‘Superman’ photo: Henry Cavill as the ‘Man of Steel’

Aug. 04, 2011 | 7:06 a.m.
mos 0001rv Superman photo: Henry Cavill as the Man of Steel

Henry Cavill as Superman in "Man of Steel." (Warner Bros. Pictures)

On the heels of yesterday’s news that Laurence Fishburne will play Daily Planet newsman Perry White, today we have our first glimpse of Henry Cavill as Superman in “Man of Steel.”

superman gallery2 Superman photo: Henry Cavill as the Man of Steel

In the picture from Warner Bros, the suit looks like it has an armor-like sheen  instead of a flat spandex quality, but Cavill still has the boots, cape and trademark “S” on his chest.

The Zack Snyder-directed film, slated for June 14, 2013, also stars Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Clark Kent’s adoptive parents Martha and Jonathan Kent. Superman’s Kryptonian parents Jor-El and Lara Lor-Van will be played by Russell Crowe and Julia Ormond.

Superman’s villains include Michael Shannon as the evil General Zod and Antje Traue as Zod’s partner, Faora. Rounding out the cast are Harry Lennix as U.S. military man General Swanwick, as well as Christopher Meloni as Colonel Hardy.

superman jim lee missiles Superman photo: Henry Cavill as the Man of Steel

Superman by Jim Lee (DC Comics)

Snyder has said he will take the hero into new places on screen. “Superman is the one constant in the universe,” Snyder told Hero Complex in March. “You know that if you do Superman right — or at least if you do him with respect — you know you end up with something great. … [but] in some ways [beyond] that is virgin territory. No one knows what that is. In some ways Superman is the most recognizable superhero on the planet but also the most unknown. Just what he can be? People have preconceived ideas about him but probably all of them are wrong.”

– Noelene Clark

zack snyder ladder Superman photo: Henry Cavill as the Man of Steel

Snyder: ‘There have been no other Superman films’

‘Man of Steel’: Henry Cavill and speeding bullets

Morrison to Hollywood: Make Superman a ‘brawler’

Look, up in the sky it’s … Henry Cavill

Snyder: Superman is a tough one to crack

U.K. actors now play Superman, Batman, Spidey

Eastwood: I was offered Superman role in ’70s

‘Avengers’: Marvel’s new approach to Hulk

Warners: “Green Lantern 2″ will be darker

‘DKR’: The Bat, the Cat and the Rat

‘Spider-Man’: Marc Webb will reinvent hero

Comments

74 Responses to ‘Superman’ photo: Henry Cavill as the ‘Man of Steel’

1. JDobal.net says:

Weird . . . he looks like Mitt Romney.

2. BTC says:

Let's hope they learned from the misguided political correctness that torpedoed the previous reboot of Superman. He's an American hero, created by Jewish men to fight the Nazis, deal with it.

• Hop says:

Actually, the original Superman was a depression era New-Deal Democrat fighting against mobsters, fighting for the poor and such, it wasn't until war broke out that the whole "American Way" thing came about…

• clark says:

your right about the depression era but your wrong about superman being a democrat fighting for the poor…Superman has no political views and its often speculated that the original supes would be leaning more towards the right because of his fascists ideas..superman was created to give hope to people during one of the worst times in America history

• clark says:

actually ur wrong…superman was created in the depression era but not as a democrat fighting for the poor, the original superman had very little political views. It is actually said that if superman were anything he would be leaning more towards the right because of his fascist ideas. Superman was created to give people hope in one of Americas worst times

• WHR says:

Actually the first two years of his exploits in Action Comics were ripped from Philip Wylie's Gladiator. Superman is Hugo Danner, deal with that, my friend.

• Lorne says:

Superman must be Jewish. Look at all the Shiksa's he goes out with…

3. Classico says:

If Harry Potter HAD to be British (which I understand) then SUPERMAN MUST be AMERICAN and NOT British- which Warner obviously does NOT understand. This is a travesty. They did not want to train an American to SOUND British, but here they will have to train a Brit to SOUND American–and BE AMERICAN. Sorry, that does an injustice to a great American ICON.

