He was up for same role when director McG was putting together a Man of Steel project but that version never got off the ground. Best know for the Showtime series "The Tudors," his films include "The Count of Monte Cristo" (2002) and "Stardust." (Associated Press)

Kevin Costner knows the cinematic rhythms of rural life after films such as "Field of Dreams," "Dances With Wolves" and "Open Range" and that will likely inform his plaid-shirt work as Jonathan Kent, the earnest adoptive father of the alien infant he will raise to be Superman. (Business Wire)

Going behind the camera, there are few people with more riding on this Superman revival than newly minted Warner Bros. film chief Jeff Robinov. The "Harry Potter" franchise is coming to an end as are the Christopher Nolan/Christian Bale Batman films, so Robinov needs Superman to take flight -- and for director Zack Snyder to deliver for the exec that stood by him after the disappointment of "Sucker Punch." (Liz O. Baylen / Los Angeles Times)

Emma Thomas has produced all of the movies directed by her husband Christoppher Nolan, and the pair have become a force to be reckoned with after the success of "The Dark Knight" and "Inception." This time Nolan steps away from his usual role and will produce along with Thomas while Zack Snyder directs. The real challenge: The couple will be deeply invested in another project, a little film called "The Dark Knight Rises."

Amy Adams can do plucky (her Amelia Earhart in the "Night at the Museum" sequel), fiery (her Oscar-nominated role in "The Fighter") and funny ("Enchanted") so it will be interesting to watch where she takes her Lois Lane. (Frazer Harrison / Getty Images)

The other couple behind the new Superman film is producer Debbie Snyder and director Zack Snyder who (like the Nolan-Thomas team) have carved out a spot in Hollywood by collaborating in a way that enables the wife to handle thousands of logistical decisions while the husband focuses on writing, shooting and editing these massive spectacle films. The question now is how these two couples will work in tandem. (Matt Sayles / Associated Press)

Warner Bros. has completely revamped its approach to DC Comics and its vast library of intellectual property and that has put the focus (and the pressure) on two people: Diane Nelson and Geoff Johns, the president and chief creative officer, respectively, of DC Entertainment. "Green Lantern" is the first DC film with their fingerprints on it, but Superman will be one of the biggest. (Liz O. Baylen / Los Angeles Times)

It was the story idea by David S. Goyer that inspired Nolan and set the project in motion. Nolan explained: “I immediately got it, loved it and thought: That is a way of approaching the story I’ve never seen before that makes it incredibly exciting. I wanted to get Emma and I involved in shepherding the project right away and getting it to the studio and getting it going in an exciting way.” (Bryan Chan / Los Angeles Times)

"Superman Returns" star Brandon Routh and director Bryan Singer will watch the new project with mixed feelings, no doubt. Routh stars in the new campy horror film "Dylan Dog" (costarring Sam Huntington, who played Jimmy Olsen in the 2006 Metropolis movie) and Singer is the producer of "X-Men: First Class." (Getty Images / Jay L. Clendenin/Los Angeles Times)

Another Oscar nominee, Diane Lane, will play Superman's adoptive mother. Snyder says: "Martha Kent is the woman whose values helped shape the man we know as Superman. We are thrilled to have Diane in the role because she can convey the wisdom and the wonder of a woman whose son has powers beyond her imagination.” (Chris Pizzello / Associated Press)

Look, up in the sky … yes, that’s right, Hollywood is again returning to Metropolis to chronicle the adventures of the most famous super-hero of them all, Superman. We’ve put together a photo gallery with the filmmakers, cast, executives and interested bystanders in this project that promises to be one of the most-anticipated films of 2012. Click on the gallery’s  “VIEW CAPTIONS” option to read the inside scoop on each of the players. The big question for everyone: Will the character created during the Roosevelt administration still fly with contemporary audiences?

– Geoff Boucher

Eastwood: I was offered Superman role in ’70s

Snyder: My favorite Superman artist is…

Grant Morrison on the socialist Superman

Morrison to Hollywood: Make Superman a “brawler”

Look, up in the sky it’s … Henry Cavill

Synder: Superman is a tough one to crack

U.K. actors now play Superman, Batman, Spidey

Nolan breaks silence on Superman film

VIDEO: Christopher Reeve on ‘Tonight Show’

A look back: Superman on Broadway in 1966

The Superman issue: Can he still fly in 21st century?

