‘The Dark Knight Rises’ trailer offers a bleak portrait of Gotham

Dec. 19, 2011 | 2:42 p.m.
dark knight rises bane1 The Dark Knight Rises trailer offers a bleak portrait of Gotham

Tom Hardy plays Bane in "The Dark Knight Rises," the final installment of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy. (Warner Bros.)

“The Dark Knight Rises” has a trailer out, and it reveals a portrayal of Gotham that’s more bleak (if that’s possible) than the first two films in Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy, “Batman Begins” and “The Dark Knight.”

Judging from the trailer, “The Dark Knight Rises” promises a deeper look at Bruce Wayne’s character and his relationship with his butler Alfred (played again by Michael Caine), a ruthless villain in Bane (Tom Hardy), and plenty of action and explosions, including an incredible scene on a football field. Catwoman is strangely missing; Anne Hathaway is shown whispering in Wayne’s (Christian Bale) ear, and her silky voice provides narration for the trailer, but she’s not in her kitty regalia. Check out the trailer below, and let us know what you think in the comments.

The film, which opens July 20, stars Bale, Hardy, Hathaway, Caine, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman,  Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Marion Cotillard.

— Noelene Clark

christophernolan tall The Dark Knight Rises trailer offers a bleak portrait of GothamChristopher Nolan opens up about Bane choice

Christian Bale says goodbye to Gotham

‘DKR’: Where to see the IMAX preview

The creator of the Joker, dead at 89

‘Dark Knight Rises’: Tom Hardy as Bane

Nolan on his favorite scene in ‘Dark Knight’

‘DKR’: Anne Hathaway as Catwoman

‘DKR’: The Bat, the Rat and the Cat

Michael Keaton’s dark memories of ‘Batman’

Nolan: Hollywood takes too many shortcuts

Comments

19 Responses to ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ trailer offers a bleak portrait of Gotham

1. miguel says:

I think the catwoman will have a role similar to that of two face in the dark knight

2. Goronman12 says:

One word. Epic. I am guessing bruce is captured by bane put in prison and bane breaks his back. Then catwoman saves him. Just a guess though.

3. Andrew says:

Occupy Gotham !!

4. Eric says:

I think Bane will break Batmans back fairly early in the movie. While Bruce is recovering Gotham will fall into chaos. Batman will accelerate his healing using the Lazarous pit…(its why they filmed in India near some hot springs???) and learn about Bane and how to stop him. Then Batman will "Rise" and defeat Bane.

5. Chung says:

Surprisingly little Batman in it. I wonder if Nolan's Batman is epic because they aren't so much about heroes as they are about the city they inhabit.

6. BobMann says:

Wow, Based on this and watching the prologue Bane is going to be intense!
    Anne Hathaway sounds so tantilizing!
    And you can really feel the emotional core in this movie.
    "You are as precious to me as you were to your own mother and father, I swore to them that I would protect you -and I havent" Ahh so great!

And the line " When Gotham is Ashes, you have my permission to die" really brings home Bane's blunt calculated atitude!

7. Movie Guy says:

Im glad that they're saving the Catwoman stuff for later. It gives people more to look forward to when we move closer to its release date.
    You don't lay your best cards on the table all at once.

8. Praveen says:

The football scene looks awesome…definitely the most anticipated movie of 2012

9. Guest says:

Seeing Batman active and fighting during daylight…interesting. Symbolic even.

10. Chris says:

Sorry — looks overwrought, pretentious, bleak and no fun. somebody tell chris nolan to lighten up; it's a comic book movie…

11. What-Zit-Toya says:

I don't know about any Lazzarus pits….. Christopher Nolan keeps things realistic, and that's just too sci-fi. I think Bane took over when Ra's Al Ghul died. If you wach the promo, Bane refers to one of his lackies as "brother" and he was willing to die in the plane for the plan to work out. Ra's' organzation in Batman Begins operated something like that. But no Lazzarus pits.

Catwoman's going to be more of an anti-hero from my guess. At leat a theif or cat-burgaler (pun intended) like she was in the comics. But Kyle was never one of those "master plan" villains–just an antagonist that sleeps with bruce while he still has the cowl on. (heh, heh.)

In one clip, you see a huge crowd of men with AK-47s and clubs–most of them in prison jumpsuits–following Bane down the streets. I think Bane will unleash the 552 criminals Harvey Dent locked away and completely undo what Batman, Dent, and Gordon worked/sacraficed for in The Dark Knight, turning Gotham into the rotting pithole it was before.

12. Spazz says:

I am not liking the referances to the occupy junk, this (script) came out way before occupy. I have seen these refrences numerous times on different on-line blogs. (Just wanted to add that in here)

I really fell in love with this trailer the first time I saw it, I was actually brought to tears when Bane (Tom Hardy) came out. My two characters I am looking forward to are Bane (Tom Hardy) and Selina Kyle/Catwoman (Anne Hathaway). I think their performances will blow Christian Bale out of the water. Was not a fan of the other two movies, but I am looking forward for this one. Tom Hardy is going to rip Batman (Christian) to shreds. I really do hope he breaks Batman's back towards the end of the movie, just to sympolize the legend ending. Kyle is going to be amazing, I think. I did not believe Anne was going to pull it off, but after seeing this tid bit, DAMN!!! She is going to kick ass!!!! I will dare say she is going to be at the level as Michelle's Catwoman, again this is my opinion and my own list that I have of spectacular Batman characters.

13. The suckafoo says:

Bane looks like hannible lector with a leather coat. Catwoman looks like anne hathaway with an eye mask. The trailer looks bad and the characters look worse, keep your fingers crossed that this doesnt fail.

14. represent4life says:

totally looks like tha movies gonna rock can't wait til I see it. I totally love Batman dont take me wrong but i think the Joker is way awesome.

15. Victoria says:

It's going to be epic. Nolan knows what he's doing.