• Demlin94 says:

It is actually only because of Potter author J K Rowling's sanctions that Warner Bros had to use British actors for the films – otherwise they may well have been open to casting Americans. Henry Cavill was chosen as Superman because the director had no such restriction, and so was then able to find the right person he believes will do justice to the character, with the acting ability to boot. They didn't HAVE to pick him. He looks the part and I'm sure will sound the part. He will do great portraying and honouring the character of Superman – who is a actually a Kryptonian, brought up in America so sounds American, and who is actually a World icon.

• Antigone says:

Harry Potter was born in England. Clark Kent was born in Krypton. As far as I know, he never filled for US citizenship.

So I won't be satisfied until a Kryptonian is cast as Clark Kent. Americans might have adopted him as an icon but he will always be an illegal alien at heart!

• Alex Michaels says:

Technically Superman is an alien from another planet. Although he was raised in the midwest (Smallville is in Kansas I believe). He holds true to America as his home because of his adoptive parent the kents, but he is an alien. HIs native language is not any Earth dialect. So I don't see anything wrong with him being played by a British actor. On the other hand, the new Spiderman and Batman are played by British actors and they are supposed to be America. Spiderman is from New York and Batman from Gotham city (aka New York).

• Laurent says:

Classico Superman is an ALIEN from KRYPTON who by chance settles in the US. How does Krypton sounds even REMOTELY American to you? Why should Kryptonians have an AMERICAN accent rather than a British one? Sure enough he was raised by americans parents but gheez Supe is neither American or British he is an ALIEN. Plus Bale is Welsh and he does an outstanding job as an American heroe called Batman!

• trajan saldana says:

Ummmm Superman isnt American…he's from Krypton

4. WHATCHEL says:

LOVE IT!

5. malagacove says:

where is the curl? what is up with the texture of the suit? why is his hair all puffy? come on, there is 70 years of reference art to refer to. why mess with perfection? please do not make Supes 'cutting edge'.

6. dan says:

Zod? Again. are he and Lex the only ones that exist in the super-verse?

7. Boss Jock Spydee says:

Ah, whatever happened to … cloth?

8. kongwhopper says:

Is that Mel Kiper JR as Superman???

9. Kess says:

I like that the material doesn't look Earth-made. He is an alien, after all . . .

10. zabbot says:

Wow,

Looks like Zack is headed to M-Night land. Ouch.. 300 was so great, Zack.. Zack.. Zack…. Get it back.

11. Dickens says:

the hair!!…what is up with that hair??
    and oh please tell me that's not burgundy on the boots…it's too dark to make out…but I dread it maybe burgundy.

12. Yawn. I just don’t care. Superman isn’t a hero. Our heroes are brave, courageous individuals standing up to something bigger than they are. Superman is a near powerful god with (almost) no weaknesses. There’s no bravery involved when you know you can’t get hurt … there’s only showing off. People don’t cheer someone like that – They usually want to be him and hate that they can’t. As a matter of fact in the comics when people turn on Superman, he usually runs away. A hero doesn’t leave, he understands their hatred and fights for them anyway. Screw this movie … it’s lame from the start.

• guesst says:

Superman defines hero in every sense of the word. Despite his power, there are several beings and things that can hurt him. It's his character that make him the hero not just his powers and his natural display of his powers does not mean that he is a show off.

13. Steph says:

The costume looks fine…..

I'm so NOT digging the hair though….it makes him look weird and older than he probably really is….someone should fix that ASAP!!!

14. skepperson says:

Relax, all you superhero fans. :) Henry Cavill is an incredible actor. He can do this.

15. shusterfan says:

I like the costume (high marks, good job), if the red will be better than Superman Retruns- hard to say in this indoor pic. I like that the S is bigger and its the Golden Age S shield, but…..

Message to Greg Boucher—Please call Zach Snyder and tell him that the hairdo is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trim the temples, or use more gel to flatten the hair on the side because Cavill has a high hairline and the puffy side hair LOOKS HORRIBLE. But it does look like Mitt Romney, or Travlota, if Snyder is looking for a disco dancing, Mormon Superman type of look.

I know he still has time to change the haiordo in reshoots, so — TRIM THAT HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, Greg— Call Zach!!!!!

16. Karan says:

This is Awesome!!!!!!!!