Comments

18 Responses to ‘Superman’ photo gallery: The stars (and story lines) of Metropolis

1. michael witt says:

Amy Adams isn't very pretty. Superman's gf is supposed to be the most beautiful actress being that he is the standard all superheros go by. She can surely pull off the acting, but lacks the look big time.

• Jelly says:

Actually..Lois Lane is not supposed to be the most beautiful woman in the world. It's her personality, inner strength and natural beauty that makes her so special

• Travis says:

Wow, pretty sad when we start saying someone as attractive as Amy Adams isn't very pretty.

• Roland says:

Amy Adams is not only beautiful but a truly exceptional actress. I can't wait to see her in the role.

• nick says:

She is beautiful, Lois Lane is meant to be an ordinary woman not some model. Amy Adams is also a fan of Lois Lane which can play a big part making her better.

2. Dan says:

Yes, because Margot Kidder was the most beautiful actress in Hollywood in the 1970s and 1980s…

3. Dev says:

the casting for clark &lois is utterly disappointing to me..i'm sorry, NO ONE is going to be able to top tom welling &erica durance..i can't speak on the new clark because i've never seen any of his movies, but there's no conceivable way amy adams could surpass what erica durance has done w/ the character of lois lane..amy's too a priss of an actress to play lois..erica's lois could eat amy adams' lois for alive..

4. john says:

I would rather have Tom Welling wear the red cape and Erica Durance be the Lois Lane. I don't know why the Holly Wood people need to look for another man to do the job. Look, Tom and Erica do have a lot of supporter

5. ray says:

If this movie tanks they just might want to listen to the fan base to have a successful movie, They should have given Brandon Routh another shot at it . I think Supe Returns would have been better without the kid element ( why didnt they proof read it….DUH !!!!). You dont run out with a crappy script and do this to the loyal fan base , alot of us are in our late 50,s . And what about the so- called kryptonian – martial arts (HELLO!). Even though he was weak he should have been able to kick their butts over the cliff before being stabbed in the back by Lex….. THINK ABOUT IT!

6. kent ignore says:

Bradon looks and sound like C. Reeves … i hope he does superman again.. or me heheheh

7. chris says:

Do it right with the Smallville Cast or don’t do it at all. I saw Superman Returns and I won’t be disappointed again. So I won’t see the next movie without the legends of the Smallville series. And I’m sure I’m not alone.

8. Ed hurley says:

This has the potential to be very very very LAME!!!!.

9. Speedy says:

Another Superman movie with Lex Luthor? I'll wait for it to be on Cable.

10. rob says:

I do understad where some of you are coming from I . would love to have have seen Tom get the part. I know this isn't going to happen . I as a fan of superman from age of 4 or 5 want a decent movie. maybe they will do it in 3d. Look Henry Cavil may not be first on my list to play superman hell i would rather have Tom Welling , Geard Christopher Brandon Routh hell bring back Dean Cain did I say that. okay look Henry has the part lets give him a chance . Then if the movies a dud let wb know the messed up and like paramount did when they made strartrek 5. so they made startrek 6 the apolagy. well this movie man of steel is superman 6 so if they make a big enough mess they will still have a chance to redeem the franchise.

11. Dana says:

Please people don´t be so negative with the cast. In my opinion Henry and Amy can make it work so please watch the movie first then write your comments :)

12. KryptonianQT says:

I'm a die hard fan and will give this movie a chance regardless of the cast picks because I LOVE SUPERMAN!!!! Smallville was the best and we all deserved a movie from that cast but it might not ever happen so this movie might be the next best thing we're gonna get for a good fix with out Tom Welling. I think Adams will be a SUPER Lois! She's beautiful and a VERY talented lady. It will be easy to fall in love with Cavil being that he is such a hotty and good actor too! I'm not stoked to see Lex again he's way over played for me right now. Hang in Superfriends and give this new movie some faith. Real fans owe it to the one and only Boy Scout!