17. Krypto says:

Another Superhero Movie MisCast… Why do they screw up the best comic book heroes? Looks like a Bollywood Warner Brothers Pick… The WB spent ten years making a TV show called Smallville, Its a wonder why they didn't use Tom Welling for the movie version.

• brettghampton says:

Because Warners didn't want "Smallville: The Movie." They wanted to reinvent the movie franchise, not transition "Smallville" to the big screen, where its many shortcomings would become glaringly apparent. Welling would never have been an appropriate Superman.

18. Sheesh says:

The hair is just so freaky, but if you crop his face below the hairline, he doesn't look half-bad. If you look closely, he's got some kinda stripe down the length of his leg, which leads me to think they got rid of the trunks. Just wish the colors were a little brighter – not ridiculously bright like SR – but less depressing. Also what's with the material? It looks like they sewed this together from the threads leftover from the Amazing Spider-man. It's the super non-slip bathtub mat guy.

19. Peter says:

Not going to watch the movie.
    Brandon Routh is a better Superman, reboot or not. I don't think people realize that he has a substantial following.
    And the suit looks like something Tim Burton would dream up.
    And his cape dragging on the floor because it's too long, come on!

• brettghampton says:

Brandon Routh was hogtied into a Christopher Reeve impression in a movie that called fore precious little acting. His "Clark Kent" was a zero. Reeve had personality; Routh had none.

20. Duncan says:

He looks exactly how he was going to look as James Bond.

21. David Thompson says:

Guys this is a REBOOT, we cant expect to keep churning out the same old Superman time after time, times have changed, i think the suit looks incredible with a hugely built Henry Cavill really looking the part, im so proud being a Brit that a fellow Brit will be playing the greatest superhero of all time.

22. joe says:

how about that ring on his hand?

23. Emily says:

Why do people keep talking about Brandon Routh and Tom Welling? Do you not know what "reboot" means? It means we're starting over…how would hiring someone who has already played Superman fit in with that plan?

Brandon Routh was boring – no one can BE Chris Reeve, so I'm not interested in watching someone deliver a performance based on trying to do just that and not much else. I'd rather see something new. And Smallville – whatever, that show ran it's course and it's over. Who says Tom Welling would even WANT to play the same character for the rest of his career?

• Pak says:

It's so refreshing to have someone say all this. I, like you, am so tired of the complainers and people crying about how Christopher Reeve was the greatest Superman. I DO NOT want to see another love story revolving around the tale of Superman. I want action, new characters, someone other than Lex Luthor as a damn villain. I am looking forward to the reboot of Superman and can only hope that they take him in a completely different direction then the Reeve era or that love triangle starring Routh.

So stop complaining and be happy that we are getting Superman. Hopefully more than just this one movie too.

24. alex says:

nope, not buying it. routh at least looked like superman. this guy looks like the guy that serves me my latte.

• Tinwoods says:

He "looked" like Superman? Which of the five or so actors who have played Superman? Which of the dozen or so artists's illustrated rendering of Superman? Did Christian Bale "look" like Bruce Wayne? Tobey Maguire like Peter Parker? Robert Downey like Ray Stark? Try opening your mind just a bit, Alex.

25. James says:

Batman returns was amazing and rich do that with superman and you have a story we care about.
    It needs to be dark not bright and shiny flying..very difficult.good luck

26. Noire Method says:

Ok, is it me or am I expecting too much in asking for *new* Superman material? Are we going all the way back to the beginning to baby Superman? Haven't this been done several times already? And the cast, are you fricken kidding me? Haven't you learned something from the failure of Superman Return? Guess not.

27. Carlos says:

This will not be like Batman Returns because it will have a lot of sequences with super long slow motion scenes in it instead of a really good script and truly remarkable villains

28. Ed H says:

Agreed, Emily…. This is a REBOOT. Brandon Routh sucked… He looked like a boy and was trying too hard to fill Christoper Reeves.

This looks great; Nolan reimagined Batman and his villains, and look how well that went.

Additionally, the costume looks great… It's not supposed to be cloth… It's alien material (aka doesn't tear, burn, etc…)

And the ring on his hand is a reflection of light/spark from whatever damage is going on…

Stop hating everybody… This looks real and not like the boyscout crap Routh did.

29. Nick says:

Joesph Godfrey your a moron. So if superman isn't a hero cuz he's almost godlike what would you call Thor?

30. Solomon III says:

What's with the muted colors of his suit? Doesn't anyone believe in primary colors anymore?

31. raymond says:

Superman is simply one of the LAMEST superheroes EVER! His costume? Cheesy as hell!! A big S on his chest?? Rediculous!!!!!! The most powerful super hero of all time is Dr Manhatten. He can control all forms of matter and could kill the so called man of steel with a mere thought. Suyperman is ALMOST as lame as that other dweeb Aqua Man..Controlling fish? Dumb dumd dumb…

32. giovanni says:

WTF?? All the DC movies are going to suck?? lol

33. jerson honrado says:

im clarkville a fanatic in superman the custome is awesome but whats wrong in the hair…….Please kindly change the hair….

34. MrL says:

It is it me or does that cape look about ten feet long and just as wide?

35. shusterfan says:

I hate the muted colors in Superman's costume. IT'S GOT TO BE RED, YELLOW AND BLUE!!! If this movie comes out in muted colors, I hope someone takes the movie, using video software -hikes up the saturation so the costume won't be BURGANDY AND GRAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Hollywood- stop using those colors on heores like Superman, get a clue!

36. allan says:

personally i've always wanted a longer cape, it seems a bit more impressive than a smaller one, in my the costumes not bad at all. Its a new age, modernizing isnt all that bad, i just hope the movie isn't all CGI-ed up; I've big hopes for this movie and no qualms with the leading man, just fix the hair.

37. SKF says:

How about you look at the setting, what scene do you think it's portraying… It looks like he was just punched by Zod, thrown across the room really hard, but he's getting up; now look at his expression, he can't be all shiny in that moment. This actually looks promising to me, it's makes superman believeable

38. kavitesh jattan says:

This is sooo unfair coz we''v been watching tom welling in smallville for the past decade as a young superman..he derseves to be in the new superman movie !!!..he might deny it but we all know how he would feel not being the new superman..the new guy is so pathetic and i think the movie won't turn out great !!! tom welling deserves this and i bet more people agree with me then with the new guy..this people should should rethink and put tom welling back as the superman !!!!!!!

• anthony casoria says:

i anthony stephen casoria was born superman sept 9 1971 in bpt ct only loves to save people and help people in bpt ct you can found me superman in bpt health care center with a superman cap on and a mustsha in bpt ct only there is a real superman iam only superman!

• lauralee says:

I think he was asked and said no…he needed a rest from Superman…Don’t quote me, but that’s wht i heard…I get it, but I agree, he is the BEST Superman…I have re-Watching the Smallville series over and ovef…I love it…thru Netflix and on TNT channel..;-)

39. Sups92 says:

The only thing i don't like is the hair and the texture of the suit, scale like. The hair makes him look like he's balding, it just needs to be combed to the side and needs a curl. The suit just looks like fish skin.

40. Amit says:

Where are his eyebrows?! I think that's also what makes the photo of our new Kal-El look so odd

41. COSMO says:

I AM A DIEHARD SUPERMAN FAN AND AFTER SITTING THROUGH THE DEBACLE WHIS WAS SUPERMAN RETURNS WITH THE ILLEGITIMATE CHILD AND THE TERRIBLE COLOR OF THE SUIT AND THE SUPERMAN PERV SCENE I THINK I WILL SAVE ME 11 DOLLARS THIS TIME AROUND, HE'S GOT AN AFRO WHERE IT SHOULD BE SHORT AND SLEEK HIS SUIT IS BAGGY NEAR HIS HAND COME ON, WHY CAN'T THEY JUST TAKE A CUE FROM CHRISTOPHER REEVES WHO WITH BAD SPECIAL SPECIAL EFFECTS COULD FLY RINGS AROUND THESES LOSERS I'M NOT EVEN STARTING IN ON HOW PERRY WHITE IS LAWRENCE (MY LAST GREAT MOVIE WAS THE FIRST MATRIX FISHBURNE) I AM SO UPSET.

42. Carlo says:

All you nay sayers are going to to be eating crow if Cavill turns out a great performance. Cutting the guy down before seeing the movie just isn't cool. Okay, so the costume's colors seem a little dark, but we haven't seen Cavill in the light yet. But the design is fine. Thank God it's not the armor concept. That would have looked really stupid since Superman doesn't need armor. He's the Man of Steel! His hair does need the curl, that's part of Superman's look. But, no matter what negatives we throw at this Superman, we'll still go to see the movie. But, Lawrence Fishbourne as Perry White? That I don't get. I like Mr. Fishbourne, always thought he is a great actor, but when did Perry White turn black? I just don't get it. I'll bet Mr. Fishbourne himself was confused when he was offered the part. But, that's Hollywood. The only thing I really object to is that we will have to wait almost two years for the movie.

• Carlo says:

I have to reply to my own post. Weeks ago it was revealed that Henry Cavill tested for Superman in a replica of Christopher Reeve's costume and the response from Snyder and the film crew was that he was perfect for the role. Everyone said he looked liked the man of steel in the costume and had such a powerful presence in that costume. And even though I gave a favorable review on the new costume in my first post, I now find myself asking, why a new costume if he looked so good in Reeve's costume? It really doesn't make sense. If the "dated" costume worked in the film test, why would we think it wouldn't work for the movie? If we only could see Cavill in the replica of Reeve's costume. Somebody had to have taken photos at the screen test. So, now, the only thing to do is repeat the line,"if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

43. james phillips says:

superman has a curl that comes right down in the front of his hair. the suit is kind of cool. they shouldnt make him so "dark". thats always been a striking difference to me is a "bright" superman and a "dark" batman. dont fix it if it isnt broken

44. Quickster says:

the curl hair will be there when he is clark. as for the costume, it looks pretty good. mr. snyder did said he was going to bring superman into the real(todays ) world. kind of like a superman really exist right now.to me it makes sense because i dont think the curl little hair would still be there after zooming through the sky at super sonic speed.your hair will look like it's been brush back too if you fly that fast.remember ,superman in the real world.

45. Quickster says:

i like it

46. Anonymous1 says:

Superman SUCKS!
    He's the most useless & stupid (shit) supervillain created.(This needless & unnecessary loser like him is gonna ended up as a villain)
    Superman is scum, dumb moron & gangster asshole.(His brainless fans, actors, etc are weak-minded, sore losers with low IQ)
    All of his comics, cartoons, movies, dramas, etc are all shit, crap, garbage, rubbish & suck-ass.
    He must be removed from this face of this planet.
    Superman & his fans (forever) SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS & SUCKS!

47. Carlo says:

Have you seen the new photos of Henry Cavill in the suit? What are they thinking? I gave it an ok from the the first picture, but there is no way this is what Superman's suit should look like! Blue grey, no yellow shield on the cape, which by the way, drags on the ground. No red trunks. And what color is the cape,boots and the chest shield anyway? Not the red it should be, that's for sure. Cavill is in shape but the suit is a disaster.I only have one good thing to say and that is, at least it's tight fitting and the boots must be part of the leggings which makes them tight at the leg not a separate part of the suit. But, I will go see the movie anyway, because it's Superman. Maybe, in the two years, before it's released, they can reshoot the scenes with Cavill in a REAL Superman suit or use CGI to put the right colors to this suit and change what needs to be changed.

48. Damareo9 says:

yeah whats up with that i think use that blue from superman returns and this caville version there should be bright red cape and emblem and the yellow emblem on the back and at least have his belt as the emblem as well screw this dark superman nonsense and for zod we already seen him all we want is maybe they can make a death and return of superman like the game where u got eradicator man of steel superboy and cyborg and release super girl but any how even batman begins and dark knight were cheesy even tim burtons batman and matman returns were bad ass .

49. SUPERMAN says:

I ANTHONY STEPHEN SUPERMAN CASORIA IS THE ONLY REAL SUPERMAN ON EARTH! I ANTHONY STEPHEN SUPERMAN IS ALL THE SUPERMAN EVER BODY CALLS ME SUPERMAN ONLY!

50. Karl Mac says:

Another Superman come on let's see another super hero let's have some movie with Adam Strange or Aqua Man or Mangus Robot Fighter or is Hollywood clean out if ideas ?

51. superman says:

i real superman was born sept 9 1971 in bpt ct only there is a superman his here to stay on earth forever!

52. anthony s casoria says:

the real original superman of all superman is anthony s casoria with superman catholic superman powers and alll superman powers only!